*****COWBOYS 2017 Offseason Thread*****

214,214 Views | 3078 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtstanley4621
blackgoldag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to them to go defense but could you imagine adding Howard and coming out with two tes and doing play action with him and witten. Would be beautiful
birdman
The opponent had a better defensive line than Dallas in every game, except maybe one or two. That's where the team can really improve.
Macarthur
birdman said:

With your first pick, you draft the best defensive lineman available. Period. Don't even look at other positions.

With your second pick, you draft the best available defensive player, lineman, linebacker, or secondary.

With your third pick, you draft the best available defensive player, lineman, linebacker, or secondary.

You can pick up decent wide receivers later in round or in free agency. You have great players at nearly every skill position and rock solid offensive line. No need to use early draft pick on offense.

I agree. Gotta go DL early. DB is a need too.
Grapesoda2525
Who do you guys want to see not come back next year?

Butler- doesn't seem to have a brain. Not that good at catching passes either

Whitehead- makes terrible decisions as Kick returner.

Can we finally get rid of Brandon "toast" Carr?

Doug free- not very good
ApachePilot
AG
Not a cowboy fan but i respect how the team built around the oline first. My Hawks did the same and then couldn't afford all the skill players $$$ and screwed ourselves. Hope the boys get smart quick. Paying romo 100 million was literally inexcusable. Free that cap space and draft well. Cowboys of late have been solid in the draft!!

I could see a sophomore slump in dak. A year of tape to help defenses. But I don't think any amount of tape slows Zeke. Wish he was a Seahawk!!!

Here's to a good draft and seeing you guys in the NFC Championship next year.
Ag12thman
AG
Seahawks are gonna be just fine going forward too. Need to get healthy and they'll be legit, as usual.
Matsui
AG
Romo is being cut. No team will take that big salary for him. He can sign a 1 year Ryan fitszpatrick deal for around $13 million somewhere else and be a starting qb. Or take a paycut to $2-3 million.
PooDoo
AG
Isn't Romo's base salary only $14-15 mil? Cowboys are stuck with the bonus and the base is the only thing that the other team is on the hook for, right?

Romo is WAY better than Fitz.
Southlake
Said the same thing last year - need defensive picks.

Scary thing is the expectation from 2016. Cowboys generally follow a great season with a lousy season lately...
Ag12thman
AG
Yep and you cannot forget about injuries. Cowboys have had a few players who generally get injured every season. This season they stayed very healthy and were one of the healthiest teams going into the playoffs. Next year, you could have Dak hurt, Elliott hurt, half the OL hurt, Lee hurt, Witten (getting old) hurt, etc., etc. That's why they really needed to get the Super Bowl this season. Home field advantage locked up; much more healthy than Green Bay and even New England. Sickening.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
really frustrating that we are going into next offseason needing a lot of the same things we needed last offseason. a lot of us knew it then and the Cowboys organization just expected Marinelli to "coach em up" on the defensive side of the ball and it cost us again this year (much like it did in 2014).

as we've beaten to death we need defenders in the worst way. DE, DT, and CB. we need a true playmaker at Safety too. Byron Jones is a good quality kid but he is NOT a playmaker. i'm hoping he can still play CB so they can let Mo and / or Carr walk.

don't be shocked if Dallas does absolutely nothing as far as adding big name FA and don't be shocked if that first round pick goes to Doug Free's replacement. honestly i think its very possible we see another low key offseason drafting BPAs and not making too much of a splash in free agency.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ag12thman said:

Yep and you cannot forget about injuries. Cowboys have had a few players who generally get injured every season. This season they stayed very healthy and were one of the healthiest teams going into the playoffs. Next year, you could have Dak hurt, Elliott hurt, half the OL hurt, Lee hurt, Witten (getting old) hurt, etc., etc. That's why they really needed to get the Super Bowl this season. Home field advantage locked up; much more healthy than Green Bay and even New England. Sickening.
this is really what frustrates me the most. they had all their guys healthy. you couldn't have asked for a better situation. the chances of staying healthy like that again next year are pretty slim. on top of that you have an older Witten and older Lee.

they really ****** this opportunity up.
Ag12thman
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

really frustrating that we are going into next offseason needing a lot of the same things we needed last offseason. a lot of us knew it then and the Cowboys organization just expected Marinelli to "coach em up" on the defensive side of the ball and it cost us again this year (much like it did in 2014).

as we've beaten to death we need defenders in the worst way. DE, DT, and CB. we need a true playmaker at Safety too. Byron Jones is a good quality kid but he is NOT a playmaker. i'm hoping he can still play CB so they can let Mo and / or Carr walk.

don't be shocked if Dallas does absolutely nothing as far as adding big name FA and don't be shocked if that first round pick goes to Doug Free's replacement. honestly i think its very possible we see another low key offseason drafting BPAs and not making too much of a splash in free agency.
Yep - agree on all points. Jones just doesn't care about defense it seems. It's all O and that is NOT going to get you to and/or win you a Super Bowl. You simply have to have a defense that can make plays when it absolutely must do so. We saw this last year in the Super Bowl with Denver. If he doesn't do something to beef up the D in those spots you mentioned (DE, DT, and CB), with a few more offensive injuries than this year, the Cowboys may not even win the division and/or get to the playoffs next season.
Ag12thman
AG
How old is Witten and how old is Lee?
mts6175
AG
blackgoldag11 said:

I want to them to go defense but could you imagine adding Howard and coming out with two tes and doing play action with him and witten. Would be beautiful
Said it on one of the other threads, I still want to see the Cowboys draft OJ Howard if he's there. He's too good and it's going to be a need in the next year or so, hell it may already be a need. Having a TE like that always makes the defense respect it and opens up options. Witten is a prime example.
misterguinness
AG
At some point you will have to ask if Jason Garrett has maxed out his abilities. 1 playoff win in 7 seasons. Seems like there is always an excuse. John Fox was fired a year after going to the Super Bowl and the results were very good
NukeAg10
AG
Have dak, Zeke, dez, and the best Oline in the NFL. Just need to build the defense next season. Cowboys are built for the future.
Ag12thman
AG
misterguinness said:

At some point you will have to ask if Jason Garrett has maxed out his abilities. 1 playoff win in 7 seasons. Seems like there is always an excuse. John Fox was fired a year after going to the Super Bowl and the results were very good
He's not getting it done, period.
BBQ4Me
AG
Is the only way the Cowboys can trade Romo is if he agrees to a salary cut, making a trade more palatable for the other team?
Boiling Denim
Southlake said:

Said the same thing last year - need defensive picks.

Scary thing is the expectation from 2016. Cowboys generally follow a great season with a lousy season lately...
It's usually preceded by Jerruh making some boneheaded trade for a WR that's worthless and blows our draft prospects.

Let's just pray Hopkins re-signs and doesn't give Jerruh any crazy ideas....
corleoneAg99
AG
Goal for the draft first and foremost is don't trade away picks and don't pick guys who you know will NOT play.

Do that and they really can't botch the draft.
Boiling Denim
corleoneAg99 said:

Goal for the draft first and foremost is don't trade away picks and don't pick guys who you know will NOT play.

Do that and they really can't botch the draft.
You forget our patented Special Teams Draft and equally as bad Back-ups Draft(since we're so good and we don't need any starters)
Sea Gull
AG
Can someone that understands contracts and salary caps please post the current free agents for the Cowboys, etc? It would be useful to see who to keep/let go as a starting point...
Ag Natural
AG
birdman said:

With your first pick, you draft the best defensive lineman available. Period. Don't even look at other positions.

With your second pick, you draft the best available defensive player, lineman, linebacker, or secondary.

With your third pick, you draft the best available defensive player, lineman, linebacker, or secondary.

You can pick up decent wide receivers later in round or in free agency. You have great players at nearly every skill position and rock solid offensive line. No need to use early draft pick on offense.

Drafting by need alone is a horrible strategy. That's how you end up with Shante Carver or Ebenezer Ekuban in the 1st round.
Ag Natural
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

This defense lacks a consistent pass rusher but they've actually done a pretty good job drafting defense the last few years. Collins, Brown, jones, Hitchens and Wilson are all from the last two draft classes. The Gregory and Lawrence picks are preventing them from being complete geniuses since those guys had question marks coming in and haven't con tribute much. I hope they don't reach for a guy but that has to be the top priority this year. I doubt they have the cap room to go after a JPP level FA.

If Claiborne signs for cheap you keep him, otherwise let him go. A late round pick can fill his production and they have too much invested in the secondary already.
Boiling Denim
Duck Patrol said:

Can someone that understands contracts and salary caps please post the current free agents for the Cowboys, etc? It would be useful to see who to keep/let go as a starting point...
http://overthecap.com/calculator/dallas-cowboys/

You can fiddle around with that site quite a bit.

Romo and Free are the big ones. Witten would save some cash if he retires or restructures. If he were on the Patriots he'd be cut no question but I doubt we go that route

That prob frees up enough money to extend a few guys, resign a handful and sign your draft picks.

Don't see much else unless you get ruthless and start cutting long-time players and forcing restructures.
Macarthur
Obviously, need to go heavy on defense.

With J. Smith, if we can make one reasonable signing in FA (not a monster deal), and hit on a high draft pick (DL, DL, DL!!!!), this defense could transform pretty quickly.

Collins was good this year and should make some strides in his second year. I think the LBers have a chance to be outstanding next year.

I think the one thing we are missing is a dynamic edge rusher.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

I could see a sophomore slump in dak. A year of tape to help defenses.

Green Bay had a year of tape to work with yesterday and Dak still threw for 302, 3TDs, and ran in a 2pt conversion. If anything, I think Dak will benefit from going through the full offseason program as QB1.
TyHolden
AG
Oj Howard is not leaving this year...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624996/article/oj-howard-announces-alabama-return-via-twitter
jtstanley4621
AG
The thing that makes this sting so badly is that we were the healthiest we'd been, the offense shook out of a funk, and none of it mattered because they had Rodgers and an unhealthy amount of luck. Here were some events that left me shaking my head: the ball snaking its way back through the uprights on that second 50 yard FG attempt, or somehow a fumbled snap ending up perfectly in Montgomery's arms. Or Rodgers' first TD pass coming down about an inch above Sean Lee's shoulder pads. After all the BS things that I've been through watching A&M football and the Cowboys, I really did feel like I deserved to have a win like that. But ultimately the sports gods said no.
jtstanley4621
AG
DSAg44 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000624996/article/oj-howard-announces-alabama-return-via-twitter

That was posted after the 2015 season. This year was his last year of eligibility.
JAggie2007
AG
DSAg44 said:

Grapesoda2525
Officials seemed to call a tight game against Dallas and not so much against Green Bay.

How could Green Bay pass the whole game and NOT get a single offensive holding penalty?

Were these SEC refs or what?
Ag12thman
AG
They let a lot of holding go in that one, but yeah - I thought the officiating was pro-Packer (or seemed to be), too.
TyHolden
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

DSAg44 said:

That was posted after the 2015 season. This year was his last year of eligibility.
yeah, still not recovered from tailgate yet. Forgot bama lost this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.