*****COWBOYS 2017 Offseason Thread*****

213,090 Views | 3078 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtstanley4621
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Grapesoda2525
2016 sucked. Terrible season. Hopefully next year they can finally make the NFC title game.
Olsen
AG
Keep Romo for next season.
Hice89
AG
Dallas should load up on Defensive players on the upcoming draft with the hope that they find a handful of difference makers for next season.
jr15aggie
AG
Dak & Zeke will make rookie contract money for the next 4 years... I love you Tony, but you gotta go so that in 2017, 18, & 19 we make a real run at the Super Bowl.

Thanks for the great season guys!
BenFiasco14
AG
Juan
Joe Exotic
AG
What can they realistically expect for Romo?
Grapesoda2525
Please get something decent for Romo.

I will lose it if he goes to a team for nothing and makes them super bowl contenders.
corleoneAg99
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

What can they realistically expect for Romo?

At his cap figure...probably not a lot.
Joe Exotic
AG
Hoping for maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder
chris1515
AG
Give Marinelli some more quality guys on defense to work with. I'm not sure there isn't a position on the defense that can't be upgraded.

Get a backup TE that can make some plays.

I also want to see some WR depth.

Don't get cute in the 2nd round of the draft and go for someone with a lot of potential but an issue of some kind. Difference makers are needed NOW.
TJJackson
I didn't watch the game, but was listening to Babe and Brad on the call. It was a punch to the gut because Brad called it a miss initially and then corrected himself. I had hope and relief for a fleeting moment.

Sucks for it to end the way it did, but I was encouraged to see the way the team fought and clawed back.

Would like to see the Cowboys load up on D in the upcoming draft. Going to be a long offseason.
JW
AG
Just draft the best defensive players available.
JW
AG
Sprinkle in some solid free agents, we are looking good.
PatAg
AG
leakypipes said:

I didn't watch the game, but was listening to Babe and Brad on the call. It was a punch to the gut because Brad called it a miss initially and then corrected himself. I had hope and relief for a fleeting moment.

Sucks for it to end the way it did, but I was encouraged to see the way the team fought and clawed back.

Would like to see the Cowboys load up on D in the upcoming draft. Going to be a long offseason.
We have actually spent picks on Defense too, they have just all not panned out. Like spending a 2nd round pick on a player that you know isn't playing for at least 1 year, and possibly never.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Have to load up on D. Lots of FA on that side of the ball. Also think we need another WR or 2. Williams is a FA as well and will get paid.

Wilcox is a FA, Claiborne, church also? Irving will get paid. I think Durant is on a onebyear deal.
JW
AG
All replaceable.
FriscoKid
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Hoping for maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder

Wrong...
Ag12thman
AG
They need defense in a bad way. Romo is likely gone, IMO. Don't think he will stand on that sideline when he is perfectly capable of making a team with bad QB play a contender instantly.
Aggie_Jeff
Great young nucleus. Cowboys get Jaylon Smith next year.

Need a DE, another CB and a TE for sure and just keep making smart picks on day 3 to add depth.

Disappointed but great year.
Ag12thman
AG
I don't want Williams back. He's average. We can get a better WR for that money.
Amazing Moves
Getting rid of Romo's cap hit is good enough. They need to sign Zack Martin. Pick up defense through the draft and sign mid-level free-agents that don't cost too much but, fit well with the schemes. Jaylon Smith is coming along. Brice Butler is good enough to take over for Terrence Williams. Get a 3rd or 4th round WR.. like Carlos Henderson from La Tech.

OJ Howard would be phenomenal in this offense but, we need defense too bad. But... Damn.

We need DE, S, DT, LB, WR, Corner
Ag12thman
AG
Agree - Romo's cap has to go or you CAN'T add needed talent. Agree with you on WR, too. I just don't think Williams is getting it done regularly enough to bring back. Gotta replace him and add another dependable WR, IMO.

Now you have to get through another 16 games while keeping players like Lee and Witten healthy.
birdman
First three picks should be defense. Same with free agency. And get a back up quarterback.
DM44
Players projected to still be available when Dallas selects (around #27)

Montravius Adams, DE/DT, Auburn
Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
DeMarcus Walker, DE/DT, Florida State
O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
John Ross, WR, Washington
Malik McDowell, DE/DT, Michigan State

Aggie_Jeff
DM44 said:

Players projected to still be available when Dallas selects (around #27)

Montravius Adams, DE/DT, Auburn
Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
DeMarcus Walker, DE/DT, Florida State
O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
John Ross, WR, Washington
Malik McDowell, DE/DT, Michigan State

Add Charles Harris, DE Missouri
Macarthur
I really like the McKinley kid out of ucla. Also Thomas out of Stanford might be there.
Macarthur
Willis out of KSU is interesting too and most likely can get in the 2nd
JAggie2007
AG
If this team hadn't wasted so many picks on Tight Ends I wouldn't mind OJ Howard, they also need a pass rusher in the worst way.
corleoneAg99
AG
If Solomon Thomas does anything at the combine he won't be there.

Luckily it's a good edge and corner draft.
Ag12thman
AG
Macarthur said:

I really like the McKinley kid out of ucla. Also Thomas out of Stanford might be there.
Me too.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I hope you guys don't think we get 20mm in cap room if we release romo. It's only a 4-5mm savings in cap room.
Mateo84
AG
I would say go with the best player available all the way through the draft at DL, LB, WR, and TE ... maybe a DB also depending on what free agency brings. Shouldn't have any draft needs at QB, RB, or O-line.

While there are obviously many holes on defense, I wouldn't mind a young stud WR in the 1st. T Williams sucks as a #2 and Dez is going to age. He'll be 29 next season. Get another star the same age as Dak, Zeke, and the O-line, and the offense is set for a decade.
Ag12thman
AG
Williams does suck. Guy needs to go and should have been gone before this year. Not sure what Jones' infatuation is with him.
birdman
With your first pick, you draft the best defensive lineman available. Period. Don't even look at other positions.

With your second pick, you draft the best available defensive player, lineman, linebacker, or secondary.

With your third pick, you draft the best available defensive player, lineman, linebacker, or secondary.

You can pick up decent wide receivers later in round or in free agency. You have great players at nearly every skill position and rock solid offensive line. No need to use early draft pick on offense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.