*****COWBOYS 2017 Offseason Thread*****

214,232 Views | 3078 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtstanley4621
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PooDoo
AG
. . .
Preseason schedule
Thursday, Aug. 3 - HOF Game: Arizona Cardinals (NBC, 7:00pm CT)
August 11-13 @LA Rams
August 18-20 vs. Indianapolis
August 25-27 vs. Oakland
August 31 @Houston

Fans will be able to attend public training camp practices at The Star in Frisco, Texas, from Aug. 21-29. The first practice in Oxnard, California, will be held on July 24.

Tentative dates
Sat., July 22: Team Charter arrives at Pt. Mugu
Sun., July 23: Opening press conference (11:00 a.m. PDT)
Mon., July 24: First practice - full roster (3:45 p.m. PDT)
Wed., Aug. 2: Team travels to Canton, Ohio
Thurs., Aug. 3: Hall of Fame Game vs. Arizona (7:00 p.m. CDT)
Sat., Aug. 5: Hall of Fame Enshrinement
Mon., Aug. 7: Practice Resumes (Oxnard, Calif.)
Aug. 11-13: Dallas @ Los Angeles, LA Memorial Coliseum
Fri., Aug. 18:Break camp in Oxnard - travel to Dallas
Aug. 18-20: Dallas vs. Indianapolis, AT&T Stadium
Mon., Aug. 21-Tue. Aug. 29: Training camp resumes at The Star in Frisco
Aug. 25-27: Dallas vs. Oakland, AT&T Stadium
Thurs., Aug. 31: Dallas @ Houston, NRG Stadium
jr15aggie
AG
I remember watching training camp in Austin. That was Emmitt's rookie year and man, let me tell you, it was no problem at all to stand right at the fence and watch practice. And after you got to stand in a crowd of maybe 20-40 people trying to get autographs. Mostly kids, none of the adults cared about getting the autographs of a team that hadn't had a winning season in a long while.

I didn't even bother trying to go a couple years later. Even as a kid I could watch the news broadcast and realize that it had become a circus filled with thousands of fair weather Cowboy fans (I was still bitter at all my friends who had suddenly switched alliances from the Oilers!!!).

But it was great that first year they came to Austin. Got lots of autographs like Emmitt, Jimmy Johnson, and Drew Pearson (had no idea who he was at the time). But Bill Bates was my treasured autograph though. Still remember standing next to him holding my training camp guide for him to sign.

PS: The one vivid image I remember the most was watching Nate Newton doing 10 yard wind sprints and just about dying! This was before Nate became Nate and we were all laughing at him. He was horribly out of shape.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
there's actually only 3.5 mths to that first HOF game!

2.5 mths to training camp!
jr15aggie
AG
You can find some brief vids on ESPN and other places showing Romo with the Mavs last night. That's friggin awesome. The guy has been such a class act, it's fitting that he be embraced by the community. Good bull Mark Cuban!!!

PS: Romo literally has an abundance of blessings on his life. Good looking guy, great personality that has landed him the best friends and one all around fantastic wife (not to mention one of the most desired positions in sports broadcasting). And on top of that, the guy is literally good at everything athletically. Watch the vids of him in the shoot around... guy can straight up ball. B-Ball, Football, Golf... I bet the guy can bend it like Beckham too. You make me sick Tony Romo..... can we be BFFs!?!
PooDoo
AG
If getting released by the Cowboys is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you've lived a pretty good life.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Tony should be HOF but he won't get in. Imagine the Cowboys all those years without tony carrying them and it's scary.
jtstanley4621
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

Tony should be HOF but he won't get in. Imagine the Cowboys all those years without tony carrying them and it's scary.

Furthermore imagine Romo on a team with a defense. The ultimate football atrocity will be the talk of Eli Manning's legacy and the hall of fame whenever he's done playing. Nobody illustrates the stupid inflating of a team achievement (a super bowl win) over actual individual statistical accomplishment better than Eli Manning.
jr15aggie
AG
TheCougarHunter said:

I'm a Tony supporter, but I've heard some good talk recently about his career and I can't say I disagree with any of it. Tony played long enough with enough quality teams that you can't really say he never had a team around him. Forget the Super Bowl, guy never even got to the NFC Championship.

He played with a HOF Tight End his entire career. He's constantly had Pro Bowl WRs to work with (granted, he made some of them look really good). For much of his career he had really good O-lines. At the very least he always had competent RBs.

Sure, he never had a dominating defense on the other side, but there were plenty of Pro Bowlers throughout the years and one no doubt about it 1st Ballot HOF DE. Some of those defenses were pretty good at times.

Point is, Romo never rallied the troops and got it done. Opportunities and team talent wasn't the problem, he had at least a few years in his long career when the team around him was good enough. Doesn't mean Tony was a loser, but he just wasn't able to get over the hump.

So, IMO, Tony will not get into the HOF and I don't think he deserves to either... but I still really loved watching him play! We were blessed to have him!
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

At the very least he always had competent RBs.
I agree with you mostly, but completely disagree with the above. Cowboys never had a competent RB or a running game until Demarco showed up.

But other than that, no, I don't think Tony is a HoFer either. Just pisses me off that people think Eli is (who I adamantly believe is less talented than Tony.)
aggiepaintrain
AG
Eli is a HOFer soley because of his last name, he will get in 1st ballot.
I don't think he has HOF talent but that's the way it works.

Not sure Romo gets in.
PatAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

TheCougarHunter said:

I'm a Tony supporter, but I've heard some good talk recently about his career and I can't say I disagree with any of it. Tony played long enough with enough quality teams that you can't really say he never had a team around him. Forget the Super Bowl, guy never even got to the NFC Championship.

He played with a HOF Tight End his entire career. He's constantly had Pro Bowl WRs to work with (granted, he made some of them look really good). For much of his career he had really good O-lines. At the very least he always had competent RBs.

Sure, he never had a dominating defense on the other side, but there were plenty of Pro Bowlers throughout the years and one no doubt about it 1st Ballot HOF DE. Some of those defenses were pretty good at times.

Point is, Romo never rallied the troops and got it done. Opportunities and team talent wasn't the problem, he had at least a few years in his long career when the team around him was good enough. Doesn't mean Tony was a loser, but he just wasn't able to get over the hump.

So, IMO, Tony will not get into the HOF and I don't think he deserves to either... but I still really loved watching him play! We were blessed to have him!
Point is, and I've said it before, you are wrong.
BMX Bandit
aggiepaintrain said:

Eli is a HOFer soley because of his last name, he will get in 1st ballot.
I don't think he has HOF talent but that's the way it works.

Not sure Romo gets in.

If his last name were Dahmer he'd still get in with 2 super bowl MVPs and top 6 TD passes.

Romo was a great player & underrated by many. He's also overrated by lots of cowboy fans. He's not getting in the hall of fame and doesn't really deserve to. Thats not a shot at him. He will deservedly be in the ring of honor
PooDoo
AG
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799656/article/2015-nfl-draft-doover-david-johnson-goes-before-todd-gurley

2015 Redrafted has 3 Cowboys in the 1st round.

Quote:

1) Buccaneers: Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
Original pick: Winston.
Winston has stepped in and become a quality quarterback. No reason to change this pick.
2) Titans: Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
Original pick: Mariota.
Mariota has been much better, much quicker than I anticipated. The Titans would do the same thing all over again.
3) Jaguars: Danielle Hunter, DE, LSU
Original pick: Dante Fowler, OLB, Florida.
Hunter was drafted: Round 3, No. 88 overall by the Vikings.
Jaguars stay with a defensive end. Quite a jump up the board for Hunter, but 18.5 sacks over two years will do that.
4) Raiders: Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
Original pick: Cooper.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
5) Redskins: Landon Collins, S, Alabama
Original pick: Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa.
Collins was drafted: Round 2, No. 33 overall by the Giants.
Big jump up the board from second round to fifth overall pick, but Collins has been the truth and Washington needed a safety.
6) Jets: Leonard Williams, DE, USC
Original pick: Williams.
Is it possible that the Jets luck into Williams again in this redraft? I guess so.
7) Bears: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
Original pick: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia.
Peters was drafted: Round 1, No. 18 overall by the Chiefs.
Peters has become one of the top playmaking cornerbacks in the game and the Bears want a piece of it.
8) Falcons: Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
Original pick: Beasley.
Falcons have no reason to change a thing.
9) Giants: David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
Original pick: Ereck Flowers, OG, Miami.
Johnson was drafted: Round 3, No. 86 overall by the Cardinals.
Johnson has become one of the most complete runners in the game and would have been a great addition to complement Eli Manning.
10) Rams: Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
Original pick: Gurley.
After a disappointing 2016, I'm not ready to give up on Gurley in this spot, as the Rams must find better blocking for him.
11) Vikings: Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State
Original pick: Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State.
Darby was drafted: Round 2, No. 51 overall by the Bills.
We will stick with the cornerback spot, but swap out Waynes for Darby.
12) Browns: David Irving, DT, Iowa State
Original pick: Danny Shelton, DT, Washington.
Irving was drafted: Irving went undrafted.
Irving was dismissed from Iowa State and fell in the draft. In the re-draft, however, he's on the board and going early.
13) Saints: Brandon Scherff, OG, Iowa
Original pick: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford.
Scherff was drafted: Round 1, No. 5 overall by the Redskins.
The Saints needed help at both guard and tackle so I'll let them figure out what to do with Scherff.
14) Dolphins: La'el Collins, OG, LSU
Original pick: DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville.
Collins was drafted: Collins went undrafted.
Collins fell out of the draft due to off-the-field concerns, but we'll slot him to guard-needy Dolphins in this do-over.
15) Chargers: Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
Original pick: Gordon.
The Chargers traded up for Gordon and they will do the same here.
16) Texans: Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA
Original pick: Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest.
Kendricks was drafted: Round 2, No. 45 overall by the Vikings.
Tackling machine with the ability to cover would have gone nicely next to Brian Cushing in 2015 draft.
17) 49ers: Malcom Brown, DT, Texas
Original pick: Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon.
Brown was drafted: Round 1, No. 32 overall by the Patriots.
The 49ers stick with their search to find a playmaking defensive lineman, but Brown is the choice this time.
18) Chiefs: Mitch Morse, C, Missouri
Original pick: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington.
Morse was drafted: Round 2, No. 49 overall by the Chiefs.
The Chiefs ended up taking Morse a round later so let's expedite the process.
19) Browns: Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky
Original pick: Cameron Erving, C, Florida State.
Dupree was drafted: Round 1, No. 22 overall by the Steelers.
Dupree was a freak of an athlete coming out and would be an immediate plug-and-play outside linebacker here.
20) Eagles: Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State
Original pick: Nelson Agholor, WR, USC.
Lockett was drafted: Round 3, No. 69 overall by the Seahawks.
A multi-faceted receiver who can be moved around, like Lockett, would have been a nice fit for Chip Kelly at the time.
21) Bengals: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
Original pick: Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M.
Peat was drafted: Round 1, No. 13 overall by the Saints.
The Bengals could use a tackle with better core strength than Ogbuehi.
22) Steelers: Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
Original pick: Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky.
Johnson was drafted: Round 1, No. 16 overall by the Texans.
The Steelers took two cornerbacks in this draft, so why not give them a talented cover man who is willing to tackle in Johnson?
23) Broncos: Shane Ray, DE, Missouri
Original pick: Ray.
Ray is still on the board for Denver to land.
24) Cardinals: Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland
Original pick: D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida.
Diggs was drafted: Round 5, No. 146 overall by the Vikings.
Playmaking wide receivers like Diggs happen to find themselves targeted by Arizona.
25) Panthers: Donovan Smith, OT, Penn State
Original pick: Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington.
Smith was drafted: Round 2, No. 34 overall by the Buccaneers.
Smith addresses a need at tackle and can help clear out space in the running game.
26) Ravens: Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon
Original pick: Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida.
Armstead was drafted: Round 1, No. 17 overall by the 49ers.
Armstead would have fit a need for the Ravens and added to their history of taking run stoppers.
27) Cowboys: Byron Jones, S, UConn
Original pick: Jones.
Cowboys would be pleased to find Jones here again.
28) Lions: Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State
Original pick: Laken Tomlinson, OG, Duke.
Ajayi was drafted: Round 5, No. 149 overall by the Dolphins.
The Lions took Ameer Abdullah a round later so no reason to believe they wouldn't consider Ajayi in this spot.
29) Colts: D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida
Original pick: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami.
Humphries was drafted: Round 1, No. 24 overall by the Cardinals.
The Colts needed right tackle help and Humphries began his career at right tackle in Arizona. This pick makes sense.
30) Packers: Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington
Original pick: Damarious Randall, S, Arizona State.
Thompson was drafted: Round 1, No. 25 overall by the Panthers.
Green Bay adds speed at linebacker with Thompson.
31) Saints: Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State
Original pick: Stephone Anthony, LB, Clemson.
McKinney was drafted: Round 2, No. 43 overall by the Texans.
The Saints stick with linebacker, but go with a more physical talent inside.
32) Patriots: Frank Clark, DE, Michigan
Original pick: Malcom Brown, DT, Texas.
Clark was drafted: Round 2, No. 63 overall by the Seahawks.
jr15aggie
AG
Wow, they think a lot of David Irving. So do I, but he wasn't even a starter last year and yet they had him going 12th!? Also have to keep in mind that he didn't even make KCs roster initially. Not really sure why he's even on this list.

I think they are projecting a bit here. Not that I can blame them, I'm keeping my fingers crossed he has a monster break out year!
PooDoo
AG
He had one heck of a season. We're just lucky KC runs a 3-4 and has great d-line depth.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Its time for Byron Jones to step up and look like a 1st rounder. He's been decent, but we def need more playmaking out of him.

Irving was a stud against bad or mediocre Tackles. But disappeared vs good ones. Lets hope he gets over that hump this season.
jr15aggie
AG
Regarding the draft and some of the prospects we've talked about...

OJ Howard looks to be a lock to go early. Top 10 a definite possibility. Cowboy fans don't have to worry about Dallas being tempted to go offense instead of defense here.

On the flip side, Derek Barnett appears to be doing the exact opposite. Possibly sliding into the late teens. Problem is, I don't think the Cowboys can move up that far if he did slide. The cost is too high and we need our picks. Stupid Texans/Denver should have swapped us 1st rounders when they had the chance... that might have put us in range and I'd take Barnett all day every day!!!

Unfortunately, the best case scenario might be for most of those QBs to stay undrafted and have Cleveland (assuming they draft Myles #1) trade their 2nd & 3rd for our 1st. This is a very popular move because getting that QB in round 1 is crucial because of the 5th year rookie contract option that isn't there if they waited until their 2nd round pick. Would make next Thursday extremely anti-climatic, but would be a good move for us.

PS: Yeah, I want Cleveland's 3rd for that trade... they got a wealth of picks and I'm gonna make them overpay to come get their QB!
752bro4
AG
Why couldn't CLE use their 2nd (#12) 1st for a QB? If they were worried about not getting a QB at 12, I would think their #12 pick + #33 pick + #65 pick could get them up to 7-10 to get Trubisky (assuming he isn't gone by #6/NYJ.
PooDoo
AG
The look on Dak's face... Offseason workouts begin!
Ag Natural
AG
Is that Jalon behind Dak?
jtstanley4621
AG
Ag Natural said:

Is that Jalon behind Dak?
Looks like it! And Sean Lee next to Jaylon.
bonfarr
AG
If Cowboys go DE I think it will be Charles Harris.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jaylon Smith still has dropfoot but he's going to try to play with the brace. Not sure how that's gonna work when you mix contact and leverage with movement. Non-contact mobility is one thing, while trying to shed a 330LB OL while moving is another. But we'll see.
jr15aggie
AG
752bro4 said:

Why couldn't CLE use their 2nd (#12) 1st for a QB? If they were worried about not getting a QB at 12, I would think their #12 pick + #33 pick + #65 pick could get them up to 7-10 to get Trubisky (assuming he isn't gone by #6/NYJ.
They definitely could... but like you already said, I assume somebody like NYJ will get him if the Browns don't take him at #1.

I know that after Trubisky most scouts feel like there are a few guys that are all grouped together as the next tier of QBs. I'm just thinking if somebody like Watson is still hanging around at the end of the 1st Cleveland will be interested.

Just think about how many tickets they will sell the day after the draft if they get Myles #1, get another STUD at #12, and then get Watson (who very easily could be the best QB in this draft) all on day 1 of the draft... and all they had to give up to make it happen was give up a 3rd rounder to Dallas and swapping their 2nd rounder for Dallas's 1st. Do it!
jr15aggie
AG
PooDoo said:

I feel like a lesser fan not knowing who that is behind Witten.... but darned if that guy doesn't look EXACTLY what I picture if Witten & Romo had a baby together!
investorAg83
AG
jr15aggie said:

PooDoo said:

I feel like a lesser fan not knowing who that is behind Witten.... but darned if that guy doesn't look EXACTLY what I picture if Witten & Romo had a baby together!

I literally thought the exact same.
PooDoo
AG
Guessing from the face #86 Ray Hamilton but everything I'm reading says he was cut and signed by the Steelers then the Redskins.

MooreTrucker
AG
jr15aggie said:

PooDoo said:

You don't really picture that, do you????
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
he actually looks like Witten's twin if anything
jr15aggie
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

he actually looks like Witten's twin if anything
He's got Wittens face and rosy red cheeks & Romo's ears and hat!
PatAg
AG
PooDoo said:

Did we figure out a way to clone Jason Witten? Look behind him
. . .
MooreTrucker
AG
PatAg said:

PooDoo said:

Did we figure out a way to clone Jason Witten? Look behind him
LOL...have you read the thread?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.