Ron DeSantis Suspends Campaign

27,753 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Waffledynamics
FireAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OPAG said:

Quote:

It doesn't work like that. DeSantis would be the candidate most likely to unify all sections of the GOP because he is the most acceptable to all parts of the GOP. Very, very few people in the GOP hate him and would never vote for him unlike Trump or Haley. He also would absolutely crossover with Suburban voters and Catholics which end up deciding General Elections because he is one.

He couldn't win because the Establishment and Con Media opposed him as they liked their candidates better and ignored the one guy that was likely to bring everyone together.
THIS!

"Likely" is a hard sell when the guy you're defending dropped all of his time and resources into one state, and he couldn't win a single county…

99 counties visited, and over 3M doors knocked on…

He lost all 99 counties…
MelvinUdall
shiftyandquick said:

I get that Trump is a generational phenomenon and DeSantis was going to lose to the guy who has bombed the last 3 elections. Losing over and over is the way, until the GOP is dead. You can't make it up! It's you like guys want the GOP to die.

I am more concerned about someone that votes for a President that is ruining this country with his policies, but yet here you are concerned about a political party.
FireAg
AG
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

SA68AG said:

Ag with kids said:

SA68AG said:

It's a sad time when the country rejects someone who could actually effectively govern and turn this country around.

I'll vote for Trump in the general as I did in 2016 and 2020 but this time I won't be contributing any money to his campaign - I'm not paying for his legal fees.

I have no doubt Trump will lose the general by continuing to say and do stupid things that will drive independents and suburban women back to Biden even though they know Biden is incompetent and his policies will hurt them economically.
This is the HUGE problem looming not just for Trump, but for the GOP. MAGA may donate, but Not Trump won't. Which means a small pool of money for the general...for the down ballot candidates included.
Your absolutely on point.

Unfortunately it's a problem Trump himself has created by putting his personal interests above the country's interest.

Trump is all about himself and to hell with the party, the downstream candidates and the country.

Is he? SCOTUS picks on line 2 for you…

If he is all about himself and not the country, why didn't he just pick his own SCOTUS nominees and throw his "what's best for conservative America" list out the window?
Trump picked the candidates he was told to pick and it was absolutely in his interest to do so. McConnell had already done the hard work of clearing the road with the filibuster gone. It's not like Trump has deep seated Constitutional thoughts on legal issues.

I'll give him credit for doing that but it would have been foolish for him not to.

Agree would have been foolish, but for some folks, they'd argue "that's never stopped him from being foolish before!"

He made great picks from a great list that benefited states' rights in America…so he did something that benefitted America, and God bless him for it…
Correct, but you had responded that to a question about him doing something for himself and not the country. Appointing those Justices was definitely beneficial to himself. Might even keep him out of jail in the end.

Name one time where nominating a SCOTUS justice was NOT beneficial to the man doing it?
Infection_Ag11
AG
But again, was ANY politician going to meaningfully breka Trump's hold on this cycle?

The % of Trump voters who would consider changing their vote EVEN IF HE'S IN JAIL come Election Day is <20% according to some polls. No politician in this country has ever had that kind of hold on their voting base.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
BigRobSA said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

BigRobSA said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

BigRobSA said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

J. Walter Weatherman said:

911sAg said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

Quote:

Regardless, Biden and the Dems could not be happier because DeSantis was the biggest threat to Biden getting a second term.
how can you say that if he can't even win a primary?

Do you not understand the difference between republican primary voters in Iowa versus the general do election where everyone votes?
Do you understand that if Desantis couldn't persuade gop voters he wasn't getting the crossover vote?

No, I don't because that's completely illogical. Persuading a MAGA wing is nowhere near the same as peeling off true swing voters.
Ok so Ron doesn't appeal to GOP voters but he will swing voters? ok dude

I know Trumpers are new to this whole politics thing, but you do understand those are two different populations right?
lol I saw my candidate win a presidential election in 2016 and you? I also know the coveted swing vote is not really that big and is generally overstated, most people know who they are voting when they walk in the booth.

Cool. What happened with those swing voters in 2020 after they got 4 years of Trump's clown show?
You mean the most conservative president in your lifetime?

Maybe if you're 8.
You're incapable of answering questions using your open thoughts. Not a sign of intelligence.

I reply with the appropriate level of intellectual horsepower. But there's no spit bubble blowing emoji, so I used basic math to figure out the age of someone that your statement might be correct for.
Ahh. So you are just way more intelligent. You need help.

It cracks me up that you can vote against insufficient conservatism, but you absolutely cannot vote against excessive liberalism. Truly enlightened.

By not voting for either lib, I am showing I am smarter and enlightened. Thanks for agreeing.
Start with being smart enough to understand the point.
Joes
Infection_Ag11 said:

shiftyandquick said:

I'm sitting here laughing at the people talking about how much GOP voters love DeSantis when he is polling 5% in a 3-person field in South Carolina. He really captured the hearts and minds of conservatives! Don't worry, he's going to make Florida great again. Disney Corp beware!

His poll numbers are largely just a reflection of the number of voters that have been hypnotized by Trump and/or the number of voters wanting to "stick it to" the left and the media. They're not really much of an indictment of Desantis at all. Reagan in his political prime wouldn't be able to break the hold Trump has on this cycle.

The problem is that Trump winning the general is extremely unlikely barring near record low voter turnout.

Exactly. I think for every extra vote Trump generates for himself he'll generate at least two against him. Only hope is for there not to be much interest, and there's not much chance of that.
FireAg
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

But again, was ANY politician going to meaningfully breka Trump's hold on this cycle?

The % of Trump voters who would consider changing their vote EVEN IF HE'S IN JAIL come Election Day is <20% according to some polls. No politician in this country has ever had that kind of hold on their voting base.

Agree…precisely why I think DeSantis's 2024 run was too early with Trump still viable…
richardag
911sAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

911sAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

DarkBrandon01 said:

wonder how desatnis supporters think about that their boy endorsed Trump, is he a dumb MAGA now too?
Point well made. DeSantis gets,it. While he disagrees with President Trump on specific policies, he understands this country is currently in the hands of corrupted Democrats, both politicians and their minions in the bureaucracies and courts.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Joes
one safe place said:

Not dissing DeSantis because they all do it, but wonder why they say "suspends" their campaign? They are not suspending anything. They should say they are quitting, or dropping out of the race, or throwing in the towel. But politicians are like that, I guess. At least none have said "respect my decision."

I agree, it's silly, it just sounds better in the moment to them, I guess.
Infection_Ag11
AG
911sAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

911sAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

DarkBrandon01 said:

I expect most of the DeSantis votes to go to Haley now. This will make the race much closer.

Doubtful.

He endorsed Trump in the video and slammed Haley as a retread of bygone GOP corporatism.

Sounds more like he will play a role in the potential Trump admin in the future.
Desantis endorsed trump wow? This wont still well with this board.

Go to 2:35 in the video
wonder how desatnis supporters think about that their boy endorsed Trump, is he a dumb MAGA now too?

I mean it's obvious he's gonna be the nominee at this point, so it's either endorse Trump or don't endorse anyone at all. The latter of which would really harm his future political prospects. And besides, if it's Trump v Biden it's obvious who Desantis is voting for. It would be silly to spitefully just not say it out loud and hurt his career.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Infection_Ag11
AG
one safe place said:

Not dissing DeSantis because they all do it, but wonder why they say "suspends" their campaign? They are not suspending anything. They should say they are quitting, or dropping out of the race, or throwing in the towel. But politicians are like that, I guess. At least none have said "respect my decision."

Leaving the door open in case Trump has a major medical event or the criminal proceedings really start hurting him in the polls (unlikely) and the party apparatus steps in at the convention to make sure Trump isn't the nominee.
OPAG
AG
Quote:

"Likely" is a hard sell when the guy you're defending dropped all of his time and resources into one state, and he couldn't win a single county…

He lost all 99 counties…
Because it is MAGA country. So what do you think would of happened if Trump instead of launching these juvenile attacks on Desantis, actually endorsed and supported him?

Desantis would of walked away with Iowa and the Repub nomination. And then the election.
FireAg
AG
OPAG said:

Quote:

He lost all 99 counties…
Because it is MAGA country. So what do you think would of happened if Trump instead of launching these juvenile attacks on Desantis, actually endorsed and supported him?

Desantis would of walked away with Iowa and the Repub nomination. And then the election.

I see…so if it was assumed MAGA country to begin with, why did he drop everything he had into that state? Wouldn't it have been a better strategy to have focused elsewhere?
Ag with kids
AG
TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

FireAg said:

Ag with kids said:

911sAg said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

Quote:

Regardless, Biden and the Dems could not be happier because DeSantis was the biggest threat to Biden getting a second term.

Do you not understand the difference between republican primary voters in Iowa versus the general do election where everyone votes?
Do you understand that if Desantis couldn't persuade gop voters he wasn't getting the crossover vote?

No, I don't because that's completely illogical. Persuading a MAGA wing is nowhere near the same as peeling off true swing voters.

I know Trumpers are new to this whole politics thing, but you do understand those are two different populations right?
lol I saw my candidate win a presidential election in 2016 and you? I also know the coveted swing vote is not really that big and is generally overstated, most people know who they are voting when they walk in the booth.
And all of us saw your candidate lose to a potato in 2020.

Congrats???

You say he lost, many upon many folks still believe it was stolen…
Ok?

They're wrong.

But, I get that they cannot believe that the man they have such an emotional attachment to could possible lose. Hell, they've already started the excuses just in case he loses yet again.

They love him so they don't understand that lots of people HATE him.

I'm not in the hate group, though. I'm in the sick and tired of the middle school antics group from man who is almost as old as my father.

You're in the full of **** group, got it.
Yes. He's full of **** and I'm tired of it.

Even though I voted for him twice.

You don't hate him but dedicate your posting to detest him in any way possible. That totally checks out.
I "detest" him?

No. I'm ****ing tired of a geriatric acting like a 12 year old who is now only concerned with getting elected to build back his butthurt ego from 2020.

And I'm pretty sure that now the chances of getting rid of Biden have shrunk. Because I REALLY want to get rid of Biden.

Isn't that whole post pretty silly and more indicative of you? He hurts your feelings because of his delivery so you'll call him a ****ing geriatric and whine about a butthurt ego?
He hasn't hurt my feelings.

Sorry that my view of him has hurt yours, though.

I want to get rid of Biden.

You want to vote for Trump.

We are not the same.
jwhaby
aggie93 said:

DarkBrandon01 said:

I expect most of the DeSantis votes to go to Haley now. This will make the race much closer.
You don't know many DeSantis supporters then. They will likely split 80/20 Trump.

If TexAgs is any indication, I would say that 50% of Desantis supporters will vote for Biden or throw their vote away on a third-party candidate, 20% will abstain to teach the GOP a lesson, and the remaining 30% will hold their nose and vote for Trump. The only adults with any semblance of emotional maturity are the latter group.
Ag with kids
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

shiftyandquick said:

I'm sitting here laughing at the people talking about how much GOP voters love DeSantis when he is polling 5% in a 3-person field in South Carolina. He really captured the hearts and minds of conservatives! Don't worry, he's going to make Florida great again. Disney Corp beware!

His poll numbers are largely just a reflection of the number of voters that have been hypnotized by Trump and/or the number of voters wanting to "stick it to" the left and the media. They're not really much of an indictment of Desantis at all. Reagan in his political prime wouldn't be able to break the hold Trump has on this cycle.

The problem is that Trump winning the general is extremely unlikely barring near record low voter turnout.
Trump is Jim Jones and this primary is his koolaid.
TAMUallen
AG
Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

FireAg said:

Ag with kids said:

911sAg said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

Quote:

Congrats???

Ok?

They're wrong.

But, I get that they cannot believe that the man they have such an emotional attachment to could possible lose. Hell, they've already started the excuses just in case he loses yet again.

I'm not in the hate group, though. I'm in the sick and tired of the middle school antics group from man who is almost as old as my father.

You don't hate him but dedicate your posting to detest him in any way possible. That totally checks out.
I "detest" him?

No. I'm ****ing tired of a geriatric acting like a 12 year old who is now only concerned with getting elected to build back his butthurt ego from 2020.

And I'm pretty sure that now the chances of getting rid of Biden have shrunk. Because I REALLY want to get rid of Biden.

Isn't that whole post pretty silly and more indicative of you? He hurts your feelings because of his delivery so you'll call him a ****ing geriatric and whine about a butthurt ego?

We are not the same.

You're right, I'd never want to be so miserable, and I don't care about you but it's amusing to see you so upset but without anything more than you don't like how he says things. I don't believe you voted for him twice and I doubt you'll ever vote for him. You sound like a concerned moderate that is trying to parade around as a "real conservative"
Rockdoc
AG
Did something happen today other than DeSsntis suspending? There are people losing their minds on here.
bobbranco
AG
I think some grown ass men have some bizarre and scary dreams about Trump.
Ag with kids
AG
one safe place said:

I think it's a technical legal thing that allows them to keep their existing campaign funds banked for later reasons.
Ag with kids
AG
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

SA68AG said:

Ag with kids said:

SA68AG said:

It's a sad time when the country rejects someone who could actually effectively govern and turn this country around.

I'll vote for Trump in the general as I did in 2016 and 2020 but this time I won't be contributing any money to his campaign - I'm not paying for his legal fees.

I have no doubt Trump will lose the general by continuing to say and do stupid things that will drive independents and suburban women back to Biden even though they know Biden is incompetent and his policies will hurt them economically.
This is the HUGE problem looming not just for Trump, but for the GOP. MAGA may donate, but Not Trump won't. Which means a small pool of money for the general...for the down ballot candidates included.
Your absolutely on point.

Unfortunately it's a problem Trump himself has created by putting his personal interests above the country's interest.

Trump is all about himself and to hell with the party, the downstream candidates and the country.

Is he? SCOTUS picks on line 2 for you…

If he is all about himself and not the country, why didn't he just pick his own SCOTUS nominees and throw his "what's best for conservative America" list out the window?
Trump picked the candidates he was told to pick and it was absolutely in his interest to do so. McConnell had already done the hard work of clearing the road with the filibuster gone. It's not like Trump has deep seated Constitutional thoughts on legal issues.

I'll give him credit for doing that but it would have been foolish for him not to.

Agree would have been foolish, but for some folks, they'd argue "that's never stopped him from being foolish before!"

He made great picks from a great list that benefited states' rights in America…so he did something that benefitted America, and God bless him for it…
Correct, but you had responded that to a question about him doing something for himself and not the country. Appointing those Justices was definitely beneficial to himself. Might even keep him out of jail in the end.

Name one time where nominating a SCOTUS justice was NOT beneficial to the man doing it?
George H.W. Bush - David Souter
TRM
AG
FireAg said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Agree…precisely why I think DeSantis's 2024 run was too early with Trump still viable…
But Trump won't be viable when he's convicted.
FireAg
AG
TRM said:

FireAg said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

But Trump won't be viable when he's convicted.

Think so? Says who?
Claverack
Ain't no way a DeSantis supporter will ever put in a vote for Biden unless they are six feet under and living in the Plantation Party's zone of influence.

After Haley's behavior, I doubt the majority move towards her either.

TRM
AG
Your favored polls
Aggies2009
AG
Absolutely hilarious.
Ag with kids
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

911sAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

911sAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

DarkBrandon01 said:

Doubtful.

He endorsed Trump in the video and slammed Haley as a retread of bygone GOP corporatism.

Sounds more like he will play a role in the potential Trump admin in the future.
Desantis endorsed trump wow? This wont still well with this board.

Go to 2:35 in the video

I mean it's obvious he's gonna be the nominee at this point, so it's either endorse Trump or don't endorse anyone at all. The latter of which would really harm his future political prospects. And besides, if it's Trump v Biden it's obvious who Desantis is voting for. It would be silly to spitefully just not say it out loud and hurt his career.
Well, he DID say at the beginning that he would endorse the nominee. So, he's keeping his word.

I still would rather him have just not endorsed anyone, but...I can understand that.
FireAg
AG
TRM said:

Your favored polls

"My polls" are the RCP and 538 averages of polls…neither of which are averaging polls on this topic…

I'm sorry the polling averages were accurate for DeDantis's chances…
TXaggiesTX
AG
jwhaby said:

aggie93 said:

DarkBrandon01 said:

You don't know many DeSantis supporters then. They will likely split 80/20 Trump.

If TexAgs is any indication, I would say that 50% of Desantis supporters will vote for Biden or throw their vote away on a third-party candidate, 20% will abstain to teach the GOP a lesson, and the remaining 30% will hold their nose and vote for Trump. The only adults with any semblance of emotional maturity are the latter group.

Texags is absolutely not an indication of the general population. If you are posting on a politics board you keep up with politics more than 99% of the population. Over 90% of DeSantis supporters will vote for Trump.
TAMUallen
AG
Rockdoc said:

Did something happen today other than DeSsntis suspending? There are people losing their minds on here.

My guess is it is a bunch of liberals and "moderates" who have been playing as DeSantis fans. Trump is their kryptonite and they fall apart thinking it will be him again.
bgrimm05
AG
When does Trump announce RD as VP?
Ag with kids
AG
TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

FireAg said:

Ag with kids said:

911sAg said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

Quote:

Congrats???

Ok?

They're wrong.

I "detest" him?

We are not the same.

You're right, I'd never want to be so miserable, and I don't care about you but it's amusing to see you so upset but without anything more than you don't like how he says things. I don't believe you voted for him twice and I doubt you'll ever vote for him. You sound like a concerned moderate that is trying to parade around as a "real conservative"
Upset? That's amusing in itself. I'm not upset.

I would have liked a candidate that was Not Trump to run, but I'm used to the GOP running ****ty candidates by now so I guess you could say I'm resigned to it.

BTW, in 2016 I VERY reluctantly voted for Trump - I spent probably 10 min in the booth just staring at the top line (I voted downballot first) before pulling the lever for him.

However, in 2020, I enthusiastically voted for him. I liked most of the stuff he had done (covid response notwithstanding). I agree all this legal stuff is bull***** But, that doesn't mean I think he should be POTUS in 2024. He's not the same candidate in 2024 as he was in 2020.

But, I'll give you credit for going back to the insults...I needed the additional chuckle.
Rockdoc
AG
TAMUallen said:

Rockdoc said:

My guess is it is a bunch of liberals and "moderates" who have been playing as DeSantis fans. Trump is their kryptonite and they fall apart thinking it will be him again.

I figured when DeSantis checked out some of these fake conservatives would have to reset and lose their minds.
Ag with kids
AG
bobbranco said:

I think some grown ass men have some bizarre and scary dreams about Trump.
You're talking about his supporters, right?
TAMUallen
AG
Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

TAMUallen said:

Ag with kids said:

FireAg said:

Ag with kids said:

911sAg said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

BenFiasco14 said:

911sAg said:

Quote:

Congrats???

Ok?

They're wrong.

I "detest" him?

We are not the same.

Upset? That's amusing in itself. I'm not upset.

I would have liked a candidate that was Not Trump to run, but I'm used to the GOP running ****ty candidates by now so I guess you could say I'm resigned to it.

BTW, in 2016 I VERY reluctantly voted for Trump - I spent probably 10 min in the booth just staring at the top line (I voted downballot first) before pulling the lever for him.

However, in 2020, I enthusiastically voted for him. I liked most of the stuff he had done (covid response notwithstanding). I agree all this legal stuff is bull***** But, that doesn't mean I think he should be POTUS in 2024. He's not the same candidate in 2024 as he was in 2020.

But, I'll give you credit for going back to the insults...I needed the additional chuckle.

Thanks for reinforcing what I said.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.