George Floyd case-latest developments

120,219 Views | 1866 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bondag
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
State passes for cause. He's on the jury.

Cahill says that's the 15th. Reason he wanted an extra was to make sure at least 14 showed up on Monday. He also indicated this last juror was bill dismissed if the 14 preceding him all show.

So yet another iteration of how he will address the alternate juror situation.

And we're done. Court is in recess until 9:00am Monday morning.
Bondag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Cahill says that's the 15th. Reason he wanted an extra was to make sure at least 14 showed up on Monday. He also indicated this last juror was bill dismissed if the 14 preceding him all show.

Seems stupid to make that public. How many jurors will show up now?
aggiehawg
AG
Bondag said:

aggiehawg said:

Seems stupid to make that public. How many jurors will show up now?
Well, they are not supposed to watching the jury selection, soooo.

But agree with you. Also, Cahill did not release the remaining jury pool in case something else happens, like the City leaders doing something stupid again and the existing jurors can't get past it to remain fair and impartial.

Personally, I think the chances the trial proper starts on time next Monday are still 50/50.
aggiehawg
AG
Oh good grief!

Quote:

Duke University has launched an investigation after a student found a copy of George Floyd's toxicology report posted on a bulletin board commemorating Black History Month.

"A printout of George Floyd's toxicology report was hung beside a photo of his face on a Black History Month-themed bulletin board on the third floor of Brown dorm" on March 20, the student newspaper The Chronicle said.

"We are completely aligned with the idea that a person who causes harm to others in this community and elsewhere should be held accountable," Dean of Students John Blackshear said at a meeting with residents of the Brown Residence Hall. The dean said information had been turned over to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.
Can't interfere with the chosen narrative with facts now, can we?

Link
aggiehawg
AG
Branca's recap of the action today is HERE
aginlakeway
AG
aggiehawg said:

New official thread then?
aggiehawg
AG
aginlakeway said:

aggiehawg said:

New official thread then?

Let's keep this one going until next Monday. Once the jury is sworn in, we are officially in the trial proper. I'm 50/50 on whether we are truly finished with jury selection. Both the city and the state have idiots in office that could still say or do something to derail this trial before it gets started.
richardag
Based on what I have seen so far from jury selection, the best outcome I see is a hung jury.

Once the names of the jurors becomes public they and their families will be harassed, livelihoods and lives threatened. All around a very dangerous situation.
The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, npublic debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt.
People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.
-- Cicero, 55 B.C.
12th Man
AG
Hawg, you're a jewel. Thank you for your updates, your opinions, for translating sometimes opaque legalese into English, and for de-mystifying erstwhile courtroom machinations for us.
aggiehawg
AG
CourtTV has an analysis of the prospective jurors struck by both the defense and the state HERE

As I speculated, the prosecution only struck white prospects. If Chauvin is convicted of something, that could come back to haunt them but Nelson never made a Batson challenge that I heard. He might have made it in a sidebar, however.

Quote:

Court TV has compiled a retrospective on the jurors each side has removed through peremptory strikes. The talking heads of CourtTV are in search of a racial angle. The jurors struck by Schleicher on behalf of the State are all white. The jurors struck by Nelson make up a rainbow coalition adverse to Chauvin in one way or another, but I don't think that's quite how Court TV put it.
Scott Johnson's take on other happenings in court yesterday is HERE
aggiehawg
AG
Branca has summarized the jurors in a handy chart.

He also posted the video of the voir dire for each of them. HERE
Keegan99
AG
Not a single white male over 40.

Chauvin is playing from behind.
Rapier108
Keegan99 said:

Not a single white male over 40.

Chauvin is playing from behind.
Yep, he is completely ****ed. There is no chance of an acquittal or even a hung jury. Any holdouts will be beaten into submission by the activists on the jury.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Post removed:
by user
aggiehawg
AG
third coast.. said:

How was #9 allowed to be on this jury
That's the eager beaver or as we have called her here, Ms. Awesome because she says that a lot. And I agree that Nelson should have struck her.
FIDO*98*
AG
George Floyd could have jumped in front of a Bus and this jury would find Chauvin guilty. State should just rest their case after opening statements. Facts aren't going to matter one bit to this bunch
aggiehawg
AG
Branca's take on Juror #9:

Quote:

Frankly, my sense was that the defense did not do a great job on voir dire.

In the context of the two jurors that the defense used peremptory strikes to exclude, I thought there were reasonable arguments to be made to exclude those jurors for cause, which would have saved those two precious peremptory strikes for later in the jury selection process.

Further, I found one of the accepted jurors, Juror #9, to be completely insincere in her claims that she could be unbiased and impartial in this case. She frankly struck me as someone who was activist in intent, especially given her explicit excitementalmost exuberancein being chosen for this jury, and precisely the kind of person the defense should most fear being empaneled on the jury.

There were prospective jurors of a similar vibe who attempted to get on the Zimmerman jury, but were exposed by the defense before they could be empaneled. Had those people been on the Zimmerman jury, an acquittal would have been out of the question, as they were committed to Zimmerman's conviction regardless of law or evidence.

I had a very similar sense from Juror #9but each of you can listen to her voir dire yourselves, in the videos above, and make your own call.
State has already made a Batson challenge before this juror was up. That might be the reason Nelson hesitated. In any even her voir dire in at the LINK
schwack schwack
AG
Changing subject. I caught the end of a segment on Court TV yesterday. I think they were talking about the Prosecution bringing in some complaints about Chauvin's past, similar "knee on neck" situations.

If true, could it actually work in Chauvin's favor? In that he was following MPD procedure & people that weren't all drugged up didn't die?

aggiehawg
AG
schwack schwack said:

Changing subject. I caught the end of a segment on Court TV yesterday. I think they were talking about the Prosecution bringing in some complaints about Chauvin's past, similar "knee on neck" situations.

If true, could it actually work in Chauvin's favor? In that he was following MPD procedure & people that weren't all drugged up didn't die?

I caught a fleeting reference during the in limine arguments wherein there was a 2015 incident wherein Chauvin received a commendation for placing a suspect in the recovery position. The implication being that he knew of that procedure and training. Never heard whether that suspect was under a knee restraint at the time, however. Nor did I hear anything about the size of the suspect in that encounter. Wouldn't be surprised if that suspect was nowhere near the size and strength of Floyd, though.
schwack schwack
AG
Got it.
Repeat the Line
Is Chauvin's only prayer a mistral?
Trucker 96
SEATAC Aggie said:

Looking at that list, I don't think he has any prayer at all.
aggiehawg
AG
Okay, we are 24 hours from the official start of the trial. To my surprise, the city and state leaders have managed not to step in it with public statements. The local paper however has written not one but two front page articles on the trial today.

Quote:

Yes, it takes two reporters to write a story this bad. The facts of the case are subsumed to the passion play the Star Tribune promotes.

The central issue in the case is undoubtedly the cause of George Floyd's death. Floyd was very high on fentanyl and meth when he was placed under arrest. Floyd's state of inebriation contributed to his death. In the case against Chauvin the prosecution seeks to prove that Chauvin's restraint of Floyd was also a substantial contributing factor in his death.

Forgrave and Rao dispense with the facts in favor of symbolism: "The trial itself is about what happened that May evening, but it will also be a vessel into which a splintered society places its rage, anxieties and hopes. Like the trial after Rodney King's beating, like the trial after Emmett Till's murder, like the Scottsboro Boys' trial, this case will be viewed as another chapter perhaps a turning point in America's racial history."

The facts of the case have gone missing. They are absent from the Star Tribune story along with the question whether Chauvin can get justice in Hennepin Country from an impartial jury in the face of publicity like this and in the face of the threats to the safety of the community that lie in the very near background. Reporter Reid Forgrave makes me ask (sorry), after such knowledge what Forgraveness?
Quote:

My interest in the case is in the question of justice. The Star Tribune's interest is elsewhere. Among the stories they have overlooked is the State's use of a jury consultant who has appeared in court every day "assisting the prosecution." Her name is Christina Marianakis. The average juror in this case arrived with a negative impression of Chauvin. I don't think Marianakis really had much to do. The challenge is all on the other side, not that you would know that if you get your news from the Star Tribune or its like elsewhere.
There is also a brief summary of each juror at the LINK

There is a side issue that most likely won't derail the trial but I'll just note it since it is also discussed in the link above.

Quote:

There is a late breaking press freedom issue in the case. The Daily Mail published the body cam footage that was on file with the court in the case after it was copied by someone in violation of the terms set by the court for access to it. The court has subsequently denied the Daily Mail media credentials to cover the case. The court order barring the Daily Mail was just reduced to writing last week and is posted online here along with the Daily Mail's email correspondence with the court.

On Friday the Daily Mail filed a writ of prohibition with the Minnesota Court of Appeals seeking to have the court order set aside. The Daily Mail's petition is posted online here. Based on the Daily Mail's petition, I think the court order is likely to be set aside in due course.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Sacrificial lamb

Now that lefty is in charge again, riots don't serve a purpose for them [particularly as they are just now milking all this "COVID" "Stimulus" to pay for the damages from a year ago] and so he must be found guilty "for the greater good"

Whereas if Trump has not been cheated and was still president, they'd be more than happy to drop the charges and allow nationwide riots to proceed
eric76
AG
SEATAC Aggie said:

A change of venue, perhaps.
Trucker 96
That ship has sailed. He'll first need a mistrial at this point.
UTExan
eric76 said:

SEATAC Aggie said:

A change of venue, perhaps.

The trial judge seems have ruled that out so far.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
eric76
AG
I finally looked for and found the body cam video of the George Floyd event. Since I watch very little tv, I had never seen it before now.

From the video, it is clear that he was already having serious issues long before the knee on the neck hold. It is unlikely that the knee on the neck hold did much of anything to affect those issues one way or another. For those who think that the knee to the neck choked him, he was complaining about being short of breath long before that.

The one question I had after watching it was when they called for paramedics. After some searching, it appears that they called the paramedics when they took him out of his car and he was having so many issues then. It's hard to fault any of the officers there for anything that they did or didn't do.

Let's hope that the jury is allowed by the court to see all the evidence and that the members of the jury have enough integrity to consider the evidence in an honest manner.
eric76
AG
Fore Left! said:

If it becomes clear to the judge during the trial that a change of venue is necessary, it is too late to do so?

I guess it could be that if things go crazy, he could declare a mistrial and then issue an order to change the venue.
aggiehawg
AG
eric76 said:

Fore Left! said:

If it becomes clear to the judge during the trial that a change of venue is necessary, it is too late to do so?

I guess it could be that if things go crazy, he could declare a mistrial and then issue an order to change the venue.
Once the jury is sworn in tomorrow morning, jeopardy attaches. To retry him would require a mistrial.
eric76
AG
aggiehawg said:

eric76 said:

Fore Left! said:

Once the jury is sworn in tomorrow morning, jeopardy attaches. To retry him would require a mistrial.
Ok. That make sense.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
eric76 said:

Let's hope that the jury is allowed by the court to see all the evidence and that the members of the jury have enough integrity to consider the evidence in an honest manner.
Sadly, that is a pretty big request based on the pressure of the situation and the fact they will potentially fear for their lives later if they do evaluate in an honest manner.
Always_Right
AG
aggiehawg said:

Branca has summarized the jurors in a handy chart.

He also posted the video of the voir dire for each of them. HERE
The chemist, business auditor and accountant are his only hope. Based on their positions they should look at this case very analytically and remove emotion in their judgment.
fredfredunderscorefred
" 78
Simmons v. United States, 142 U.S. 148 (1891) (juror's impartiality became questionable during trial); Thompson v. United States, 155 U.S. 271 (1884) (discovery during trial that one of the jurors had served on the grand jury that had indicted defendant and was therefore disqualified); Wade v. Hunter, 336 U.S. 684 (1949) (court-martial discharged because enemy advancing on site). "

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-5/reprosecution-following-mistrial#fn78amd5
Trucker 96
They are probably his best shot at a hung jury, but they are also pretty young.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.