George Floyd case-latest developments

119,397 Views | 1866 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bondag
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A week away from the start of the trial. The city of Minneapolis has turned the county courthouse into a better fortified location than no man's land near the Berlin Wall.

Quote:

According to KARE11 News, "The area around the Hennepin County Courthouse is starting to look like a war zone now that the [courthouse] plaza is surrounded by metal fencing and concrete barriers."
Quote:

KARE11 also reports that, a few blocks away from the courthouse, the Hennepin County jail has been heavily fortified and more security measures will be put in place. These include fortification of police precincts and patrols throughout the city by the Minnesota National Guard, which, according to Minneapolis Deputy Police Chief Erick Fors, will provide "a presence and a deterrence in key business corridors."

The Minneapolis Department of Economic Policy and Development has issued "new guidance" for business owners who "may be concerned" about security during the trial. The Department's Director Erik Hansen stated that they are not recommending that business owners board up windows and doors, but that is an option they can consider: The Department has encouraged businesses to "check in with their insurance companies" and "really go into their policies and what is covered."
Now to something of which I was unaware. Prosecutors very quietly finally handed over a 302 on the Hennepin County Medical Examiner. The contents are quite damning for the prosecution and explain why they took so long to finally provide to the defense.

Quote:

More importantly, despite its legal obligation to timely provide the defense with exculpatory evidence, the prosecution delayed production of a devastating FBI 302 report (linked to here) of a July 8, 2020, interview of Hennepin County Medical Examiner Andrew Baker regarding Floyd's autopsy. The prosecution didn't cough up this 302 until October 28, 2020, at which time the defense learned that, in the 302,

Dr. Baker "defined the mechanism of death as Floyd's heart and lungs stopping due to the combined effects of his health problems as well as the exertion and restraint involved in Floyd's interaction with police prior to being on the ground" (emphasis added).

Prior to Floyd being restrained on the ground. Let that sink in. But there's more.

Quote:

Here are some other quotations from the Baker 302:
  • Baker could not provide an answer if "but for" the actions of the officers would Floyd have lived. Baker could not predict what would have occurred. Baker did not know if Floyd would have lived but for the officer's [sic] actions.
  • Baker did believe that because of Floyd's heart disease and intoxicants, the stress from the events that occurred with Minneapolis police officers was more than Floyd could tolerate.
  • Floyd's heart was larger than it should be. There was no evidence that Floyd's airway was literally blocked shut. When viewing the body camera footage, the pressure did not appear to be directly over Floyd's airway. Floyd would have been unable to speak if pressure was directly over his airway.
  • Officer Chauvin's positioning on Floyd's body does not fit anatomically with occluding Floyd's airway.
  • The absence of petechiae weighs against strangulation. Petechiae occurs [sic] due to vascular occlusion that causes blood vessels to rupture.
  • The struggle between officers and Floyd weighed into Baker's opinion because physical exertion increases heart rate, releases adrenaline, and increases respiratory rate as well as cardiac demand. All off these things increased the likelihood of a bad outcome.
  • Fentanyl may cause pulmonary edema in some individuals. Evidence of pulmonary edema was found during Floyd's autopsy. This evidence was that Floyd's lungs were heavy compared to normal lungs. Additionally, Floyd's lungs were were diffusely edematous. Baker defined edematous as "full of fluid."
There's more, but you get the idea. No wonder the prosecution was reluctant to produce Dr. Baker's 302. One is left to wonder at the size of the laundry bill for the prosecutors' underpants after it landed in their inbox.
LINK

Quote:

Mob law does not become due process of law by securing the assent of a terrorized jury.
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, dissent in the appeal of Leo Frank, April 19, 1915

The Dirty Sock
TO THE WENDY'S!!!!
Good Poster
AG
Reminder: Zero evidence has been put forth that the death of George Floyd was racially motivated.
Wabs
AG
Reminder: if he is acquitted, the blame is squarely on Biden's shoulders.
zoneag
None of the facts and evidence are going to matter. Democrats are going to riot nationwide again.
BigRobSA
I hope nobody is in the street when I'm trying to go to work in my 4x4 rental truck.

"Sorry, officer. This is a Toyota, I normally drive Fords and Dodges, I thought the brake pedal was the other one. Oops! My bad, dawg!"
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Maroon Dawn
AG
It's pretty clear the state of Minnesota knows it has no case at all against Chauvin and is bracing for the inevitable part 2 of the riots. At this point their hope is to somehow convince a judge and jury that sacrificing an innocent man is better than facing the terrorism the Dems have planned

IE the same logic our courts used to avoid looking at all the evidence of election fraud

aggiehawg
AG
BigRobSA said:

I hope nobody is in the street when I'm trying to go to work in my 4x4 rental truck.

"Sorry, officer. This is a Toyota, I normally drive Fords and Dodges, I thought the brake pedal was the other one. Oops! My bad, dawg!"
Are you still going to be up there next week?
fixer
Also paying social media influencers to provide city approved messages

https://www.dailywire.com/news/minneapolis-to-hire-social-media-influencers-to-spread-city-approved-messages-during-derek-chauvin-trial

Yeah tell me how we aren't in Mao's China.
BMX Bandit
was just about to post that.

very bizarre.
BigRobSA
aggiehawg said:

BigRobSA said:

It's looking that way. I'm in a more affluent area to the SE. Rich honkies don't need to work a labor job, so.....yeah, us browns have to pick up the slack. Racists.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
aggiehawg
AG
If you have a chance to watch the local news during the trial, I would greatly appreciate your posting about the local spin on it. The trial is supposed to streamed (or maybe televised) so I'll be following pretty closely.
kb2001
AG
Part 2 of the riots is coming no matter what. It won't surprise me if riots occur throughout the trial just a reminder. The verdict is irrelevant, the opportunity to fund raise is too high. The agitators will get riots stirred up and a friendly media will justify it, all while shoving BLM is people's faces, with a link to ActBlue on the donation page, just like last summer
2PacShakur
AG
BigRobSA said:

aggiehawg said:

BigRobSA said:

It's looking that way. I'm in a more affluent area to the SE. Rich honkies don't need to work a labor job, so.....yeah, us browns have to pick up the slack. Racists.
Edina cake eaters
BigRobSA
aggiehawg said:

If you have a chance to watch the local news during the trial, I would greatly appreciate your posting about the local spin on it. The trial is supposed to streamed (or maybe televised) so I'll be following pretty closely.
You got it!

Thankfully for everyone here, the Nike store doesn't carry my size.
BQ_90
AG
kb2001 said:

Part 2 of the riots is coming no matter what. It won't surprise me if riots occur throughout the trial just a reminder. The verdict is irrelevant, the opportunity to fund raise is too high. The agitators will get riots stirred up and a friendly media will justify it, all while shoving BLM is people's faces, with a link to ActBlue on the donation page, just like last summer
no doubt the jury will feel the pressure to convict to prevent riots. Why do you think the city is paying of social media influencers.
Ag87H2O
AG
Good Poster said:

Reminder: Zero evidence has been put forth that the death of George Floyd was racially motivated.
If there was any it would have been out months ago.

They had a narrative to sell that's about to come back and bite them.
HollywoodBQ
AG
aggiehawg - how long do you think this trial might run before we get a verdict?

I'm trying to estimate how long I've got to reinforce my fortifications in Los Angeles.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
What Biden won't say if the jury fails to convict: "We must respect the jury. Jurors are the greatest strength of our legal system."

But interesting ethical question:

If you're on the jury and you think the cops were abusive a-holes but didn't actually cause Floyd's death, would you convict anyway to avoid massive rioting?
gonemaroon
AG
Good grief this country
BMX Bandit
HollywoodBQ said:

aggiehawg - how long do you think this trial might run before we get a verdict?

I'm trying to estimate how long I've got to reinforce my fortifications in Los Angeles.
late April, early May.
Onceaggie2.0
all this over a drug addict felon and a ******** cop...amazing.
BMX Bandit
Fightin TX Aggie said:

What Biden won't say if the jury fails to convict: "We must respect the jury. Jurors are the greatest strength of our legal system."

But interesting ethical question:

If you're on the jury and you think the cops were abusive a-holes but didn't actually cause Floyd's death, would you convict anyway to avoid massive rioting?
thats an easy ethics question.

the answer is "no."

Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Q: Will the lefty media do ANYTHING to inform and prepare the country that the evidence might not support the charges??

A: No. They're afraid to even question the narrative of obvious guilt.
Win At Life
AG
My BIL once saw a cop chasing a shoplifter across a parking lot and tripped him up long enough for the cops to catch him and cuff him. In the time they left him on the ground he apparently had a heart attack and died. They used my BIL's statement as to what happened as testimony that they didn't beat him up. So, he died in the event of "natural" causes. Very similar to the Floyd case. It happens. But that was 20 years ago, when the world was normal. Today my BIL would be hiding for his life.
MB19
AG
So the 302 finally gets to the defense, and it's damning to the prosecution.
The city is paying "Social Influencers"

Anyone else care to add something else in? This is not looking good for the city of Minneapolis nor the State of Minnesota.

ABATTBQ87
AG
Court TV, the only network devoted to live, gavel-to-gavel coverage, in-depth legal reporting and expert analysis of the nation's most important and compelling trials, will begin its extensive coverage of the murder trial involving the death of George Floyd on Monday, March 8th, the day jury selection begins.

Court TV will be the only network to cover the proceedings live and in their entirety every day from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET.

You can watch Court TV free on streaming devices from Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, and Vizio smart TVs. Court TV is also available on streaming services from YouTube TV, Pluto TV, FreeCast, XUMO, Select TV, KlowdTV, NKT.tv, Redbox, and Local Now.

Finally, you can watch on CourtTV.com and on Court TV's iOS and Android apps.
AGHouston11
AG
We live now in a country where facts do not matter.
Not in the media and not in the courts.
Evanhue
AG
fixer said:

Also paying social media influencers to provide city approved messages

https://www.dailywire.com/news/minneapolis-to-hire-social-media-influencers-to-spread-city-approved-messages-during-derek-chauvin-trial

Yeah tell me how we aren't in Mao's China.
Creepy article. Hired government propagandists, paid for by taxpayers.
aginlakeway
AG
He SHOULD walk. Easily.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
aggiehawg
AG
AG Ellison has called in reinforcements...of the legal kind.

Quote:

Ellison's office employs more than 130 attorneys. Despite the huge staff of attorney at his disposal, Ellison has called in reinforcements to assist them.

This past June Ellison announced the appointment of four outside attorneys in private practice or serving as corporate counsel as special assistants on the case (press release here). The special assistants include Steve Schleicher of Maslon LLP, Jerry Blackwell of Blackwell Burke, both of Minneapolis, and Lola Velzquez-Aguilu, lead counsel for brain modulation at Medtronic in Fridley.

The fourth outside attorney is the star of the group: former Obama administration acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal, now in private practice at Hogan Lovells in Washington, D.C.

Curious about the arrangements for their appointment, I filed a Data Practices Act request with Ellison's office seeking the relevant documents. Deputy Attorney General David Voigt produced a set of repetitive and partly redacted documents in response to my request under cover of a letter dated December 1, 2020.

In his (partly redacted) June 12 memo naming the attorneys he wanted deputized, Ellison wrote that "in terms of our trial team (redacted), I propose we include a team that brings us the best of all our strengths.I want to lick [sic] this down by Wednesday, June 17." Naming the first three attorneys above, Ellison rendered Schleicher's name as "Schlisher." He touted Lola Velasquez-Aguilu's experience as "former federal prosecutors [sic], good trial lawyer, former federal prosecutor." He had a lot on his mind.

Heavily redacted notes of a June 17 office meeting reflect that Ellison wanted "a pool of trial lawyers with diverse skills" and that Ellison's proposed pool of outside attorneys was "diverse."

Katyal came later and, of the four special assistants featured in Ellison's press release, only Katyal has been visible so far. As of this month Hogan Lovells associate attorneys Harrison Gray Kilgore and Victoria Joseph have been granted leave to appear on behalf of the state in the case as well.
Link
oklaunion
Whether or not a lot of folks who have been jonesing for ammo and firearms the past year have realized it, this elephant in the room is why those who pay attention to these things have been prepping for the spring.

I do a couple of gun shows a year and last year had innumerable older ladies want to buy ARs and Mini-14s because they had just witnessed passive and non-passive demonstrations in their small east Texas towns by BLM. Never had they had it happen. In visiting with them before selling, I was impressed with their perception of what was ahead.

Like one poster said (or I read into the statement), just like those cities who win a pro sports championship, there will likely be widespread violence, acquit, semi-acquit, or convict. There are those lowlifes who are just wanting to burn, steal and destroy others' property.
aggiehawg
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Court TV, the only network devoted to live, gavel-to-gavel coverage, in-depth legal reporting and expert analysis of the nation's most important and compelling trials, will begin its extensive coverage of the murder trial involving the death of George Floyd on Monday, March 8th, the day jury selection begins.

Court TV will be the only network to cover the proceedings live and in their entirety every day from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET.

You can watch Court TV free on streaming devices from Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Android TV, and Vizio smart TVs. Court TV is also available on streaming services from YouTube TV, Pluto TV, FreeCast, XUMO, Select TV, KlowdTV, NKT.tv, Redbox, and Local Now.

Finally, you can watch on CourtTV.com and on Court TV's iOS and Android apps.
Thanks for the info.
Slyfox07
AG
zoneag said:

None of the facts and evidence are going to matter. Democrats are going to riot nationwide again.

You mean "peacefully protest".

Only conservatives riot.
nortex97
AG
It's always sad to watch the legal sausage being made.

This is a vast sum to spend on a defendant who, to anyone who has paid attention to the facts, is innocent of the ludicrous charges brought by the state against him. He followed procedure. He called for, and requested follow up/priority to get medical assistance on site. Hardly a murderer.

It's also a bit tragic to consider what those funds could have done for real victims of violent crimes in Minn. But instead they are going to high power attorneys to target an innocent man to promote a false racial political narrative.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.