COVID exponential growth in full swing

111,108 Views | 1213 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texagbeliever
Nitro Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
61,000,000 for H1N1. So we have a ways to go. When are we going to get there? Mid April?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
aginlakeway
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Jesus ****ing Christ. Wake up. We will be LUCKY if it's only a few hundred thousand dead. LUCKY.

Ok. What do you want TexAgs posters to do after they wake up?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Already 14k new US cases since yesterday and by the end of the day we'll have more or less doubled in 24 hours (24k to 45-48k estimate).

Worldwide we'll surpass 500k by tomorrow morning and hit a million sometime early Wednesday. We're still at least a week away from curbing the exconential growth internationally if our current measures work and it's essentially a mathematical and medical certainty we'll hit 10 million cases world wide by the start of next week.

A lot of people are about to get a very disturbing math lesson.

I'm so tired of the few of you on this site that appear to be just reveling in this crap.
Can't post about the issue without some sort of self congratulatory pat on the back. So disgusting.

Nobody is reviling in this. It's the opposite. We're shocked, saddened and scared that so many can't even come close to grasping what's going on.

There are quite obviously a handful of folks who have thoroughly enjoyed posting in a very "I told you so manner". You know it and I know it. It's completely unhelpful and just plain distasteful.
Bubba smollett
300 deaths that's 2 weekends in Chicago
Wife of Chas Satterfield
The_Fox said:

Wife of Chas Satterfield said:

The_Fox said:

will25u said:

The cases are skyrocketing, BUT the death rate is plummeting.

38,757 cases
396 deaths
1.02% death rate.

March 20th - 1.3%
March 21st - 1.19%
March 22nd - 1.02%
Testing is not the issue. Testing should be used for quarantine purposes.

What is the cost for a test?
What is the daily economic cost of this lockdown? Testing costs would not even be a blip on the radar.
Unless as some people suggest that everybody should be tested. That plan would be idiotic and costly.

$200 per test for each American would add up. A waste of perfectly good money.
Not as much as $1200 per adult and $500 per child every two weeks for the duration of this ******edness.

Test! Let us see what the real numbers say about the mortality rate. Anything under 0.5 and this lockdown is a freaking joke.
If you are trying to cause me to panic you have to do much better.
Philip J Fry
AG
At this rate, yes.
Wife of Chas Satterfield
Social Distanced said:

Freeeeee

We have Obama bucks left over or something?
Wildcat
AG
So the conclusion is that the mitigation plan failed?
Aegrescit medendo
The_Fox

The_Fox said:

The_Fox said:

will25u said:

The cases are skyrocketing, BUT the death rate is plummeting.

38,757 cases
396 deaths
1.02% death rate.

March 20th - 1.3%
March 21st - 1.19%
March 22nd - 1.02%
Testing is not the issue. Testing should be used for quarantine purposes.

What is the cost for a test?
What is the daily economic cost of this lockdown? Testing costs would not even be a blip on the radar.
Unless as some people suggest that everybody should be tested. That plan would be idiotic and costly.

$200 per test for each American would add up. A waste of perfectly good money.
Not as much as $1200 per adult and $500 per child every two weeks for the duration of this ******edness.

Test! Let us see what the real numbers say about the mortality rate. Anything under 0.5 and this lockdown is a freaking joke.
If you are trying to cause me to panic you have to do much better.
Good. There is zero reason to panic over the Wuhan Flu. I am glad we agree.
Aggie95
AG
there is chart showing the rate of increase is slowing...we are on the right track.
TRADUCTOR
Always look on the bright side of life...
The_Fox
LaQuica said:

300 deaths that's 2 weekends in Chicago
Will Chicago 2020 virus deaths exceed 2020 shooting deaths?
agsalaska
AG
Wildcat said:

So the conclusion is that the mitigation plan failed?
No. These cases are mostly pre mitigation plan. We will not know whether or not the mitigation efforts are workign for a couple of weeks.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Nitro Power
AG
So that would be 610,000 deaths by Mid April?

Do you still not see how ridiculous saying that is? This thing has been around since November with 15,000 (I don't know the exact number) deaths yet in less than a month it's going to 610,000?

I'm surely not understanding what you are saying right?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
agsalaska
AG
Social Distanced said:

61,000,000 for H1N1. So we have a ways to go. When are we going to get there? Mid April?
Dude, your username.

From 2009?

How did you know?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Nitro Power
AG
Nice question and no it won't.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Possible but not likely. Hard to say right now what the curve looks like with US driving most of the positive cases in last 48 hours purely due to testing capacity. That has nothing to do with rate of spread. It's incredibly misleading to say "500k by tomorrow" or "1M by Wednesday"
Philip J Fry
AG
aginlakeway said:

Philip J Fry said:

Jesus ****ing Christ. Wake up. We will be LUCKY if it's only a few hundred thousand dead. LUCKY.

Stop pretending that this is the flu. Stop pretending that a 1% death rate is meaningful when once the hospital system collapses will be closer to 10%.

If social distancing works, maybe we'll keep it at 1%, but we are not on a good trajectory.
aginlakeway
AG
Philip J Fry said:

At this rate, yes.

So how many deaths by mid-April?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
LaQuica said:

300 deaths that's 2 weekends 1 Saturday in Chicago
FIFY
Nitro Power
AG
Serious question man. How do you get up out of bed in the mornings? What's the point since it's all doom and gloom?
aginlakeway
AG
Philip J Fry said:

aginlakeway said:

Philip J Fry said:

Stop pretending that this is the flu. Stop pretending that a 1% death rate is meaningful when once the hospital system collapses will be closer to 10%.

If social distancing works, maybe we'll keep it at 1%, but we are not on a good trajectory.

Ok. Well I'm not pretending about any of that. So what else you want random TexAgs posters to do, the ones you are screaming at?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
That's a poignant anecdote that significantly overstates our current situation. COVID does not have a doubling time of one day (even right now, even with massive testing increases in last week) and that scenario assumes constant exponential growth.
Zobel
AG
Sure, of course. But every time you read a msm article and they say - half our cases are from the last week.. you should say, yes, that's how this works.

Whatever the doubling period is, half of your cases come from the last doubling period. It's less than a week now.

Without intervention for this you won't see the epidemic growth slow until a solid portion of people - 15%+ are no longer susceptible. That's millions needed to slow it down by herd immunity.

Put another way. If the "pond being full" is when we hit our peak cases per day and it starts rolling over into a log curve, half of the cumulative total to date will be from the last "day".
FriendlyAg
pfo said:

After reading Texags and seeing all the spring breakers on the beach, I expect the number infected will explode. Even posters I greatly respect and a few friends I know are smart, aren't taking this seriously and aren't following the common sense rules that infectious disease doctors are recommending.
This... It's crazy. I get people getting annoyed with the doom and gloom, but people placing bets on death tolls given the statistics, first hand professional anecdotal evidence, and world governments taking drastic steps...

FriendlyAg
Lester Freamon said:

500k cases by tomorrow and a million by Wednesday? What are you smoking buddy?
exponential math
Nitro Power
AG
Even if that were true, there is no way we can do 1M test by Wednesday, and that is assuming they are all positive. Again irresponsible and misleading, I don't care what your qualifications are (OP not you)
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Are you one of the dorks who plugged an exponential equation into Excel and showed us a spreadsheet with 500B infected by March 14?

Philip J Fry
AG
aginlakeway said:

Philip J Fry said:

aginlakeway said:

Philip J Fry said:

Ok. Well I'm not pretending about any of that. So what else you want random TexAgs posters to do, the ones you are screaming at?

Plenty of people are. And if you aren't one, the kudos to you. The American people need to prepare themselves to see the numbers dramatically increase over the next couple weeks.
FriendlyAg
k2aggie07 said:

I suppose we're going to find out if guys like him who do this for a living are better at predictions than the general population here shortly. It's not like a long time frame.

My dad told me this nice example, I keep repeating it to myself.

If you have a lily pond with one lily in it, and they reproduce double every day, and it takes 50 days to cover the pond, when is half covered? On day 49.

I know it's true, but it still makes me head hurt.
Most people struggle with exponential growth. This is a good common sense example. You could keep going.

On day 51, the same pond could be covered again, the same growth rate that took 50 days to cover the first pond.

I think it's why people are also bad savers/reinvestors. Some aren't but most are.
93MarineHorn

Quote:

Ok, doomer, you've jumped the shark. Do yourself an enormous favor and stop watching the news.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Lester Freamon said:

500k cases by tomorrow and a million by Wednesday? What are you smoking buddy?

It's basic math
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aginlakeway
AG
Philip J Fry said:

aginlakeway said:

Philip J Fry said:

aginlakeway said:

Philip J Fry said:

Plenty of people are. And if you aren't one, the kudos to you. The American people need to prepare themselves to see the numbers dramatically increase over the next couple weeks.

Ok. Well maybe scream at them instead of random texags posters.

How do you suggest that we prepare for the increased numbers? What should we do?
agsalaska
AG
Yep. It is a concept that many on this board really, really struggle with.
FriendlyAg
Lester Freamon said:

Are you one of the dorks who plugged an exponential equation into Excel and showed us a spreadsheet with 500B infected by March 14?

No, that was not me.

There will be a decline in the exponential growth once it reaches a certain point, I am not saying the whole world would be infected. There becomes a point where the growth diminishes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.