COVID exponential growth in full swing

110,904 Views | 1213 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texagbeliever
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Already 14k new US cases since yesterday and by the end of the day we'll have more or less doubled in 24 hours (24k to 45-48k estimate).

Worldwide we'll surpass 500k by tomorrow morning and hit a million sometime early Wednesday. We're still at least a week away from curbing the exconential growth internationally if our current measures work and it's essentially a mathematical and medical certainty we'll hit 10 million cases world wide by the start of next week.

A lot of people are about to get a very disturbing math lesson.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie2812-2
AG
How many positives vs tested?
crowman2010
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Already 14k new US cases since yesterday and by the end of the day we'll have more or less doubled in 24 hours (24k to 45-48k estimate).

Worldwide we'll surpass 500k by tomorrow morning and hit a million sometime early Wednesday. We're still at least a week away from curbing the exconential growth internationally if our current measures work and it's essentially a mathematical and medical certainty we'll hit 10 million cases world wide by the start of next week.

And 12k of the 14k are in NY...
Ag with kids
AG
Have hospitalizations and deaths been following the same curve?
policywonk98
AG
New cases or cases that have been identified by testing?

There is a big difference.
annie88
AG
Staff. Please Move this to covid forum

[CAN'T MERGE THREADS, ONLY LOCK, DELETE, OR MOVE FORUMS. -STAFF]
Dad
AG
I hope the growth has somehow been even faster than we think and a huge number of people have already recovered from it without knowing.

Otherwise, we are going to be in for a world of hurt if we don't find an effective treatment.
Pelayo
AG
Ag with kids said:

there will be a lag
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Threadbare
policywonk98 said:

Cleary this number is profoundly impacted by the increased testing availability.

A simply stunning omission from the OP...
billydean05
Over under on 50,000 deaths in their US by the end of 2020. I take the under
Infection_Ag11
AG
policywonk98 said:

The number of actual US cases is almost certainly over 100k already.
Tom Hagen
AG
Deaths are the only stat that matters, not the number of cases. I don't see deaths increasing exponentially.
We have seen this movie before. Government over-hypes a threat as an excuse to grab more of our freedoms. When the “threat” is over, however, they never give us our freedoms back...Ron Paul

Maroon Dawn
AG
All I know is that I work in a major hospital and right now we are not overrun at all.

Almost the opposite as the ER is empty and elective surgeries cancelled
74OA
AG
Keep the raw numbers in perspective. Doc Reveille over on the virus board has been pounding this point from the beginning: First Paragraph
Infection_Ag11
AG
Ag with kids said:

There's always a lag
Nitro Power
AG
Way under.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
Infection_Ag11
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Deaths are the only stat that matters, not the number of cases.

That's just about the most incorrect statement ever posted.

The number of cases directly impacts mortality, both from this disease and as a whole, due to healthcare burden.

Everyone who has ANY life threatening health problem right now is at higher risk of death.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Nitro Power
AG
You don't say?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
P.C. Principal
Tom Hagen said:

Deaths are the only stat that matters, not the number of cases. I don't see deaths increasing exponentially.
No. Stop saying this stuff.

Increased number of cases is going to result in increased deaths. That's what people are warning about. We don't need to wait until hundreds or thousands of people are dying every day to take drastic action.
AggielandPoultry
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

All I know is that I work in a major hospital and right now we are not overrun at all.

Same thing where I work. A lot of Gawkers and frequent flyers for the most part. But from what I'm hearing we are actually testing more people now.
Nitro Power
AG
Sensationalism much?
P.C. Principal
crowman2010 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

What's your point?

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

According to this, which is updated multiple times a day, there are 31k known cases in the US, and just under 16k in the state of NY. It makes sense that NYC got hit very hard because it's the biggest city in the US and is very dense. If I lived in NYC I'd get the hell out of there yesterday.
Philip J Fry
AG
Tom Hagen said:

You can't view this graph? Are you blind or just unwilling to open your eyes?

Quote:

crowman2010 said:

Texas is a whole 5 days away from where New York is right now. At the end of the week, we will be where NY is right now.

P.C. Principal
Social Distanced said:

Sensationalism much?
No, using common sense. Taking heed of warnings to avoid an explosion of cases is common sense, not sensationalism.
Nitro Power
AG
Saying hundreds of thousands are going to die in the US is sensationalism.
Maroon Dawn
AG
AggielandPoultry said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Same thing where I work. A lot of Gawkers and frequent flyers for the most part. But from what I'm hearing we are actually testing more people now.

So far we've had just a handful of positive tests but with one exception, they were all sent home and told to come back only if they were having breathing problems. The other was admitted due to preexisting pulmonary issues for observation and so far is our only actual COVID admit
Philip J Fry
AG
Wake up. We will be LUCKY if it's only a few hundred thousand dead. LUCKY.
P.C. Principal
I didn't say that. I said hundreds OR thousands of people dying a day due to exponential growth, which is something we need to do everything in our power to avoid.
aggie appraiser
Quote:

Quote:

It makes sense that NYC got hit very hard because it's the biggest city in the US and is very dense. If I lived in NYC I'd get the hell out of there yesterday.

If only everyone followed your advice the virus would be spread across the nation in no time. Great plan, Dr. Pasteur.
Nitro Power
AG
In the United States? 1,000 dollars to the winners choice of charity? Make it a nice round number, say 250,000. I'll take the under and you can make the check payable to the National MS Society.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Social Distanced said:

Saying hundreds of thousands are going to die in the US is sensationalism.

Not necessarily

We get close to 100k deaths in bad flu seasons

But we have no actual clue how this will compare yet
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
P.C. Principal said:

I didn't say that. I said hundreds OR thousands of people dying a day due to exponential growth, which is something we need to do everything in our power to avoid.

I think he is talking about the OP.
Gap
AG
policywonk98 said:

The OP said "new" cases. Best case is being negligent in his use of vocabulary. I would expect a professional in this area to be more precise in his use of language. Exponential growth has always been expected with this virus. However, these are cases confirmed by testing not new cases. Part of the problem with the lack of testing globally and in the US is we don't have good data and don't know exactly where we are and where we are headed.

Anyone want to graph number of tests given by day and see what that curve looks like? It will be scary.

We are getting the information that wasn't available from China with the testing ramping up that will give us a much more accurate mortality rate.
Ag In Ok
AG
P.C. Principal said:

Tom Hagen said:

No. Stop saying this stuff.

Increased number of cases is going to result in increased deaths. That's what people are warning about. We don't need to wait until hundreds or thousands of people are dying every day to take drastic action.

Hospitalizations matter - local and regional bed capacity.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.