***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,256 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
St Hedwig Aggie said:

The drinker, as usual, bores a hole deep and hard into Disney BS…

this is the simple point I have been trying to make.

The mythical, modern, audience, Lucasfilm has been chasing for ten years now, simply doesn't exist, has never existed, and never will. The people who shout the loudest about it on social media don't actually care about shows like the Acolyte and won't even bother to watch ............................that doesn't translate to making money for your studio

Yep.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

Jim01 said:

Other than behind the camera, how exactly are people saying this show was woke? Because of the two witches being the "moms" of the twins? That's honestly the only thing in the show I can remember that would even remotely qualify as making this show "woke". Was there something else?
Previews should have had a disclaimer that said "no white males were used in the filming of this series"

So funny
Lathspell
AG
Max Power
AG
St Hedwig Aggie said:

Max Power said:

Never watched an episode, I learned all I need from the critical drinker.

His reviews can be brutal but usually on point…especially when dumps all over "the message".
His reviews are entertaining, and completely spot on. Every time he says "strong female character" when reviewing the episodes it makes me smile. He's hitting you over the head with it, because Disney is hitting the view over the head with it. His accent also adds to the entertainment. His brutality is actually just unvarnished truth IMO. He puts a lot of time into it as well, splicing in scenes from the show to illustrate how ridiculous the things he's critiquing are so you don't have to just take his word for it.

If anyone here has the time and hasn't watched his reviews then I think it's worth your time to watch each episode's breakdown, they're hilarious.

Redstone
AG
I am gutted by the decision to cancel this groundbreaking show, and then doubly gutted for those teaching daughters, granddaughters, and nieces about strong female character development and BIPOC Representation.

Headland, the first of female identity to create a Star Wars series, tapped into something truly fresh, exciting, and groundbreaking with S1 and absolutely deserved more time to let those ideas cook.

We all lose with this sad decision.

One final note. Now that TNNCS and I are allies, brought together by our aliens / UAP thread, I do hope posters and lurkers alike comb through this thread for his takes as an industry professional.
Cliff.Booth
I waited too long
LPHA
AG
The show had issues, but I was excited to see where it went. This is disappointing
LPHA
AG
Wtf with the emote?
Quad Dog
AG
Saw this on Reddit. Not surprising it got canceled based purely on cost per minute watched.

EMY92
AG
Disney is doing a great job of putting Star Wars into the grave.

I remember going to see Star Wars with my dad, it remained my favorite movie for many, many years. When Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi hit the theaters, I had my mom pick me and a friend up for school so we could get the theater to see it on opening day.

Lucas then did Ep. 1 - 3, and greatly missed the mark, however, the films were somewhat entertaining.

The Force Awakens brought back some good Star Wars, even if it was a remake of the original. I have seen this movie several times.

I think Rogue One may be the best Star Wars movie. Then, things turned sour. 8 & 9 I saw on opening day, and haven't watched them again. Even if they're on TBS, I won't turn the on to have someone on in the background. Solo was terrible.

Then, we get Disney+. Mando had 2 good seasons, I wasn't impressed with the 3rd. Andor was good, and I enjoyed Ashoka. I also enjoyed the final season of Clone Wars and Rebels. But, Kenobi was terrible. Boba Fest was terrible. The Acolyte - I didn't watch enough to say it was terrible, or maybe my quickly fading interest proved that it was. I didn't see all of the episodes to make a final judgement, but it seems like I am representative of most Star Wars fans.
jokershady
AG
Rogue One IS the best Star Wars movie.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jokershady said:

The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars say

Rogue One is great, but I rank it #3 behind the first two movies.
aTmAg
AG
Is there a chance that this gets Kathleen Kennedy fired?
agdoc2001
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

I waited too long

It's getting "Willowed"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
aTmAg said:

We can only hope so. Hell, she watched the first four episodes before release and thought they were fantastic. Then the rest of the world saw them and wondered how someone signed off on this bull****. That's not an encouraging sign of her abilities...
powerbelly
AG
aTmAg said:

Hopefully. Star Wars needs new leadership from the top down.
Cliff.Booth
I think a lot of it comes down to how serious Bobby is about reversing course and getting Disney's train off the clown tracks. He watched Acolyte and was like what in the **** is this and then watched its incompetent director and star who can't act insulting George Lucas and longtime fans. She fully deserves to be fired, but whether or not he has the stones to do it is the question. Hopefully he's being pressured a bit by the kind of people who actually have a vested interest in Disney making money instead of social statements.
aTmAg
AG
To me, Kennedy's fate is the sign of Disney's true direction. If they merely claim to go unwoke but keep her around, then clearly they are all talk. If they can her ass, then I might start believing that they are serious. But even that depends on who they replace her with. If it's another DEI hire, then it was still all talk.
Quad Dog
AG
They don't want to pay residuals.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah. Acolyte is a symptom, among many, of Kennedy's inability to effectively run LF. She's just not the right fit and has got to go.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Quad Dog said:

What residuals?
Urban Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

jokershady said:

The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars say

Rogue One is great, but I rank it #3 behind the first two movies.
ESB
R1

Star Wars

ROTJ
ROTS

Solo
AOTC
TFA
TPM

TLJ
ROS

come at me

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TESB
SW
R1
ROTS
ROTJ
TPM
Solo
TFA
AOTC
ROS
TLJ
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Quad Dog said:

What residuals?

Actually, I looked this up, and residuals would be based on subscriber count regardless of whether the show is watched. That's ****ing nuts. Willow that ****, Disney!
aTmAg
AG
Let's say they fire Kennedy. Then what? The lore (or whatever it is called) is basically ruined.

Maybe blow away all cannon and start over from scratch? Make the timeframe of first episode be long before the prequels. New characters and everything. Hell, maybe start it with the first ever jedi and call it "The First Jedi". A kid grows up with jedi powers and has no idea where it came from. He has no idea how to use it or anything and has to figure it all out himself as there is nobody to teach him. Perhaps he has to keep it a secret to avoid getting persecuted by leadership or something. Hell, they could make it all start on a single planet before they discovered inter-solar-system travel yet. They could make it like Game of Thrones. Everybody has horses, swords, and crap. But this one kid, and eventually his family, can make stuff float with their brains.

They could make that planet the source of the Sith. Perhaps have an a-hole descendant decides to use his powers to kill a bunch of people and take power as king. (Could call that one "The First Sith")

Eventually they get discovered by a technically advanced civilization what introduces them to space ships, other species, and whatnot. Those people don't have any jedi powers. And maybe there is a fight between the advanced civilization and the Jedi on this world.

Anyway, there is a lot of places they could go.

Maybe eventually after a bunch of movies they introduce Anakin's mom and connect it to the current series. But DON'T pretend these are prequels to existing movies. They are redos. Hell they may remake Star Wars, ESB, and RotJ with a few of the same people, but not word for word. Hell they could re-imagine a more modernized Darth Vader. Get rid of the cape and crap.

They should write a rough outline of the entire series of 15 movies or so. Don't make it up as the go anymore. Once they get to 15, STOP. Let those 15 be THE series and leave it at that. Don't screw it up with a bunch of add-ons and other BS.

Anyway.. just an idea.
DrEvazanPhD
aTmAg said:

Let's say they fire Kennedy. Then what? The lore (or whatever it is called) is basically ruined.

Maybe blow away all cannon and start over from scratch? Make the timeframe of first episode be long before the prequels. New characters and everything. Hell, maybe start it with the first ever jedi and call it "The First Jedi". A kid grows up with jedi powers and has no idea where it came from. He has no idea how to use it or anything and has to figure it all out himself as there is nobody to teach him. Perhaps he has to keep it a secret to avoid getting persecuted by leadership or something. Hell, they could make it all start on a single planet before they discovered inter-solar-system travel yet. They could make it like Game of Thrones. Everybody has horses, swords, and crap. But this one kid, and eventually his family, can make stuff float with their brains.

They could make that planet the source of the Sith. Perhaps have an a-hole descendant decides to use his powers to kill a bunch of people and take power as king. (Could call that one "The First Sith")

Eventually they get discovered by a technically advanced civilization what introduces them to space ships, other species, and whatnot. Those people don't have any jedi powers. And maybe there is a fight between the advanced civilization and the Jedi on this world.

Maybe eventually after a bunch of movies they introduce Anakin's mom and connect it to the current series. But DON'T pretend these are prequels to existing movies. They are redos. Hell they may remake Star Wars, ESB, and RotJ with a few of the same people, but not word for word. Hell they could re-imagine a more modernized Darth Vader. Get rid of the cape and crap.

They should write a rough outline of the entire series of 15 movies or so. Don't make it up as the go anymore. Once they get to 15, STOP. Let those 15 be THE series and leave it at that. Don't screw it up with a bunch of add-ons and other BS.

Anyway.. just an idea.
I like the idea of using the original Timothy Zahn sequels. Great stories, some great new characters, and the villain isnt relying on some planet-killing superweapon. You'd need to recast Luke, Leia and Han, but has enough of the same to make fans feel comfortable, while introducing new characters with their own backstories and character arcs
powerbelly
AG
You can easily recast cannon. Especially since no one is really fond of the new stuff.
Moral High Horse
jokershady said:

There needs to be a Rogue Two
Urban Ag
AG
powerbelly said:

You can easily recast cannon. Especially since no one is really fond of the new stuff.
Here's your recast Solo

Urban Ag
AG
Moral High Horse said:

jokershady said:

Well, there's a slight problem with that...........
Azariah
AG
Moral High Horse said:

jokershady said:

Did.. Did you watch all of Rogue One?
Azariah
AG
aTmAg said:

Anyway.. just an idea.
The idea seeds for the stories in the Disney era have been pretty good:
-The Sequels: New Republic is failing due to internal politics and another 'Empire' rises to take over. Involves a lot of the original characters and descendants of them.

etc.

It's the execution of these where everything falls apart. There's no need to blow away all canon; just get a real Feige-level person in to make sure it's all done at a high quality. Even after all of grievous mistakes Disney has made, there is still a ton of interest in Star Wars. If Disney took concrete steps that people could see the logic behind to address this, a wave of forgiveness would follow.

Specifically, if tomorrow Disney turned the reins of deciding where the universe goes over to Filoni and the reins of how to tell those stories over to Favreau, we would lose our collective minds.
wangus12
AG
Urban Ag said:

Moral High Horse said:

jokershady said:

Well, there's a slight problem with that...........

TCTTS
AG
Re: Kennedy, her current contract is reportedly up at the end of the year. There's buzz/hope that she won't technically have to be fired, and that instead Disney simply won't renew her. She'll have given the franchise 12+ years, can tout her financial successes over that time (while ignoring her creative disasters) and then hand the franchise off to someone else, without much drama. No idea if that's how it'll play out, but hopefully we'll know more at some point over the next four months.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This thread is a perfect example of what I fear....since political correctness was amped up to unprecented levels (becoming what we now call "woke"), and the corresponding overreaction by the other side to attribute everything to "wokeness", we've lost the ability to have nuanced discussions about anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.