***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,299 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The best thing about that show was that there was a flash of some dark hooded Sith-looking dude in a cave... everything else was extremely forgettable.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
At this point I don't even care enough to post an actual review of that finale.

Did absolutely nothing for me, and so many things made no sense.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It'll get a second season because anyone who doesn't lap it up is a homophobic, misogynistic fascist. Just ask everyone at Disney from KK on down. The show is fantastic. It's the audience that sucks.
TCTTS
AG
That's a little over the top, and a mindset from a different, pre-Iger-return era, but we shall see.
LB12Diamond
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

The best thing about that show was that there was a flash of some dark hooded Sith-looking dude in a cave... everything else was extremely forgettable.

I laughed at that one. Oh wow, a new totally random character that we will not learn anything about in the last episode. Makes total sense with the writing of this show.

Maybe I missed it but I don't ever remembering so many Jedi that lie and are just not like Jedi in another Star Wars show prior to this one.
Cliff.Booth
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Is there anything more fitting than this last episode showing us both Darth Plagieous and Yoda and giving neither character a freaking line or meaningful moment. I. In fact Darth Plagieous creeping around the cave raises more awkward questions than being cool fan service. Doesn't seem very Sith Lord like.

And ending with just Yoda's back felt cheap and thrown in. Not even a deep Yoda sigh.

Rodent sabotaging the ship didn't make sense. Sol didn't make sense these last two episodes. And Mae/Osha actually grew less compelling this episode and their "flip" seemed really hollow.

There is a good story to be told with these characters and pieces, but it did not get there. Episode 6 should have been the season cliff hanger.

And don't get me started on the senator calling out Anakin's fall in 100 years. That whole scene felt wedged in and not organic at all.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

That's a little over the top, and a mindset from a different, pre-Iger-return era, but we shall see.

It's not like Amandla Stenberg wrote one of the world's worst rap songs about it or anything...
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

I have ended up here.
Madmarttigan
AG
I am 100% confident that if 10 of us got into a room together we could knock out a better story in a day. We could put out a hit given a week.
Formerly tv1113
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I am 100% confident that if 10 of us got into a room together we could knock out a better story in a day. We could put out a hit given a week.

It is like they actively refused the easy layups.
ABATTBQ11
AG
LB12Diamond said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

I laughed at that one. Oh wow, a new totally random character that we will not learn anything about in the last episode. Makes total sense with the writing of this show.

Without some kind of hook, no one would want a season 2, which is kind of funny because whatever they put in season 2 could probably have fit in season 1 and actually made it better. After it all, this seems like The Hobbit, where a story was stretched and convoluted to fit three movies when it should have been 2 at most and the end product was just a long, drawn out mess that felt like butter spread over too much bread.
Cliff.Booth
I'm baffled WTF this was going for until I read commentary from someone on the exact wavelength as KK and people like Leslye and Amandla. This is it.

C@LAg
TCTTS said:

In the nearly 50-year span of the franchise, IMO, this was the most forgettable piece of live-action Star Wars content ever made.

Just a complete, inept, inconsequential bore.

Obsessed with the past to a fault, revolving around it in such a baffling way, with damn near no plot to speak of or forward momentum beyond it.

There were chunks of this episode, in particular, toward the beginning, where I had absolutely no idea what anyone's motivations were, where they were, why they were leaving, where characters were going, etc. Yet, at the same time, I wasn't even confused. I was just… watching moving images on my screen. Completely lucid and not on my phone, but also as disengaged as I could possibly be. Almost like zoning out when driving alone on the highway. In fact, that's exactly what watching this show felt like.

Overall there was just… nothing to root for or invest in or care about. I didn't like a single character, and I couldn't even tell you who the main character was or what they were trying to achieve.

I couldn't tell you what the hell the point of any of it was.

And that ending?

Why did any of that have to happen? Why on earth would Osha actively choose to train with Qimir? Why does Qimir even give a **** at this point? I know lines of dialogue were spoke that "explain" those things, but they simply explain away plot mechanics/pre-determined story decisions, not the inner motivations of real characters.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever actively rooted for a show NOT to get another season, but at this point I'll honestly be mad if the slop we were just given is rewarded in any way.
oh you dun gone and triggered porkchop.
Cliff.Booth
C@LAg
Cliff.Booth said:

you just wait until they get their overnight numbers for Koala Lumpur!
TCTTS
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

TCTTS said:

It's not like Amandla Stenberg wrote one of the world's worst rap songs about it or anything...

Amandla Stenberg producing a truly terrible rap video isn't remotely in the same league as the mess Disney/Lucasfilm is in. I posted a study earlier today in the main Star Wars thread, showing that The Acolyte is the least watched Disney+ Star Wars show by a pretty wide margin. Given all the cost-cutting mandates company wide, hopefully they stop doubling down on failures like this, especially ones from a bygone era.
C@LAg
they have ruined the books and comics with utter idocy and drivel and tv has now reached the same low.

they should stop diluting the brand with any more TV other than a single animated series at any given time, and focus solely on films.

somehow that managed to bring in $500MM year steady, even in years without a film in theaters.
Charlie Conway
I'm just glad we've all been together on this incredible ride
C@LAg
Charlie Conway said:

I'm just glad we've all been together on this incredible ride
i enjoyed everyone's weekly suffering.

concac
AG
"Don't move. Lay down any weapons that you have and surrender. You're under arrest." said by that dorky Jedi when they found Mae.

So so bad.
LB12Diamond
AG
My boy was actually mad at me for watching the show. I think he said, don't support that trash to encourage them continuing it.

My response, it's like watching a train wreck. You can't turn away to see what carnage is next.
Moral High Horse
So did yoda save the day?
concac
AG
Is TPE okay?
C@LAg
concac said:

Is TPE okay?
TCTTS
AG
concac said:

Is TPE okay?

I just checked and he hasn't been active since Saturday. His last few posts were in a Trump assassination attempt thread, which very well could have ended with a visit to banned camp? Otherwise, maybe he's on vacation. Curious to eventually hear his thoughts, regardless.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

TCTTS said:

Amandla Stenberg producing a truly terrible rap video isn't remotely in the same league as the mess Disney/Lucasfilm is in. I posted a study earlier today in the main Star Wars thread, showing that The Acolyte is the least watched Disney+ Star Wars show by a pretty wide margin. Given all the cost-cutting mandates company wide, hopefully they stop doubling down on failures like this, especially ones from a bygone era.

Oh, they'll double down. Otherwise they have to admit a lot of hard truths about their mishandling of the franchise and risk the wrath of the lgbt crowd they've been pandering to because they didn't give the gayest Star Wars show ever (from interview with Headland and Stenberg, not me) a second season.

KK even said she was, "blown away," by the first 4 episodes. They truly think it's great, and they'll give it another shot.
C@LAg
likely just still dealing with hurricane related crap, like he was last week.
TCTTS
AG
Oh that's right. Sucks, if so. Hope everything's okay.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

In the nearly 50-year span of the franchise, IMO, this was the most forgettable piece of live-action Star Wars content ever made.

Obsessed with the past to a fault, revolving around it in such a baffling way, with damn near no plot to speak of or forward momentum beyond it.

There were chunks of this episode, in particular, toward the beginning, where I had absolutely no idea what anyone's motivations were, where they were, why they were leaving, where characters were going, etc. Yet, at the same time, I wasn't even confused. I was just… watching moving images on my screen. Completely lucid and not on my phone, but also as disengaged as I could possibly be. Almost like zoning out when driving alone on the highway. In fact, that's exactly what watching this show felt like.

Overall there was just… nothing to root for or invest in or care about. I didn't like a single character, and I couldn't even tell you who the main character was or what they were trying to achieve.

And that ending?

Why did any of that have to happen? Why on earth would Osha actively choose to train with Qimir? Why does Qimir even give a **** at this point? I know lines of dialogue were spoke that "explain" those things, but they simply explain away plot mechanics/pre-determined story decisions, not the inner motivations of real characters.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever actively rooted for a show NOT to get another season, but at this point I'll honestly be mad if the slop we were just given is rewarded in any way.

Came here to post my review of this last episode….but….no point now….you nailed it perfectly…..

TCTTS
AG
Maybe it's just me, and not to derail, but I've noticed a gradual and now stark change recently when it comes to some of that stuff. DEI divisions are being shuttered left and right, studios are in survival mode, it feels inevitable now that Trump is going to win in November, etc. I could be wrong, but it just seems like people have increasingly little time, money, or patience for a lot of that pandering/catering now, and that we're moving into a new era. It won't be overnight, obviously, but it's in the air for sure.
PatAg
AG
The show ended up not being good, but not for the reasons the review bombers have. Which makes it tough to have any real discourse. It also means they will probably get a season 2, so as to not give in to those people.
Red Five
AG
TCTTS said:

And that ending?

This is the perfect review, nothing more need be said. However, because of the way I am with Star Wars I can't stand to see things unfinished. Even though I actually hate how they took a **** all over Anakin and the prequels, I still have to see how Mae/Osha lead to him.
PatAg
AG
None of it felt earned within the show
C@LAg
PatAg said:

The show ended up not being good, but not for the reasons the review bombers have. Which makes it tough to have any real discourse. It also means they will probably get a season 2, so as to not give in to those people.
yes. lose more money. that will teach... everyone?

but yes, this will get another season because they are so desperate to move away from the core Skywalker saga, that they really have to.

in their eyes, they see no other path forward.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.