***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,468 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Even then I wonder how much Disney will care, as long as people come to their parks and buy lightsabers, droids and all the other cool crap they have.
DrEvazanPhD
redline248 said:

Even then I wonder how much Disney will care, as long as people come to their parks and buy lightsabers, droids and all the other cool crap they have.

It does work for the Cowboys…
Dekker_Lentz
AG
redline248 said:

Agreed. I put the Parks in the merchandizing group. Park attendance dwindles then changes will be made. The failed Hotel was probably the first big crack. But I think there are reasons beyond the shows/content why it failed.
redline248
AG
Uh, yeah thinking 1% of the world's population being able to afford it could pay for all the costs to run it
Dekker_Lentz
AG
redline248 said:

Uh, yeah thinking 1% of the world's population being able to afford it could pay for all the costs to run it

True that. Still a lot of people at Disney thought it would work.
jokershady
AG
Hai guys! I've been on vacation for a good 5 days!

Did I miss anything?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

redline248 said:

True that. Still a lot of people at Disney thought it would work.

Explains the lhn...
Red Five
AG
Just caught up on the last 2 episodes after being away on vacation. As expected, the "true version" of the crap sandwich we got in episode 3 did not make things any better.

I know this was not a revelation from that epsiode specifically, but the idea that Torbin could go from Padawan to Master in 6 years is completely ludicrous.

Also, really love Sol having a special connection with Osha, and then immediately mistaking Mae for Osha when infiltrating the coven. Super special bond.

On the plus side, I like what they are doing with Qimir/The Stranger and Osha. I wish that had been most of the show and not what we actually got.

As it stands, we have one final episode which has absolutely no chance of satisfactorily wrapping up any story thread that has been established so far, and I dont know why they would give it a second season with the first being so bad.

One final note, and I dont believe this is specific to The Acolyte, but someone at Lucasfilm needs to sit down and figure out how long hyperspace travel is supposed to take and then force all other SW media to follow that rule. In the Acolyte they might as well be teleporting from planet to planet.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think it was 16 years but he grew a really nice fake beard.

The more I think about the real version of events the more I just sigh* at the writing of last episode.

There is zero chance this ends in a satisfactory manner.
Formerly tv1113
Red Five
AG
They said he had been meditating after taking the Barash Vow for 10 years, so he would have had to been made a master prior to that, which would be a maximum of 6 years from the events of Brendok.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Honestly, all other things aside, for someone so self-centered and petty, Torbin doesn't seem like the type who needs absolution and forgiveness in the form of suicide. His demise just seems really out of character.
redline248
AG
Yeah, his grave sin was wanting to go home and defending himself against witches shooting arrows.
ABATTBQ11
AG
redline248 said:

Yeah, his grave sin was wanting to go home and defending himself against witches shooting arrows.

His sin was wanting to go home instead of do his job to the point he ran off and ultimately started the fight with said witches that got them killed. Dude was so concerned about what he wanted and getting it that he just blew everyone else off and ****ed things up royally.
Madmarttigan
AG
It was such a weak motivation. He was pouting about being on a strange planet for weeks? Months/years I get I guess but that was pretty dumb.

No wonder the Jedi fell so easily.
Formerly tv1113
CheeseSndwch
His poor decision/lack of impulse control did occur after the head witch lady poked around in his brain. Maybe that influenced his behavior? Not trying to make excuses for bad writing, just something I thought while watching the second worst episode of the season.
jokershady
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

redline248 said:

His sin was wanting to go home instead of do his job to the point he ran off and ultimately started the fight with said witches that got them killed. Dude was so concerned about what he wanted and getting it that he just blew everyone else off and ****ed things up royally.
witch lady got in his head and besides that, Sol was ordered to go after him and stop him….and instead he goes, "Yeah….this whiny padawan that I should be restraining is my ticket in this building to grab this girl that for some weird reason I have a strong attachment to rescuing even though I've literally only seen her 3 times"

Why didn't they just pick up the phone and be all like, "Hey Jedi council….we just got the bloodwork back and turns out these girls mediclorian levels are straight epic! Yeah….no cap they straight skippitty riz…..y'all want us to snatch and run or just log off?"
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah, none of it really makes sense.

Witch lady got in his head, but pretty sure she wasn't programming him to break in. I think he came up with that stupid idea on his own.

And we're expected to believe that Torbin is supposed to have trained since he was a small child to be a Jedi, practicing self-discipline and foregoing personal attachments, and can't take being away from Corruscant for a few weeks? This is your life, bro!

Dead on about Sol. I mean WhoTF is this guy supposed to be? It seems like he's whoever the plot needs him to be in that moment. His character is squishy and poorly defined.

It all seems incredibly out of place and character for who these people are supposed to be. Maybe that's by design to show how lost the Jedi have become in lacking identity and purpose, but if it is, it's very poorly communicated and executed.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also why did mom start doing weird ass witch things which scared sol into killing her if she was planning on peacefully letting osha go.

Formerly tv1113
fig96
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Also why did mom start doing weird ass witch things which scared sol into killing her if she was planning on peacefully letting osha go.
That's the part that threw things off for me. What exactly was she doing, why, and why did Sol need to go all stabby stabby at that moment?
ABATTBQ11
AG
fig96 said:

Madmarttigan said:

That's the part that threw things off for me. What exactly was she doing, why, and why did Sol need to go all stabby stabby at that moment?

How else is the plot supposed to advance?
Jdavis2017
This is my first time posting on this thread. I love Star Wars, but I am just so bummed that this is such a bad show. I have zero idea where this finale will take us; I have low expectations, but I hope it is good.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but we definitely get Yoda this episode, right?
Red Five
AG
fig96 said:

Madmarttigan said:

Koril was clearly attacking, and Anyseia started doing the black mist witch thingy, which also started happening around Mae, which at this point Sol believed was his special soul daughter Osha, It could have appeared as if she would rather kill Mae/Osha rather than let her go with the Jedi. That part made more sense than Anyseia being super aggressive and threatening, doing a witch thing, and then being like "youre so foolish lol".
CheeseSndwch
"Sometimes I'll start a sentence and I don't know where it's going. I just hope to find it somewhere along the way. Like an improv conversation." - Michael Scott
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ok, as much as I tried to root for this show through the season, I just can't anymore.

The Vernestra actress is bad, and her scenes were so cheesy my stomach started hurting from my lactose intolerance.

I assume either Osha or Mae or both of them were supposed to end up being the "hero" but to be honest I ended up hating both of them.

This show successfully made the Jedi look like a bunch of pussified losers. I mean, Qimir could sense with ease where Osha and Mae were in the forest and he even says, "If I can sense where you are so can the Jedi". But no, apparently they can't because they're the weakest Jedi to ever graduate from the Academy and need a rodent to sniff out where Osha and Mae were. When those Jedi nerds were running around in the forest I half expected to hear the Benny Hill theme song start up.

Speaking of the rodent, can someone explain why he short circuited the ship when Sol was about to stop Mae?

I hate the fact that Disney is not only trying to force these lame twins/split embryo weirdos on us as super powerful new canon characters, but they're ruining established canon characters in the process. That was Darth Plagueis or Darth Tenebrous, peering out of the cave, right?

Ugh. Just such amateurish writing full of plot holes, storytelling short cuts, and lame contrivances.
Jdavis2017
I'm at a loss for words. I think that they absolutely missed the mark on the season finale. I'm frustrated with this show, but they showed one thing in this episode that will make me come back for a season 2 because I'm a sucker for Star Wars.
Jdavis2017
Not sure how to spoiler tag a sentence, but it was 100% your first guess creeping out of the cave.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Jdavis2017 said:

Not sure how to spoiler tag a sentence, but it was 100% your first guess creeping out of the cave.

That's what my son thinks as well.
Madmarttigan
AG
It was poorly and horribly executed, but I am actually curious to see where the story of this show goes.

It's something different so sue me I kind of want a season 2.

I rank it above Boba and Obi-wan. Ashoka might only barely outrank it but that is some head scratching stuff in there as well.
Formerly tv1113
SpreadsheetAg
AG
That lightsaber turning from blue crystal to red and the saber changing color...

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

Speaking of the rodent, can someone explain why he short circuited the ship when Sol was about to stop Mae?

Because the writers and director needed them to both get to the planet , and they're horrible at their jobs... why couldn't Mae have just outpaced Sol to the surface? That was so stupid.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Madmarttigan said:

It was poorly and horribly executed, but I am actually curious to see where the story of this show goes.

It's something different so sue me I kind of want a season 2.

I rank it above Boba and Obi-wan. Ashoka might only barely outrank it but that is some head scratching stuff in there as well.

You're certainly allowed your opinion and wanting a second season. No one should tell you otherwise. It just sucks that the story will be in the hands of these storytellers.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Setup a 5 km perimeter but in the next scene show all of them together following the tracker.

Nice perimeter.
Madmarttigan
AG
I do think the core basic outline of the story is actually interesting and want it elaborated on.

I just want every writer involved with this season fired and the woman who ran it.
Formerly tv1113
gougler08
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I do think the core basic outline of the story is actually interesting and want it elaborated on.

I just want every writer involved with this season fired and the woman who ran it.

That's how I feel as well, I'm sure I'll watch season 2 but the writing was just so bad this season that it made it painful to watch
TCTTS
AG
In the nearly 50-year span of the franchise, IMO, this was the most forgettable piece of live-action Star Wars content ever made.

Just a complete, inept, inconsequential bore.

Obsessed with the past to a fault, revolving around it in such a baffling way, with damn near no plot to speak of or forward momentum beyond it.

There were chunks of this episode, in particular, toward the beginning, where I had absolutely no idea what anyone's motivations were, where they were, why they were leaving, where characters were going, etc. Yet, at the same time, I wasn't even confused. I was just… watching moving images on my screen. Completely lucid and not on my phone, but also as disengaged as I could possibly be. Almost like zoning out when driving alone on the highway. In fact, that's exactly what watching this show felt like.

Overall there was just… nothing to root for or invest in or care about. I didn't like a single character, and I couldn't even tell you who the main character was or what they were trying to achieve.

I couldn't tell you what the hell the point of any of it was.

And that ending?

Why did any of that have to happen? Why on earth would Osha actively choose to train with Qimir? Why does Qimir even give a **** at this point? I know lines of dialogue were spoken that "explain" those things, but they simply explain away plot mechanics/pre-determined story decisions, not the inner motivations of real characters.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever actively rooted for a show NOT to get another season, but at this point I'll honestly be mad if the slop we were just given is rewarded in any way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.