***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,351 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

I just read that the showrunner stated this episode and the next were written as one episode, and that for some unspecified reason Disney + made them split it into two.
So that's why it feels like an oddly timed cliff hanger at the end and a very short episode, versus close to an hour longer one.
And that they cut the Wookie - "Sith" fight, because it was better for the flow of this episode.

Which I feel more inclined to believe this, considering Disney execs track record.

One word: prescreening. This is where the prescreeners left off, so this was probably to build hype.
rynning
AG
It's not good that this is on at the same time as House of Dragons. Similar budgets? What did they actually spend their money on? I realize one is was made for adults and the other for children, but there's no reason The Acolyte couldn't look as good.
jokershady
AG
are critics going to be allowed to the last 4 episodes in a sneak peek like some other shows allow or do you think they'd prefer to not do that?
TCTTS
AG
After the initial round of pre-screeners, sometimes critics then get each episode a few days before it airs, or sometimes they don't and they have and watch with the rest of us. I haven't heard either way yet for this show. You can always tell right when an episode ends, though. If a bunch of reviews and YouTube recaps suddenly drop the second an episode is done, you know all of those people got to see that episode early.
Cliff.Booth
After Disney Lucasfilm's recent string of poorly performing productions, Kathleen greenlit my script and they've given me $150 million to work with. So far let me just say, the acting is still pretty bad, but it's a lot more entertaining. There's also a 15 minute scene of a jedi wookiee murdering an entire hut of witches.

The Porkchop Express
AG
rynning said:

It's not good that this is on at the same time as House of Dragons. Similar budgets? What did they actually spend their money on? I realize one is was made for adults and the other for children, but there's no reason The Acolyte couldn't look as good.
Well, conceivably House of Dragon does more with the same budget because most of their sets are real. Other than the Dragons, most episodes have litte-to-no VFX and no CGI locations. I wish The Acolyte had used the real world more. One of my favorite thing about JJ was his use of real sets and cool places, both in SW and ST.
fig96
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

rynning said:

Well, conceivably House of Dragon does more with the same budget because most of their sets are real. Other than the Dragons, most episodes have litte-to-no VFX and no CGI locations. I wish The Acolyte had used the real world more. One of my favorite thing about JJ was his use of real sets and cool places, both in SW and ST.
Getting off topic, but I would bet large amounts of money that isn't the case.
The Porkchop Express
AG
fig96 said:

rynning said:

Just a thought.
jokershady
AG
After that…….the episode tomorrow better not suck….

I can't get kicked in the nuts twice in one week…..
Charlie Conway
what about a kick and a stomp?
Charlie Conway

fig96 said:

rynning said:

Just a thought.
House of the Dragon will have large, real filming locations that are enhanced with CGI
The Porkchop Express
AG
Charlie Conway said:

fig96 said:

rynning said:

Just a thought.
House of the Dragon will have large, real filming locations that are enhanced with CGI

I guess I meant they are using a lot of locations from the original series. So probably a lot of similar design stuff and a lot less location scouting than if it were a totally new show. Even a lot of similar clothing- they aren't spending money to design how all of the house emblem works. That sort of thing.
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
I've already given up on this show and canceled Disney +. My kids didn't even really care about the Disney sub. Crazy.
FL_Ag1998
AG
The Collective said:

I've already given up on this show and canceled Disney +. My kids didn't even really care about the Disney sub. Crazy.

Awesome.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

Funny tweet. At this time Mandalore should still be a "Warrior Clan" society, so it's not out of the question to see a few of them show up (though I don't expect it). They are probably still pretty anti-Jedi, too.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Collective said:

Bye!
The Collective
AG
I'm not proud. I love Star Wars - even didn't hate TLJ.
DrEvazanPhD
The Collective said:

I'm not proud. I love Star Wars - even didn't hate TLJ.

The last Jedi was merely the first in a string of dog**** Lucas film was preparing to unleash on us..
canadiaggie
AG

Charlie Conway said:

fig96 said:

rynning said:

Just a thought.

I guess I meant they are using a lot of locations from the original series. So probably a lot of similar design stuff and a lot less location scouting than if it were a totally new show. Even a lot of similar clothing- they aren't spending money to design how all of the house emblem works. That sort of thing.
I think on the behind the scenes, they actually did reconstruct some of the sets from scratch. The Wall in S2E1 was not the same set they'd been using for GoT.

They also expanded the Red Keep from S1 and they built tunnels for scenes shot in sewers as well. It was a really cool little featurette they did.
jokershady
AG
Charlie Conway said:

what about a kick and a stomp?
whelp….considering it was announced today that Schloss is leaving A&M to take the head coaching job with the sips and what this possibly implies with the CWS we just played…..I'd consider that a good stomp……

Acolyte….its been kinda fun watching you be a train wreck…..please don't be a train wreck tonight
Claude!
redline248 said:

Funny tweet. At this time Mandalore should still be a "Warrior Clan" society, so it's not out of the question to see a few of them show up (though I don't expect it). They are probably still pretty anti-Jedi, too.
Likewise.
CheeseSndwch
What are the chances we don't see the Jedi/Sith rumble in tonight's episode?
TCTTS
AG
We already know we do. I posted this a few days ago...

Vince Blake
Ok…bit of a redeeming episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Everybody's dead
CheeseSndwch
That episode felt egregiously short.
The Porkchop Express
AG
My fellow old school Star Wars nerds unite at the introduction of CORTOSIS ORE into the mofo canon!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Vince Blake said:

Ok…bit of a redeeming episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

That episode felt egregiously short.

Episodes 4-5 needed to be a single episode.
The Porkchop Express
AG
For the non comic/novel/PC-era video game people, the reason the Jedi sabers kept shorting out is because of an EU metal called cortosis ore that can temporarily interrupt the flow of a lightsaber.

It's a great tip of the cap to Darth Bane putting them in the show, because before he was a Sith, he was a slave mining cortosis ore.

It's also been in both KOTOR games and a major plot point in Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn game, and one of the best video games/storylines of the whole franchise.

More info: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cortosis/Legends
FL_Ag1998
AG

For the non comic/novel/PC-era video game people, the reason the Jedi sabers kept shorting out is because of an EU metal called cortosis ore that can temporarily interrupt the flow of a lightsaber.

It's a great tip of the cap to Darth Bane putting them in the show, because before he was a Sith, he was a slave mining cortosis ore.

It's also been in both KOTOR games and a major plot point in Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn game, and one of the best video games/storylines of the whole franchise.

More info: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cortosis/Legends

Thanks, sincerely, you just answered my son's question about how he was able to do that to their sabers.
Madmarttigan
AG
Darth Jason reveal a little too on the nose but… holy **** thought that was a shocking episode.

I never in a million years thought they were going to axe every single person besides Sol. I was shocked at the padawan and then Yord. Holy *****

Shame on them for the setup but that was pretty wild and maybe redeeming the whole series.
Formerly tv1113
FL_Ag1998
AG
And yes, that was a good episode despite what some Youtubers will claim in order to continue their rants. I think if you trim down episodes 1-3 to the barebones compelling stuff, then combine episodes 4 & 5 you end up with a good story.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.