***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,600 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

jokershady said:

Ummmmmm….page 1269 Porkchop…..posted by you.

Looks like movie theaters will screen the first 2 episodes of The Acolyte on the night of June 3, and even better news, based on the run time here, the first 2 episodes total 2 hours.

https://www.cinemark.com/movies/star-wars-the-acolyte-episodes-1-2

Well now you know to never trust that idiot.
lol

To be fair I also remember seeing it on at least one social media post either on Texags or somewhere else but that'll be difficult to find….
Thunderstruck xx
30-40 minutes per episode is pretty pathetic. Already off to a bad start with this show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

jokershady said:

Ummmmmm….page 1269 Porkchop…..posted by you.

Looks like movie theaters will screen the first 2 episodes of The Acolyte on the night of June 3, and even better news, based on the run time here, the first 2 episodes total 2 hours.

https://www.cinemark.com/movies/star-wars-the-acolyte-episodes-1-2

Well now you know to never trust that idiot.

FL_Ag1998
AG
Everybody does realize that old hour long dramas, with commercials, were only about 40 mins of actual show once you removed the commercials, right? And sitcoms without commercials were about 20 mins per episode.

Lol.
Thunderstruck xx
FL_Ag1998 said:

Everybody does realize that old hour long dramas, with commercials, were only about 40 mins of actual show once you removed the commercials, right? And sitcoms without commercials were about 20 mins per episode.

Lol.

But they had like 20+ episode seasons, not 6 to 8 episodes like we see with most streaming services right now.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Well, if you want to be pessimistic about everything I can't help you.

I'm enjoying looking forward to the show, with moderate hopes that its good. If not, oh well.
Madmarttigan
AG
Geez how are these shows costing so much to make these days 180 million is really high for a show. That's significantly more than GoT even which is HBOs bread and butter, and not the first season of an unknown show.

Is Disney just that bad at cost control?
TCTTS
AG
Apparently Andor is even more per episode, which is insane. Seeing as The Acolyte was developed/shot before Iger's return, hopefully it and Andor are the last of these Disney+ shows to have ridiculously exorbitant price tags.
Madmarttigan
AG
I would hate for them to finally get a Star Wars show right and then have it get cancelled because of production costs. I know that is highly unlikely with anything Star Wars related but damn that is expensive as hell.

This is one of the first (is the first?) Star Wars things on screen that may finally break away from anything Skywalker saga related so really hope it's successful.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, to clarify, I meant that I hope a potential second season is less expensive, not that it goes away completely.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Geez how are these shows costing so much to make these days 180 million is really high for a show. That's significantly more than GoT even which is HBOs bread and butter, and not the first season of an unknown show.

Is Disney just that bad at cost control?
The final season of game of thrones had a budget of $15 million per episode which translates to about $18.4 million in 2024 dollars, and that was with established sets, real-life landscapes, costumes, etc. Only the dragons were CGI the night king, other WW, and the zombies were all in costume.

The Acolyte costs about $22 million an episode. I'm assuming a large part of that budget is VFX for alien worlds, characters, ships, and enhanced fighting effects.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Apparently Andor is even more per episode, which is insane. Seeing as The Acolyte was developed/shot before Iger's return, hopefully it and Andor are the last of these Disney+ shows to have ridiculously exorbitant price tags.
I was under the impression that the reason we are getting the Acolyte now and not Andor S2 or Skeleton Crew was because the budget for Acolyte was a lot less than those other shows and that was going to help with showing profitability for Disney plus at the end of the fiscal year (september)....

Those were rumors of course but did make a little bit of sense....but now either those rumors are not true or disney plus is going to take another big hit between now and end of september....
TCTTS
AG
Anything coming out between now and September has been in development/production for years. I don't see how they could have cut costs on any of that stuff. It sounds like the mandate is basically from this point forward, in terms of new shows.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady
AG
my understanding is that the budget for a production doesnt actually hit the balance sheet until the show has been released....

because if it doesn't release then the money spent is essentially a tax write off for shows that never cross the finish line....

so it's not regarding cutting budgets at the last minute but rather when those budgets would officially hit the bottom line
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, I was on my phone and read your post wrong. My bad.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Man, who is the Wook fighting ith the blue lightsaber? I guess maybe they are just training?
The Porkchop Express
AG
New videos up with the cast and a couple of old friends.

If you're the kind of Star Wars fan who gets nervous when you witness a preponderance non-white males being in Star Wars, you should steer clear of these videos.

The Porkchop Express
AG
I'm about halfway through the Rotten Tomatoes video (26 minutes). I have no idea if any of what they are saying shows up legitimately in the show, but they are some very well spoken people who really seem to have put in some time and effort into their characters, and Amandla's knowledge of Star Wars is really impressive.
jokershady
AG
I try to stay pretty middle of the road with things and while I was pretty disappointed the originally reported episode length of the first 2 shows being 1 hour each by the great porkchop express being incorrect.....

it should be noted that the first 4 episode lengths for the first season of Andor were as follows:

41 minutes
38 minutes
40 minutes
47 minutes

this is an average of 41.5 minutes while comparted to Acolyte being 37.8 minutes....

granted.....the episode lengths did get longer throughout the series....where as the first 4 episodes averaged 41.5 minutes while the remaining 8 episodes averaged 48.6 episodes....there was also a lot going on with Andor with at least 3 different subplots (usually 4) per episode....

If Acolyte is a much tighter story with no where near as much going on as it's also 8 episodes compared to Andor's 12, then the episode length shouldn't matter all that much....
Madmarttigan
AG
My issues hasn't been 30 minute episodes, it's been 30 minute episodes where nothing happens to move the plot forward except for 3 minutes of screen time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Huge new footage in commercial.

The Porkchop Express
AG
There were quite a few new short commercials for the Acolyte on Saturday on TNT during a SW marathon.

FL_Ag1998
The Porkchop Express
AG
As a reminder, the Acolyte debuts at 8 p.m. CDT Tuesday night, not the 2 AM extremism of previous series. Although I liked the exclusivity of that for some stuff, like Luke's appearance on Mando as I've gotten older being up at 2 AM and at 530 AM has not seemed as fun. And also it's 2 episodes tomorrow night.

I still can't believe Jacksonville's own Jason Mendoza is in this thing.

jeffk
AG
A thread devoted to complaining about a show that every poster agrees to not watch would actually be pretty fun.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jeffk said:

A thread devoted to complaining about a show that every poster agrees to not watch would actually be pretty fun.
I tried to start a thread for non-watchers/non-gamers of "The Last of US' when those two populations were constantly at war with each other.
jokershady
AG
that was nuts....i was just about ready to pack it up and use that time to work on my golf game instead.....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk
AG
That crap was crazy
The Porkchop Express
AG
Hayden has embraced his son's approach to Star Wars - keep giving back and being lovely about the whole thig, no matter how much scorn a small percentage of the 'fan base' sends your way.

The best thing I've ever seen in the past 5-10 years was the shareholder video of Galaxy's Edge with the make-a-wish girl sitting on Smuggler's Run saying Anakin was her favorite Jedi and Hayden walks in and asks if he can ride it with her.

jokershady
AG
ok this sounds awesome but i can't seem to find this video anywhere on youtube....so here's two other wholesome quick shorts showing how Hayden is just such a cool dude....

The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

ok this sounds awesome but i can't seem to find this video anywhere on youtube....so here's two other wholesome quick shorts showing how Hayden is just such a cool dude....

They played it on the Disney shareholders meeting annual report back in '19 or '20. I had disney stock for a while and watched it, but I dont think it was ever in another format.

It was up there with RDJ delivering the prosthetic limb to the kid in the hotel.
The Porkchop Express
AG

If you're into the behind the scenes stuff of how a show gets made, this is a story about the design of the Jedi outfits for the show

https://www.starwars.com/news/dressing-the-acolyte-costumes-feature

And a much better explanation of Vernestra Rwoh than mine from a few days ago. She's a High Republic Qui-Gon to a degree, more interested in the will of the Force than the Jedi council.

https://www.starwars.com/news/who-is-vernestra-rwoh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.