***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

151,136 Views | 1969 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by maroon barchetta
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Acolyte premieres in 1 week on Disney+.

This thread is for the discussion of what is happening on the screen during the episodes.
If you aren't watching the show, there is zero reason to post here.
There have been some big dust-ups on other threads about the intent of the show's creator and the racial / gender makeup of the cast. Please try to keep discussion on topic. There are plenty of other places to discuss those issues if that is your goal.

A note on SPOILERS: Once an episode airs, spoilers from it are fair game, no tags needed.

From Star Wars.com

Rating:
TV-14
Release Date:
June 4, 2024
Genre:
Mystery, Science Fiction

An investigation into a shocking crime spree pits a respected Jedi Master against a dangerous warrior from his past. As more clues emerge, they travel down a dark path where sinister forces reveal all is not what it seems…

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Crossing my fingers this is good. Some related questions...are these characters new (created solely for this show) or have they been established in other Star Wars materials?

And are any of the books about the High Republic especially good and worth reading?
TCTTS
AG
Hell yeah.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Also, just FYI, the first TWO episodes premiere next week, then it's one a week after that...

06.04.24 = Episode 1
06.04.24 = Episode 2
06.11.24 = Episode 3
06.18.24 = Episode 4
06.25.24 = Episode 5
07.02.24 = Episode 6
07.09.24 = Episode 7
07.17.24 = Episode 8
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Crossing my fingers this is good. Some related questions...are these characters new (created solely for this show) or have they been established in other Star Wars materials?

And are any of the books about the High Republic especially good and worth reading?

I'm pretty sure these are all new/original characters, though I could be wrong.
AustinAg2K
Any idea if I need to be up to date on all the other SW shows on Disney+?
TCTTS
AG
One thing I've noticed multiple reviews mention is that anyone can come into this show without any prior Star Wars knowledge whatsoever. It's set roughly 100 years before The Phantom Menace, which makes it the earliest-set Star Wars anything we've seen, which means no previous setup required.
Faustus
Kelnacca, the Wookie Jedi master, is a couple of letters away from treading on thin ice.
jokershady
AG
nope....she's still Trinity.....

you can put all the white and brown robes on her all you want....might as well be skin tight leather and sunglasses with a laser sword....

still Trinity....
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
FL_Ag1998 said:

I have read the first 3-4 HR books and found them excellent, although some things appear to happen 'off screen" in a comic book series that I have not read. The villains early on are pretty fascinating as well.

There is 1 character from the HR in this series. Her name is Vernestra Rwoh and she's a Mirialan Jedi Master.

In the HR novels, she's made a Jedi Knight at age 15, and after having a Force Vision, builds a purple lightsaber that can extend into a flexible whip.

Unconfirmed if she is the "Vern" from the Ernest movies.

Although none are seen in the trailers, at the time of the High Republic, which is 100 years before this show is set, the Jedi Council already includes Yoda as one of 3 grand masters, and fellow prequel-era council members Yarael Poof - or as Tracy Morgan calls him, the guy with the crazy neck - and Oppo Rancisis, who looks like a snake monk to me. He actually does some fighting in the HR books.

No idea if any of them will be on the show, but it's hard to imagine a Yoda cameo at the least is not forthcoming considering we've seen multiple shots of the Temple.

The Porkchop Express
FL_Ag1998 said:

As a follow-up, the Jedi are both really cool and a lot more "human" in the books. Two of them have hooked up and when the girl breaks it off, the guy goes and bangs some other chick he works with. One of them has touched the dark side enough that he gets sent off on a sabbatical, another one takes a bribe at one point. And there are a few non_jedi force users as well.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Awesome, thanks for the info, excited for the show. And your second post makes me def want to check out the books.
concac
AG
Faustus said:

nm
Thunderstruck xx
Let's see if Disney has righted the Star Wars ship, or if this will be a complete **** show. I'm going in with lowered expectations.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Oh yeah, and this...

Quote:

In the HR novels, she's made a Jedi Knight at age 15, and after having a Force Vision, builds a purple lightsaber that can extend into a flexible whip.

...sounds freaking awesome.
jeffk
AG
Is "having a Force vision" a euphemism for "doing some good drugs?"
jokershady
AG
jeffk said:

Is "having a Force vision" a euphemism for "doing some good drugs?"
if only Obi-wan really knew what death sticks were capable of.....

friekin narc....
jokershady
AG
also i'm really hoping this show holds true to original reports that a lot of it was shot on location and with practical sets and not using the dang Volume.....

practical sets alone will make me at least appreciate this show even if i don't like it.....

going into it with medium expectations....mostly due to the last 3 shows (mando S3, kenobi, and ashoka) all being terrible....
The Porkchop Express
FL_Ag1998 said:

Oh yeah, and this...

Quote:

...sounds freaking awesome.

You can see it for about 2 seconds in a commercial.
FL_Ag1998
AG
jokershady said:

also i'm really hoping this show holds true to original reports that a lot of it was shot on location and with practical sets and not using the dang Volume.....

practical sets alone will make me at least appreciate this show even if i don't like it.....

going into it with medium expectations....mostly due to the last 3 shows (mando S3, kenobi, and ashoka) all being terrible....

Sorry, but Ahsoka wasn't terrible and nowhere near as bad as kenobi, bobba fett, and mando.
jokershady
AG
didn't count BoBF because that came out before Andor which was awesome....just the 3 most recent shows/seasons since Andor....

but yeah....Ashoka was terrible....this one cool moment doesn't make up for the awful plot holes and decision making in that show

The Porkchop Express
A ton of new footage from the show in this 1 minute video released today.

The Porkchop Express
Thunderstruck xx said:

Let's see if Disney has righted the Star Wars ship, or if this will be a complete **** show. I'm going in with lowered expectations.
How would you rank the previous series?
TCTTS
AG
My ranking so far...

1. Andor - Season 1
-
-
-
-
-
2. The Mandalorian - Season 1
3. The Mandalorian - Season 2
-
-
-
-
4. Ahsoka - Season 1
-
-
-
5. Obi-Wan Kenobi
-
-
6. The Mandalorian - Season 3
-
7. The Book of Boba Fett

... with everything below season two of The Mandalorian in the "terrible" category, though Ahsoka is at least the best of the terribles.

As for The Acolyte, I'm hopeful it'll be my new number two, but we shall see...
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

My ranking so far...

1. Andor - Season 1
-
-
-
-
-
2. The Mandalorian - Season 1
3. The Mandalorian - Season 2
-
-
-
-
4. Ahsoka - Season 1
-
-
-
5. Obi-Wan Kenobi
-
-
6. The Mandalorian - Season 3
-
7. The Book of Boba Fett

... with everything below season two of The Mandalorian in the "terrible" category, though Ahsoka is at least the best of the terribles.

As for The Acolyte, I'm hopeful it'll be my new number two, but we shall see...

Ehh, I'd put Ahsoka between Seasons 1 & 2 of Mando. Mando had some moments of lameness and cheesy writing from the get-go but it was the first live-action Star Wars tv show, mando himself is cool, and Grogu was cute enough so its given a lot of forgiveness by most people.

And while it would be awesome if every Star Wars tv show was on the level of Andor, let's be realistic. Not even the last three movies with Rey were on the level of Andor. I looooved Andor and raved about it to friends, but Andor was atypical for a Star Wars tv show. Kinda like Rogue 1 was atypical for a Star Wars movie.
Madmarttigan
AG
Ashoka got more and more disappointing as the season went on and was just kind of meh. I really was looking forward to this show and they just wasted so much screen time which seems to be a common theme in every Star Wars show except Andor. Horrible pointless filler.

Mandalorian is some our best star wars show moments combined with some of the worst. Still the most entertaining of all of them for me though.

Obiwan was kind of bad throughout but had a good final showdown. Also not sure it was even a show/story that needed to be told in the first place.

Book of Boba is objectively the worst.

Overall my expectations are pretty low at this point, and honestly this is sadly with almost any live action disney show at this point. Marvel/Star Wars hype are somehow at an all time low for me and its shocking.
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
Wow. Majorly contrary to what's been reported about the first 2 episodes each being an hour long….
The Porkchop Express
jokershady said:

Wow. Majorly contrary to what's been reported about the first 2 episodes each being an hour long….
Where did you see that?

The director gave the episode lengths back in March -

The Acolyte episodes will be around 30-40 minutes long, offering viewers a weekly immersive viewing experience unlike a movie divided. Showrunner Leslye Headland emphasizes the value of a weekly wait period to digest complex themes in Star Wars to facilitate discussion.

This is from Movie Web on March 20
https://movieweb.com/star-wars-acolyte-episode-runtimes-revealed/#:~:text=The%20Acolyte%20episodes%20will%20be%20around%2030%2D40%20minutes%20long,Star%20Wars%20to%20facilitate%20discussion.
jokershady
AG
On the Star Wars thread….someone posted a link and it was commented on….have to pull it up later
jokershady
AG
Ummmmmm….page 1269 Porkchop…..posted by you.

The Porkchop Express said:

Looks like movie theaters will screen the first 2 episodes of The Acolyte on the night of June 3, and even better news, based on the run time here, the first 2 episodes total 2 hours.

https://www.cinemark.com/movies/star-wars-the-acolyte-episodes-1-2
The Porkchop Express
jokershady said:

Ummmmmm….page 1269 Porkchop…..posted by you.

The Porkchop Express said:

Looks like movie theaters will screen the first 2 episodes of The Acolyte on the night of June 3, and even better news, based on the run time here, the first 2 episodes total 2 hours.

https://www.cinemark.com/movies/star-wars-the-acolyte-episodes-1-2

Well now you know to never trust that idiot.
TexAg2001
AG
Am I the only one who didn't know about this show until just a few days ago? I generally enjoy the Star Wars franchise, but don't follow it very closely. I didn't see an ad for this until 2 days ago.

I'm hopeful this will be good, but I tend to like the non-Jedi focused content better (Andor, Rogue One, Mandalorian, etc).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.