*** Masters of the Air ***

97,024 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To go with this episode, Black Week article from WW2 Museum:
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/black-week-darkest-days-us-army-air-forces

How long did ground crews typically have to make repairs and turnaround damaged B-17s before the next mission?
wangus12
AG
Probably depended on the damage. Flak/bullet holes could be patched very very quickly. They'd use anything they could find, including C-Ration cans.

Larger damage would take time and those bombers were out of action till they were repaired. If it was too far gone, it became a donor to other planes
wangus12
AG
Cool interview. Rosie Rosenthal's grandson was an actor in the series.

JABQ04
AG
I saw heard/that. Kind of feel they missed a chance by not having him play his grandfather.
wangus12
AG
This is his first real acting gig (I think he's done some voice acting) so I can understand not giving him a major role.
AgsMnn
AG
New episode is up.
wangus12
AG
Man that was a tough one
AgsMnn
AG
Yes it was.
aTmAg
AG
So of all the crew from Episode 1, that is everybody except Croz out of commission, right?

I never thought I would say this, but if this show keeps up, it's going to be better than BoB in my book. Not a single down or slow episode yet. Unbelievable.
jwoodmd

Think a lot of future episodes will contain material of those original cast that were shot down in evading capture, being captured, and some of life in POW camps
Sazerac
AG
Stop
TH36
First episode where I've needed the ole Kleenex.

I see why my Moms great Uncle supposedly lived in the bottle from the time he got back from the war till the time he died.
schmendeler
AG
Looking at the 100bg website, it looks like my grandfather flew on Royal Flush as a substitute crew later on. I thought the name sounded familiar.
Hey Nav
AG
Seems like a good time for a quote from Stephen Ambrose's "The Wild Blue" . Applicable sentences are in the middle paragraph on the page.

My compliments to all the Navigators that led the way about 4 decades before my time.

Trying to research how they did their jobs without a ground mapping radar - and how the British Lancasters did the same at night …
BBRex
AG
If I remember correctly, the Brits had special navigation squadrons who would fly in ahead of the main bombers and drop flares or incendiaries to mark the location. The Germans figured out that they could light fires away from targets and cause some crews to drop bombs in the wrong area.
aTmAg
AG
Sazerac said:

Stop

Stop what?
TH36
Do any of you know where I can find military records for free? Everything I've found googling is all a pay site.

This show has peeked my interest in learning more about my Great Great Uncle and his time over there. I know he made it 25 missions in a B-25 (I believe) and came home.
aTmAg
AG
I'm curious about the technique used by that last pilot. Did that really happen? I assume it's because the plane was vulnerable from the front and that it was a lot easier to kill an enemy fighter when it's delta V was small and you can turn your rear guns while he has to turn his entire plane.
JABQ04
AG
The "We Have Ways of Making you Talk" just did an 8 part series on the 8th AF. They mentioned that there was an early type of ground radar H2X used by Americans and another version by the Brits by late 1943. Interesting stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2X

JABQ04
AG
Sign up for the free trial of fold 3 then cancel it before your week is done. Great site.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Probably the best episode to date. I loved how they showed more of "the whole process" leading up to and including the mission. A little bit of the ground crew and command, them waiting around and praying for their boys to return. My only complaint was the use of slow motion. I get what they were trying to accomplish but just felt cheesy and not in line with the rest of the tone of the episode. Outside of that, fantastic but heart wrenching episode
TH36
JABQ04 said:

Sign up for the free trial of fold 3 then cancel it before your week is done. Great site.

Thanks! Found some info on there!
AgNav93
AG
Hey Nav said:

Seems like a good time for a quote from Stephen Ambrose's "The Wild Blue" . Applicable sentences are in the middle paragraph on the page.

My compliments to all the Navigators that led the way about 4 decades before my time.

Trying to research how they did their jobs without a ground mapping radar - and how the British Lancasters did the same at night …

Dead reckoning. They still taught it when I went through nav school in 1996. I hated the nav log and the dreaded 6 minute DR, alter heading.
wangus12
AG
I will say, this episode was the first one that they added something that didn't happen, at least on this particular mission. Lt. "Bubbles" Payne didn't fly on the mission to Munster. He did get killed on a mission with a crew in April 1944. I think they just moved this around to add to the emotional impact and the fact that the show is only 9 episodes.
BBRex
AG
That reminds me of the astrodome, the bubble in the aircraft that allows for celestial navigation. The navigator could take readings and determine location the same way they do on ships.

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-boeing-b-17-flying-fortress-navigator-astrodome?variant=40617705046085
KCup17
AG
It's staggering when you think that roughly 71% of American bomber crews would become casualties of war.
Hey Nav
AG
Thanks for that link about the H2X. It would be incredibly non-precision. It could be pretty helpful to identify high contrast markers such as a coastline or big lake. A large city would just be a round blob.

My first operational experience was with the AN/APN 59, which was in most C-130s built in the early 60s. It was helpful with thunderstorm avoidance (but nothing like a modern color radar).
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Dead reckoning. They still taught it when I went through nav school in 1996. I hated the nav log and the dreaded 6 minute DR, alter heading.
Trying not to derail the thread, folks, but I find this topic to be of much interest. I knew at least one B-17 Navigator - who has since passed on into the Wild Blue Yonder, and hopefully is labeled a "select lead" and "tailwind" Nav.

I'm a Class of '80, so I went through UNT at Mather. I reckon you went elsewhere - and they had quit teaching celestial by then.

When you're on a plane headed 10 hours into nothing but blue Pacific waters, and in the days before INS or GPS - just DR and a sextant, the rest of the crew treated you like a Golden God, at least until they got close to a NavAid that locked on :-)

Am not familiar with your "the dreaded 6 minute DR , alter heading" comment.

To BBRex - cel is not very practical over land on a short route into Germany. It's pretty much impossible for a wingman. You need a very level aircraft with no heading or airspeed changes for accurate readings. In daytime, you'd only get one line of position from the Sun, and if you were lucky, another line from the Moon, hopefully at a much different angle than the Sun.
KCup17
AG
Don't want to continue to derail, but there is a great book by the same name. It's about the pilots who flew the P-38 mission to intercept Yamamoto.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Thought I might share some pictures I took of a B17 that visited Easterwood a few years back. Sadly, this plane crashed just a few years later. It sure was cool though to go inside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-O-Nine

wangus12
AG
I'm jealous. Buddy of mine got to go up in one several years ago. Makes me wonder what they did with the sets they built to film this show. I believe they built 2 of their own for filming.

Would be great to see those get donated to a museum somewhere to allow folks to get inside the ships
Cliff.Booth
Another brilliant episode. I'm also of the leaning that this is gonna be right up there with BoB for me. So well executed. Not a lot of shows have me that tensed up and feeling punched in the gut afterward. I'd seriously give anything if I could be watching each of these in an actual theater.
JABQ04
AG
Watched this episode twice last night. Letting my 12 y/o son watch them so I screen them (really just for sex and nudity). This is a terrific series. I just wish I went in to it not knowing anything about the 8th AF and the air war over Germany like I did going in blind with the BoB story.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That was another great episode. They have done an excellent job of portraying the brutality of this facet of the war (I expected nothing less, given BoB and The Pacific).

The main title musical theme in this series is really starting to grow on me., although I do find it odd how they choose to place the main titles with a long pre-title sequence. That's a minor gripe.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
The missions in this series are so very well done. Loved watching that mini-dogfight when the bomber took down those German planes. The slow-mo scene was awesome.

looks like next episode we see one of the parachuters perspectives of coming across a concentration camp? I'm not ready for that if so

also, am I the only one who doesn't think Buck is dead?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.