*** Masters of the Air ***

96,766 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
kwammer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this week was the first episode I was really impressed with, from a character perspective. the flying/bombing scenes have been good, but the development of the characters has been sorely lacking.

here's to hoping it continues
wangus12
AG
They are definitely pulling a ton from his book
Joan Wilder
AG
I did have to laugh at how everyone in the POW camp was disheveled, dirty, their jackets torn…and Austin Butler looked like he was straight from costuming and hair/makeup.
G Martin 87
AG
Joan Wilder said:

I did have to laugh at how everyone in the POW camp was disheveled, dirty, their jackets torn…and Austin Butler looked like he was straight from costuming and hair/makeup.

easttexasaggie04
AG
I figured I was the only one. I'm really liking this show but Austin Butler annoyed me quite a bit at first. He tries to hard to be McDreamy IMO.
aTmAg
AG
I think the show is great. Right up there with BoB. But that is despite Austin Butler. Certainly not because of him.
agracer
AG
G Martin 87 said:

The WWII Museum has a podcast series about the making of the show. Here's the link to the first show.

https://sites.libsyn.com/502943/making-masters-of-the-air-a-new-podcast-from-the-national-wwii-museum

Last year, the museum's regular podcast featured an interview with "Lucky" Luckadoo and Donald Miller. Highly recommended!

https://overcast.fm/+5c17APE08
In Ep 3 or 4, of the podcast, they discuss the getting back into the plane and how hard it was for some of the flyers.

One guy they recounted was a tail gunner and the tail of the plane was separated from the plane (collision I think) and he could not get out. He fell, inside the tail of the plane, 20,000 feet and lived.

He returned to England and then was put back on a crew and had to get back in the tail gunner position of another plane and keep flying!

Also, I know I'm not the only one but when they took the prisoners off the train to walk thru the town that had just been bombed I was all "this is not going to end well".
wangus12
AG
agracer said:

G Martin 87 said:

The WWII Museum has a podcast series about the making of the show. Here's the link to the first show.

https://sites.libsyn.com/502943/making-masters-of-the-air-a-new-podcast-from-the-national-wwii-museum

Last year, the museum's regular podcast featured an interview with "Lucky" Luckadoo and Donald Miller. Highly recommended!

https://overcast.fm/+5c17APE08
In Ep 3 or 4, of the podcast, they discuss the getting back into the plane and how hard it was for some of the flyers.

One guy they recounted was a tail gunner and the tail of the plane was separated from the plane (collision I think) and he could not get out. He fell, inside the tail of the plane, 20,000 feet and lived.

He returned to England and then was put back on a crew and had to get back in the tail gunner position of another plane and keep flying!

Also, I know I'm not the only one but when they took the prisoners off the train to walk thru the town that had just been bombed I was all "this is not going to end well".
Based on true events, although they didn't happen to Egan.

Rsselsheim massacre
Cliff.Booth
Don't get the dislike of Butler's acting. His character is cool, calm, and collected. He projects the confidence bordering on arrogance that some people disliked about pilots. There were real guys who looked and carried themselves like he does in the show. I like that the personalities of the characters vary a great deal, as they did in reality among these crews.

PatAg
AG
If anyone that gave up after 1-2 episodes is still checking this thread, I think you should start watching again.
BassCowboy33
PatAg said:

If anyone that gave up after 1-2 episodes is still checking this thread, I think you should start watching again.

If you're the kind of person who gives up on a 10 episode miniseries after one or two episodes, you're missing out on a lot of good television.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I figured I was the only one. I'm really liking this show but Austin Butler annoyed me quite a bit at first. He tries to hard to be McDreamy IMO.

I'm not sure he can help that. And I say that as a straight biological male.
rynning
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I'm not sure he can help that. And I say that as a straight biological male.
I'm not sure that I would feel the same way if he was an unknown before this show. That, and Elvis joined the army.
aTmAg
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Don't get the dislike of Butler's acting. His character is cool, calm, and collected. He projects the confidence bordering on arrogance that some people disliked about pilots. There were real guys who looked and carried themselves like he does in the show. I like that the personalities of the characters vary a great deal, as they did in reality among these crews.
I think he projects a lack of confidence and timidity that is anything but arrogance. The only scene where I felt otherwise is when he refused to bail out on episode 3. But that was more script than his delivery.
Falcon74
AG
I gave up after 1 episode but kept watching through ep 5 when my Apple sub ran out for the month. Will wait it out until another good show comes back. Might revisit but I don't have any connection with the characters. Great production as always from a SS and TH but doesn't live up to The Pacific, which was a big step down from BOB.
AgLA06
AG
aTmAg said:

Cliff.Booth said:

I think he projects a lack of confidence and timidity that is anything but arrogance. The only scene where I felt otherwise is when he refused to bail out on episode 3. But that was more script than his delivery.
That's because this day and age if a person isn't in your face type A, it's seen as weakness. In reality it's often false bravado.

Except to those who put their lives on the line and respect the hell out of quiet confidence that never blinks when it matters.
aTmAg
AG
AgLA06 said:

aTmAg said:

Cliff.Booth said:

That's because this day and age if a person isn't in your face type A, it's seen as weakness. In reality it's often false bravado.

Except to those who put their lives on the line and respect the hell out of quiet confidence that never blinks when it matters.
I don't think it's that complicated. He's not playing a super "nuanced" character or any of that nonsense. No other good leader portrayed in the BoB, Pacific, MoA universe have this problem. None of them had to have timidity excused as "quiet confidence". When leaders came off as weak it was on purpose (like Normal Dike).

I think its simply because he had a damn hard time not playing this role as Elvis. He was Elvis for a year or something, and had a hard time getting that out of him. Apparently there was enough concern, that they made him go to a vocal coach. I think this is him trying his best, but falling a little flat.

The show is still damned good. On par (so far) with BoB and well above Pacific.
TresPuertas
AG
yup. think of the dude who played Spiers. he didn't have a ton of lines but just exuded badass leader.
AJ02
AG
I never saw "Elvis". Is that perhaps why I don't seem to have as big an issue with Butler as others do?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I never saw Elvis, but not a big fan of Butler. I don't think his performance really detracts from the show at all but I would've liked to have seen a little more about why he's respected. They haven't really delved very deep into his character.
PatAg
AG
aTmAg said:

AgLA06 said:

aTmAg said:

Cliff.Booth said:

I don't think it's that complicated. He's not playing a super "nuanced" character or any of that nonsense. No other good leader portrayed in the BoB, Pacific, MoA universe have this problem. None of them had to have timidity excused as "quiet confidence". When leaders came off as weak it was on purpose (like Normal Dike).

I think its simply because he had a damn hard time not playing this role as Elvis. He was Elvis for a year or something, and had a hard time getting that out of him. Apparently there was enough concern, that they made him go to a vocal coach. I think this is him trying his best, but falling a little flat.

He had that scene in the bar where they were talking with the English guys, and he was the the one that wanted to fight them.
Needed a little more of that, but I think the directors were wanting that "cool, calm, reserved" archetype, where nothing ruffles his feathers.
PatAg
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I never saw Elvis, but not a big fan of Butler. I don't think his performance really detracts from the show at all but I would've liked to have seen a little more about why he's respected. They haven't really delved very deep into his character.
I think they should have given us at least 15-20 minutes of the 2 Bucks together in boot camp or flight school, whatever it was they mentioned where they met.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

aTmAg said:

AgLA06 said:

aTmAg said:

Cliff.Booth said:

He had that scene in the bar where they were talking with the English guys, and he was the the one that wanted to fight them.
Needed a little more of that, but I think the directors were wanting that "cool, calm, reserved" archetype, where nothing ruffles his feathers.
See, I think Keoghan (Biddick) shines in that scene (and episode in general). Not Butler. I don't have the scene on hand, but I think Butler basically just stands up, doesn't he? It's like Butler thinks he should be mad, but really isn't. If his feathers weren't ruffled, then why would he stand up at all?
AgLA06
AG
He shows authority and pushes Major Eagen back down in his seat and says the loud mouth Britt is his. Keoghan politely asks him to let him do it. He'd owe the Major one.

Just like he does the same when Eagen gets up to sing and ruin the moment in the O Club after the successful Uboat pen mission.

Or in episode one when he calmly lands in a bad crosswind that scares his crew. And then calls off a following Fort.

Or when he calmy suggested that the group fall back to protect Keoghan's fort even though everyone knows that makes them all vulnerable and no one wants to.

They all default to him because they respect him and his quiet confidence. That's the role he's playing.

I'd suggest lowering the shaded glasses and re-watch the episodes again. He leads in just about every episode.
TXTransplant
Joan Wilder said:

Just watched the episode, and this is 100% true, and my initial reaction was that it was so out of place.

But now I'm wondering if it was intentional. The podcast keeps talking about how the story is being told from the airmen's perspectives. Maybe Egan was so happy to see him that to Egan he looked sort of angelic and perfect.

Still seems a little off, but with all the attention to detail, I can't think this image was just some huge oversight in continuity.
JABQ04
AG
Joan Wilder said:

I'll say that looking the part of a leader is important. Similar to Winters shaving in Bastogne in BoB, breaking the ice in his helmet to shave with freezing water because that's the standard, while Nixon and the rest of the company don't shave. Clevan had been a POW for awhile, Germany isn't getting completely ***** slapped yet buy this point so he'd have access to latrine facilities and camp laundry services (whether provided or prison run). I'm unsure of Clevan exact role in the camp, but as a Major I would assume he would look the part of a field grade officer as much as possible.

aTmAg
AG
AgLA06 said:

He shows authority and pushes Major Eagen back down in his seat and says the loud mouth Britt is his. Keoghan politely asks him to let him do it. He'd owe the Major one.

Just like he does the same when Eagen gets up to sing and ruin the moment in the O Club after the successful Uboat pen mission.

Or in episode one when he calmly lands in a bad crosswind that scares his crew. And then calls off a following Fort.

Or when he calmy suggested that the group fall back to protect Keoghan's fort even though everyone knows that makes them all vulnerable and no one wants to.

They all default to him because they respect him and his quiet confidence. That's the role he's playing.

I'd suggest lowering the shaded glasses and re-watch the episodes again. He leads in just about every episode.
And you are conflating the real Gale Cleven's words and actions with Austin Butler's delivery.

I'm not saying that the real Gale Cleven wasn't a leader. Obviously he was. This character is based off of him, and so the things he says and does is indeed "leadery". However, Austin Butler delivers his lines in a monotone quiet voice that is not "quiet confidence" but "just plain bad".

It would be like if Patton was played by Michael Cera instead of George C. Scott. He could say the exact same lines as George C. Scott and ride in the front of armies on top of tanks like the real Patton, but it would still be pathetically weak voice that takes the viewer out of the moment.

Now if there is evidence of the real Gale Cleven being meek like Butler, then I'd take all of this back. But I doubt that exists (somebody would have said so by now). If it did exist, then I would expect a line in the show that addressed it. Like have another respected pilot say "he's quiet, but he'll keep you alive." or something like that.

I think what happened is pretty simple: that Hanks liked him as Elvis and hired him for this show. But they were justifiably concerned that he would act it as Elvis so they got him a vocal coach. And that Butler's way to refrain from Elvising this role is by talking quiet and slow. It makes sense that they would hire Butler, despite these issues. They figured Butler would be a star, but they could still hire him at a cheap price for this show because Elvis hadn't aired yet.
TXTransplant
We just watched BOB. Started it in Jan and intentionally finished it before starting this series. I also listened to the 20th anniversary podcast.

My take-away is that they are taking a lot more liberties with the storytelling in MOTA.

BOB was so unique and special because most of those guys were still alive when it was produced and aired. If you listen to that podcast, Hanks, Orloff, and the actors involved really did not want to disappoint those guys. There was a reverence given to their stories that really comes through.

One of the biggest liberties taken in BOB was the episode that featured the medic. Very little was said of him in Ambrose's book, and he had passed away many years earlier. His family was consulted, but the situation sort of allowed them to tell his story however they wanted (although, I think it was done in a way that was very believable).

In MOTA, all of those guys are pretty much dead. Egan died in 1961. Watching the latest episode last night, I don't think there is any evidence that the sequence of events that occurred after Egan parachuted into Germany up to the point he arrived at Stalag Luft III are what actually happened to him.

The Russelsheim Massacre did happen, but not until August 1944. I kind of wish they hadn't even made reference to this in the show, since the timeline is so off. I think the story would have been more believable if they had left out that detail (so nerds like us couldn't fact check it).

I see why they include it, however. While BOB felt more like a tribute specifically to Dick Winters and the original Toccoa men, MOTA feels almost like a tribute to the thousands of airmen who simply disappeared with no one besides their immediate colleagues and families knowing their names and faces. The show even makes reference to this by having characters talk about how those who don't come back just disappear. Whether they died in a crash or were captured, killed, and buried in an unmarked grave - there are so many details that are lost because of how the war was being fought at that time.

So, even though the main characters are based on real life people, I feel like the story is trying to capture all of the men and stories that can't possibly be told, both because of their sheer numbers and because nobody actually knows the stories. It feels like the characters in MOTA are an amalgamation of thousands of men.

wangus12
AG
JABQ04 said:

Joan Wilder said:

I'll say that looking the part of a leader is important. Similar to Winters shaving in Bastogne in BoB, breaking the ice in his helmet to shave with freezing water because that's the standard, while Nixon and the rest of the company don't shave. Clevan had been a POW for awhile, Germany isn't getting completely ***** slapped yet buy this point so he'd have access to latrine facilities and camp laundry services (whether provided or prison run). I'm unsure of Clevan exact role in the camp, but as a Major I would assume he would look the part of a field grade officer as much as possible.

At most it was only a week or 2 apart. Clevan was shot down on October 8th, 1943 and was immediately apprehended once he landed. Egan was shot down 2 days later on October 10th, 1943. Egan evaded capture for a few days, was captured, escaped for another few days and was then captured again. The Reel History guy said they were actually at the same Dulag Luft interrogation center and only a few cells away from each other (they didn't know it) for an overlapping period of time.

There are several men in the crowd that are still clean shaven
JABQ04
AG
Good catch on the timeline, wasn't firing on all cylinders this morning. I'd still maintain as a professional he'd want to keep that appearance.
AgLA06
AG
The one thing about the Germans and specifically the German commandant of this camp was he treated officer POWs quite well. In exchange for them keeping control over the men in the camp. It wouldn't be far fetched for the field officers to be cleaned up and have a nice appearance. They even let red cross packages and neutral third parties inspect the camp. The final shot where it pans out and you see how big it was explains why.

All that changed after the "great escape" that took place later in this camp.
TXTransplant
I've been reading the same things. I also read that the guards at the POW camp were members of the Luftwaffe, so it was "like guarding like", and the Germans at least had some understanding (maybe even some form of empathy) for their prisoners. And that they tended to give higher ranking officers more privileges.

What I find absolutely incredulous is that there were even POW camps. There is a part of me that wonders why they weren't all killed/executed at capture or after initial interrogation. I know the Germans weren't as brutal as the Japanese, but considering how they systematically executed millions of civilians (both in and outside of concentration camps), it's amazing to me that so many POWs survived.

I know the Geneva Convention protected POWs, but it's not like Hitler and his German loyalists were an ethical group of people.

There are so many stories to tell about this era of history, that I think I could probably do nothing but read and watch shows about this topic. It is almost unbelievable and too much for my brain to comprehend.

JABQ04
AG
Interesting thing I heard, was your branch was where you were sent to POW camp, at least initially. Not sure about later when the war when the German infrastructure was falling apart. Meaning, fliers were imprisoned by the Luftwaffe and Soldiers held in camps ran by the Wehrmacht.
wangus12
AG
I think I've said it before on this thread, but my great uncle was captured during the Battle of the Bulge and finished the war bouncing from POW camp to camp on the Eastern side of Germany. His experience was that the regular German military had respect for most Western countries POWs. Other than being freezing cold and starving, there was at least some respect between the soldiers. Said the only time he was really scared of execution was right when his unit was captured. They were initially roughed up, but once at the camps you could relax a little. The SS *******s were a whole other story in terms of how you were treated based on what he'd heard.
TXTransplant
Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how much I learn when I get obsessed and go down these rabbit holes.

I think the difference between the SS and the rest of the German military is a point that most (including me) didn't realize. I know when I think about German military during WWII, I automatically think SS, probably because of their role in the Holocaust.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.