*** Masters of the Air ***

96,735 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You aren't alone in that thought. He's too big a character in this series for his death to happen off screen.
concac
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

The missions in this series are so very well done. Loved watching that mini-dogfight when the bomber took down those German planes. The slow-mo scene was awesome.

looks like next episode we see one of the parachuters perspectives of coming across a concentration camp? I'm not ready for that if so

also, am I the only one who doesn't think Buck is dead?

I think the four parachutes they saw were Buck and his crew.
arrow
AG
Just finished ep5. Great show. We need more than 4 more.
JayHowdy!
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

That was another great episode. They have done an excellent job of portraying the brutality of this facet of the war (I expected nothing less, given BoB and The Pacific).

The main title musical theme in this series is really starting to grow on me., although I do find it odd how they choose to place the main titles with a long pre-title sequence. That's a minor gripe.

You can thank Blake Neely from the small town of Paris, Texas. He wrote and conducted the musical score.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Unemployed said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

The missions in this series are so very well done. Loved watching that mini-dogfight when the bomber took down those German planes. The slow-mo scene was awesome.

looks like next episode we see one of the parachuters perspectives of coming across a concentration camp? I'm not ready for that if so

Buck survives the war.
Cliff.Booth
I was also caught off guard by the unexpected slo-mo sequence in Ep 5 and cringed as a knee-jerk reaction since it has been so overused in garbage Michael Bayesque war films and the crap Russian productions, but upon further reflection I know that they are deliberately pulling from a few works of source material and in numerous books/interviews from WWII pilots they do mention these intense moments when time slows to a crawl and they can make out the expressions of fear on the faces of passing enemy pilots. It was an experience many of them had, and it was done very well in that respect for Ep 5...it just reminded me of so many other instances from war movies of the last 15 years where for no reason we get a slo-mo tank shell blasting out of its barrel and spiraling through a window or some sh like that.
aTmAg
AG
I did a little research on the 100th, and I have to comment on one of the badasses. I'll mark it with spoilers, because this might spoil future episodes:

That Rosenthal dude was amazing. He was a lawyer before the war and signed up after Pearl Harbor. The incident that they showed in this week's episode where he maneuvered his plane in a one-v-many fight against the Germans was absolutely true. The guy ended up getting shot down twice, but got back into service both times. On one of them, he was pulled out of the plane unconscious and severely injured. One the other, he continued the mission while the plane was on fire to bomb the target and only bailed out after everybody else got out first. Then the plane exploded in mid air. He not only served his 25 missions, but extended his tour and ended up flying 52 freaking missions total. After the war he served as a lawyer on the Nuremberg trials.

I really hope they focus more episodes on him.
AgNav93
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Dead reckoning. They still taught it when I went through nav school in 1996. I hated the nav log and the dreaded 6 minute DR, alter heading.
Trying not to derail the thread, folks, but I find this topic to be of much interest. I knew at least one B-17 Navigator - who has since passed on into the Wild Blue Yonder, and hopefully is labeled a "select lead" and "tailwind" Nav.

I'm a Class of '80, so I went through UNT at Mather. I reckon you went elsewhere - and they had quit teaching celestial by then.

When you're on a plane headed 10 hours into nothing but blue Pacific waters, and in the days before INS or GPS - just DR and a sextant, the rest of the crew treated you like a Golden God, at least until they got close to a NavAid that locked on :-)

Am not familiar with your "the dreaded 6 minute DR , alter heading" comment.

To BBRex - cel is not very practical over land on a short route into Germany. It's pretty much impossible for a wingman. You need a very level aircraft with no heading or airspeed changes for accurate readings. In daytime, you'd only get one line of position from the Sun, and if you were lucky, another line from the Moon, hopefully at a much different angle than the Sun.
I went to UNT at Randolph. We still did celestial. It was also required for a check ride in the E-3 and we were required to shoot cel any time we crossed the Atlantic or Pacific. It was not by the time I got to RC-135s.
BassCowboy33
AgNav93 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

Dead reckoning. They still taught it when I went through nav school in 1996. I hated the nav log and the dreaded 6 minute DR, alter heading.
Trying not to derail the thread, folks, but I find this topic to be of much interest. I knew at least one B-17 Navigator - who has since passed on into the Wild Blue Yonder, and hopefully is labeled a "select lead" and "tailwind" Nav.

I'm a Class of '80, so I went through UNT at Mather. I reckon you went elsewhere - and they had quit teaching celestial by then.

When you're on a plane headed 10 hours into nothing but blue Pacific waters, and in the days before INS or GPS - just DR and a sextant, the rest of the crew treated you like a Golden God, at least until they got close to a NavAid that locked on :-)

To BBRex - cel is not very practical over land on a short route into Germany. It's pretty much impossible for a wingman. You need a very level aircraft with no heading or airspeed changes for accurate readings. In daytime, you'd only get one line of position from the Sun, and if you were lucky, another line from the Moon, hopefully at a much different angle than the Sun.
I went to UNT at Randolph. We still did celestial. It was also required for a check ride in the E-3 and we were required to shoot cel any time we crossed the Atlantic or Pacific. It was not by the time I got to RC-135s.
While not a pilot, I learned Cel Nav as a mariner. We did six-minute dead reckonings because it's 1/10 an hour. You take a DR every 6 minutes and math at least three DRs to a fixed position along the same route. You then make the best guess as to what point the turn is at based on speed and course.

Not sure if it's the same in the air, I imagine there are some differences. The margin for error on boats is usually much larger, because we're dealing with a slower speed.
G Martin 87
AG
TH36 said:

JABQ04 said:

Sign up for the free trial of fold 3 then cancel it before your week is done. Great site.

Thanks! Found some info on there!
I believe the WWII Museum in NO also provides research assistance. The National Naval Aviation Museum on Pensacola NAS is a good resource for Navy/Marines/CG.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm loving this show.
MAROON
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

Unemployed said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Buck survives the war.
Exactly. The main characters are real people. Pretty easy to ascertain what happened to them.

Great show.
AgNav93
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

AgNav93 said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

While not a pilot, I learned Cel Nav as a mariner. We did six-minute dead reckonings because it's 1/10 an hour. You take a DR every 6 minutes and math at least three DRs to a fixed position along the same route. You then make the best guess as to what point the turn is at based on speed and course.

Not sure if it's the same in the air, I imagine there are some differences. The margin for error on boats is usually much larger, because we're dealing with a slower speed.
The 6 minute rule: At a ground speed of 400 Knots you will travel 40nms in 6 minutes. You would throw your DR out 40 nms along your current averaged heading or Track. From that DR you would measure a new heading (Alter Heading) back to centerline (flight planned course). At the DR time you call the new heading back to the pilot. You also have to compute a time back to centerline, throw a DR for that time and call it the pilot when returned to centerline. Oh, and don't forget to "kill the drift."
malenurse
AG
They just about have to considering the losses
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
AgLA06
AG
malenurse said:

They just about have to considering the losses
Yep. I don't think anyone outside of command staff is left from the original group on the show.
agracer
AG
KCup17 said:

You aren't alone in that thought. He's too big a character in this series for his death to happen off screen.
I thought about that as well but then wondered if they weren't trying to give the viewers the perspective of the men who flew the missions. They come home and their best friend is gone and they have no clue what happened to them.
jwoodmd
agracer said:

KCup17 said:

I thought about that as well but then wondered if they weren't trying to give the viewers the perspective of the men who flew the missions. They come home and their best friend is gone and they have no clue what happened to them.
I still stand behind that they will show some of what life as a POW was like. There were so many flyers that spent so much time in POW camps they likely won't just ignore it. They are already showing what downed flyers had to do to try to escape capture. Anyway, I'm not putting it as spoiler as it isn't known but just conjecture.
AgLA06
AG
The previews showed what looked like scenes from the stalags.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
AgLA06 said:

The previews showed what looked like scenes from the stalags.
Yeah, the guy climbing the flag pole with a US flag is definitely in a camp.
jenn96
AG
jwoodmd said:

agracer said:

KCup17 said:

I still stand behind that they will show some of what life as a POW was like. There were so many flyers that spent so much time in POW camps they likely won't just ignore it. They are already showing what downed flyers had to do to try to escape capture. Anyway, I'm not putting it as spoiler as it isn't known but just conjecture.

I hope you're right (I didn't read the spoilers, I know some but not all of the history and want to experience it through the show where I can). The POW experience was as much a part of what those squadrons went through as the bombing campaigns and showing that makes both historical and storytelling sense.
Gigem314
AG
The POW experiences were a significant part of the book, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go into detail. That could be the "Bastogne" of this series.
agracer
AG
Gigem314 said:

The POW experiences were a significant part of the book, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go into detail. That could be the "Bastogne" of this series.

Remember reading or hearing an interview with a WW2 bomber crew who spent time in POW camp in Germany.

He said when he got home, the hardest thing to get used to was the availability of food b/c they only got fed a few times a day, it wasn't good and they were always hungry. He followed that up with a story of the first time his wife served boiled cabbage and he just about lost his mind and broke down in tears. Cabbage was part of or all they got just about every meal while he was a POW and he couldn't stand the taste let alone the smell of cabbage.

She of course had no idea, but she never served it, or any German food again.
MAROON
AG
life without sausage or schnitzel (chicken fried steak)!

Lord take me now!
jwoodmd
MAROON said:

life without sausage or schnitzel (chicken fried steak)!

Lord take me now!
You think the POWs were getting sausage and schnitzel?!
Claude!
agracer said:

KCup17 said:

The dead man in Yossarian's tent
MAROON
AG
Quote:

TXTransplant
agracer said:

Gigem314 said:

Remember reading or hearing an interview with a WW2 bomber crew who spent time in POW camp in Germany.

He said when he got home, the hardest thing to get used to was the availability of food b/c they only got fed a few times a day, it wasn't good and they were always hungry. He followed that up with a story of the first time his wife served boiled cabbage and he just about lost his mind and broke down in tears. Cabbage was part of or all they got just about every meal while he was a POW and he couldn't stand the taste let alone the smell of cabbage.

This reminds me of one of the last stories about my Grandfather. He served in the Pacific - Australia, IIRC (he did not talk about it, so I don't know much).

He was very ill when Hurricane Katrina hit. He actually died only a couple of weeks after the storm.

Thankfully, their house wasn't damaged, and somehow they still had a working home phone. I was able to get them some provisions when I took supplies to my own parents (who had 4 ft of water in their house)

Among the provisions were some MREs a friend in Mobile gave me. He had them leftover from the last storm that hit there.

I called my grandmother every day to check on them. She told me my grandfather wasn't eating much, and she knew he wouldn't touch the MREs. So she hid them from him so he wouldn't see that she took a piece of pound cake from one of them. She doctored it up with canned peaches and whipped cream that she made by hand before the milk spoiled and gave it to him, thinking for sure it was disguised well enough that he'd eat it.

He took one look at that cake and straight up refused to even take a bite. He told my grandmother he wasn't eating MRE food.

Keep in mind, this man was at end of life - barely lucid, hallucinating, and mostly bedridden. My uncle never told him his beloved Chris Craft charter boat was destroyed in the storm. But he sure as heck could recognize an MRE and wanted absolutely no part of it.
wangus12
AG
Another Damn good episode
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Good episode tonight.
Double Talkin' Jive...
aTmAg
AG
For the critics (mostly in media) that criticized Cleven's off screen "death", kindly GFY. This worked great.
Hogties
AG
aTmAg said:

For the critics (mostly in media) that criticized Cleven's off screen "death", kindly GFY. This worked great.

I don't know Buck Cleven's fate (I assume he will be our vehicle for a stalag story line) but the way it was handled in the show in Episode 4 where he simply didn't return from the mission and we learn of his fate through crew reports of his ship taking a direct flak hit and going down was very effective.

It puts us in the position of the ground crews, commanders, support staff, and the Brits helping on base. These larger than life pilots and airmen would takeoff on a mission and simply not return, often with lots of ambiguity about their true fate. The bomber campaign wasn't the movies with clean resolutions and perfect information for the viewer. I thought Buck simply not returning was perfect for the show and the reality of life and death and MIA in this theater.

And if Buck is a POW, great. If he is KIA, good storytelling. Most of the casualties of the bomber war simply vanished into thin air, so to speak. Great filmmaking choice IMO.
G Martin 87
AG
The loading scene in the railyard was really effective. The puzzlement on the faces of the POWs was obvious and gut wrenching to see. At that time in the war, the horror of the concentration camps was unknown outside of Germany. The airmen could not comprehend what they were witnessing.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Fantastic episode! Probably my favorite so far.

The interrogation scene with Louis Hoffman (Dark, and All the Light We Cannot See) was great and I am now intrigued to look into how they knew all of the information about Egan. I was prepared for some torture at the start and when it ended up being just a conversation with nuggets, I thought "what a more effective way of interrogation."

The juxtaposition between Egan on the ground and Rosie at the flak house - mastery of story telling. Speaking of stories, loved the re-telling of Rosie's feats at the flak house. Also, the bewilderment of the soldiers when the train of prisoners passes by. That was gut wrenching. So well done.

The tension between Crosby and Sandra Westgate (Bel Powley of A Small Light), SO good!!

The "What took you so long" line at the end of the episode, chef's kiss, especially since it was actually the first thing Clevin said to Egan.
AgsMnn
AG
I will keep emphasizing that you really need to read or listen to the book. It explains a lot of things. When you watch each episode, it makes more sense and you catch a few extra things.
wangus12
AG
Look up Hans Scharff. His interrogation techniques are still often used to this day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.