*** Masters of the Air ***

96,755 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Small divert but the Wehrmacht was very much implicit in the Holocaust, especially on the Eastern Front, but that's a whole other rabbit hole to go down.
TXTransplant
Oh, no doubt. History class just seems to focus on the SS.
LMCane
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I think it's predictable what the response will be from certain sectors of our population.

Those people can stick it up their ass for all I care.

Spoiler alert - the Allied bombing campaigns killed lots of people. We did not possess "smart" bombs so what we were actually doing was dropping high explosives encased in iron on enemy populations. It was indiscriminate. It was ugly, but it was necessary.

we literally analyzed the best way to set fire to massive numbers of civilian buildings in Tokyo, and General Doolittle put our pilots more at risk to ensure more devastation on the Japanese by lower level fire bombing.

snowflakes today have no idea of the amount of devastation the USA inflicted on France, Germany, Italy and Japan from 1942-45. not even mentioning two nuclear bomb explosions.
AgLA06
AG
wangus12 said:

I think I've said it before on this thread, but my great uncle was captured during the Battle of the Bulge and finished the war bouncing from POW camp to camp on the Eastern side of Germany. His experience was that the regular German military had respect for most Western countries POWs. Other than being freezing cold and starving, there was at least some respect between the soldiers. Said the only time he was really scared of execution was right when his unit was captured. They were initially roughed up, but once at the camps you could relax a little. The SS *******s were a whole other story in terms of how you were treated based on what he'd heard.
That's correct. And what people often forget is the average German had very little to do with the Nazi party, their politics, or their agendas. Most were still suffering from the after effects of WW1 and just wanted a roof over their head, food in their bellies, and to be left alone. Sure they have a lot of national pride, but outside of a couple of big cities, Nazis really weren't much of a thing. It would be like holding many in the flyover states responsible for what happens in San Fran or New York or Austin.

Very few Germans had any real understanding of what was happening to the Jew and Gypsies and many still didn't believe it after they were forced to march through or clean up the camps after they were liberated. There were whispers, but it's not like they had any insider knowledge of what was taking place.

If you watch the end of BOB, much of our military came to at least feal a little bad for the average German military man / boy that was fighting for something they didn't believe in or had much option to change. Outside of a couple incidents and SS fanatics, the western front was pretty honorable. Eastern front, not so much.
schmendeler
AG
I mean, the increasingly severe restrictions and laws targeting Jews went on for years in Germany. Then all the Jews get shipped off to camps. It's not like any of that was a secret. People moved into homes that were vacated by imprisoned Jews. The average German didn't actively participate in the Holocaust but the claims of ignorance ring pretty hollow to me.
AJ02
AG
My grandmother's parents were from Germany. She had a lot of relatives there during the wars. I can remember she had someone's wedding portrait (not sure which relative) and it had a swastika embossed on the bottom of it. She was so embarrassed that she literally took a pair of scissors and cut it off because she didn't want the kids and grandkids to see it. She also refused to speak German growing up. So yes, I'd imagine the vast majority of Germans wanted no part of the Nazi party but just went along with it for their own safety.
AgLA06
AG
schmendeler said:

I mean, the increasingly severe restrictions and laws targeting Jews went on for years in Germany. Then all the Jews get shipped off to camps. It's not like any of that was a secret. People moved into homes that were vacated by imprisoned Jews. The average German didn't actively participate in the Holocaust but the claims of ignorance ring pretty hollow to me.
Germany had a history of claiming lands and moving in people to settle while pushing the locals out. It wasn't new and it didn't mean the final solution until WW2. And that only really happened in large cities. And as far as most knew they were mainly targeted Jews controlling the banking systems and commerce. Which were common themes the world round during that time including in the USA.

So, no. It doesn't ring hollow at all.
EclipseAg
AG
I'm reading the book "The German War" by Nicholas Stargardt right now, which uses letters, diaries and official documents to tell the story of how the war impacted regular Germans.

He clearly demonstrates that most Germans knew what was happening to the Jewish people, even if they didn't know specific details. They received news in letters and first-hand accounts from soldiers on leave, etc.

Most supported it because they were afraid that if Germany lost the war, the tables would be turned and they would be the ones rounded up.

ETA ... even though it was against the law, many Germans listened to BBC or other foreign broadcasts which often had news of Nazi atrocities.
schmendeler
AG
Here's a decent summary of the restrictions placed on Jews pre-war. It's hard to plausibly feign ignorance when this is going on for years.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/anti-jewish-legislation-in-prewar-germany

I know this is furthering a derail, but i think is kind of important to make clear.
jenn96
AG
The reality is that civilized people can rationalize just about anything. Whether fear, pride, indifference, hatred, willful ignorance, or most usually some combination of them all, people learn to live in the world that surrounds them. I don't think most Germans supported rounding up Jews, stealing their hair and teeth, gassing them and then burning their bodies. But they were generally supportive of everything that led up to that, and I'm sure plenty of German civilians just let themselves think the Jews were off at benign work camps or deported or someone else's problem.
BassCowboy33
aTmAg said:

AgLA06 said:

He shows authority and pushes Major Eagen back down in his seat and says the loud mouth Britt is his. Keoghan politely asks him to let him do it. He'd owe the Major one.

Just like he does the same when Eagen gets up to sing and ruin the moment in the O Club after the successful Uboat pen mission.

Or in episode one when he calmly lands in a bad crosswind that scares his crew. And then calls off a following Fort.

Or when he calmy suggested that the group fall back to protect Keoghan's fort even though everyone knows that makes them all vulnerable and no one wants to.

They all default to him because they respect him and his quiet confidence. That's the role he's playing.

I'd suggest lowering the shaded glasses and re-watch the episodes again. He leads in just about every episode.
And you are conflating the real Gale Cleven's words and actions with Austin Butler's delivery.

I'm not saying that the real Gale Cleven wasn't a leader. Obviously he was. This character is based off of him, and so the things he says and does is indeed "leadery". However, Austin Butler delivers his lines in a monotone quiet voice that is not "quiet confidence" but "just plain bad".

It would be like if Patton was played by Michael Cera instead of George C. Scott. He could say the exact same lines as George C. Scott and ride in the front of armies on top of tanks like the real Patton, but it would still be pathetically weak voice that takes the viewer out of the moment.

Now if there is evidence of the real Gale Cleven being meek like Butler, then I'd take all of this back. But I doubt that exists (somebody would have said so by now). If it did exist, then I would expect a line in the show that addressed it. Like have another respected pilot say "he's quiet, but he'll keep you alive." or something like that.

I think what happened is pretty simple: that Hanks liked him as Elvis and hired him for this show. But they were justifiably concerned that he would act it as Elvis so they got him a vocal coach. And that Butler's way to refrain from Elvising this role is by talking quiet and slow. It makes sense that they would hire Butler, despite these issues. They figured Butler would be a star, but they could still hire him at a cheap price for this show because Elvis hadn't aired yet.

Total aside, but this convo reminds me of when Hacksaw Ridge was coming out and people kept complaining about Andrew Garfield's accent. At the end of the film, it plays an interview with the real guy, and it sounds the exact same. Like, a spot on impression, lol.

Also, when There's Something About Mary came out, British reviewers were furious with the guy playing the British architect because they thought his accent sounded insanely fake…only for him to turn out to be British.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I will be watching that.
jwoodmd
TXTransplant said:

I've been reading the same things. I also read that the guards at the POW camp were members of the Luftwaffe, so it was "like guarding like", and the Germans at least had some understanding (maybe even some form of empathy) for their prisoners. And that they tended to give higher ranking officers more privileges.

What I find absolutely incredulous is that there were even POW camps. There is a part of me that wonders why they weren't all killed/executed at capture or after initial interrogation. I know the Germans weren't as brutal as the Japanese, but considering how they systematically executed millions of civilians (both in and outside of concentration camps), it's amazing to me that so many POWs survived.

I know the Geneva Convention protected POWs, but it's not like Hitler and his German loyalists were an ethical group of people.

There are so many stories to tell about this era of history, that I think I could probably do nothing but read and watch shows about this topic. It is almost unbelievable and too much for my brain to comprehend.
The Luftwaffe had their own POW camps and held western allied fliers in them because there were numerous German flyers being held in Allied camps. Goering wanted to show respect and good treatment for the Allied flyers so he could hope for his pilots and airman to receive similarly good treatment. It was as simple as that.
AgsMnn
AG
Let's get this back on track please. Take the shenanigans to F16.
jenn96
AG
There's also a strongly-held tenet in Western militaries that it's the very dishonorable to abuse or kill men who have surrendered to you. Obviously it happens, because war is hell, but it's never been accepted or really tolerated. The European theater POWs had it tough but they were treated fairly for the most part. The pacific experience, where the Japanese did not share this tenet and considered surrender to be shameful and cowardly was a lot different.

ETA I don't consider the Russians to be a western military in this sense.
Cliff.Booth
With the discussion lately about the treatment of the flyers in the stalags vs the treatment of those the Germans considered unworthy of compassion, this favorite book came to mind. If MotA has piqued your interest, this is one of the best books on the airwar I've read in a while. It focuses on an unusual encounter between a German fighter pilot and a B-17 crew. What I liked about the book is that the first half goes into extensive background into the life and service of the German pilot and you get a really good idea of their perspective on the war, and then it flips to the pilot of the US bomber. Excellent book that sheds new light on some of what you're seeing in MotA

w.amazon.com/Higher-Call-Incredible-Chivalry-War-Torn/dp/0425255735
wangus12
AG
I'm gonna assume this is the Franz Siglar incident?
aTmAg
AG
AgsMnn said:

Let's get this back on track please. Take the shenanigans to F16.
What shenanigans?
TXTransplant
Looks like the admins (thankfully) cleaned up the off-topic posts.
Cliff.Booth
Correct. Awesome book.
aTmAg
AG
This is a good story from a former Soviet POW on his treatment by Americans. I wonder if any of this may occur in upcoming episodes:

(Hope this doesn't count as a shenanigan)
InternetFan02
AG
PatAg said:

If anyone that gave up after 1-2 episodes is still checking this thread, I think you should start watching again.
Chris Ryan on the Watch analyzed this week how the big dramatic shift for episode 5 is most due to the first 4 episodes were directed by Cary ***unada and they shifted to other directors for the final 5
wangus12
AG
Not quite as great as the last few episodes but still really good.
TH36
I dunno how they're gunna finish this in 2 episodes especially since it looks like we're gunna be following the woman now too.
aTmAg
AG
Those P-51s are bad mofos.
TresPuertas
AG
if anyone hasn't heard of it already a good companion piece to this show is a book titled "a higher call".

it's about the luftwaffe and the army air corps and how they operated in WWII. one of the scenes in this episode has the commandant of Stalag 3 speaking to the men about how it is in everyone best interest that they stay in a camp operated by the luftwaffe.

the book sheds some light on this subject and i never knew it but the luftwaffe operated somewhat independently of the Nazi party and as such they had a lot more honor and treated the prisoners much better than the Gestapo or SS would have treated prisoners. from what i recall the luftwaffe didn't require their members to be part of the party and its members acted in a way more similar to the americans and allies than your typical nazi. they were a lot less hardcore and way less cruel in their treatment.

the book goes into far greater detail and there are some amazing stories of honor amongst the German pilot ranks. Goering was a ****head to be sure but the american pilot POWs were in far better hands in this situation than the alternative.

also, what was the deal with crosby? did the producers take a bit of liberty with his story because as i read earlier, he apparently didn't have relations with the british lady and their relationship ended after their first meeting
wangus12
AG
I'll say this about Crosby. In his own book, it didn't seem like he had relations with the Brit, but it did sound like he did with a different one on base
JABQ04
AG
TH36 said:

I dunno how they're gunna finish this in 2 episodes especially since it looks like we're gunna be following the woman now too.

I agree. Her story, Tuskegee Airmen, POW camp, Rosie and Crosby. Lotta **** to tie up in 2 episodes.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm about half through Crosby's book and he seems like a pretty straight arrow. He didn't really drink or take liberty to London much but he is still a navigator on a fort so that may change.

The POW experience was bad but could have been much worse had the SS or Gestapo been in charge. The POWs in Switzerland were not treated well at all bit the POWs in Sweden were treated very well.

I agree that they have a lot of ground to cover in 2 episodes. This isn't BoB great to me, but it has been a solid show so far. I'll probably binge it after the finale just to put everything together.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Stive
AG
Yeah based on next weeks preview, the Tuskegee thing is going to be a lot more than a few random guys in a Stalag like predicted by some based on the teasers. It seems a little odd that they're introducing that group in the next to last episode, but I guess if you think about it, the Thorpe Abbott aspect could almost be wrapped up, other than the Crosby thing. I guess they could continue to follow Rosenthal going forward but I got the gist, based on how they were treating that in this episode, that they're winding that down. I'm also not sure how much more POW camp they could focus on.
wangus12
AG
From Crosby's book

There is a chapter called R&R in his book where it is heavily implied he was sleeping with someone. He even states, "I didn't tell Jean" at the end of it
Ag Since 83
AG
I am going to read Crosby's book once the show ends. It sounds like they made a composite character of two women, which makes sense from a storytelling perspective.

It'll be interesting to see how good next week's episode is. I agree it feels very late in the game to be expanding the scope so much.
aTmAg
AG
Yeah I hope the Tuskegee stuff somehow weaves into the story properly. That it doesn't come off as a "look here! Black pilots did brave stuff too!" But at this point, I can't figure out how they can possibly do it properly. Especially since they were geographically far away.
ChipFTAC01
AG
aTmAg said:

Yeah I hope the Tuskegee stuff somehow weaves into the story properly. That it doesn't come off as a "look here! Black pilots did brave stuff too!" But at this point, I can't figure out how they can possibly do it properly. Especially since they were geographically far away.

The Tuskegee were in Italy, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.