*** Masters of the Air ***

96,744 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I find it interesting how the marketing (not sure if that is the right term, maybe propaganda?) of the time was so focused on certain aircraft, the B-17 being one (P-51 is the other I'm thinking of). I wonder why the Flying Fortress was the "pretty girl" of WWII US bombers when more B-24s were produced and the Liberator had arguably better "statistics" (range, altitude, bomb load, etc). Was it simply because the FF came first? Or was it because the B-17 was a stylistically better looking aircraft than the Liberator, which might be described as a box with wings due to the fuselage shape?

I've read the B-24 was more difficult to fly, especially when fully loaded. It also just doesn't have the same lines. The B-17 is straight up beautiful. The B-24 is, well, more capable.
wangus12
AG
wangus12
AG
Another good episode
TresPuertas
AG
for those unaware episode 4 is up. and it's a good one
wangus12
AG
One thing that really annoys me and I've been seeing it across all tv, especially streaming over the last few years is that they have a Previously On at the start of every show that takes up some of the run time. Do companies feel people are not smart enough (granted this may be true) to not be able to remember the last episode from 7 days ago.
Stive
AG
wangus12 said:

One thing that really annoys me and I've been seeing it across all tv, especially streaming over the last few years is that they have a Previously On at the start of every show that takes up some of the run time. Do companies feel people are not smart enough (granted this may be true) to not be able to remember the last episode from 7 days ago.

They've been doing this for a long time.
Claude!
AggieOO said:

Indianapolis could be very interesting, but it'd be a completely different kind of series.
Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
wangus12 said:

Dude, they did that even back in The West Wing days. I think it's less about remembering the previous episode, but highlighting previous segments from all episodes that will become more relevant in the current episode.
AgsMnn
AG
Good show. Just wish the episodes were longer.
tk for tu juan
"Previously on Lost…"
Southlake
Taking out the sub pens again tonight…
aTmAg
AG
The Americans did "previously on" and they were required viewing to understand what the hell was going on. There was no way to remember every character. I'm fine with them on this show as there are also a crap ton of characters to keep straight.

Thought this episode was good. I hated when The Pacific spent a whole episode on Australia leave and tried to shoehorn in love interests, but this one made that a small part of the episode. And him seeing a little bit of the "business end" of bombs was effective. And his phone call was a damn good way to end the episode.

I find it interesting that they didn't show what happened to Buck. I hated when No Country for Old Men did that, but here it was great. We viewers experience the same thing the rest of the guys experience. Props to the script writers or whoever.
wangus12
AG
I felt that was very much the goal of this episode. Put the viewer in the shoes of the guys who stayed behind and "sweated in" the guys that went out. Just hanging around waiting and hoping your buddies come back in.
aTmAg
AG
It was a good call, IMO. One unfortunate thing about these missions from a viewer's perspective is that they are very similar to each other. If they just showed a mission of the week everytime, it would get old pretty quick. They didn't even show one this time and she show didn't miss a beat.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That was another great episode. I did have some The Pacific third episode ( the Australia episode ) vibes, but this one was done much more effectively, with enough war action as experienced by those left behind to remind that this is a war series and not a romance. I also really am enjoying the airmen trying to get back to England with the French resistance.
rynning
AG
aTmAg said:

It was a good call, IMO. One unfortunate thing about these missions from a viewer's perspective is that they are very similar to each other. If they just showed a mission of the week everytime, it would get old pretty quick. They didn't even show one this time and she show didn't miss a beat.
Right, we know exactly how it went. The only question was who came back and who didn't.
jbanda
AG
I wish they had revealed how they knew that guy was an infiltrator. Maybe the maquis flips him the lighter and it's got a swastika on it or something .
wangus12
AG
Final straw was the Imco lighter (Austrian made) instead of a Zippo. I think he also said the anthem slightly wrong. Wrote the date DD/MM/YY, but I think that's normal in the military.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
My wife had the same question. I told her I would pay close attention when I inevitably rewatch this series. It was likely something not obvious, a mannerism perhaps, or like you said, maybe something that inadvertently gave him away. Unlike the Babe Ruth question.

Edit - answered one post before mine.
rynning
AG
wangus12 said:

Final straw was the Imco lighter (Austrian made) instead of a Zippo. I think he also said the anthem slightly wrong. Wrote the date DD/MM/YY, but I think that's normal in the military.
I thought he might have sung the anthem too well. Anyone else immediately rewatch the whole beginning?
aTmAg
AG
I think it was a combination of all of that stuff. He probably knew London too well, sang the anthem too well, wrote the date the European way, etc.

Buck would probably fail the crap out of that Babe Ruth question, since he isn't a fan of sports and all.
washedupballer
AG
Southlake, I can't message you, but I was reading a thread from 2002 and saw you were a tunnel master. Was hoping if you could share some stories about the steam tunnels!
Teddy Perkins
AG
Once you get past this guy's voice, this video actually has some really cool info.
chick79
AG
I'm caught up in this series. It's not doing a whole lot for me. It's not bad but it's nowhere near as well done as Band of Brothers. I will continue to watch though.
TresPuertas
AG
jbanda said:

I wish they had revealed how they knew that guy was an infiltrator. Maybe the maquis flips him the lighter and it's got a swastika on it or something .

notice how he writes down the date when they ask him to.
jwoodmd
TresPuertas said:

jbanda said:

notice how he writes down the date when they ask him to.
That was one. The other was he sang the Star Spangled Banner too perfectly and with too much gusto. The others two even just hummed over a spot or two.
arrow
AG
I really enjoyed this episode. They are doing a great job with a difficult source material. Each episode could be its own 2 hr film and I'd watch. The series is really picking up momentum now.

Happy to see Rosenthal somewhat featured. Now I just need a Yeager cameo to complete my bingo card. It also helps that every woman on the show is gorgeous.
JABQ04
AG
I wonder if they're going to show the Bremen raid through flash backs?
The Kraken
AG
wangus12 said:

All those, plus wrote his numeral 1s German style. More specifically, continental European style with the little upstroke on the 1.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Hey Nav
AG
I can't remember why I started using a Continental 7 or Z but I have for most of my life. I wonder if that would have resulted in a bullet to the head.
Swarely
Still feels too disjointed for me. I don't really care about any of the characters aside from Meatball.

I'm interested to see how/if the show changes next week. The first four episodes were all directed by the same guy and the next two are done by a duo.
Cliff.Booth
*scene of a bomber and its crew going down in flames*

Viewer: Well, I didn't get three episodes watching them doing training missions and seeing them have conversations with their parents and girlfriends, so I just can't care about this.
Cliff.Booth
Gotta say, the scene where Egan walks past a bombed out London apt and sees a mother screaming for her dead child was one of the most poignant yet. Having to confront the reality of what these area-bombings inevitably resulted in, that was gut-wrenching.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yes, that was well done for the right effect.
arrow
AG
I agree, the mother/daughter scene, and the following sequence with the phone call and Egan's reaction to both was really well done. Glad they made the cut.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.