*** Masters of the Air ***

96,754 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by double aught
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enjoyed it. Problem that I had (and I think I had the same problem with Pacific but it's been a long time since I've seen it) is that they just throw you in without the character development. BOB's first episode is all jump school and second ep is training in England. By the time they hit combat you know the guys. This shows also going to suffer from the fact that they all are all wearing flight gear and can barely tell who anyone is.
wangus12
AG
That's what some of the reviews said. Tough to get connected to the characters.
wangus12
AG
Man the anxiety is palpable when they're just sitting through those fields of flak and there is nothing you could do about it but hope and pray
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I made it through the first episode but I think I'm out.

It's just incredibly bland with uninteresting stock characters and no real sense of purpose or necessity. Like something out of the late '90s, on PBS, especially with that random/pointless voice over. I'll also echo that it in no way felt like a proper pilot/first episode, as I still don't know or care about any of these characters at all.

Really, it's hard to believe this is from the same director as the first season of True Detective and No Time to Die. Shocking, in fact.

Overall, it's not that it's bad, or that it won't get better - I'm sure it will - it just feels like I've seen all of this a thousand times before. Honestly, I'm to the point where I can't help but think that WWII has been milked to death cinematically, and unless you're someone like Nolan, who's doing something different and unique with the genre, I really don't need any more of these types of WWII stories ever again.

I think the best way I can describe it is that I was left mostly with a cynical feeling, like here's yet another generation of It Boy actors going through the motions, doing their obligatory WWII project, because that's what It Boys have always done, and by God that's what they're continue to do, even if we have absolutely nothing new to say.
AgsMnn
AG
I am listening the Masters of the Air audiobook right now. It is unbelievable how many planes and men were lost in the air.
Noblemen06
AG
I'm glad they only dropped two episodes because I would have been up even later and I'd be worthless for work this morning. I'm thrilled with it and can't wait for the rest to roll out.
wangus12
AG
Same. My wife was watching a movie till almost 10:30. Told myself I watch the 1st episode. Ended up watching both and going to be at 1. This morning was a rough alarm
Falcon74
AG
Unfortunately, I agree. My assumption was correct based on the trailers and footage. Very generic and too many close ups of pretty boy Elvis. Yes, he's a handsome man. No connection to any of the characters. The Pacific really tried to match the connections of BoB but ultimately the acting was sub par. I will continue to watch and not comment on here anymore.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
While I'm not as negative about as TCTTS, it did feel just a little "empty" maybe. Like they just jump right into it and get all the stereotypical cinematic and air combat shots into the first episode. I didn't understand who was who, etc. I will continue to watch because I'm interested in the history and will hope it grows on me. The other two series grew on me as they went on as well.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
At least it wasn't WOKE, right?!
ABATTBQ11
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Enjoyed it. Problem that I had (and I think I had the same problem with Pacific but it's been a long time since I've seen it) is that they just throw you in without the character development. BOB's first episode is all jump school and second ep is training in England. By the time they hit combat you know the guys. This shows also going to suffer from the fact that they all are all wearing flight gear and can barely tell who anyone is.

I think a big part of that is that the history of Easy Company's training was well documented, a lot of those guys were still around to tell it, and they all went through the way mostly together. I'm not sure the same could be said about The Pacific.
TH36
The Pacific did a good job of building connections as the show went on. The individual stories of each man did that. Like when Ack Ack was killed by a sniper and Gunny Haney lost it. That really happens if you go read the book. He never saw the battlefield again after that cause he was so attached to Capt. Haldane and loved the man for who he was as an officer. I feel like you could feel all that while watching the Pacific which you feel when you read With the Old Breed.

I'm interested to see how this show goes, I didn't get to watch it last night but I'm gunna remain positive. I bet if you watched it and didn't try and compare it to BoB then it would be better.
Max Power
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

While I'm not as negative about as TCTTS, it did feel just a little "empty" maybe. Like they just jump right into it and get all the stereotypical cinematic and air combat shots into the first episode. I didn't understand who was who, etc. I will continue to watch because I'm interested in the history and will hope it grows on me. The other two series grew on me as they went on as well.
That's a good way of putting it. It felt a little safe and formulaic to me, it felt more like they were trying showcase Austin Butler and Callum Turner as stars more than laying the foundation for you to care about overall group. Barry Keoghan got a bit of screen time but it was mainly the Austin and Callum show. The CGI on the planes is pretty bad IMO.

The failed opportunity to me was them not really leaning into the fact that of all the combatants in WWII from The Allies, the airmen had the smallest chance of survival. They had a few of the planes get shot down and a gunner get frostbite. I just didn't get that same feeling of fear and dread like from other WWII entertainment. If you want to grab and audience, especially those that don't know any better, show them why that was the scariest and most dangerous job for the people that got on those planes during the daytime. I was glad they did at least have that exchange explaining that the Brits and Americans flew at different times of the day and thus had different levels of danger associated with their respective assignments.

I'm a junkie for WWII entertainment so I'll definitely watch all the way through.

Of the 9 episodes I looked up the directors per IMDB:
Cary Joji ***unaga (True Detective) 4 episodes
Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck (Mississippi Grind) 2 episodes
Dee Rees (Mudbound) 2 episodes
Timothy Van Patten (tons of prestige TV shows, Perry Mason, Black Mirror, Boardwalk Empire, GOT, The Pacific, The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire) 1 episode
CyanideJenkins
AG
Y'all say whatever the **** you want about character development and storylines....

I'll just be over here trying to still wrap my mind around the idea of being a Ball Gunner on one of them things. Holy hell!
wangus12
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

I think a big part of that is that the history of Easy Company's training was well documented, a lot of those guys were still around to tell it, and they all went through the way mostly together. I'm not sure the same could be said about The Pacific.
I agree with this. You still had quite a few of the Easy Company guys left when the show was made. Less so with the Pacific. And now with this, I'm pretty sure they said none of the guys being portrayed were alive when filming starting.

BoB was the only one that started with their initial training, which helps you get to know the characters with the frantic chaos of combat.. The Pacific and MotA both didn't do that. They both throw us straight into combat before we meet most of the men. The Pacific also tended to jump around quite bit to individuals in different phases of the war. I like the MotA is going to stick with the same unit for the most part.
AgsMnn
AG
CyanideJenkins said:

Y'all say whatever the **** you want about character development and storylines....

I'll just be over here trying to still wrap my mind around the idea of being a Ball Gunner on one of them things. Holy hell!

Almost suicidal if you were one.
Claude!
CyanideJenkins said:

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.
double aught
AG
Whoa
Sapper Redux
"The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner" by Randall Jarrell
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I enjoyed the book but have felt it like it was too big picture to turn into a BoB-worthy series. I'll continue watching it but after watching last night, it fell a little short of what I've been anticipating for several years now. Hopefully future episodes will smooth some of the rough edges.
Max Power
AG
I would say to everyone, whether you're enjoying this show or not, do yourself a favor and watch The Cold Blue which is streaming on MAX.

PatAg
AG
I like the first two episodes so far. I will say I think it is a bit silly to consider bailing after one episode of a miniseries.
Or even trying to judge the series as a whole off of one episode. And then comparing it to band of brothers, which you've all not only watched multiple times, but you at least seen the entirety of.
It could very well still end up being a step down from those shows but I thought episode 2 took a decent step forward from episode 1.
aTmAg
AG
Ooops... I thought this came out on Sunday. Not sure why.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

I like the first two episodes so far. I will say I think it is a bit silly to consider bailing after one episode of a miniseries.
Or even trying to judge the series as a whole off of one episode. And then comparing it to band of brothers, which you've all not only watched multiple times, but you at least seen the entirety of.
It could very well still end up being a step down from those shows but I thought episode 2 took a decent step forward from episode 1.

I'm sorry, but there just wasn't a single thing about it that made me want to watch the next episode. IMO, it was all so bland/paint-by-numbers, and it's obvious that the filmmaking, at least, isn't going to excite me in any way. I totally get just wanting to watch some WWII pilots do their thing, and that most in this thread are here for the history. But this kind of thing, if not taking big swings or doing something unique, just doesn't pull me in anymore.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
That's fine. To each their own. Time is too scarce these days to spend it watching something you don't enjoy.
InternetFan02
AG
Disappointing and sounds like it's more like Midway and Greyhound than prestige TV. Expected more from Cary ***unaga and this brand. Expectations recalibrated but hopefully it's still worth watching.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Only watched the first episode but I didn't like how they dropped us right into them deploying. Needed that basic/flight school bit to develop their characters and relationships, but even then, it would only connect the pilots and not their crews in the way BoB did. I think they are trying to do a Winters/Nixon dynamic with Butler and Turner but we need more time with the crews, which we could still get.

Also, I definitely got the sense a lot of these guys are Brit's playing Yanks. Too many sounding like Alabama rednecks or New yorkahs. Just seemed more like caricatures of WW2 vets and not actual people that lived and died

And yeah, the cgi still leaves a lot to be desired. Great inside the planes and cockpits, but most of the exteriors are too plainly computer generated.

I'm still in it though
Marauder Blue 6
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I think they are trying to do a Winters/Nixon dynamic with Butler and Turner but we need more time with the crews, which we could still get.

They've already got the Herbert Sobel angle covered with the bomb group commander.
wangus12
AG
2nd episode definitely starts to help you get to know the other men of the 100th besides Egan and Cleven
Joan Wilder
AG
I watched Twelve O'clock High in prep for this series and holy hell…that movie was amazing.
AggieOO
i guess i'm just simple-minded. i enjoyed both of the first two episodes.
OldArmy71
AG
Joan Wilder said:

I watched Twelve O'clock High in prep for this series and holy hell…that movie was amazing.
I didn't want to muddy the waters by mentioning this movie, but yes, it is an amazing, first-rate movie. The emphasis is on the characterizations, and the characterizations are excellent.

The film comes from a book by two men who were in the 8th Air Force and several of the characters are based on real people the authors knew.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I watched Memphis Belle. Does that count?
AgBQ-00
AG
Anyone else having issues with the app? Mine will play a few seconds and freeze up
TexAg2001
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I came here to post exactly this....No initial character development and it's hard to tell who is who due to flight gear when in an aircaft.

That being said, I will continue to watch since I'm a sucker for anything WWII related.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.