The Last of Us - HBO

82,120 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by n_touch
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oragator said:

It's all happening!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cases-deadly-fungus-drug-resistance
yeast infections say hello.
Saxsoon
AG
C@LAg said:

Jim01 said:

This guy you've rooted for all game is all of a sudden the bad guy. The show captured that turn perfectly.
he is only a bad guy if you chose to think of him as a bad guy.

he saved the life of the person he most cared about from a procedure there was no guarantee would be able to provide any value

that is not a bad thing at all.

you take what you can get from life. let other people deal with their own *****

#JoelIsAGoodGuy

Neil has talked about this. If you were a parent, no one thought Joel was bad or evil. But consider 2013 gamers, a majority I would say were not parents. The morality choice was split 50 % on whether what he did was right or not. 2013 was a peak moment in gaming where you had games like fallout and Mass Effect where you straight up made choices and the game told you it was a good or evil act. This game came along and defiantly made you mow down these doctors trying to save humanity (many times with a flamethrower) and it shocked a **** ton of gamers.

If you want to see why gamers would have been torn even more look up a game called spec ops the line that came out the year before
c-jags
Saxsoon said:

C@LAg said:

Jim01 said:

This guy you've rooted for all game is all of a sudden the bad guy. The show captured that turn perfectly.
he is only a bad guy if you chose to think of him as a bad guy.

he saved the life of the person he most cared about from a procedure there was no guarantee would be able to provide any value

that is not a bad thing at all.

you take what you can get from life. let other people deal with their own *****

#JoelIsAGoodGuy

Neil has talked about this. If you were a parent, no one thought Joel was bad or evil. But consider 2013 gamers, a majority I would say were not parents. The morality choice was split 50 % on whether what he did was right or not. 2013 was a peak moment in gaming where you had games like fallout and Mass Effect where you straight up made choices and the game told you it was a good or evil act. This game came along and defiantly made you mow down these doctors trying to save humanity (many times with a flamethrower) and it shocked a **** ton of gamers.

If you want to see why gamers would have been torn even more look up a game called spec ops the line that came out the year before
there's a great speech on what parents change for children at Oxford Union a months back. it's very politically charged for most of it, granted. but the tail end he talks about how his entire worldview changes when you become an parent. nails it better than i ever could.

i recommend the entire video, but here's the main part.

i'd wager that if you asked 20 yo in 2013 did Joel do the right thing, it would be a 50/50 split. if you asked parents, i'd wager it was 80/20.
Saxsoon
AG
I think I saw that video, it was really good
oragator
I did stick with it, finished it tonight.
I do love the moral questions in the last episode. And I think the way they portrayed Ellie and a Joel were great. Outside of the "one guy kills everyone even though they all have weapons too" there in the hospital. they made them both strong but human. And him lying to her at the end is devastating.
Max Power
AG
I started a rewatch this week because I was struggling to find something else and I haven't revisited the series since it ended. I watched Long Long Time again yesterday, and it's just damn good tv. That episode of The Last of Us and episode The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride from Blue Eye Samurai are probably my two favorite episodes of TV from this year. Crazy to think this episode aired almost a year ago, it was on January 29th. Out of curiosity I took a peek at the per episode ratings of the show on IMDB. While this episode has the most ratings of any of the episodes at 224k, it's also the second-lowest rated at 8.1. The lowest rated comes by way of Left Behind at 7.4. I'm guessing it's not coincidence considering Long Long Time is primarily a love story between two men and Left Behind is primarily a love story between two girls. I didn't go in to check comments, just going off of context clues. I personally don't understand letting that detail lessen the experience, but to each their own.

Though the entire episode is incredible, the letter from Bill to Joel at the end still hits hard.

August 29, 2023.
If you find this… please do not come into the bedroom. We left a window open so the house wouldn't smell, but it will probably be a sight. I'm guessing you found this, Joel, because anyone else would've been electrocuted or blown up by one of my traps. Hehehehehehehehe. Take anything you need. The bunker code is the same as the gate code but in reverse. Anyway… I never liked you, but still, it's like we're friends… almost. And I respect you. So, I'm gonna tell you something because you're probably the only person who will understand. I used to hate the world, and I was happy when everyone died. But I was wrong because there was one person worth saving. That's what I did. I saved him. Then I protected him. That's why men like you and me are here. We have a job to do. And God help any ************* who stand in our way. I leave you all of my weapons and equipment. Use them to keep…

Anyway, just wanted to reinforce how good this season of TV was. It's some of the best TV out there and worthy of your time whether you haven't seen it yet, or you're considering going back.
boy09
AG
I remember Long Long Time getting review bombed pretty hard when it aired. There were a lot of people mad that they had to see gay people on their TV (a handful of those people were in this thread..). I'm sure the same thing happened with Left Behind.
agracer
AG
boy09 said:

I remember Long Long Time getting review bombed pretty hard when it aired. There were a lot of people mad that they had to see gay people on their TV (a handful of those people were in this thread..). I'm sure the same thing happened with Left Behind.
A lot of people were mad b/c it was just an add that wasn't part of the video game, also the producer/director/whatever added the two gay men specifically to piss people off. He said as much.
bluefire579
AG
agracer said:

boy09 said:

A lot of people were mad b/c it was just an add that wasn't part of the video game, also the producer/director/whatever added the two gay men specifically to piss people off. He said as much.
As has been discussed ad nauseum since it came out, they were in the game, and they were very clearly gay in the game. The episode went deeper than the game (which is strictly told from Ellie and Joel's viewpoint), as it did in several other places, but saying they were added just for the show and that the show made them gay is flat out wrong
fig96
AG
bluefire579 said:

agracer said:

boy09 said:

As has been discussed ad nauseum since it came out, they were in the game, and they were very clearly gay in the game. The episode went deeper than the game (which is strictly told from Ellie and Joel's viewpoint), as it did in several other places, but saying they were added just for the show and that the show made them gay is flat out wrong
That was also some awesome storytelling, one of my favorite eps of the season.
Urban Ag
AG
I thought it was the strongest episode of the whole season honestly. Pretty close to perfectly done, story within the story.
jokershady
AG
Max Power said:

I started a rewatch this week because I was struggling to find something else and I haven't revisited the series since it ended. I watched Long Long Time again yesterday, and it's just damn good tv. That episode of The Last of Us and episode The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride from Blue Eye Samurai are probably my two favorite episodes of TV from this year. Crazy to think this episode aired almost a year ago, it was on January 29th. Out of curiosity I took a peek at the per episode ratings of the show on IMDB. While this episode has the most ratings of any of the episodes at 224k, it's also the second-lowest rated at 8.1. The lowest rated comes by way of Left Behind at 7.4. I'm guessing it's not coincidence considering Long Long Time is primarily a love story between two men and Left Behind is primarily a love story between two girls. I didn't go in to check comments, just going off of context clues. I personally don't understand letting that detail lessen the experience, but to each their own.

Though the entire episode is incredible, the letter from Bill to Joel at the end still hits hard.

August 29, 2023.
If you find this… please do not come into the bedroom. We left a window open so the house wouldn't smell, but it will probably be a sight. I'm guessing you found this, Joel, because anyone else would've been electrocuted or blown up by one of my traps. Hehehehehehehehe. Take anything you need. The bunker code is the same as the gate code but in reverse. Anyway… I never liked you, but still, it's like we're friends… almost. And I respect you. So, I'm gonna tell you something because you're probably the only person who will understand. I used to hate the world, and I was happy when everyone died. But I was wrong because there was one person worth saving. That's what I did. I saved him. Then I protected him. That's why men like you and me are here. We have a job to do. And God help any ************* who stand in our way. I leave you all of my weapons and equipment. Use them to keep…

Anyway, just wanted to reinforce how good this season of TV was. It's some of the best TV out there and worthy of your time whether you haven't seen it yet, or you're considering going back.
while yes none of the 3rd episode was in the game and as a big fan of the original game i was understandably thrown off by the episode at first...

but yeah it was the best thing they could've done cause those two characters were gay in the game and were given pretty much zero backstory....(and the backstory that was there was about a one page suicide note from the other guy and a few lines of dialogue) and if they kept it the way it the same way in the game it would've been joel just walking around disarming traps and encountering a few zombies

but the reason i highlighted the letter you posted from the show cause i've only watched the episode once....that thing reads just as if it was from the game and seeing it writing never appreciated how game accurate that was....pretty cool...
Fenrir
jokershady said:

Max Power said:

August 29, 2023.

while yes none of the 3rd episode was in the game and as a big fan of the original game i was understandably thrown off by the episode at first...

but yeah it was the best thing they could've done cause those two characters were gay in the game and were given pretty much zero backstory....(and the backstory that was there was about a one page suicide note from the other guy and a few lines of dialogue) and if they kept it the way it the same way in the game it would've been joel just walking around disarming traps and encountering a few zombies

but the reason i highlighted the letter you posted from the show cause i've only watched the episode once....that thing reads just as if it was from the game and seeing it writing never appreciated how game accurate that was....pretty cool...
I don' think that's an accurate statement at all. A game accurate portrayal of the events of Bill's Town would have been far more than Joel just walking around. So much of it sets up exactly the type of person Bill is and has become. The amount of distrust in others, the lengths he will go to in order to survive, and how isolated he makes himself...Bill is a reflection of the "survivor" part of Joel taken to the extreme. Joel doesn't actually get to see or be involved in seeing that in this last trip to Bill's town. He doesn't get to see what Bill lost due to his over the top isolationism first hand. We do as viewers but the idea that a random note left is going to have the same impact for character growth as experiencing something with someone.

It's a far weaker version of Joel and Ellie's story through Bill's town, imo, regardless of how well produced the episode was.
cr0wbar
AG
agracer said:

boy09 said:

Yea - this is incorrect. Anyone that's played the TLoU will tell you that.

Naughty Dog has cemented themselves as one of the best solo campaign game devs out there. Gameplay typically involves a 'rail like' map and storyline. It's your modern day version of levels. What they do best is sprinkle throughout the map items with notes, stories, plans, drawings, pictures - all to immerse the gamer and to flesh out the game world. Bill is very much a part of TLoU - but we're never introduced to Frank - and only learn of their demise by seeking out the nuggets during the story.

Neil Druckmann needed to really flesh out the Frank/Bill for an episode and it hits you just as hard as it does in the video game. Playing through TLoU and TLoU 2 is not only incredibly fun gameplay wise - but the story continuously punches you in the gut. I cannot wait to see the reactions when we get into the weeds of TLoU 2 for that very reason. Between TLoU and Uncharted - he's an incredible story teller for the video game industry.
johnnyblaze36
AG
cr0wbar said:

agracer said:

boy09 said:

Naughty Dog has cemented themselves as one of the best solo campaign game devs out there. Gameplay typically involves a 'rail like' map and storyline. It's your modern day version of levels. What they do best is sprinkle throughout the map items with notes, stories, plans, drawings, pictures - all to immerse the gamer and to flesh out the game world. Bill is very much a part of TLoU - but we're never introduced to Frank - and only learn of their demise by seeking out the nuggets during the story.

Neil Druckmann needed to really flesh out the Frank/Bill for an episode and it hits you just as hard as it does in the video game. Playing through TLoU and TLoU 2 is not only incredibly fun gameplay wise - but the story continuously punches you in the gut. I cannot wait to see the reactions when we get into the weeds of TLoU 2 for that very reason. Between TLoU and Uncharted - he's an incredible story teller for the video game industry.
The first bolded part is incorrect. The second bolded part is correct. The third part also incorrect. HTH.

bluefire579
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

cr0wbar said:

agracer said:

boy09 said:

The first bolded part is incorrect. The second bolded part is correct. The third part also incorrect. HTH.

You're either a troll or have the media literacy of a clam. HTH.
cr0wbar
AG
sorry this is happening to you

bluefire579
AG
Abby has been cast

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/kaitlyn-dever-last-of-us-season-2-abby-1235782912/
Sex Panther
AG
She's a good actress but she's tiny. Gonna have to hit the HGH
C@LAg
Sex Panther said:

agreed. needs to be much buffer for those uncomfortably staged sex scenes.
jokershady
AG
Sex Panther said:

was gonna ask if anyone knows her T levels….
n_touch
The good news is they are casting new characters. The bad news is it seems the wait between Seasons 1 & 2 will be just as long as between games 1 & 2.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.