*** 2018 Movie Release Schedule ***

90,548 Views | 794 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TCTTS
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

How do you not have Benny yelling "SPACESHIP!!!!" In that trailer?
wangus12
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

And here we go...

This has quite a bit of potential.

Wreck it Ralph: Ralph uses pop culture to outdo Ready Player One
Vince Blake
Oh wow...I grew up in a neighborhood behind this bank.
TCTTS
AG
It's been a crazy two days so far for trailers - even more so than I anticipated - but here's what we still have left over the next three days...

Announced:

A Star Is Born
First Trailer (online Wednesday, June 6)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Full Trailer (online Wednesday, June 6)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
First Trailer (online Thursday, June 7)

First Man
First Trailer (online Friday June 8)

Halloween
First Trailer (online Friday June 8)

TBD:

The Girl in the Spider's Web
First Trailer

Life Itself
Full Trailer

The Little Stranger
First Trailer

Serenity
First Trailer

A Simple Favor
Full Trailer
TCTTS
AG
Bad Dude said:

Oh wow...I grew up in a neighborhood behind this bank.
Nice. Were you lucky enough to get robbed by Robert Redford in the '70s?
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

It's been a crazy two days so far for trailers - even more than I anticipated - but here's what we still have left over the next three days:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Full Trailer (online Wednesday, June 6)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
First Trailer (online Thursday, June 7)
Totally pumped for both of these.
Madmarttigan
AG
There was a time after LOTR was released I probably would have watched Peter Jackson do anything, but since the Hobbit he has completely shattered my image of him and nothing excites me about the Mortal Engines trailer. I suppose I have never read the books either so maybe it is more engaging for those who know the story.
Formerly tv1113
Noblemen06
AG
ATM1876 said:

Peter Jackson's "Cloud Atlas"
wangus12
AG
Noblemen06 said:

ATM1876 said:

Peter Jackson's "Cloud Atlas"
She looks like the girl version of James McAvoy
fig96
AG
ATM1876 said:

This just became my most anticipated film of 2018. Just, wow.
TCTTS
AG
ATM1876 said:

Looks amazing, but can someone catch me up on the basic conceit? I figured this trailer would explain why there are so many Spider-Men/Women, but I'm still just as confused. I know that Miles Morales is an alternate universe Spidey/comic, but I always thought he was the only one in that particular universe. Is the "Spider-Verse" based on any comic, in particular. And again, did they all get bit by the same spider or what?
TCTTS
AG
Wow.

Charpie
AG
I can't wait!!
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

ATM1876 said:

Looks amazing, but can someone catch me up on the basic conceit? I figured this trailer would explain why there are so many Spider-Men/Women, but I'm still just as confused. I know that Miles Morales is an alternate universe Spidey/comic, but I always thought he was the only one in that particular universe. Is the "Spider-Verse" based on any comic, in particular. And again, did they all get bit by the same spider or what?
So they actually do/can exist in the same universe, though not all the comics necessarily include all the characters. There also some weird alternate universe storylines because comics.

In Homecoming, Donald Glover makes a comment about looking out for his nephew. That nephew would be Miles Morales, and Glover's character becomes a villain called the Prowler who spends time on both sides of the law. (Also worth noting that Peter's best friend in Homecoming is heavily borrowed from Miles' best friend in the comics.)

In the original Miles' origin story Prowler steals a sample from Oscorp and a spider from the experiment crawls into his bag, and that spider bites Miles when he's visiting his uncle's apartment. In that universe Peter Parker is killed and Miles takes over as Spider-Man.

There's a few reboots of that storyline, the current of which has an older and alive Peter Parker running Parker Industries and operating globally as Spider-Man while Miles protects NYC.

Spider-Gwen was an alternate universe character, not quite sure how she'll tie into this one.

TLDR this looks to be borrowing from a few different pieces of source material.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting. Thanks for the background. But we still don't know if they were all bit by the same spider or if something bigger is at play?
fig96
AG
You bet.The spider that bit Miles isn't the same spider but is one that was exposed to Peter's blood. I believe in Gwen's origin she was the one bitten, not Peter, but not sure how that works into this universe.
hurleyag
AG
That looks amazing!
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
fig96 said:

ATM1876 said:

This just became my most anticipated film of 2018. Just, wow.

As an animator and designer, I really can't express how hard I'm geeking about this film right now. This is more akin to stylized 2D animation than CG, some of the details they're bringing into the light and shadows and aberrations as well as the inserted 2D frames are just beautiful.

Sex Panther
AG
I think the animation looks amazing, although there are a few parts where it seemed like something was up with the framerate? Almost like claymation? I don't know anything about it, so I'm probably not describing it correctly, but does that make sense at all?
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

I think the animation looks amazing, although there are a few parts where it seemed like something was up with the framerate? Almost like claymation? I don't know anything about it, so I'm probably not describing it correctly, but does that make sense at all?
It totally does actually.

Stopmotion/claymation animation is generally done on 2s, meaning that when animating for film at 24 frames per second you're animating one frame for every two frames of film (a frame is animated then held for a frame, i.e. on 2s).

There's places in here where they animated on 2s or even on 3s, giving it the stylized sort of stuttery look that you're seeing.
TCTTS
AG
I saw someone discussing it on Twitter and apparently it's utilizing some kind of anti-blur animation that's really hard to pull off, but that might be contributing to that effect. From what I understand, if you were pause most animated movies during the action, you'd see a blur. But not with this movie. This guy is in the know and was totally geeking out about never having seen that before.
TCTTS
AG
Was typing my reply as you posted that, but yeah, you're clearly in more of a knowledgeable position than I am, and can explain it way better.
fig96
AG
They're doing SO much in this film that I've never seen before. All the chromatic aberration, inserted 2D/comic frames, called out graphic sound effects ("BOOM"), random shifting of the RGB channels to create fringing. I'm going to be frame by framing this thing all evening trying to figure it out

What you're referring to is probably a lack of motion blur on the frames, which also makes sense. When animating in CG you generally have the computer simulate the motion blur you see when shooting an object on a video/film camera, while in stopmotion animation that blur doesn't exist because you have two still photographs that you're showing in sequence to create the illusion of animation (unless you blur it in post). I'd be interested to read that thread to see what he gets into.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, that's awesome. Never thought I'd be this stoked for an animated Spider-Man movie, but here we are.
TCTTS
AG
This is a great sounding plot. Between this and White Boy Rick, McConaughey is going to have himself a nice little fall campaign...

FancyKetchup14
AG
TC do you have a top 10 you're looking forward to this year? Looks like the next 6 months will see me in the theater quite a bit.
TCTTS
AG
Good question. On pedigree/subject matter alone, without having seen footage yet for roughly half of these (and based on the footage we have seen), I'd say something along these lines...

01. First Man
02. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
03. Ad Astra
04. Sicario: Day of the Soldado
05. The Old Man & the Gun
06. Hot Summer Nights
07. Creed II
08. Widows
09. Holmes & Watson
10. Backseat

Runners up:

11. A Star is Born
12. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
13. Bohemian Rhapsody
14. If Beale Street Could Talk
15. Newsflash
16. Where'd You Go, Bernadette
17. BLACKkKLANSMAN
18. Untitled Noah Baumbach Project
19. Beautiful Boy
20. The Front Runner
21. Aquaman
22. Serenity
23. The Girl in the Spider's Web
24. White Boy Rick
25. Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
schmendeler
AG
How did I miss hearing about Ad Astra? That cast tho.
TCTTS
AG
It's super under the radar for the time being. I'm thinking we have to get a trailer at some point this summer, though. It basically sounds like Apocalypse Now set in space. Brad Pitt. Tommy Lee Jones. And apparently James Gray, the director, is striving to shoot the most "hyper realistic" space film to date. Cannot wait.
TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.