*** JUSTICE LEAGUE ***

111,458 Views | 1009 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
azulAg said:

IMO the dark undertones of DC is what makes it so much better than marvel. The last marvel movie that was somewhat dark was the punisher 2004. All the people that complained about it being too dark in BvS are now *****ing about it being too light hearted. They should just let snyder have free reign and let him do what he wants. Also affleck didnt feel like batman in this film compared to BvS

Movies can be dark and good or light hearted and good. DC's problem isn't tone, it's that they are strictly reactionary and have no identity, at all. They still, after all these years, don't have any idea how to do this.
MooreTrucker
AG
It's all good. Esp. the tipsy part.
wangus12
AG
israeliag said:

Well, I guess here's to hoping for a Flashpoint reboot where they keep Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, and Jason Momoa. Everyone else they could recast. Though I liked Affleck as Batman, he gone. I also liked Cavil, but they f-ed up Superman too bad to bring him back (to not fault of Cavil, IMO).
Saw it this evening and I liked it well enough. Much more so than I liked BvS. Agreed with pretty much everything you said. It jumps around a lot to start, but with having to basically explain every backstory.

And if the DC Universe manages to survive this, please for the love of God recast Luthor you ****ing *******s.
SeattleAgJr
made 2MM less than estimates.

ouch.
Mr. Nobody
I thought it was fine, but the universe screwed up making Superman start out the way they did. This light and fluffy tone is what MoS should have been. WW is fine, Batman was fine, but this movie redeems SM for the universe IMO.

I was fine with how Flash and Cyborg were introduced, they're still so new at their games anwyay. Aquaman is just lucky to be revelent and I don't really care there.

It's hanging by a thread, but I thought it did what it had to do to keep the universe together. Batman needs some work tho.
wesag
AG
Vanity Fair tore this movie a new butthole

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/justice-league-review
Sex Panther
AG
Wow... what a ****ing laughably terrible movie.

I'm the biggest Batman homer in the world. And I love comic book movies. I'll give anything a pass if I'm entertained... but that was garbage. I don't even know where to begin.

Such a mess. TERRIBLE effects, and with that budget?! How is that possible??

No depth and so rushed. Cheesy dialogue, wooden delivery (especially Gadot who for some reason the world loves even though she's the lamest character ever)...

Didn't crack one smile at The Flash. In fact, I kind of hated him... Deathstroke (who is actually a really cool character) looked like an above average Cosplayer at Comic Con, and his gray dye job was the final cherry on top of this pathetic movie.

And for the love of God Snyder, just knock the slo-mo off. Yes it was cool in 300, but it's over now.

I was more entertained by Suicide Squad than this movie. I cant believe I'm even typing that.

The only thing I kind of liked actually believe it or not, was Steppenwolf. I was rooting for him by the end. Although the Mother Boxes came off as lazy and a rip of the Infinity Stones.

DC you are so bad at this. Just stop.
SeattleAgJr
Sex Panther said:

Although the Mother Boxes came off as lazy and a rip of the Infinity Stones.

The funny thing is that Thanos is a ripoff of Darkseid, and the Infinity Stones came after the Mother Boxes
fig96
AG
Saw it earlier this evening and it was better than I expected, light years better than BvS (not that that's too hard). I found Flash generally entertaining (if not kind of off tone for the rest of film), but they again showed that they can't figure out how to make stories with multiple characters work.

VFX aside (Steppenwolf's design was nice but he looked straight out of a video game), the first 30 minutes or so were just so clunky. Here's a piece of this person's story, now this person, and this guy, but we're not really going to interconnect them at all.

Even the attempts at connecting didn't really flow. They talk about Flash and how they need to get him and know that he visits his dad, we see him visiting his dad and then...we cut away for other random scenes before we come back to Bruce visiting him at his apartment.

The third act was actually fairly entertaining, though the overall tone was still really odd. Aquaman was entertaining but I never quite got what his powers were as we never really covered him in detail.

I enjoyed it for a popcorn flick, but it paled in storytelling compared to the MCU films.
fig96
AG
azulAg said:

IMO the dark undertones of DC is what makes it so much better than marvel. The last marvel movie that was somewhat dark was the punisher 2004. All the people that complained about it being too dark in BvS are now *****ing about it being too light hearted. They should just let snyder have free reign and let him do what he wants. Also affleck didnt feel like batman in this film compared to BvS
The fact that Marvel doesn't just have one tone is what makes them so much better than DC. And Doctor Strange was actually rather dark, Winter Soldier sure was as was Civil War, Ant-Man went heist film while Ragnarok and the Guardians films are more fun. Also, calling Punisher "somewhat dark" is maybe just a hair biased

Also, why is "dark" necessarily good? IT's great if it's good for the characters, but if it doesn't work you shouldn't do it.

DC went dark with MoS and BvS but the tone wasn't very appropriate, they tried to imitate what worked with the Nolan Batfilms while not understanding why they worked. People aren't *****ing about a film being light hearted in this case, the problem is the inconsistency in tone within the film.

And giving Snyder free reign hasn't been that successful in the past, he can craft some beautiful scenes but isn't a great storyteller.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther said:

...Cheesy dialogue, wooden delivery (especially Gadot who for some reason the world loves even though she's the lamest character ever)...

No, no, no SP, you just don't get it. She's supposed to be wooden in her delivery because she's from that magical island, see. Oh did I mention she's hot? Not that that's why I think Wonder Woman was a cinematic masterpiece.........but she is hot.

Man, is she hot.

mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Quote:

And for the love of God Snyder, just knock the slo-mo off. Yes it was cool in 300, but it's over now.

Annoyed me so much in the WW move. It wasn't Snyder, but that scene when she jumps in to the building for the fight with Nazis was non-stop slow-mo cuts for the entire scene. It's okay for the end knock-out moment, but the entire fight got really old really fast.
AgMarauder04
AG
Saw it. Giant ball of meh.
israeliag
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

Annoyed me so much in the WW move. It wasn't Snyder, but that scene when she jumps in to the building for the fight with Nazis was non-stop slow-mo cuts for the entire scene. It's okay for the end knock-out moment, but the entire fight got really old really fast.
I'll take slo-mo in every movie if it means we never again get shaky cam.
israeliag
AG

Quote:

And if the DC Universe manages to survive this, please for the love of God recast Luthor you ****ing *******s.
A Lex Luthor origin film might be the only worth while villain-centric film. Basically Citizen Cane set in a comic-book world. Would be an interesting way to bootstart the next iteration of a DCCU.

Speaking of next iteration - assuming they wrap things up after Aquaman and WW2, when could we realistically expect the first film in the next DC universe, or do they just go independent universes? And are they scrapping Shazam! ?
SeattleAgJr
They have not managed to home run with their A list heroes, no sense going to the B & C teams.

And no, Wonder Woman was not a GREAT film. It is good. Not great. Too many people and critics fawning over it.

Scrap Shazam. scrap Cyborg

No one cares.

Keep it batman, superman, WW. An occasional Flash, Aquaman. Maybe a Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

That is it.

No Hawkmen.
No 2nd tier characters.

They blew it. Either this or a full reboot.
MooreTrucker
AG
I'm not THAT familiar with the story, but isn't the basic premise of Flashpoint a big reboot anyway? If so, I think that would be a good re-starting point.

Then a line of "introduction" stories for the main characters that haven't already been done - Flash, GA, GL, Cyborg, etc. No need to do Superman, Batman, or WW.

THEN a JL movie.

Hmmmmm.....that sounds familiar.....
AliasMan02
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I'm not THAT familiar with the story, but isn't the basic premise of Flashpoint a big reboot anyway? If so, I think that would be a good re-starting point.

Rebooting would require them to own mistakes and be a big embarrassment. Not sure they have it in them.

I told a friend yesterday that the next DC movie should start like Patton, with Geoff Johns walking into the stage in front of the DC logo and apologizing for the DCEU and explaining that the movie you're about to watch is a standalone film and that nothing ties together.
fig96
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

They have not managed to home run with their A list heroes, no sense going to the B & C teams.

And no, Wonder Woman was not a GREAT film. It is good. Not great. Too many people and critics fawning over it.

Scrap Shazam. scrap Cyborg

No one cares.

Keep it batman, superman, WW. An occasional Flash, Aquaman. Maybe a Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

That is it.

No Hawkmen.
No 2nd tier characters.

They blew it. Either this or a full reboot.
Yeah, WW, was entertaining and generally well done but gets some extra love for it's cultural relevance. And while there's no denying that and I'm thrilled that little girls have this awesome female character to look up to, that doesn't make it a great film.

As per where to go from here, I'm not sure what the best path forward is. What I find interesting is the low box office despite it being an immensely better film than BvS.

I think the better question than where they go is "what exactly is broken and how do they fix it?"
MooreTrucker
AG
I give it extra love because Gal Gadot is gorgeous and sweet and just lovely. Still doesn't make it a great film but I love it anyway.

MooreTrucker
AG
AliasMan02 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Rebooting would require them to own mistakes and be a big embarrassment. Not sure they have it in them.

I told a friend yesterday that the next DC movie should start like Patton, with Geoff Johns walking into the stage in front of the DC logo and apologizing for the DCEU and explaining that the movie you're about to watch is a standalone film and that nothing ties together.
A Patton scene like that would be epic and hilarious.

Wouldn't using a "rebooting everything" storyline like Flashpoint alleviate some of that embarrassment, since starting over is the whole point of it?
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I give it extra love because Gal Gadot is gorgeous and sweet and just lovely. Still doesn't make it a great film but I love it anyway.
Totally acceptable in my book.

I have no problem with people loving what they love, if BvS is your favorite film ever then more power to you. But you've also got to be objective about things
AliasMan02
AG
The only problem with using Flashpoint is you need some emotional investment in Barry Allen for it to really work, I think. Obviously we don't have that.
MooreTrucker
AG
fig96 said:

MooreTrucker said:

I have no problem with people loving what they love, if BvS is your favorite film ever then more power to you. But you've also got to be objective about things
Agreed. And Gal is objectively smoking hot.
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

fig96 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Agreed. And Gal is objectively smoking hot.
#truth
Simplebay
AG
Justice League made less in its opening weekend that what The Avengers made in it's second weekend.

How do they screw the pooch this badly?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

But you've also got to be objective about things
Sure, things like the sun is coming up in the east tomorrow, or Kevin Sumlin's record has been less than fantastic - I know, that one is bordering on subjective. But in terms of these DC movies, objectivity is not a part of the equation for me. I don't consider any of them to be absolutely great movies; I still like Richard Donner's Superman far more than I've ever liked Synder's Man of Steel. I thought Justice League was a fun time at the movies. It was not a great movie by any stretch. It was too short, with not enough meat to it. Because of that, it felt rushed. There was an inconsistent feel to the movie, the result of having two different pairs of eyes behind the camera (Snyder and Whedon).

Justice League for me will go down as nothing more than a popcorn movie. It will rank behind most other movies that I saw this year, but frankly, this one will be more re-watchable simply because (a) I love these characters and (b) I can put it on the TV and let it play while I'm working on other things; I won't have to sit there and focus on what's going on like I will whenever I re-watch Blade Runner 2049, for instance.

Things I really did like about Justice League: the Wonder Woman lasso scene with Aquaman, the Flash (which I did not expect to like), and the score incorporating themes from Tim Burton's Batman and the aforementioned Man of Steel. The credits said John Williams' theme to Superman was in there, but for some reason I missed hearing that. Would have thought it would have been played when Superman made his entrance into the climactic fight with Steppenwolf.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Just got out. For me, it was about seeing the Justice League together on film. I thought it was a fun movie and caught myself smiling several times. I feel like they finally got Supes right in this movie as well. It's humorous to me how so many people are complaining about this movie not being dark enough when the complaint was that the previous movies were too dark. They even brightened up Superman's costume and his character which I thought was a huge plus. I understood the criticism of the previous movies but still enjoyed them. I really enjoyed this one.
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Imagine someone ten years ago predicting this headline. They'd have been branded as crazy. This movie has been the ultimate geek wet dream for decades. So bonkers.
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

Imagine someone ten years ago predicting this headline. They'd have been branded as crazy. This movie has been the ultimate geek wet dream for decades. So bonkers.
I'm really curious why it did so poorly right out of the gate. It wasn't great, but it was light years better than BvS.

If nothing else I got a cool pint glass...

AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

This seems....suboptimal.
AliasMan02
AG
It's done so poorly because BvS is so bad. DC is out of benefit of the doubt with critics and fans.
jackie childs
fig96 said:

AliasMan02 said:

TCTTS said:

I'm really curious why it did so poorly right out of the gate. It wasn't great, but it was light years better than BvS.

If nothing else I got a cool pint glass...

with some of the reviews I've seen, they should've run with the tagline..."we're gonna need a bigger glass"
MooreTrucker
AG
I'm just hoping the poor ticket sales means they won;t run out of those glasses before I finally get a chance to go see it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.