*** JUSTICE LEAGUE ***

111,464 Views | 1009 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "Superman" theme was not a literal translation from the Reeve films, it was more subtle and nuanced. You could hear it for about 7 seconds when Superman first showed up to fight Steppenwolf.

As for the film, it wasn't great but wasn't bad. Ultimately they stunted the character development to save time. I think they panicked a bit after the poor fan/critic reception of BvS and not only changed horses midstream, they changed streams. This was a two-movie concept that they whittled down to one film. We lost Cyborg and Flash backstory in the transition. Cyborg really suffered from lack of development.

Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin do a pretty solid/humorous review of the film and I mostly agreed with the pros and cons(NSFW):
(Actual review starts around 13min mark)

swimmerbabe11
OMG HIS REVIEW ON PUNISHER SO FAR IS MY LIFE.
M.C. Swag
AG
That new Avengers trailer is dope. Marvel about to cash in on an investment they've meticulously planned and built for a decade.

Take notes DC. #NoShortcuts
Quad Dog
AG
Funny how all the character work in MCU matters. The Avenger Infinity trailer didn't blow me away, but I still care about the characters. It has some of the same complaints about Justice League and Avengers 2 (bland villain with no backstory we care about, heroes fighting off hordes of nameless/faceless bad guys). But I still care.
jackie childs
if you're a true, hardcore DC fan, why would you want this version of JL to do well? it's not like DC is going to shelf these characters/properties.

i think the best case for DC is basically scrap everything other than wonder woman and start fresh. develop characters and make movies that make sense for that character, instead of trying to make all movies the same tone/tenor.

with marvel indicating that they have 20 more films still on the way, the superhero movie isn't going anywhere anytime soon...it's not too late for DC.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

This x 1000. These characters don't NEED to be in a movie together. Just have a Batman franchise. Have a Superman franchise. And have a Wonder Woman franchise. All different realities/universes. Audiences are smart enough to understand the separate storylines.

Granted, it's probably too late for any of this now, and shareholders basically demanded WB have their own MCU, but Man of Steel should have always remained its own thing. They should have done a standard sequel for it in 2015 (in place of BvS), basically the same Wonder Woman movie in 2017, and then rebooted Batman with Matt Reeves in 2019 (a full seven years after The Dark Knight Rises). No one gives a sh*t about Aquaman, and WB could have left everything else to TV (The Flash, Arrow, etc.). Batman v Superman was a stupid, knee-jerk reaction to MoS barely underperforming, one that might very well have ruined DC for years to come.
AgMarauder04
AG
Same argument could go for Marvel. The answers isn't to keep them separate. A good script, having familiarity with all the characters, and a good director would have also been a success.

TCTTS
AG
No doubt.

But at the same time, everything DC does in that regard just feels like an imitation, simply by being second. Even if these movies would have been better, it all just invites too much comparison. It would have been far more novel to still have a ****-ton of superhero movies, but keep them in their own, separate worlds.
Aggies76
AG
I agree that these characters don't belong in the same universe. I really liked the original idea of pulling Superman out of the comics and putting him in the real world. I think Man of Steel tried to do that and it had a science fiction feel to it that I liked. But putting all these other weird characters into his story would be a stretch....

Having said this, I saw Justice League tonight and LOVED it. I had to put myself back in the "comic book" frame of mind. To me it was every bit as much fun as the Avengers. Loved the humor and the camaraderie of the characters.

I had almost decided not to see it based on the opinions on this thread, but I'm so glad I did. I'm looking forward to a sequel, which sadly will never happen according to most of you.

TCTTS
AG
For me, I guess what all this comes down to is that I hate watching Batman fight aliens. That's pretty much it. As someone who's admitteldy only read a handful of comics, that aspect feels so out of place to me and makes anything else he does or fights seem less important.

But yeah, I absolutely agree with and love the approach they took for Man of Steel. That movie was so close to being amazing, and exactly what I've always wanted from a Superman movie. I just hated the muted colors, disliked the handheld camera approach, and most of all, thought a couple key story aspects were really boneheaded. Same basic story/cast/score with just one more pass on the script, and a director who would have injected the movie with a lot more color and a bit more fun, and MoS could have easily been an all-timer for me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I guess what all this comes down to is that I hate watching Batman fight aliens.
I get that, but I had the same thought when watching The Avengers and seeing Captain America - who up to that point had been a WWII character - fighting aliens. Seemed wrong, but of course, the movie was so good that it never bothered me after that initial thought.

I think it was crystal clear what DC/Warners was doing was an attempt to catch up to Marvel, and that was quite likely going to be the primary reason they would fail. Now, I for one have enjoyed the DC universe movies (not so much on Suicide Squad), but despite that, I recognize that these movies have not been as well received as most of the Marvel movies. I wish someone at DC/Warners would get their head out of their ass and see just what it is that they are sitting on and do it right; spend the time and money to build their universe. And it should not matter that no one gives a crap about Aquaman or any of their other characters - who in their right mind would have ever thought that a movie about an Earthling, a green gal, a big guy, a raccoon and a tree would have been so good (other than Marvel)? If done right, people will see these movies.
fig96
AG
DC is also just completely ignoring their storytelling history in making these films.

Marvel's films are largely based on arcs from the comics, great stories that work that lots of people are familiar with.

DC has some amazing stories they could tell, especially in the Batman universe, but they can't seem to get our of their own way to use them.

As SP and I have mentioned many times, A Court of Owls film could be amazing.
double aught
AG
Quote:

who in their right mind would have ever thought that a movie about an Earthling, a green gal, a big guy, a raccoon and a tree would have been so good (other than Marvel)?
It's so impressive that they were able to pull that off.

Even Iron Man was maybe a third tier comic character when they started these movies. Most people forget that. So impressive.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

who in their right mind would have ever thought that a movie about an Earthling, a green gal, a big guy, a raccoon and a tree would have been so good (other than Marvel)?
It's so impressive that they were able to pull that off.

Even Iron Man was maybe a third tier comic character when they started these movies. Most people forget that. So impressive.
Honestly, as a non-comics reader growing up, I don't believe I really knew about Iron Man, other than he was a comic book character. I knew of Cap, and I knew of the Hulk from the 70s TV series. On the other hand, I knew a good bit about Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Most of these Marvel characters were simply not known to the majority of people out there prior to 2008 when Iron Man first came out - and now they're knocking it out of the park with a wise-cracking raccoon!
Forum Troll
AG
Aggies76 said:

I agree that these characters don't belong in the same universe. I really liked the original idea of pulling Superman out of the comics and putting him in the real world. I think Man of Steel tried to do that and it had a science fiction feel to it that I liked. But putting all these other weird characters into his story would be a stretch....

Having said this, I saw Justice League tonight and LOVED it. I had to put myself back in the "comic book" frame of mind. To me it was every bit as much fun as the Avengers. Loved the humor and the camaraderie of the characters.

I had almost decided not to see it based on the opinions on this thread, but I'm so glad I did. I'm looking forward to a sequel, which sadly will never happen according to most of you.

This board can be overly critical sometimes. Just look at the audience ratings on rotten tomatoes, huge difference between what you read here/critics.
PatAg
AG
MooreTrucker said:

toucan82 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Why couldn't the MI folks CGI the mustache back in?

Or literally make a mustache and glue it to his dumb face.
This isn't that hard to fake.
it's kind of like "Office Space"... why should the MI people change if JL is the movie that sucked?
What's the Office Space story?
I know other people already addressed this, but this might be the craziest interchange I've seen on these forums in a while.
PatAg
AG
I'd probably give this a 6/10. MUCH MUCH better than Suicide Squad. The bad news is, I will now expect at least this level from future DC movies, and unless something drastic happens with creative, I doubt that will ever happen.
fig96
AG
Justice League Was Apparently Micromanaged Even More Than We Thought

Quote:

When Whedon first signed on to help with Justice League, Snyder was still working on the project. The Batman v. Superman director then exited entirely due to a family tragedyleaving Whedon to complete the project. Justice League producer Charles Roven told The Washington Times that Whedon re-shot "15, 20 percent of the movie," but some rumors (and the tell-tale digitally-altered lip on star Henry Cavill) indicate Whedon's contributions may have been much higher. He certainly had the unenviable task of creating a coherent narrative while, thanks to the studio's order to bring Justice League in under two hours, hacking nearly an hour of Snyder's original footage out of the completed project.

Flashdiaz
AG
Warner Brothers are doing what the Joker and Lex Luthor couldn't do... they're killing Batman and Superman.
JuliusCaesarAggie
DC is getting an unfair amount of criticism for these movies' failures when that criticism should be leveled at Warner Bros. No one blames Marvel when a Sony or Fox Marvel movie sucks.

Look at every other form of media besides movies. Animated film, animated TV, live action TV, comic book storylines and sales, DC is killing it in those departments because they have pretty much total control. They desperately need to go the Marvel route and be allowed to start their own movie studio, but alas Warner Bros.
fig96
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

DC is getting an unfair amount of criticism for these movies' failures when that criticism should be leveled at Warner Bros. No one blames Marvel when a Sony or Fox Marvel movie sucks.

Look at every other form of media besides movies. Animated film, animated TV, live action TV, comic book storylines and sales, DC is killing it in those departments because they have pretty much total control. They desperately need to go the Marvel route and be allowed to start their own movie studio, but alas Warner Bros.
While you're not wrong on the blame being much more on WB, folks would absolutely be talking about Marvel if Guardians or Thor had sucked. The split off to Sony and Fox is a unique case.
Tmoneyag99
AG
The Superman theme actually first showed up when he was brought back to life and started taking on the rest of the Justice League. As he was throwing punches next to his fallen monument, you hear about 3-4 seconds of the theme.
PatAg
AG
6/10 being mediocre but enjoyable
AliasMan02
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

Different situation. Sonny and Fox license Marvel properties. WB owns DC.
SeattleAgJr
Not going to crack $200MM in its third weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty crazy. To put that in perspective, Last Jedi will likely break that in 3 days.
TajMaballer
AG
The Last Jedi miiiight outgross Justice League's entire domestic box office run in its opening weekend.
Tmoneyag99
AG
This blows my mind. Justice League is not perfect, but it's a heck of alot more enjoyable than BvS and SS combined. All my co-workers I've talked to have really enjoyed the movie. I went in with pretty low expectations and walked out entertained. Apparently, the damage done by BvS was just too much to try and overcome.
hurleyag
AG
I was really hoping Bruce would have said "Hi Martha" when him and Clark were back at the farm at the end of the movie.
Forum Troll
AG
15 comic book movies with higher critic RT scores than Justice League (41% critic score and 82% audience score). Interesting article whether you liked or disliked the movie (more enraging if you liked it).

https://www.cbr.com/superhero-movies-better-score-justice-league/
Tmoneyag99
AG
Forum Troll said:

15 comic book movies with higher critic RT scores than Justice League (41% critic score and 82% audience score). Interesting article whether you liked or disliked the movie (more enraging if you liked it).

Power Rangers?! A better movie?! These critics should be shut down.

PatAg
AG
Maybe 3 of those movies were better, imo.
fig96
AG
Tmoneyag99 said:

Forum Troll said:

Power Rangers?! A better movie?! These critics should be shut down.

I actually expected Power Rangers to be far worse than it was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.