*** JUSTICE LEAGUE ***

110,525 Views | 1009 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Simplebay said:

bought tickets for the opening night showing. the theater was half sold out. IMAX.

this is gonna suck
That's really interesting. Early tracking has it opening to a monster $110-125 million opening weekend.

Weirdly, that's about what Thor: Ragnarok is tracking towards also. Never would have imagined that a third Thor movie would open to about the same numbers as a Justice League movie. That's either really cool for Marvel, or really sad for DC.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You have to understand that art is subjective. Just because you work in the industry doesn't make your opinion any more objective, nor any film critic's.

Some people hated on Dunkirk for lack of character development, and people used to hate on 2001: A Space Odyssey back in the day for similar reasons.

Some writers may consider them "objectively" badly written films, but, them being writers doesn't make their opinions any more "right" than you, me, or anyone else's.
TCTTS
AG
gravy97 said:

Quote:

You can like something that's bad all day long
I think comments like this are what get under mine, and others skin... you are telling us we are idiots for liking something that you deem 'bad'. But if I enjoy it... doesn't that make it good by my standard? Why does my movie going experience have to line up with your standard of what makes a good movie? I go to movies to have fun, check reality at the door, and be entertained. If I leave having had a good time with my son, then I think its a good movie. To later read about how wrong I was to enjoy the movie b/c the plot was bad, the dialog was all wrong, they should have done this or that, the music was horrible... blah blah blah... I may simply leave happy b/c i had a few laughs, saw a few good fights, saw some hero's come to life.
No. That's my whole point.

First of all, I'm not telling anyone they're idiots for liking anything. This isn't personal, so it shouldn't be taken that way. I'm just saying there are certain elements that are immune to opinion in the same way you can't have opinion about what the exact degree of temperature is outside. You can like 60 degree weather. That's your opinion. But you can't have an opinion as to whether the temperature is anything other than 60 degrees. Movies, at their core, are no different. There ARE right and wrong answers when it comes to certain plot mechanics, sets ups, pay offs, performances, etc. It's obviously MUCH more nuanced, sure, but movies aren't these 100% subjective things.

And look, I love plenty of bad movies. But I've never felt that my love of them automatically makes them "good." That's quite presumptuous, don't you think?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Civil War was funny, and mostly enjoyable, but to me it felt like a mess of a plot, with very little stakes or repurcussions. A bunch of superheroes smashed together on screen and cracking jokes while fighting can be fun, but that movie was forgettable to me.

Personally, I found both Man of Steel and BvS to be better movies. I know most critics will strongly disagree with that, but nobody can tell me that they can throw all three movies into a spreadsheet and give me hard numbers proving that Civil War is the better movie. That's just not how it works.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

There ARE right and wrong answers when it comes to certain plot mechanics
Absolutely false.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Could you explain the plot of Mulholland Drive and what are the "right" things it did? Because I'd love to know why that movie is considered such a great movie by so many people. (I think it's trash.)
gravy97
AG
Quote:

There ARE right and wrong answers when it comes to certain plot mechanics, sets ups, pay offs, performances, etc.
See...i don't agree with that. There are things in someone's opinion that was right and wrong... but its still just an opinion. It is not an absolute measurement that can be scientifically measured and proven. One cannot claim that a movie is too long as a fact... b/c that is an opinion, to someone else, it may be just right. One can claim, that movie was over 3 hours in length... b/c that is a fact and can be measured.

Stating something is right or wrong assumes there is an absolute standard. And to casual movie goers, your standard of right and wrong does not apply.
TCTTS
AG
Dude. Seriously.

So any choice anyone makes on any given movie is ALL in the eye of the beholder? That's such pretentious, artsy nonsense.

Craft requires years of study and a deep understanding of certain, objective practices that have been established over eons of story telling. There ARE rights and wrongs when it comes to the mechanics of story telling and movie making as a whole.
TCTTS
AG
gravy97 said:

Stating something is right or wrong assumes there is an absolute standard. And to casual movie goers, your standard of right and wrong does not apply.

Would you say this to a mechanic? A mathematician? A coach? Because it's no different than saying that to a writer or director in certain instances.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
See, I think it's more pretentious to think there are absolute right and wrong ways to make movies.
gravy97
AG
So if there are such absolute 'rights and wrongs', why do so many opt to ignore this eon's old skill and make 'bad' movies? Are only a select few able to access this absolute standard?

TCTTS
AG
You're vastly generalizing my point. I'm not saying there's a right and wrong way to simply just "make a movie." I'm saying there are right and wrong ways to execute a handful of very certain, very specific story telling elements and techniques.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Craft requires years of study
Spielberg never went to film school.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Would you say this to a mechanic? A mathematician? A coach? Because it's no different than saying that to a writer or director in certain instances.
Those are very different.

A movie can go in different directions, even imagine and film alternate endings.

A team, a vehicle, a math equation....It's either wrong or right, broke or fixed, a win or loss...There is no opinion.

A mechanic cant try to convince me my car is fixed, when it won't start.
TCTTS
AG
gravy97 said:

So if there are such absolute 'rights and wrongs', why do so many opt to ignore this eon's old skill and make 'bad' movies? Are only a select few able to access this absolute standard?
Yes! That's exactly what separates a good director from a bad one; a top-of-their game doctor from someone who fails medical school: a top lawyer from someone who failed the bar. That's my whole point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But I would love to hear, in your opinion, the right and wrong plot mechanics used in a variety of different movies?

I would assume that a movie like 2001 probably breaks every convention that you'd have for a good plot. And Mulholland Drive. For the love of God, please explain that one to me. (I don't know your opinion on that one, I am just assuming you have a strong one either way.)
TCTTS
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

Those are very different.

A movie can go in different directions, even imagine and film alternate endings.

A team, a vehicle, a math equation....It's either wrong or right, broke or fixed, a win or loss...There is no opinion.

A mechanic cant try to convince me my car is fixed, when it won't start.

A movie as a whole, yes. But again, I'm talking about very specific, granular choices.
AgGrad99
AG
not just the whole movie, but choices within them as well.

But again, if someone likes the movie 'as a whole', and you think it's bad, whose 'right'?
gravy97
AG
Quote:

A movie as a whole, yes. But again, I'm talking about very specific, granular choices.
And I think thats a major difference. Many can enjoy the movie as a whole and deem it 'good' and not nit pick details or get bogged down with them so that they can't enjoy it and deem it 'bad'
AgGrad99
AG
My wife would say they made the right choice for Aquaman. She's all......dang son....
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Ha, there are SO MANY other and better ways to study filmmaking. I would encourage anyone who wants to get into filmmaking NOT to go to film school, in fact.
gravy97
AG
Quote:

Ha, there are SO MANY other and better ways to study filmmaking. I would encourage anyone who wants to get into filmmaking NOT to go to film school, in opinion.
FIFY
AgGrad99
AG
gravy97 said:

Quote:

Ha, there are SO MANY other and better ways to study filmmaking. I would encourage anyone who wants to get into filmmaking NOT to go to film school, in opinion.
FIFY
Thats the same reason I dont think doctors should go to med school,. You learn by doing
israeliag
AG
Complicating this whole argument for DC (regardless of where you stand on the objectivity or subjectivity of a good film) is whether or not the film delivered what people wanted from it. In my opinion that's where BvS and MoS suffered, and what made Wonder Woman succeed.

That Superman in MoS killed and was a part of the destruction of Metropolis, and that Batman murdered in BvS were not what people wanted (it's not exactly what I wanted, but given those choices, I feel that they told the story around those choices quite well and made those important points, if not the main thematic point, of BvS).
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

That Superman in MoS killed and was a part of the destruction of Metropolis
Isn't this the case for nearly all superhero movies?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Ha, there are SO MANY other and better ways to study filmmaking. I would encourage anyone who wants to get into filmmaking NOT to go to film school, in fact.
See, I agree. Specifically because every writer and director has their own way of telling stories, and I enjoy their different/unique ways of storytelling.

Tarantino, for example. I would think he breaks a lot of the plot rules.
YouBet
AG
AgGrad99 said:

My wife would say they made the right choice for Aquaman. She's all......dang son....
I'm pretty sure my wife fantasizes about him.
gravy97
AG
YouBet said:

AgGrad99 said:

I'm pretty sure my wife fantasizes about him.
I'm pretty sure I do too... wait... i mean... is that a right or wrong choice?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So what I've learned here is that there must be one of those "for Dummies" books on the finer points of writing a movie that does not violate all of these rules.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Could you explain the plot of Mulholland Drive and what are the "right" things it did? Because I'd love to know why that movie is considered such a great movie by so many people. (I think it's trash.)
Is that the one with Naomi Watts and Laura Harring?

Because I sure as hell can think of one thing that makes that movie great. A masterpiece, even. Oh, yeah.

BTW, I skipped the rest of the posts on this page because it looked stupid.
MooreTrucker
AG
I've been reading this argument from an outside perspective and it's very interesting. What are those granular aspects? You talk about them and how they're measurable and all but don't explain further. I. That respect how is a filmmaker like a mechanic for example?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Really wanted to hear his opinion on those movies I mentioned but I think he either gave up or lost interest.

Was legit enjoying the debate.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Yeah. I was enjoying the debate, so in the interest of keeping it going, here is my 2 cents.

There are absolutely rules to telling a story. We have been telling stories for 9,000 years and we have tried and true methods.

You tell a story in chronological order and then one of the following story types: 1.Overcoming the Monster, 2.Rags to Riches, 3.The Quest, 4.Voyage and Return, 5.Rebirth, 6.Comedy and 7.Tragedy.

Based on the medium, novel, movie, comic book, etc. there are certain elements like color, tone, language that are used to convey ideas. Like dark being associated with evil like Darth Vader.

Now, what the great artists do, is they can bend or break a "rule" and it is the act of breaking the rule that becomes the element of interest.

For example Nolan seems to be obsessed with breaking the rules on telling stories in chronological order. Momento, Interstellar, Dunkirk are all experiments in manipulating Chronology to add different meaning to the story.

2001 seems to me to more it ages to be a story about technology and its relationship to civilization. We start with basic tools and we end with A.I. But that is all debatable.

As for Mulholland Drive, I got nothing because I dislike movies that are too far out in the weeds like that. But the Lynch movies generally hinge on symbolism and playing on our perceptions of the symbols.

Now to the DC movies, my biggest issue is Synder is obsessed with comic books as moder mythology and then we get hamfisted nonsense about rather or not Superman is a god or Jesus or a man or whatever and then we spend the whole movies trying to determine the answer. Further part of me wonders if the whole Martha debacle in BvS was to make the point that Jesus was a man with a Mom. and by Jesus I mean Superman. But part of what makes BvS such a mess is that Synder tries to break too many of the rules without being skilled enough to do it for a purpose.

This is also what plagues other DC movies. Compare Suicide Squad to the Wild Bunch. Both movies question what it means to be a hero, but one of them is a classic because it keeps other story rules intact so we can focus on that question, while Suicide Squad tries to meander around the question and tell a bunch of useless side stories and ultimately does not want to make the anti-heroes true anti-hero.

The one "good" D. C. Movie Wonder Woman is a very conventional movie and it works for it. And shocker of shocker it was enjoyable. This what Marvel has hit on. Conventional movies are generally more enjoyable because you can focus on perfecting each element and everything comes off polished.

Spielburg is a great director because he generally follows the rules and when it breaks them it is for a purpose and that purposes resonates because the rule being broken is clear. The red dress in Schiendler's List is a great example. Also in Jurassic Park, making the T-Rex attack the Raptors as a quasi hero at the end is a nice reminder that the Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are not the Monsters of the movie, but rather unbrindle ambition of man is the monster. This element is brought back in Jurassic World with the T-Rex vs Fake-Rex, but in Jurassic World it felt hollow because it was tacked on to a bunch of other threads in the movie. Too many plot threads is bad.

What I think makes marvel better than DC is they are making movies that are easy to process, that are well made, and keep each movie to one "big idea". Guardians of the Galaxy spent two movies contemplating what constitutes a family. D.C. wants to throw in a bunch of big ideas and never explores them and when they do, they resolve in absurdity. Except for Wonder Woman.

Now, this entire debate about the rules generally occurs in criticism of art and not by the artists themselves. But that is not always true. The best sports analogy I can think of is Brett Farve vs Peyton Manning. Peyton knows the rules to being a successful QB, can tell you he rules, follows the rules and has lots of success. Brett Farve goes out and let's it rip. He breaks rules and conventions and has success. But coaches and commentators can break down both QBs and explain why each style works and if they can't they will break down their own conventions and the create new rules to explain it.

Same with story telling. Yes it is evolving. But that does not mean there are not rules.

Sorry for this. Too much Aggie Football tonight and bored riding back to Houston.
jr15aggie
AG
There are absolutely rules to... posting on a message board!
MooreTrucker
AG
That was awesome! Thank you very much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.