*** JUSTICE LEAGUE ***

111,460 Views | 1009 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brick Tamland
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The fact that there are 2 post credit scenes tells me DC is actually trying to do something right.

But i just can't buy Lex in this universe. Snyder **** the bed so bad with this franchise that the issues run deep. I cannot believe he was allowed anywhere near the WB after the crap he pulled 3 movies ago.
FL_Ag1998
AG
double aught said:

That's kind of like saying the internet is a waste of time. Or TV. Or books. It depends.
aggie_fan13
AG
Saw it last night, I thought BvS was better, didn't like all the humor they threw in. Expected it to be more dark and gritty. It also felt pretty rushed. I don't put this on snyder he directed Watchmen which was great. I blame the studios for trying to be like marvel . Would love to see snyders version of the film unedited
some men you just cant reach ...
TCTTS
AG
aggie_fan13
AG
This really pissed me off, so many scenes cut
some men you just cant reach ...
SeattleAgJr

I freaking hate "list" articles where they only have one per page.

Such bull**** just so they can serve up more ads.

but yes, it is obvious the reshoots modified many parts of the movie.
SeattleAgJr
also looks like the movie will only make $180MMish this weekend.

Worldwide.

And it opened in China day/date.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, screw those guys needing to make money in order to give you something for free.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Yeah, screw those guys needing to make money in order to give you something for free.
glad you agree!
Philip J Fry
AG
TCTTS said:

They would probably make more if they weren't so obnoxious about it.
TCTTS
AG
On a Saturday afternoon at one of the nicest, most popular theaters in LA, five minutes before showtime, and the theater isnt even a quarter full...
TCTTS
AG
Edit: Double Post.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm hoping for the full, uncut "Snyder cut" on bluray. The editing was all over the place and it was easy to see a ton of footage was chopped.
SeattleAgJr
So if this opens to $185MM-$200MM, is there any conceivable way it has more than a 3x multiplier?

Could this thing stall out at $700MM or less?

That is inconceivable,m even with Snyder part of the picture.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

On a Saturday afternoon at one of the nicest, most popular theaters in LA, five minutes before showtime, and the theater isnt even a quarter full...
All of the Marvel heroes, except maybe Black Panther (I am tainted by his comic version where he is always an arrogant ******bag on the level of Namor), are likeable, and many of them are funny.

The DC movie heroes are... dour, serious, and definitely not funny.

Hard to root for characters you do not empathize with.
AliasMan02
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

TCTTS said:

All of the Marvel heroes, except maybe Black Panther (I am tainted by his comic version where he is always an arrogant ******bag on the level of Namor), are likeable, and many of them are funny.

The DC movie heroes are... dour, serious, and definitely not funny.

Hard to root for characters you do not empathize with.
Flash is definitely funny. Superman isn't funny, but certainly isn't (always) dour.
AggieLitigator
I think they did a great job with Supes this time
BigTimeAlum
AG
I thought it was much better than anyone is giving it credit for. I definitely get the criticism of Steppenwolf. But I think they tried to give the background it just didn't resonate unless you have a little bit of history of the old and new gods.

If I just take what was in the movie, he came from apocalypse to conquer the earth 5000 years ago and was defeated by coalition of the old gods the Amazons and humanity. He was exiled from apocalypse for his defeat and has waited all of this time for the mother boxes to reawaken so he could get his revenge and his rightful place back at Darkseid's side. That's what I took from backstory and would actually make for a pretty cool character with motivations. But, I don't know how many people got that because they did not do enough to explain the old gods and the new gods and apocalypse.

Five more minutes of Diana going back to Themuscara after the flame is lit to talk with her mother and you could've done it with some cool visuals and backstory and the whole movie would've come together a little bit more clearly from a villian perspective. Plus he would've really set up future films and that world of apocalypse

Murder Hornet
AG
Just got back from watching it and was pleasantly surprised. This is definitely #2 behind Wonder Woman and about on par with MoS
- Whedon did a good job of saving this one
- Was not nearly as dark and grim as I thought it would be. It was still there but more in the background
- Flash brought some good humor and I didn't hate Aquaman nearly as much as I thought I would.
- they got Superman right (the light side of the coin he shares with Batman)
- Villain was way better than suicide squad

Can't wait to see what they do with material from the post credits scene

This movie reminds me of Fran beating tu before he got fired. Doesn't look like it will do enough to save the franchise but damn if I'm not excited to see where they go from here.

Zack Snyder should never direct another movie
texagco2003
AG
I enjoyed it.

Good balance between dark/brooding and humor. The Flash was great and the way they handled Superman in this one makes me want to see Man of Steel 2.

Agree with what was said about the villain, but doesn't get in the way of this being a fun movie. Definitely worth the price of admission IMO.
Philip J Fry
AG
One thing I do give this one credit for is that Superman actually focuses on trying to save people instead of causing catastrophic damage to everything around him.
TCTTS
AG
It wasn't terrible, and it's a decent amount of fun, but it just felt so half-assed overall. Like... that's what we've been building to after 16 months of marketing? I can't believe I'm defending Batman v Superman, but it at least felt big and consequential and like an effort worthy of these characters. They tried, but just got it way wrong. This, though, almost felt like an episode of Justice League. None of it came across as bad, necessarily, just irreverent and inconsequential and rushed - like everyone was simply going through the motions.

As for specifics...

• The effects were jaw-droppingly terrible. There seriously wasn't a single exterior scene that wasn't green-screened, and everything from Steppenwolf to Themyscira to Cavill's mustache job were unbelievably distracting in their visual execution (or lack there of). Nothing about this movie felt even remotely real or weighted. Even the Bat Cave looked terrible in that scene where the team first arrived there - all green screen and just so cheap looking. I don't understand how this happens in 2017, with this kind of budget.
  • I have to disagree with the comment above about them doing a great job with Superman. I thought the exact opposite. Everything about how he was handled felt awkward to me, especially that whole sequence where he woke up and they all fought - smack dab in the middle of the city, with hardly anyone else around? It was just... off. And way too easy for the team to bring him back, for him to finish off Steppenwolf, etc.
  • The Flash was... fine. I chuckled at a couple of his lines, but overall his humor felt a bit too forced. I thought his "speed" effects were kind of lame, too. I get wanting to go a different route with the lightning and what not, but his running looked weird and something about him never really felt "fast."
  • I actually kind of liked Cyborg. He was super bland, and after this there's not a chance in hell he gets a solo film, but within the context of the movie, I guess I enjoyed his story (what little there was of it).
  • Aquaman accidentally sitting on Wonder Woman's lasso was, by far, the best bit in the entire movie.
  • These characters absolutely needed their own respective movies before this one. The Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman each had such lame, expositional exchanges with their one relative, or whoever, that basically summed up what their origin movies would have been. They probably could have kept Cyborg just for this movie, but The Flash and Aquaman definitely needed proper set-ups.

Overall, I hate to sound like a broken record, but I really hope this is the beginning of the end for the DCEU. Considering Affleck's attitude as of late, and the fact that this is bombing, all but ensures that he's not coming back, not even for a solo movie. And I just can't imagine caring about another solo Superman movie at this point, especially considering how unceremonious he felt here. WB will of course shift all their focus to Wonder Woman now, and Aquaman is still coming next year, but I have a feeling that in addition to Affleck's Batman, this is the last time we ever see these iterations of Superman, The Flash, and Cyborg. Surely those later two solo movies are canned after this. I guess Shazam will still go forward, since it's reportedly on track to shoot early next year, but beyond that, I have no clue what's going to happen. The rumor mill could get very interesting next week...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Do people seriously have this compliant? I hear it all the time but I assume its more of a joke at this point.

It was either take out Zod or let him destroy humanity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

This, though, almost felt like an episode of Justice League. None of it came across as bad, necessarily, just irreverent and inconsequential and rushed - like everyone was simply going through the motions.

I hear you, and don't disagree, but oddly this perfectly describes my feelings towards Ultron and Civil War.
TajMaballer
AG
I need a gif of Flash running at the end of the movie. It was by far unintentionally the funniest part of the movie to me.
gravy97
AG
"felt like an episode of Justice League"

You say this as I'd that is a bad thing... I also described it this way...But that is what made it fun for me.

Can someone explain the mustache thing...I mean the cgi was very noticeable....But why did he have one that he couldn't shave?
Ag Since 83
AG
He was still filming Mission Impossible 6, and his contract required him to keep the mustache for that film
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You'd think WB could ask them to film around him for a few weeks. Mustaches grow back. The amount of money they must have spent on that CGI is so stupid, for something that looked completely awful.
MooreTrucker
AG
Why couldn't the MI folks CGI the mustache back in?
swimmerbabe11
MooreTrucker said:

Why couldn't the MI folks CGI the mustache back in?

Or literally make a mustache and glue it to his dumb face.
This isn't that hard to fake.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The amount of money they must have spent on that CGI is so stupid, for something that looked completely awful.
SeattleAgJr
https://www.resetera.com/threads/community-spotlight-dceu-era-ot-crisis-on-infinite-forums.465/page-130#post-1089110
Madmarttigan
AG
Love how the audience score is completely opposite from the critic on RT.

I haven't seen this yet and don't plan to, but I really think it just goes to show that mediocre marvel movies get way more of a pass from critics versus mediocre DC movies. Critics are just WAITING to rip DC/Snyder a new one.
AGC
AG
I agree with a lot of this. What I didn't realize is just how much the other movies sucked because they lacked even mediocre comic relief (and I say that thinking Flash was part quicksilver, Spider-Man and Sheldon, but never his own character because, like you said, we weren't introduced in a prior film).
TCTTS
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/community-spotlight-dceu-era-ot-crisis-on-infinite-forums.465/page-130#post-1089110
Such a fascinating to read. Thanks for posting. Sounds like the scenes that were cut add hardly anything, while Whedon's additions helped, I guess, but were less impactful than I imagined. What an all around mess.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.