*****Tiger*****

106,380 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Even after an 82, he's still got his sense of humor using the "I'm just doing this so I don't get fined" line.

Tiger shooting 82 is like me shooting 102. If I did that, I would probably be breaking every club in my bag

What do you mean still has a sense of humor? He's always been a dick. Maybe being the last place finisher gave him a sense of humor.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, I would say he "found" vs. "still got". He also found a ****ty golf game.
Aggie1391
I guess I could have worded it better. What I was trying to say was that the old Tiger would not have been joking around after a round like this. But maybe he has started to accept the fact that he won't reach the level he used to be, hence the more laid back attitude today
birdman
Waste Management is great sponsor for Tiger's game. Cause it's garbage. Am I right folks?
Goodfield Nohit
How did he do today?
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
quote:
What hawktree said

Dude is a below average pro right now

Perhaps, but you're not being honest if you can't admit his new swing looks much better. He's going to clean the short game up, that's a given. With this improved swing history says it will likely translate to success on the course.

I stand by what I said.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's laughable that we have message board goobs that think they can evaluate the quality of Tiger's swing before/after changes by how it "looks". Is it different? Yes. Is it more capable of consistently delivering a square clubface to the ball? None of us know that by just looking at the swing.
Agnzona
I just saw a recap of his round this morning. I am a horrible golfer, however I could have helped him yesterday by taking his chip shots, wow that was like nothing I have every seen from a pro golfer ever. It was almost like he didn't care or was doing it on purpose.
cbminers
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm one of those Tiger lovers. I'm here. Rough day. The gloating when he has a bad day is a strange phenomenon.
no gloating...no need too, wake me when he's competitive again

Will do.
AgDotCom
Any comments on this?

Tiger shanking chips on Torrey Pines range while seeking advice from Billy Horschel and Pat Perez

I know every golfer does this, even the great ones. But it's just odd seeing one of the GOATs do it so often recently.

I realize he's likely to flip a switch before long, end the shanks, and go really deep at any moment. But man....if this continues for the next month or so It will be getting near "I can't believe what I'm seeing" territory.

The media is really starting to pile on. Of course, they'll be gone like a fart in a whirlwind if he starts lighting it up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Flatter swing plane that he's been trying to implement can lead to this. Won't be surprised to see him hosel rocket a full swing this weekend.

Something about old dogs and new tricks is coming to mind in regard to the big changes he's trying to make.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is Pat Perez a friend of FIGJAM's, or am I making it up? What's their relation?
ORAggieFan
I've shanked chips on the Torrey range!!!!

Looking forward to seeing him hit some shots like me on my home course.
AgDotCom
quote:
Is Pat Perez a friend of FIGJAM's, or am I making it up? What's their relation?
Wasn't Perez's dad a golf pro in San Diego? Did Phil grow up in San Diego...I think he did.
birdman
I can't imagine that Mickelson and Perez and friends. They have completely different personalities.
bagger05
AG
Call your shot now:

Anybody think he makes the cut this week at Torrey? Since he's fighting the yips and the shanks I say no...
Cavender Neutze
AG
Might be just wishing here, but I think he does. Starting on the north course could allow him to get off to a good start and give him some confidence. That's still wild to say about Tiger.
ORAggieFan
I think he squeaks in. He's comfortable at Torrey. Crazy foggy here today, at least at my house.
watty
AG
Even with his history at this course, I just don't see it. You're looking at losing at least 2, maybe more, strokes per round on basic short game shots right now. That and the fact that the full swing is still very much a work in progress, and this course is one of the toughest on Tour to hit the fairway, I just don't see it. I love Tiger, but this chipping issue is serious and he won't be competitive until it's solved.
AgDotCom
I have a strange feeling he makes the cut. My experience in life is that when you're convinced someone or some team is at their nadir, they jump out of it and prove me wrong.

There's nowhere for him to go but up. Also, I read where he's been hitting "thousands upon thousands" of chips in recent months trying to dial in his new approach to the game, and that he's not one to stray from that and go to a serviceable short game during tournament play in order to score better. I think eventually the light will go on, and it may be this weekend.

Not a Tiger fan but calling it as I see it. I'm also growing weary of the part of the media that knows nothing about the game tearing him down. Bunch of blowhards. The golf media knows what they're talking about, but the others are clueless.
watty
AG
I hope you're right, but did you see the story yesterday about Tiger shanking chips on the range and seeking out chipping advice from Billy Horschel and Pat Perez? As of yesterday, in pressure-free situations on the range, Tiger was still completely lost.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It's gonna take some time, sort of agree with some of both watty and AgDotCom.

That being said, I don't see him making the cut this week. I hope he proves me wrong.
AgDotCom
Yes, I saw that story and posted about it a few comments above yours. It's so bad that it prompts my feelings of an imminent rebound. It reminds me of panic in the stock market...everyone pulls their money out and says they'll never buy stocks again, then they lose out big when it goes back up.
watty
AG
Honestly, I don't even care about his full swing this week. I know that will come with time. Regardless of his score and his position, as a Tiger fan, I literally just want to see him avoid skulling any chips or leaving them short of the green. Simply executing short game shots, even if they aren't Tour quality, will be a success for him this week IMO. And would give me hope as a fan of his.
oldschool87
AG
Laugh at me all you want! I have 10k that says he is standing to close to the ball!

He is so bunched up it's a wonder he hits the ball at all!

His hands not just are, but have to be over a foot in front of the ball, so that his arms have room to extend and he does not hit it fat!

And O by the way, 100% explains his shanks and sudden inability to hit a sand wedge anyway but fat and chunky!

Whosoever said tiger has tinkered himself to idiocy is spot in!
bagger05
AG
Supposedly the chipping was pretty inconsistent during the Pro-Am. Sounded like it was maybe better than what it was in Phoenix but still not good.

I honestly don't think too much of the hosel rocket on the range. I hit some of my worst shots on the range when I'm practicing because I'm often not thinking about hitting the shot. Very possible (and maybe likely) that he wasn't thinking about the shot he was hitting and was instead focusing on being in a certain position in his backswing, how to shift his weight, where to position his hands, etc. I know Tiger is a technician and has technical thoughts on the course all the time, but I'm guessing like most people he has a different thought process while he's practicing.
jj9000
AG
I hope he makes the cut for no other reason than to get (2) more tournament rounds under his belt.

IMO, he's doing himself a disservice by not playing every tournament he can play.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I hope he makes the cut for no other reason than to get (2) more tournament rounds under his belt.

IMO, he's doing himself a disservice by not playing every tournament he can play.
Chipotlemonger
AG
He hit a hosel rocket on the range? Link to vid anyone?
bagger05
AG
quote:
Any comments on this?

Tiger shanking chips on Torrey Pines range while seeking advice from Billy Horschel and Pat Perez

I know every golfer does this, even the great ones. But it's just odd seeing one of the GOATs do it so often recently.

I realize he's likely to flip a switch before long, end the shanks, and go really deep at any moment. But man....if this continues for the next month or so It will be getting near "I can't believe what I'm seeing" territory.

The media is really starting to pile on. Of course, they'll be gone like a fart in a whirlwind if he starts lighting it up.
Chip, it's the link in here.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hey that looks like me! (Sometimes)
ORAggieFan
I was hitting balls 10 days ago about 10 feet in front of where Tiger is there. Too bad we can't hit off the grass like the pros.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Okay dude it's cool to know you live on Torrey. Making a point to let it be known in nearly every post is a wee bit annoying.
98Ag99Grad
AG
It seriously could be something as simple as moving an inch or two away from the ball. I don't think it's crazy to consider that at all.
watty
AG
Wild speculation here, but IF this were to continue, with no improvement, how long do you give Tiger until he and Butch Harmon finally run to each other's arms in a meadow full of flowers?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.