*****Tiger*****

106,356 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Willis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today is the first day that I have thought he is truly done. That back isn't going away. I wish him all the best, but we've seen the last of Tiger the way we knew him. I really hope I am wrong.
Baby Billy
AG
Sad times for tiger fans.. We could very well be witnessing the end of the Tiger Woods era. After today, I don't see him coming back.

He's spent the past 5-6 months rehabbing after his surgery and has been 100% for a while now. I just don't see how he ever comes back to a level where he can win a tournament. That back of his just isn't going to get any better
Mr.Bond
cbminers
AG
quote:
Sad times for tiger fans.. We could very well be witnessing the end of the Tiger Woods era. After today, I don't see him coming back.

He's spent the past 5-6 months rehabbing after his surgery and has been 100% for a while now. I just don't see how he ever comes back to a level where he can win a tournament. That back of his just isn't going to get any better
Goodfield Nohit
He needs to hook up with Dr. Galea. Again.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
watching the hole by hole replay....he made three one putts that could easily have been misses, so putting good news for the Tiger fans

chipping, one hole out and a couple (three I think, lost count) really bad chips

not hitting fairways, not hitting greens...ouch on a majors course

although people will say he was only two over (true, factual) easily could have been half a dozen over thru 11
El Chupacabra
He's done. Write the book on him as he'll never win another major.
Chipotlemonger
AG
One of the worst days for us Tiger fans since November of 2009.
LeFraud
August 2009...when he lost his mojo to some guy name Yang up in Minnesota
AgDotCom
Gotta admit I didn't see this coming, even with his past back problems. I thought this was the first comprehensive surgery he's had on his back and he had plenty of time to recover.

Like someone else said, how can you practice and play as much as he has and not felt it coming on?

Sad day, really. I wouldn't want to see anyone circle the drain the way he is. Hope this isn't permanent but it looks like it could be.
turfman80
AG
quote:
August 2009...when he lost his mojo to some guy name Yang up in Minnesota
Actually I think it was someone named Elin in Florida with her iron play.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
He's done. Write the book on him as he'll never win another tournament.

FIFY
Big Cat `93
AG
I'm not really pro- or anti-Tiger, but still, the replay of his round was tough to watch last night.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Knock on wood- I've never had back problems, so can someone who has explain this glute firing thing he kept saying yesterday? In all seriousness, this is the first time I heard someone blame a back issue on weak butt muscles.
jj9000
AG
98...Glutes and Hamstrings (and the entire posterior chain) very much contribute to lower back issues.

The weaker the posterior chain, the greater the chance for back problems.
Furlock Bones
AG
Tiger's steroid use led to his body breaking down just like ball players.
cbminers
AG
quote:
Tiger's steroid use led to his body breaking down just like ball players.

Cool story
antman8504
AG
His swing looked alot better at his tournament in December. But now everything has completely went to hell. Swing, short game, mental and physical aspects. It is tough to watch really. This year is going to be rough for Tiger again.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:

I wonder if he used to be on some serious PED's and is off now. He just looks diff (yes I realize he's aging) and appears to have much less vigor. And there's always an injury or tweak it seems. I know I do a bit of trolling against Tiger from time to time (it's a shtick i run with a few pro-Tiger friends) because it's funny to see how defensive people can be, but I honestly don't mind the guy and I am pulling for him. Money aside, I kind of feel bad for him. This has gotta be rough on him. Hope he gets it back.

If he starts juicing again, it could be a comeback story for the ages. America is begging for it.
Willis
AG
I get the glute comment from Tiger. I pulled my back a few months ago and while the pain left my back after a day or two, it traveled down and into my right glute and hamstring for over three weeks. I had to stretch for ten minutes every morning just to get enough flexibility to hastily put a sock and shoe on my foot and then come home and stretch every night to get it better. As the day goes along it "warms up" and feels fine, but holy hell was it murder in the mornings. In the beginning it would literally hurt to stand up from a sitting position because when my leg would straighten a sharp pain would shoot up my leg.
dahouse
AG
I've had surgery on two herniated discs, and several pain management-ish procedures since. It never gets better. Serviceable, yes, but not "better."

I still play 12-15 rounds per year, but I can't play on consecutive days without regretting it.

It's not so much "pain" that gets you. It's weakness/instability. Also, there's the ever present expectation in the back of your mind that knows one wrong move and boom, out again.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
Chipotlemonger
AG
Back pain sucks.
AnglerAg92
AG
So do the chip yips.
AgDotCom
quote:
I get the glute comment from Tiger. I pulled my back a few months ago and while the pain left my back after a day or two, it traveled down and into my right glute and hamstring for over three weeks. I had to stretch for ten minutes every morning just to get enough flexibility to hastily put a sock and shoe on my foot and then come home and stretch every night to get it better. As the day goes along it "warms up" and feels fine, but holy hell was it murder in the mornings. In the beginning it would literally hurt to stand up from a sitting position because when my leg would straighten a sharp pain would shoot up my leg.

This sounds very similar to Sciatica. I had it for a couple of years in my late 20's - early 30's. It came and went without warning. Most of the time I was fine, but I could be rendered almost immobile without notice. I would often wake up with it in the mornings, then stretch, and then work it out. However this was a sciatic nerve condition, not muscular...and it was in my right glute.

Watching Tiger walk yesterday reminded me exactly of what I looked like when I tried to walk.
Mr.Bond
AG
http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2015/02/11/108976880/his-back-feeling-better-tiger-plans-to-work-on-his-game-and-play-again-soon/
watty
AG
I came here to check the news after I read a headline saying "Tiger to step away from golf." Glad to see that the headline was just a poor job of attempting to change what Tiger really said. I do like that he said he won't play again until he is tournament ready. Also flag to hear Thai the injury want related to his surgery, although it doesn't change the fact that apparently we just never know if Tiger will be able to play an entire tournament without it flaring up.
El Chupacabra
Maybe I missed it, but how did steroids speed up the 'breaking down' of ball players bodies? Didn't they help them extend their careers and recover faster? Or is this just one of the ih8tgr talking points?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Steroids help muscles recover but can stress joints if overused. The increase in mass and power outpaces the ligaments ability to adapt. Also tends to be tough on the spine. I recall seeing studies done on former NFL players that were admitted users and they had higher rates of joint issues, arthritis, and back problems.
Big Cat `93
AG
The wall-to-wall coverage of this on GC last night was a bit much. I guess that was their best hope for a ratings spike on a Wednesday evening.
Boo Weekley
quote:
Maybe I missed it, but how did steroids speed up the 'breaking down' of ball players bodies? Didn't they help them extend their careers and recover faster? Or is this just one of the ih8tgr talking points?
I wonder if getting OFF steroids has been what has hurt Tiger? Aside from injuries, he just doesn't even look the same and probably doesn't feel at all like his old self.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think nearly 40 years of going at it as hard as anyone in the business is why. Occams razor.
Corporal Punishment
AG
June 2015 will mark seven years since his last major.

Jack's longest drought between majors was just under six years ('80 U.S. Open to '86 Masters).
Ag_07
AG
No way he misses Augusta right?
bagger05
AG
quote:
No way he misses Augusta right?
I don't think he misses Augusta unless he needs more surgery or something.
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:
I wonder if getting OFF steroids has been what has hurt Tiger? Aside from injuries, he just doesn't even look the same and probably doesn't feel at all like his old self.
As far as the eyeball test goes, Tiger has never LOOKED like someone on steroids in my opinion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.