*****Tiger*****

106,354 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12/14 fairways
15/18 GIR
31 putts

Great ball-striking round.
watty
AG
Cool... The misses must have been pretty small. Potentially a big step forward for him today.
jja79
AG
Sort of like the backup QB coming in and throwing 2 TD passes against the spares. When your plane lands at home before the leaders make the turn you're really just out hitting balls.
aginlakeway
AG
How is he doing this week?
watty
AG
It's downright shocking how badly he has struck the ball this week. The ball striking he did at Greenbrier wasn't just good, it was great. It was the best proximity stat Tiger has EVER had since they started keeping that stat in 2003. That's how good he hit it at Greenbrier. He just couldn't putt. So I didn't think Tiger would win this week but I absolutely expected him to strike it well and make the cut though. This is a big disappointment.
ORAggieFan
quote:
It's downright shocking how badly he has struck the ball this week. The ball striking he did at Greenbrier wasn't just good, it was great. It was the best proximity stat Tiger has EVER had since they started keeping that stat in 2003. That's how good he hit it at Greenbrier. He just couldn't putt. So I didn't think Tiger would win this week but I absolutely expected him to strike it well and make the cut though. This is a big disappointment.
Yeah, but it was also the best the field had of any tournament I believe.
watty
AG
Nevertheless, you don't put up your best proximity number in 12 years without legitimately hitting the ball well. So for him to be hitting it so poorly one tournament later is a surprise.
MJ20/20
AG
He's a head case that can't keep the ball in the fairway or finish on the greens. It will be tough going until / if he gets it figured out.
Phat32
AG
Couldn't get enough Waffle House waitresses to NE Scotland this week...
LeFraud
All tiger needs to do is play his 6 holes tomorrow at -5 and he'll be around for the weekend
Phat32
AG
birdman
You need a better understanding of "surprising". Tiger sprayed the ball all over the place for nearly a year. The crisp shots at Greenbrier were the surprise. This week in Scotland is more typical.
EMY92
AG
Just think about how much he's saving in hotel expenses by missing the cuts.
Cedar09
At least he can say he made it to play the weekend!
Chipotlemonger
AG
That look on the 18th green said it all. Felt like a gut punch.
bagger05
AG
quote:

What was it? Wasn't watching.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:

What was it? Wasn't watching.

Camera was stuck on him for about 20 seconds. Was a very defeated, worried, and anxious look he had.
ORAggieFan
A few years ago who could ever have imagined Duvall would make a major cut and tiger would be missing his second eight no shot and mental issues?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
bad putting, bad execution

way to mechanical and not just letting go and swinging
aggiedent
AG
Judy Rankin said some fans were laughing at the state of Tiger's play.
LeFraud
I'm probably the biggest Tiger fan on this board

...but even I chuckle at watching the GOAT his shots that mimic some of the things I do at my local muni.
CapCityAg89
AG
I am about 10 years older than Tiger. That means I got to watch he and Michael Jordan change the games they played. He was a singular, transcendent athlete who absolutely dominated his sport

As sad as it was to watch MJ with the Bullets, this is worse. I only saw Jack at the end of his career and never saw the man I consider the greatest golfer of all time (Ben Hogan). There is nothing I want to see more in this sport I love than to see Tiger win another major. I just think he's finally gone full Duval and there is no chance he regains even a tenth the focus and will to win he had 10 years ago. It's just no longer in him.
jja79
AG
Nicklaus had the major win at 46 but for the most part majors are won by the mid 30's. Watson never won another after 34, wasn't Faldo 34 or 35 with his last major? Trevino as well?

He's likely battling Wheatcroft, Ricky Barnes, Spencer Levin and those guys for T-57 from here on out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think anyone age 43 or older has won a major in the past 25 years.

Edit- Mickelson may have been exactly 43 when he won the british
jja79
AG
Thinking back I think Trevino won after 40, but my point is he's past the point most majors are won.
aginlakeway
AG
Found online ...

Going back to 1960, here are some facts.
1. The average and median age for major champions is 32.
2. Players 35 and younger have won more than three-quarters of all the majors since 1960. It may be hard to believe, but it's a young man's game.
3. Less than 10 percent just 20 of 216 of all majors were won by players 40 and over. Since 2000, only one golfer (41-year-old Vijay Singh) has won a Masters, U.S. Open or PGA Championship.
4. Only two players in the last 54 years Nicklaus in '86 and Julius Boros in '68 were 46 or older when they won a Grand Slam title.

Here's a quick chart of major championship winners by age:
Age 20-25: 24 (11%)
Age 26-30: 64 (30%)
Age 31-35: 76 (35%)
Age 36-40: 34 (16%)
Age 41-over: 19 (8%)

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/joe-posnanski/does-age-really-matter-golf-yes-it-does/
DannyDuberstein
AG
Just found some stats. Going back to 1960, 9% of majors have been won by players 40 and over. 75% have been won by those 35 or younger.

Edit- lakeway beat me to it
Corporal Punishment
AG
I think Faldo was 38 when beat Greg Norman in '96 at Augusta.
jja79
AG
You're right. Younger than Eldrick is now.
Nom de Plume
AG
I thought forever he'd turn it around. Now I think he's done. It will be interesting to see what he does from here.
jja79
AG
O'Meara and Langher are my age and made the cut.
Smithjg
quote:
If he slept with dufner's wife while they were married then I will no longer be a fan. Integrity is more important to me than skill and accomplishments. It is one thing to be self destructive like Daly was, but this is just low class (along with all his other indiscretions.)
Now wait one minute, I want details!!! Is there a valid source for this story? N/m found it!
DannyDuberstein
AG
There was a National Enquirer story about it. Don't know if its true or not, but they were the ones that did break his serial affair scandal 5 years ago.
Aggie1391
3 over after his first 4 this week. Looks like another MC
PJYoung
AG
In Tiger's last 11 official tournaments he has bogeyed his first hole of the first round 9 times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.