*****Tiger*****

106,411 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Even-par 70 for Tiger, T11, 4 back.
T10 with Blixt's bogey.
Yep! Top 10 finish!
DannyDuberstein
AG
how about a golf world where 51 year old DL3 and 52 year old Vinay Singh are in the FedEx Cup playoff and Tiger Woods is 50+ spots out of it.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Even-par 70 for Tiger, T11, 4 back.
T10 with Blixt's bogey.
Yep! Top 10 finish!
Baby steps. He's gotta be a favorite to win the Frys.com Open now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
OR, wiki's definition of a very loosely used subjective word is hardly something to use in an argument.
gillom
AG
Tiger says his hip was bothering him throughout the round. Yeah buddy, a sore hip is why you forgot how to chip on the 11th hole. Sure didn't seem to bother him when he birdied 4 holes on the way in.
Yesterday
AG
Did he say that's why he played bad? He was limping throughout the weekend.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Any time he isn't draining birdies he is limping.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Tiger says his hip was bothering him throughout the round. Yeah buddy, a sore hip is why you forgot how to chip on the 11th hole. Sure didn't seem to bother him when he birdied 4 holes on the way in.

Did you not hear how the question was posed, *******? Every golfer plays with a little soreness.
It's all about mitigating it. It wasn't an excuse as you seem to call it. ****.
gillom
AG
Damn dude. I'm not even a Tiger hater. I just find it funny when anybody only makes excuses when something bad happens. He played pretty damn well all week. TWO holes 11,12 kept him from tying DLIII. None of the bad shots on 11 were caused by a sore hip. Lighten up.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:

Any time he isn't draining birdies he is limping.
It was the gotdamn ass muscles. He needs to fix it.
BoerneGator
AG
Point is, you never heard Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Arnie, or Jack offering excuses when they played poorly. And they all did. But then, those asking the questions had different expectations as well.
ORAggieFan
quote:
OR, wiki's definition of a very loosely used subjective word is hardly something to use in an argument.

Give me a source for a definition that is more widely accepted...
bagger05
AG
quote:
Point is, you never heard Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Arnie, or Jack offering excuses when they played poorly. And they all did. But then, those asking the questions had different expectations as well.

This seems like a really valid comparison... Give me a break.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
quote:

This seems like a really valid comparison... Give me a break.
Straighten me out, good sir.
Just an Ag
AG
Tiger in his prime rarely went backwards but those days may be gone.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:

Give me a source for a definition that is more widely accepted...

It's semantics.
watty
AG
So to tie Love, Tiger would have needed a 66. His stroke average for the year is 72.5. He shot 70. So a golfer who is a slightly over par golfer on the year shot an even par round. That doesn't sound like a choke. It sounds like a guy playing to his current average. He didn't choke nor did he do good. He just had an average day for his current state.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He had to clear the way for DL3 and Justin Leonard. Mark O'meara was lurking too.
Goodfield Nohit
quote:
When's the last time youve seen a guy in contention blade a chip, chunk a chip, putt from off the green to well past the hole and then miss the comeback putt for a triple? He needs to fix his head and the only way to do that is to play a lot of golf. I just don't think he has the commitment to the game anymore and in my opinion that's ok. He's done quite enough.
And that's fine. Just don't call him the Greatest of All Time.

Because he's not.
PJYoung
AG
Lol because he is in a 2 year slump his 14 majors and 79 wins don't count? Really?
dbtexasag05
Man....

I am not a fan of tiger woods and I personally think his shtick has gotten old.

But, not the greatest of all time? Are you high? Tiger single handedly changed golf. He brought money, swagger, and athleticism to a game and made it a sport overnight.

You could argue tiger created his own downfall simply because of the kids who decided they were to going to play because of him. This crop of PGA professionals have Tiger to thank for their endorsements and fat bank accounts.

I would like to know if the PGA of America Hogan proofed or Arnie Proofed or Nicklaus proofed any golf courses.
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
Man....

But, not the greatest of all time? Are you high? Tiger single handedly changed golf. He brought money, swagger, and athleticism to a game and made it a sport overnight.

You could argue tiger created his own downfall simply because of the kids who decided they were to going to play because of him. This crop of PGA professionals have Tiger to thank for their endorsements and fat bank accounts.

I would like to know if the PGA of America Hogan proofed or Arnie Proofed or Nicklaus proofed any golf courses.
I think that Tiger Woods is the second greatest golfer of all time. And I am not high.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
quote:
When's the last time youve seen a guy in contention blade a chip, chunk a chip, putt from off the green to well past the hole and then miss the comeback putt for a triple? He needs to fix his head and the only way to do that is to play a lot of golf. I just don't think he has the commitment to the game anymore and in my opinion that's ok. He's done quite enough.
And that's fine. Just don't call him the Greatest of All Time.

Because he's not.
You in denial?
dbtexasag05
Are you counting wins only? major and non-major?
aginlakeway
AG
I am just responding to the comment where someone who did not think Tiger Woods was the greatest golfer of all time must be high.

MANY think Tiger is second. And they're not high. And that includes Golf Digest And Golf Magazine in recent golf expert polls.

Tiger is either #1 or #2. But calling Tiger #2 is not insane.

And don't forget Nicklaus has 18 major wins and 19 major runner-ups. Tiger has 14 and 6.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
quote:
Man....

I think that Tiger Woods is the second greatest golfer of all time. And I am not high.
It's at least debatable who the "greatest of all time" is; however, it is not even remotely debatable who has been the most influential golfer. Moreover, Tiger Woods has been one of the most influential athletes in any sport. Love him or hate him, it is what it is.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Man....

It's at least debatable who the "greatest of all time" is; however, it is not even remotely debatable who has been the most influential golfer. Tiger literally changed the face of the sport like very few athletes have ever done. We're talking Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods....all in the same sentence. I think that is part of the reason posters in this forum get so irritated with Tiger detractors -- we are literally watching history in the making. Love him or hate him, it is what it is.
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Man....

It's at least debatable who the "greatest of all time" is; however, it is not even remotely debatable who has been the most influential golfer. Moreover, Tiger Woods has been one of the most influential athletes in any sport. Love him or hate him, it is what it is.
I agree. But again, my point was someone who thinks Tiger Woods is NOT the greatest golfer of all time is not high. He's actually in the majority among golf experts. Even Tiger thinks so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/04/15/tiger-woods-jack-nicklaus-comparison/2083049/

"He's the greatest champion that's ever lived," Woods said of Nicklaus after winning the Memorial in 2012.

dbtexasag05
He said that after winning Nicklaus' tournament.

Would have been real poor form to say, "actually I AM the GOAT, Nicklaus played in an ERA with less competition and you clowns weren't changing every golf course to beat him. Oh BTW Sam Snead has more wins than all of us."
Unemployed
AG
Not saying that he's wrong, but Tiger ain't going to say anything less at the man's own tournament. But 18 has always been the goal for Tiger. He knows he won't be known as the best until he gets to 18 majors.

aginlakeway
AG
quote:
He said that after winning Nicklaus' tournament.

Would have been real poor form to say, "actually I AM the GOAT, Nicklaus played in an ERA with less competition and you clowns weren't changing every golf course to beat him. Oh BTW Sam Snead has more wins than all of us."
He has said that NUMEROUS times since then. Google it. Tiger has also said that is how greatness in golf is measured.

18 majors/19 major runner ups/73 PGA Tour wins
vs
14 majors/6 major runner ups/79 PGA Tour wins

It's debatable, but most give the edge to Nicklaus.
aginlakeway
AG
quote:
Not saying that he's wrong, but Tiger ain't going to say anything less at the man's own tournament. But 18 has always been the goal for Tiger. He knows he won't be known as the best until he gets to 18 majors.

Yep. And Tiger has said that NUMEROUS times. Here's another one. They aren't hard to find.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/tiger-admits-nicklaus-best-all-time/

During a golf clinic in Las Vegas for his annual Tiger Jam event, Woods was asked to identify the greatest golfer in history.

"Nicklaus,' Woods answered.

Woods would rank himself second for a simple reason.

"I am four majors back," he said.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Played the greatest golf for a stretch, but a stretch does not make a career. He's not the GOAT.
Yesterday
AG
I'd put Tiger's prime above Jack's prime. Jack never beat the field as bad as tiger did but i would certainly oh say the two careers are debatable. Jack certainly bast the right to claim GOAT.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm more surprised he may not catch snead with 82 wins. That is still well within reach but figured he'd have almost 100 by now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.