*****Tiger*****

106,362 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not only did he shoot a 66 in a Worst Ball format, he had to validate all Birdies as well.

So, for every Birdie putt he made, he had to make the same putt from the same distance for the Birdie to count.

That's crazy good!
Ag_07
AG
Good. Yes
Impressive. Ehh

There's a big difference in playing on your home course that you play 27 a day on and playing competitively on the PGA tour. And oh yeah...The Masters. I guess this is just a result of needing to see it to believe it.

Plus it's pretty easy to make a putt after you've just miss one. Can't see it being any harder after you make one.

With that said I hope he pulls it together and gives it a run at Augusta. It's always more exciting when Tiger is firing on all cylinders.
watty
AG
Yeah that's just an insane round. I don't care if it was a practice round or what, that's one of the most impressive golf feats you'll ever hear about.
MorgansPoint
AG

MorgansPoint
AG

MorgansPoint
AG

Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Not only did he shoot a 66 in a Worst Ball format, he had to validate all Birdies as well.

So, for every Birdie putt he made, he had to make the same putt from the same distance for the Birdie to count.

That's crazy good!

Wow.
jonj101
Sometime ago I read that Greg Norman used to practice like that - taking the worst of two shots. If I recall correctly what I read said that Greg shot even par, so if Tiger shot a 66 and this is factual, that is pretty amazing.

That being said, yes a practice round is different from a major tournament, especially from a player who had a lot of difficulty chipping earlier this year. Id like to see him play well, but I dont see him playing on the weekend if he does tee it up in the first place.
ORAggieFan
A 66 worst ball with the validation would be insanely difficult. I will try and find in the book I'm reading, but read a few weeks ago about how close a pro playing a two ball worst ball is and a 18 handicap hitting two and playing the best each time.
MagnumLoad
Tiger has only finished one 72 hole tournament in a little over a year. I think he is done. Helluva run though.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
Good. Yes
Impressive. Ehh

There's a big difference in playing on your home course that you play 27 a day on and playing competitively on the PGA tour. And oh yeah...The Masters. I guess this is just a result of needing to see it to believe it.

Plus it's pretty easy to make a putt after you've just miss one. Can't see it being any harder after you make one.

With that said I hope he pulls it together and gives it a run at Augusta. It's always more exciting when Tiger is firing on all cylinders.

He had to make his birdie putts twice, not have two chances at birdie.
Ag_07
AG
Nah I know.

I just think making putts that you make once is not very difficult. That's the least impressive part.

You already have the read and the speed and the stroke. Not too difficult.

Now theres something to be said about making the first putts.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Nah I know.

I just think making putts that you make once is not very difficult. That's the least impressive part.

You already have the read and the speed and the stroke. Not too difficult.

Now theres something to be said about making the first putts.

If the Birdie putts were all 3-5 footers, I think you'd have a point. But, in a Worst Ball format you're putting and the furthest ball from the hole twice for the Birdie to count. Miss either one and the Birdie doesn't count.

Now, if he's validating all 3-5 footers it means his short iron play is ridiculously good right now.

BTW...you should try playing a validation game with your regular group...it definitely makes things interesting.

Ag_07
AG
That's a good point.

And I don't want it to sound like I think what he did was easy. I just think it's not as impressive as it sounds.

I think making a putt the first time is the hard part and making it again becomes easier once you see the line, speed, and even see it fall in the cup.

Now let's not forget it sounds like all hearsay at this point and may even be a rumor just to start some chatter and hype for him at Augusta. Wouldn't surprise me the least if his agent/team is putting this out there to build him up a bit when he's really somewhat irrelevant right now.
watty
AG
quote:
I think making a putt the first time is the hard part and making it again becomes easier once you see the line, speed, and even see it fall in the cup.

Anything outside of 10 feet, even if you've already seen the line, will be hard to validate. So he either putted out of his mind, or had several approaches inside 10 feet (where again, even the WORSE of the two was close), which is just as impressive, or a combination of both, all while limiting bogeys, which is also incredibly impressive in a worst ball round. I think, like I said above, it's one of the most impressive golf feats you will ever hear of.
ORAggieFan
The more I think about this the less I believe it. A 66 worst ball would be insanely hard back when Tiger was in his prime. The validation is even more unlikely.

He's having to hit two drives, taking the worse. Look at how he drove recently. To get two to be in play is a challenge. He then needs to take the worst of those and hit his approach.

A pro is 50% to make an 8 footer. That goes up a bit on the 2nd for sure, but to make two 15+ putts in a row is very challenging.

The only way he does this is his driver is deadly accurate and he's hitting insanely close iron shots. I just don't see it.
Ag_07
AG
Or he's shanking both drives, missing greens woefully, then chipping in.

It never said he has to validate birdie chip-ins.
gravy97
AG
The validation isn't necessarily an extra step when playing worst ball... but is included in the worst ball format. If he misses one of the two balls, then the worst ball isn't in the hole, so its not a birdie. So to make a birdie in worst ball, you have to, by definition make it twice.

It does seem pretty improbable based on how Tiger was driving it in tournament play in recent months... but it seems like he was reported hitting his driver great and with much power and accuracy before his return when he put his game in tournament mode... so its likely he is tearing it up in practice rounds... but doing it when the tournament pressure is on him is a whole other ball game.

ORAggieFan
Greg Norman on the best worst ball he ever had, back when he was #1 in the world:

quote:
Back when Greg Norman was the top-ranked golfer in the world, he'd practice by playing a transposed, almost-torturous version of ``best ball.''
``I'd play two golf balls, and you always had to hit the worst shot,'' Norman said Wednesday after a playing in the pro-am for the Senior Players Championship. ``So if you hit a great drive, you had to hit the next drive great, too.''
That was when Norman's golf game was a priority in his life. Nowadays, with a burgeoning portfolio of business interests, the 57-year-old isn't nearly as maniacal about his swing.
``The best score I remember playing ('worst ball') was 72. So, it really makes you concentrate,'' Norman said in his familiar Australian accent.
watty
AG
Like I said, assuming it's true, which I have no reason to doubt, Tiger's 66 in this format is as impressive as anything you will ever hear.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I have plenty of doubt about it. This sounds like some word-of-mouth rumor BS that got carried away.
agfan2013
AG
Probably leaked a false rumor to generate even more buzz with him playing at the masters.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Probably leaked a false rumor to generate even more buzz with him playing at the masters.

Yep.

It just so happens this gets out the day his jet is spotted at Augusta a week early.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Haters always gonna find a way to hate.
MagnumLoad
Shooting a 66 worst ball is hard to believe. However, if true, what that tells me is that his worst shots were very good, which would mean his ball striking is consistently good. As others have noted, taking it to pga competition, much less the Masters and those greens, is another matter entirely.
Baby Billy
AG
quote:
Good. Yes
Impressive. Ehh

It's pretty damn impressive. I'm not sure you completely understand.
Watty is correct, if he did indeed shoot a 66 worst ball, it's one of the most impressive things you'll see. It's insanely good
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Impressive? Yes. Meaningful? No.
Cavender Neutze
AG
Word from Golfweek that he shot 74 at Augusta with five birdies and several "indifferent" chips. One of which went through the green and into a bunker.
watty
AG
Interesting.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Word from Golfweek that he shot 74 at Augusta with five birdies and several "indifferent" chips. One of which went through the green and into a bunker.

That's good as far as pointing to him probably playing, but we all know a huge part of the problem is in his dome. Let's see him do it when the lights are on.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I really think he's done.
ORAggieFan
He's back at Augusta today....
jj9000
AG
quote:
He's back at Augusta today....
He shot a 29 on the front 9 in a 3 ball Worst Ball format.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We'll know by this time next week. They can leak out all the crazy rumors they want to, I'm gonna have to see it to believe it and based on his last 8-10 outings, I doubt he is in the top 25 after Friday's round.
MagnumLoad
If he plays, I don't think he will play after Friday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.