*****Tiger*****

106,392 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
Tiger is done. He'll never be consistent enough with the driver through four rounds to win another major.

he was never a bastion of consistency with the driver as the best player in the game.
True, but he had a big distance advantage over the field. Now he is even more inaccurate AND his distance is only average. I didn't follow golf back in the early 2000s, but I am under the impression that when he was missing back then he was still generally in the area of the fairway. Not having these HUGE misses like we're seeing nowadays.
the difference is his recovery ability. In the early 2000's he'd have a drive 3 fairways over and walk up to the green with a birdie putt, now he's looking to save bogey.

Some of that was a distance advantage, some was just his belief that he could do it, now he doesnt have either and his bad drives are more frequent and more costly.
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:
Tiger is done. He'll never be consistent enough with the driver through four rounds to win another major.

Way, way, waaaaay too soon to say that. The dude won 5 tournaments just 2 years ago including a T4 at the Masters when he hit the pin on 15 and spun it into the water (and then got that 2 stroke penalty for a bad drop).

It's not like he's too old - he's still in the peak age range to win majors. He has been dog poo since that season but at age 39 it's a little too soon to give up on a 14 time major winner.

From this article written in April 2014:
quote:
So, going back to 1960 here are some facts.

1. The average and median age for major champions is 32. It skews a little younger at the British Open (median of 31) and a little older at the PGA Championship (median of 33), but it's basically 32. That number has stayed pretty constant for 50-plus years. That's your peak: age 32.

2. Players 35 and younger have won more than three-quarters of all the majors since 1960. It may be hard to believe, but it's a young man's game.

3. Less than 10 percent just 20 of 216 of all majors were won by players 40 and over. It does happen, especially at the British Open (the last three British Open champions were all 40-somethings). But since 2000, only one golfer 41-year-old Vijay Singh has won a Masters, U.S. Open or PGA Championship.

4. Only two players in the last 54 years Nicklaus in '86 and Julius Boros in '68 were 46 or older when they won a Grand Slam title.

Here's a quick chart of major championship winners by age if you are interested:

Age 20-25: 24 (11%)
Age 26-30: 64 (30%)
Age 31-35: 76 (35%)
Age 36-40: 34 (16%)
Age 41-over: 19 (8%)
DannyDuberstein
AG
He beat some dude named Johan Kok, so he has that going for him.
PJYoung
AG
Excellent info! Certainly not in peak range to win a major but I am guessing he will return to good form at some point and give himself many more chances - especially at the Masters.
jja79
AG
T 88. Crushed Sturgeon by 2 strokes.
PJYoung
AG
Has only opened with a worse score at the PGA one time in his 18 years of playing it.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:

he was never a bastion of consistency with the driver as the best player in the game.
But this time, he doesn't even know which side of the fairway his tee ball is going to end up. And I bet the variance of his misses from the fairway is much bigger than what it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Plus, he's lost some of his mental edge.

But I hope he proves me wrong, though. I like Spieth but he's boring.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
But I hope he proves me wrong, though. I like Spieth but he's boring.
310 in the fairway
8-10 feet for birdie
make putt

wash rinse repeat.

Can I get some of that "boring" please!
HouAggie
AG
quote:
If he keeps this up, one of the networks that covers golf should have the balls to neither mention him nor show him for an entire tournament.

C'mon Eldrick, even John Daly is whipping your ass!
Why? It's got nothing to do with balls. He's great for ratings whether he shoots 65 or 85. Hell, just look at all the responses on this thread. He still moves the needle.
Goose
AG
I can remember checking the Washington Bullets' box scores each morning to see how many Jordan had the night before at the ripe old age of 39 or 40. Didn't matter that his avg had fallen off by about a third nor that the Bullets were absolutely atrocious. Kinda the same thing with Tiger followers.
jja79
AG
Only about half the club pros lead him so far.
watty
AG
I really must say, I don't understand the constant mockery of Tiger by a few key posters on this thread. Yes, we all see what he shot and where he is on the leaderboard. What's your point? He's the most famous golfer of all time and one of, if not the, best golfer of all time. Therefore he is interesting and worth talking about. I don't understand the point of the haters constantly chiming in with nothing but troll posts. We get it. You hate him. Ok. That's not the point of this thread.
Cris_Dishman
u mad bro? This is a thread about Tiger, some people like him some people dislike him. Who gives a ****. Personally I'm pretty indifferent towards him really, although the people who still suck him off when he is the 278th best player in the world definitely amuse me.
jja79
AG
The facts aren't mockery. They're the facts.
PJYoung
AG
quote:
I really must say, I don't understand the constant mockery of Tiger by a few key posters on this thread. Yes, we all see what he shot and where he is on the leaderboard. What's your point? He's the most famous golfer of all time and one of, if not the, best golfer of all time. Therefore he is interesting and worth talking about. I don't understand the point of the haters constantly chiming in with nothing but troll posts. We get it. You hate him. Ok. That's not the point of this thread.

It is kind of strange.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
If he keeps this up, one of the networks that covers golf should have the balls to neither mention him nor show him for an entire tournament.

C'mon Eldrick, even John Daly is whipping your ass!
Never going to happen, no matter how much you wish it. Anytime a FOURTEEN time major champ tees up at a tournament, they will be mentioned.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Unemployed
AG
quote:
If you started a thread about Heath Slocum, John Rollins, or Eric Axley, jja79 would probably do the same thing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Why is it strange? Don't dickwad athletes, even the greatest, get consistently mocked in all sports? A-Rod? Clemens?

Personally, I just find the crash and burn fascinating. Just like I thought his greatness was fascinating when it was occurring. It's all pretty fascinating and grabs attention, and I don't see the need to get one's panties in a wad about the fact that a guy like Tiger has become the butt of jokes. There are some ducking nancies here that take a little sports **** talk far too seriously.
chico
AG
But A-Rod and Clemens used ped's....Woods in the same boat?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for ****ting on my thread y'all.
HouAggie
AG
Word on the street is that chico thinks Tiger used drugs. He's let us know twice today.
Phat32
AG
El Chupacabra
The haters can't quit him. It's so cute.

Tiger doesn't matter anymore....but he is the ONLY topic of discussion during a Major week.

Most important player to ever play the game. Too bad he'll never win another major.
LeFraud
A guy that won a major 4 weeks ago just shot 75 too. Go ahead and put a fork in that guy too!
Phat32
AG
I watched most of Tiger's round, and his round was very similar to Kaymer's. His putter betrayed him and it showed in his body language.

Tiger's next major (if it ever happens) will be the most impressive major anyone has ever won IMO...if only because of all he's been through (or put himself through), and how far he fell. Hope it comes, but you never know.
jja79
AG
You Tiger guys sure are sensitive. The thread is about Tiger. He used to be great. Now he's 278 and probably won't make the playoffs. As much as it pains you that's the current story.
watty
AG
Non wof us have ever denied those facts or are unaware of them.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Jja79, you seem like a real pleasure to be around. Every post is instigating, detracting or taunting. Give it up.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Goodness
PJYoung
AG
quote:
Non of us have ever denied those facts or are unaware of them.

Exactly. Trolling/spamming posts with the same information every 5th reply gets tiresome.
'03ag
quote:
A guy that won a major 4 weeks ago just shot 75 too. Go ahead and put a fork in that guy too!
look I'm a to get fan, but the difference is exactly what you just said. Johnson just won a major a few weeks ago. That means his 75 is atypical, while tigers is more of the same.

I think he shoots 4 under today. -1 tomorrow
watty
AG
I think he shoots a 70 today and makes the cut on the number. But honestly anything between 67 and 78 would not surprise me at all.
Harry Stone
AG
this thread would not be 21 pages long if we were all uncle rico'ing the past about how great tiger was. he moves the needle whether you love or hate him. there's thousands upon thousands of threads on this site mocking the sips, liberals, coaches we want fired, etc. it's no different in Tiger's case so get over it.
gravy97
AG
Tiger is -2 thru 3... HE'S BACK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.