*****Tiger*****

106,441 Views | 1147 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think canning Foley was the best decision he could have made. He's Tiger Woods for Christ sake, why does he need a swing coach? That guy knows everything you could possibly know about the golf swing
turboboost
AG
quote:
I think canning Foley was the best decision he could have made. He's Tiger Woods for Christ sake, why does he need a swing coach? That guy knows everything you could possibly know about the golf swing
bingo!
DannyDuberstein
AG
So this parody interview has caused quite the ****storm:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-12/dan-jenkins-fake-interview-with-tiger

bagger05
AG
It had its moments.

The big takeaway I had from that is that this Dan Jenkins guy seems to think pretty highly of Dan Jenkins.
Ag_07
AG
I think it's a low blow.

You can't just write stuff like that even thought it's probably pretty accurate. Just comes off as a bunch of butt hurt from not getting an interview. Pretty amateur stuff coming from a HOF writer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No question that he's an old p-rickly, curmudgeon. And I don't think the article is half as funny as the reaction it's drawn from Tiger. Probably best to ignore the silly crap they bury 80% down in the magazine during the offseason and to avoid silly internet wars with people born in the 1920's. Hardly anyone would have known it ever existed and most that saw it would have blown it off as some silly old man taking cracks, as he's done his entire career.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They did find a pretty solid look-a-like:

bagger05
AG
quote:
And I don't think the article is half as funny as the reaction it's drawn from Tiger.
Do we have a link to this? THAT sounds entertaining.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He posted this on Derek Jeter's website.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/tiger-woods-straight-up-not-true-not-funny/

and sent this letter to Golf Digest

http://da0e3020886cd34a055b-deaa59b767194abee73c9434564a33e9.r61.cf5.rackcdn.com/to-mr-townsend.htm
Ag_07
AG
I don't think the reaction is funny or bad. Thought it was well said and spot on.
tommeehawk7
Dan Jenkins is one of the greatest sports authors ever. If you get a chance you have to read "Dead Solid Perfect".
Jenkins could care less about "getting an interview" , he's just a really funny author .
DannyDuberstein
AG
Something like this isn't funny?

quote:
Digest staged an impersonating actor for photographs next to a Cadillac SUV, apparently to mislead readers. Is that sort of deception acceptable in Conde Nast publications?

or this
quote:
Jenkins puts words in our client's mouth saying variously, that he has contempt for tipping, enjoys firing employees,

I was deceived. I really thought that was Tiger taking a selfie in a Perkins while wearing his Sunday red.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Dan Jenkins is one of the greatest sports authors ever. If you get a chance you have to read "Dead Solid Perfect".
Jenkins could care less about "getting an interview" , he's just a really funny author .

Then why TF does he not care less?

God I hate when people screw that saying up.
dcrewint
I think the stupidest thing of all is Tiger demanding an apology. It's his go-to move and basically is meant to make him feel better about himself. "Apologize to everyone of portraying me to the world the way I already portray myself."

I'm a fan of his golf, probably not much more than that, like much of the golf board. But come on man, demanding an apology is, in itself, childish in nature. Apologies should come from someone genuinely. Demanding an apology from Jenkins would be as comical as his article. I'm sure Jenkins would have fun with that too.

First Chamblee, now Jenkins? Tiger should take a page from other athletes that just take the high road and ignore it or have a little fun with it himself. He even responded with, "All athletes know that we will be under scrutiny from the media. But this concocted article was below the belt." So, if you know you're under scrutiny, you should prepare to take it, no? Tiger's response actually does damage to his reputation, rather than help it.
ORAggieFan
The article was just not funny and was a bit of a cheap shot.

That said, if Tiger doesn't make a big deal of it no one really even knows about it.
TP Ag '87
AG
Poor Tiger. No one ever accused him of an over-abundance of class. Shoulda just given them the (latest) Bill Cosby treatment.
AgDotCom
Agree that it was a very "meh" parody. Jenkins has written a lot of great stuff in the past but this one is bad. One thing he was spot on, though, was how Tiger's entourage is out in front of him on everything. Look at how his team reacted and went into bunker mode. I also don't believe for a minute that Tiger actually wrote the material on Jeter's website, or at the very least wrote it without it being polished up by Steinberg et al.

In short, I think the story was a bad piece of writing and the reaction is just as bad. Tiger probably gets a 30% bump in popularity if he just laughs and blows it off.
leachfan
I saw the article and chose not to read it. Same reason I don't read The Onion. Fake news just doesn't appeal to me.
watty
AG
Yeah I haven't even read the original article ( despite having 2 copies of the magazine with me) because it just sounds stupid. I have no desire to read a fake interview. It's a dumb idea and it IS below the belt and low class. I'm glad Tiger called him out.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I have not read it either, seems to be just a bitter rant.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Article and response from Tiger are both equally lame. Guy's 84 and probably figured F-it, I'm gonna do whatever I want.
gravy97
AG
@TigerWoods tweeted "Happy to have Chris Como consulting and working with me on my swing. I'm excited to be back competing."
watty
AG
Who is that?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Dallas based coach [Plano]
Unemployed
AG
Looks like Como is in the same vein as Foley so don't expect any big changes to Tiger's swing.
Ag pride
AG
quote:
Looks like Como is in the same vein as Foley so don't expect any big changes to Tiger's swing.

This.

Honestly don't see him ever really making a change at this point
watty
AG
Foley has done great work with other guys and definitely knows what he's doing. For whatever reason, it didn't work with Tiger but I wonder if it was just one of those things where you can't explain it, but it just doesn't work. But maybe a new voice with similar ideas will yield better results.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well said.
tommeehawk7
Foley must have been pretty good in 2013 when El tigre won 5 times and was player of the year.
98Ag99Grad
AG
If he can fix his driver, he'll be a success. Other parts of his game are fine IMO. And that's actually what's so funny about Foley; two of his other students- Mahan and Rose- are known as good drivers of the ball. Something just didn't click with Tiger on that part.
AgDotCom
Tiger tees it back up in 36 hours at his old Chevron tournament now moved to Florida. Not a deep field, but a good one.

TW says this is the first time he's been able to put in the reps in quite some time, yet he's only been practicing a month or less so not sure what that means.

I guess he should know the Isleworth course better than anyone in the field since he used to live there.

I'm neither a Tiger fan nor a hater, but good to see him back.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great field there every year
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Notah Begay's interview on the Golf Channel last night was interesting. If Tiger has a great year or a great next few years, I think Begay will deserve a lot of credit for helping Tiger get his head back on straight and pointed in the right direction. He may come off as a Tiger homer during some broadcasts but I think he genuinely cares about Tiger and is is very insightful about Tiger's game.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Do you know a good way to sum up what Notah said? Or do I need to scour for the interview?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I'd look for the interview online but I'll try to summarize as best I can. Basically around the PGA he and Tiger talked and Tiger seemed at a pretty low point. He used knowing Tiger since their amateur days to probe Tiger and get Tiger thinking about what had worked for him in the past and how he could get back to something that worked well for him. They had several long conversations and it seemed they sort of worked out a roadmap for getting Tiger back into form. Begay had worked with Chris Como in the past and made the introduction between the two at the Begay's tournament in NY. One thing I thought was interesting was that at one point Begay was making points about Tiger's past instructors/coaches and inadvertently or not, left Hank Haney off of his list.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.