Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,725 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieChemist said:

I went keto on 1/2. Picked up some test strips today to check my ketone levels and I'm between 80 and 160 mg/dL according to the test strip.

Guess I'm doing it right. LOL

What's funny is my Keto strips stopped showing ketones and I assume it means I'm fat adapted cuz I've not had over 20 net carbs since 12/31
AggieChemist
AG
Are you doing a lot of exercise? I'm doing a lot of HIIT and that can really ramp up your ketone levels according to what I read.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieChemist said:

Are you doing a lot of exercise? I'm doing a lot of HIIT and that can really ramp up your ketone levels according to what I read.

No HIIT. Just strength training 4x per week.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I just started lurking on this thread at the beginning of the year. I finally started the path this week. At first I couldn't understand how anyone could have 20 g of carbs or less in a day. I was struggling to stay under 40 and was eating foods recommended by several different keto sites. Doing recipe research today, I finally got it: net carbs. Ya...I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer. Looking back at my week on my app, I've been where I need to be. I'll check back in a month.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Null and Void
Pete, congrats on the results... very, very impressive.

Regarding ketones, check out the post darthluiggi (ketogains.com) put out on Instagram this morning. I would post a link if I could, but it basically says to chase the macros, not the ketones. The number of ketones each person / athlete generates can be misleading.

Continued successes!
irish pete ag06
AG
Null and Void said:

Regarding ketones, check out the post darthluiggi (ketogains.com) put out on Instagram this morning. I would post a link if I could, but it basically says to chase the macros, not the ketones. The number of ketones each person / athlete generates can be misleading.

Continued successes!
Thanks.

I'm a huge fan of darthluiggi and his ketogains website. The stuff he advocates is very logical and makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of bad information out there about fat consumption that ends up getting people to ingest way too much fat. I love how he always say carbs are a limit, protein is a goal, fat is a lever. That's exactly the way to approach it.

Speaking of fat as a lever. I may be about to start eating at the small surplus that darthluiggi recommends. My lifts are starting to hit a small plateau and I think I may be getting to the point where strength gains on this caloric deficit are going to be hard to come by. Waist size still hasn't hit my goal yet, so I'll probably run through one more cycle of 5/3/1 before I make that decision.
irish pete ag06
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

I just started lurking on this thread at the beginning of the year. I finally started the path this week. At first I couldn't understand how anyone could have 20 g of carbs or less in a day. I was struggling to stay under 40 and was eating foods recommended by several different keto sites. Doing recipe research today, I finally got it: net carbs. Ya...I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer. Looking back at my week on my app, I've been where I need to be. I'll check back in a month.

Yep. Net carbs. Stupid myfitnesspal won't track net carbs no matter that it's the #1 complaint and request from folks... and has been for the entire existence of the app. Fiber is completely unused by the body and causes no insulin response, so it does not affect ketosis at all.

My appetite has started to crave green stuff... maybe the first time in my life that's ever happened.
SJEAg
AG
Just a little food tip...the hardest thing for me to give up or substitute on low carb are crunchy snacks (i.e. chips). I am not a big pork rind fan.

Found a great product called Cheese Whisps...they're basically just crunchy versions of cheese. Pretty much all fat and protein, like 1g carbs per serving. The cheddar ones, if you close your eyes and pretend...you can almost feel like you're eating some sort of cheeto. Not that good obviously, but close enough given the circumstances. And it's basically just cheese...no weird fake aftertastes like what you get with the Quest protein chips (which I also eat on occasion). They're sort of expensive, but worth it. Also pretty filling and rich, so you're not inclined to chow down on an entire bag in one sitting.

They have them at HEB...at mine they stock next to the parmesan cheese cans. Come in Cheddar (which I prefer) and Parmesan...which also aren't bad. They taste like you're eating a crunchy form of parmesan grated cheese.

Anyway, that's my pro-tip for a crunchy snack and something to add to a work lunch. Probably make for a good salad topper.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Null and Void said:

Continued successes!
Thanks.

I'm a huge fan of darthluiggi and his ketogains website. The stuff he advocates is very logical and makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of bad information out there about fat consumption that ends up getting people to ingest way too much fat. I love how he always say carbs are a limit, protein is a goal, fat is a lever. That's exactly the way to approach it.

Speaking of fat as a lever. I may be about to start eating at the small surplus that darthluiggi recommends. My lifts are starting to hit a small plateau and I think I may be getting to the point where strength gains on this caloric deficit are going to be hard to come by. Waist size still hasn't hit my goal yet, so I'll probably run through one more cycle of 5/3/1 before I make that decision.
Yeah. Those "fat bombs" that everyone was talking about to "reach" your fat macro are so dumb.
I also hated that lots of keto calcs have your protein goal way too low if you do any kind of weight lifting at all.

So are you planning on bulking to get to a specific strength goal... then cut back down to hit your waist size/weight goal?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Good call. Trader Joes has those too and they are less than 1g of carb per serving.

irish pete ag06
AG
SJEAg said:

Just a little food tip...the hardest thing for me to give up or substitute on low carb are crunchy snacks (i.e. chips). I am not a big pork rind fan.

Found a great product called Cheese Whisps...they're basically just crunchy versions of cheese. Pretty much all fat and protein, like 1g carbs per serving. The cheddar ones, if you close your eyes and pretend...you can almost feel like you're eating some sort of cheeto. Not that good obviously, but close enough given the circumstances. And it's basically just cheese...no weird fake aftertastes like what you get with the Quest protein chips (which I also eat on occasion). They're sort of expensive, but worth it. Also pretty filling and rich, so you're not inclined to chow down on an entire bag in one sitting.

They have them at HEB...at mine they stock next to the parmesan cheese cans. Come in Cheddar (which I prefer) and Parmesan...which also aren't bad. They taste like you're eating a crunchy form of parmesan grated cheese.

Anyway, that's my pro-tip for a crunchy snack and something to add to a work lunch. Probably make for a good salad topper.

Those things are great! Sadly they only sell them in 2 oz packages at Walmart where I live. I saw sams club had them in 9 or 10 oz bag. May have to fire the membership back up.
irish pete ag06
AG
The plan was when I got to my goal waist I was going to use the ketogains calculator and set it to "build muscle" which bumps you up to a very small surplus.
Justin2010
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

AggieChemist said:

I went keto on 1/2. Picked up some test strips today to check my ketone levels and I'm between 80 and 160 mg/dL according to the test strip.

What's funny is my Keto strips stopped showing ketones and I assume it means I'm fat adapted cuz I've not had over 20 net carbs since 12/31
Just FYI, keto strips are a complete waste of money.

Do keto for 3+ days and you're in ketosis.
AggieChemist
AG
My piss smelled strongly of fruit for several days and then stopped. I had also pushed the limit with a couple of dishes. Was worth $10 for my piece of mind.

And my wife is type 1 diabetic and will use the leftovers.
irish pete ag06
AG
Justin2010 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

AggieChemist said:

Just FYI, keto strips are a complete waste of money.

Do keto for 3+ days and you're in ketosis.

Yeah I read up on it. Gathered the same thing.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I made "refried" (garbanzo) beans for a burrito bowl. Texture and flavor turned out well. And...I didn't fall asleep or feel like a piece of sheet afterward. Digging this decision.
irish pete ag06
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

I made "refried" (garbanzo) beans for a burrito bowl. Texture and flavor turned out well. And...I didn't fall asleep or feel like a piece of sheet afterward. Digging this decision.

Bowls have been my go to way of getting my Mexican fix. Been using the frozen riced Cauliflower on the bottom seasoned with some fiesta brothers fajita seasoning... then piling on fajita or brisket, cheese, sometimes queso, sour cream, and avocado. Pour on some Cholula or Valentino's. Hot damn it's good.

Also, if you smoke, buy a vacuum sealer. I smoke brisket and vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers in 1.5 pound portions. Makes for a great protein source on somewhat short notice. And brisket is really pretty cheap in the grand scheme of meat based proteins.
irish pete ag06
AG
These:

IMHO... waaaay better than the Mission Carb Smart tortillas. They are also bigger so you can load up the protein and fat inside burrito style. Helps get that tortilla fix occasionally.
JamesBREI06
AG
Male. Sorry. Somehow the system unfollowed me from my own thread. Had a whirl wind of life events over past four months and put back quite a bit, back at it again
Whoop!
HarleySpoon
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

These:

IMHO... waaaay better than the Mission Carb Smart tortillas. They are also bigger so you can load up the protein and fat inside burrito style. Helps get that tortilla fix occasionally.
Interesting......how many net carbs per tortilla?
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieChemist
AG
Kroger has a "carb balance" white tortilla that is 5 net carbs.
HarleySpoon
AG
Thanks guys....I can live with that if I only put meat, cheese and lettuce in it. I'll give it a try.
Post removed:
by user
irish pete ag06
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

I agree those low carb tortillas are pretty good, but have you ever looked at the ingredient list? I don't know what they do to those things to make them low carb but there is a ton of crap ingredients in there.

Yes. They definitely don't qualify as "whole foods"
AggieChemist
AG
They fall into the category of occasional treat for me.
irish pete ag06
AG
Same.
AggieChemist
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Same.
If they keep me from darkening the door of my favorite Mexican restaurant, they've done their job. I'll trade 15-20 g of net carbs every couple weeks for an entire bowl of chips.

Make that two bowls.

Speaking of bowl, I eat most of my Mexican in them now. Throw in about 8 oz of venison taco meat, a wad of shredded cheddar, a glop of sour cream, two or three glops of guac and a handful of shredded lettuce and top with a few shakes of Cholula... well that's the lunch of champions right there.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'm the same way. Posted above that it's my go to way of getting my Mexican fix also.

Mexican restaurants are still my final hack on how to order there and not eat the chips. We have a little taco joint here that has $1 tacos on Wednesday. I'm on a first name basis in there because they know me as the guy that orders 10 barbacoa tacos with no tortilla. Haha.
AggieChemist
AG
I can do Mexican if my willpower is strong. If I can keep myself out of the chips, I get chili verde, swap the rice for guacamole salad and allow myself to splurge and eat the refried beans.
wbt5845
AG
Our favorite Mexican place has a roasted poblano stuffed with fajita meat and cheese. They'll substitute roasted vegetables for the rice and beans. Just gotta avoid the chips and hot sauce...

I'm on a keto break right now as I'm running a half marathon this Saturday. Will go back full throttle keto on Sunday and hopefully hit my goal weight by sometime in March.
Geriatric Punk
AG
wbt5845 said:

Our favorite Mexican place has a roasted poblano stuffed with fajita meat and cheese. They'll substitute roasted vegetables for the rice and beans. Just gotta avoid the chips and hot sauce...

Did this very thing last time I was out. I did have a chip or two, though. Tough to resist.
HarleySpoon
AG
Taco Casa has been my "go to" meal for about 20 weeks now. Three soft tacos and side of extra shredded cheese. Empty the contents of the three tacos onto one plate, a dash of salt and pepper and I'm in paradise. Taco salad the way it was meant to be. No dressing...just very fresh meat, cheese and lettuce.
javajaws
AG
Oh geez I come here looking for keto info and see post after post about texmex. You'll aren't making this easy!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Geriatric Punk
AG
Did I read you right, Stringer? 44 and your first is 14 months old? Glad to know I'm not the only one that started late, my friend. I'm with you on "not dying early" as a priority. That, and I want to be fit enough to hike and be active with my kids as long as I can.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.