Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,708 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2000 Calories (about to begin bumping this up a little further)

200g Carbs 40%
175g Protein 35%
56g Fat 25%

Once I add some more calories in, I'll add them to carbs and fat. I don't need any more protein. Probably have too much as it is.
Geriatric Punk
AG
So, in seeking an ideal weight, is it a good idea to shoot for 4-5 lbs below that weight knowing that you will gain about that much back in water after resuming a diet with more carbs?

I've got about 15 more to go (down 30).
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
irish pete ag06
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

So, in seeking an ideal weight, is it a good idea to shoot for 4-5 lbs below that weight knowing that you will gain about that much back in water after resuming a diet with more carbs?

I've got about 15 more to go (down 30).
I don't think that's a bad idea to keep in mind. I wouldn't let the scale tell the whole story though. Measure your waist at the navel and track that. Honestly, weight loss is really just about shrinking that area, in males of course. If you are female, I guess the hips would probably be best to measure.

With your weight and waistline tracked, you can pretty easily track your body fat using the navy calculator. This will also help you keep track of your lean body mass and make sure it's not shrinking too fast also. The idea is that we want to lose fat while maintaining as much lean body mass as possible.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Good idea. I will say this, my waist has shrunk so much that it is almost annoying. I have no pants that fit.
irish pete ag06
AG
It's a great problem to have.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I played golf yesterday and just grabbed a pair of shorts that were way too small when I was 48 lbs heavier, thinking they would surely fit. I mean I couldn't even button them before.
They were so b**** and bulky that I had to go up a couple of notches on my belt so they wouldn't bunch at the waist. Kept having to pull them up the whole round.
irish pete ag06
AG
Started smoking at 12am last night to have this and a freezer full of keto goodness. 14 pound brisket and a 10 pound pork butt.

AggieChemist
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Started smoking at 12am last night to have this and a freezer full of keto goodness. 14 pound brisket and a 10 pound pork butt.

About damn time we stopped talking about other people's carbs.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieChemist said:

irish pete ag06 said:

About damn time we stopped talking about other people's carbs.
Amen!

Just so yal know, Big Red Zero is the best diet drink on the market right now. Incredible!
irish pete ag06
AG
Anyone got a good keto friendly barbecue sauce? Texas style or vinegar... I have pounds of pulled pork in the fridge.

There are many online but I'm not sure I trust many non-texans on BBQ sauce flavor.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My wife has bought a couple of bottles online. Whatever she bought was stupid sweet.

Sorry that's not much help.
irish pete ag06
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

My wife has bought a couple of bottles online. Whatever she bought was stupid sweet.

Sorry that's not much help.

It helped to reconfirm that online sauce is ass my dude.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ate sardines for the first time today. They were "Hot Green Chile" flavored. They were surprisingly bland. I think canned tuna has a more fishy taste. I ended up adding salt & pepper to flavor them up a little more. Only weird time was when I pulled my fork up and saw the vertebrate hanging out of one of my bites.

The macros are incredible though for a quick snack.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Sardines are the *****
Might take a look at smoked trout as well. High in protein.
irish pete ag06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Sardines are the *****

Will do.
Swarely
I'm doing CICO, but I want to brag on my buddy a bit.

In December he went to the doctor and maxed out the scale. The doc looked at him and told him that the scale goes up to 450 lbs. So we know he was north of that. He started keto that month. I saw him over the weekend and he's down to 372. Already he looks like a completely different person.

Question for y'all though. When should he see his weight loss start plateauing? There's no way he can keep up this 20lbs a month thing right? I'm trying to get him to start lifting or at least walking to help him along.
harge57
AG
He will likely keep up the 20 lbs a month thing for a while. My guess is into the 240 to 280 range depending on build. He will need to recalibrate his calorie intake as he will likely be burning way less calories when he is minus 150 lbs.
OasisMan
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Sardines are the *****

Will do.
i didnt like sardines as a kid

will have to try again
irish pete ag06
AG
So after my first full week on this "lean bulk" I weighed in a pound down this morning and my waistline fell by over a quarter inch again.
AggieChemist
AG
Went to the doctor for my annual tire-kicking. BP was 120/70, the lowest it has been since high school. I have been on blood pressure medicine since my freshman year of college. I don't think before yesterday I had ever had a bp with the diastolic below 84. I am still on meds, but my bp is actually normal by any metric.

In addition, my cholesterol was 172. That's down from a high of 240 four years ago.

My ass is also 36 lbs lighter than last time I saw the doc.

Pretty strong results.
Garrelli 5000
bam02
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Nice job, AC
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

I hate fitness youtubers as a general rule, and Jeff Nippard is no exception, but this is a pretty decent video looking into Keto that might be of interest. It's not as in depth as the Joe Rogan podcast episode, but it is a good overview.
loser97
AG
I started making Mackerel and Salmon Cakes. I love them for breakfast with an avocado.

15oz Canned Salmon (Trader Joes)
4 oz Canned Mackerel (trader joes)
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp Flax Seed
4 Tbsp Ranch
Cup Spinach
handful of cilantro
1 TBSP turmeric
1 TBSP garlic
4 tbsp creamed salmon roe
2 tsp Potassium chloride

mix it all up and make 1/4 cup patties. Pan fry. Makes about 10 patties which my daughter and i share during the week.

irish pete ag06
AG
That sounds pretty great.
AggieChemist
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I hate fitness youtubers as a general rule, and Jeff Nippard is no exception, but this is a pretty decent video looking into Keto that might be of interest. It's not as in depth as the Joe Rogan podcast episode, but it is a good overview.
That's a pretty strong video, both in terms of scientific literature review and critical thought.

Really nothing there I disagree with. Keto isn't magic... but it plays right into the hands of people that prefer to eat meat/fats ab initio, while the appetite suppressive effect of ketosis helps maintain a caloric deficit.

Do I miss cake, pizza and tacos? Yes.

Would I rather eat pork chops, chili and guac? Also yes. It's a trade off I can live with.
irish pete ag06
AG
I haven't had a chance to watch this video yet, but I've been interested to see how keto does with building muscle. I'm currently 1 week and a few days into my "keto bulk" and early returns suggest this could be a good way to build. I'm gonna give it six weeks before I make any full evaluations, but early returns suggest I may have added a pound of lean muscle so far without adding any inches to my waist at the navel yet.

I am also doing "targeted keto" now also where I ingest about 7-8 grams of pure dextrose in my coffee pre-workout. So far I've PR'd in 3 of my 4 lifts after I had been plateauing a little.
bam02
AG
So I saw my cardiologist yesterday and got advanced lipid panel results from bloodwork I had done while doing keto. He was shocked in a good way at the numbers.

I forgot to get copies and I will probably post the numbers in a new thread when I get them. He's sending me to get a calcium score test so I may wait to get those results before I get copies of my labs.
Shelton98
AG
I started Keto on 4/1/17.... lost 50 lbs and felt like a million bucks. I got off keto about 2 weeks ago because I'm human and I wanted to eat whatever I wanted for a little while. I have felt like a$$ ever since. Bloating, gas, heartburn, headaches, sinking spells, joint pain.... things I haven't dealt with in a year. My dumba$$ is going back to keto tomorrow.
Madmarttigan
AG
So my stomach issues have been better lately, stopped the atkins candy, fiber bomb tortillas and eating peanuts which exacerbated it for whatever reason. Have stuck to pumpkin seeds and 70% cacao dark chocolate and felt better.

I don't know that I have been doing true keto because I still eat beans, a chocolate or two, occassionally a couple tortillas, or a couple bites of pizza (scrape the cheese off the rest). I don't really count carbs so I guess you could call mine super super lazy keto, but since january down from 222 to 203. Whether I'm in ketosis or not I don't know but I do know going low carb definitely helps with my cravings which were out of control for the past year and a half with a 30 pound weight gain after my previous diet. Working nights I couldn't control myself eating everything when I came home in the morning, but since cutting the carbs have been able to just come home and go to bed without massacring the kitchen. Also, not worrying about tracking every little thing and nutrient is something that keeps me going because I've always hated doing that.
wbt5845
AG
Shelton98 said:

I started Keto on 4/1/17.... lost 50 lbs and felt like a million bucks. I got off keto about 2 weeks ago because I'm human and I wanted to eat whatever I wanted for a little while. I have felt like a$$ ever since. Bloating, gas, heartburn, headaches, sinking spells, joint pain.... things I haven't dealt with in a year. My dumba$$ is going back to keto tomorrow.
So I am within 8 pounds of my target weight as of this morning. I have modified keto in the following ways and still have lost 2 pound in the last month.

I just stay away from "gratuitous" carbs - i.e., the baked potato, breads, beans, rice, ice cream, etc. If a dish I want has ~some~ carbs - i.e., green bean casserole at Easter - I have one serving. I stick to light beer and limit myself to two or three once a week.

I am certain I am not in ketosis, but I've lost enough weight now that ketosis was only yiedling about 1 pound a week. With the summer upon us, I now should be able to increase my outdoor physical activity enough to continue to lose as long as I eat at a slight calorie deficit.
Geriatric Punk
AG
loser97 said:

I started making Mackerel and Salmon Cakes. I love them for breakfast with an avocado.

15oz Canned Salmon (Trader Joes)
4 oz Canned Mackerel (trader joes)
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp Flax Seed
4 Tbsp Ranch
Cup Spinach
handful of cilantro
1 TBSP turmeric
1 TBSP garlic
4 tbsp creamed salmon roe
2 tsp Potassium chloride

mix it all up and make 1/4 cup patties. Pan fry. Makes about 10 patties which my daughter and i share during the week.

How do you store them/reheat them?
Ag97
AG
Started Keto a couple months ago. I weighed in at 280 over Christmas, heaviest I've ever been. Around 275 when I started. I'm down to 255. Went to the Dr. for my annual checkup. I haven't taken my blood pressure medicine in about a month since it started coming down. I was at 122 over 73 on Monday. Last fall I was normally 140 something over 90 something and had daily BP headaches. I've never had high cholesterol but even with the high fat diet I'm still sitting at 93.

I have noticed the weight loss has really tapered off the last couple weeks. I was losing about 5 pounds a week the first 2 or 3 weeks and am now down to about 2. Hopefully that will pick back up some when I start more cardio workouts in the near future.

The diet continues to be fairly easy to deal with. Food variety is starting to get a little monotonous, but I can deal with that. I do miss the occasional ice cream however. I could go for a bowl of Blue Bell right about now. Anybody have any low carb ice cream substitutions? I haven't tried making any low carb deserts and there don't seem to by many if any at all out there just to buy.
AggieChemist
AG
My wife came home with some breyers carb smart ice cream the other day. I think it's 6 g net carbs in 1/2 cup. I've had 1/2 cup a couple times and it was nice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.