Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,717 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
inoffensive username said:

I full-heartedly believe the demonization of red meat is out of the liberal agenda playbook.
Red meat can definitely be good and healthy in any diet, but probably not the way I was eating it in years past.
irish pete ag06
AG
All this red meat talk...

Anyone gone carnivore?
Max Power
AG
I don't think I could ever do carnivore. I need more variety than just meat. Joe Rogan had on a guy I think that was a doctor/bodybuilder that did carnivore and was a big proponent of the diet. Said he would feast on meat and also could then fast for more than a day if he ate enough, I think he said he could hit a Brazilian steak house and eat upwards of 5 pounds of meat in a sitting.

The longer I've stayed with how I'm eating these days the more I'm convinced that sugar and processed simple carbs are the worst things we can ingest. I don't drink anymore but I stopped doing that when I got on Bupropion as it doesn't mix well with booze. I eat more fat than I ever have in my life and I weigh what I did in HS and got back into 31 inch pants, I think the last time I wore those I was 16 and I'm 38 now.

I used to try to intermittently fast before but it was hard because I'd get hungry, but not now. I think I only eat dinner 3-4 times a week because I won't be hungry after my afternoon snack. I know I've lost some muscle mass because I don't eat enough but I'd rather keep the weight down at 170-175 than 180-185.

**A tip for anyone that has made any sort of keto bread replacement, buy some psyllium husk powder. I got some recently because I found a pizza crust recipe I wanted to try that called for it and it made a huge difference. It acts similarly to gluten in that it gave the crust some structure rather than being limp.**
irish pete ag06
AG
Max Power said:

I don't think I could ever do carnivore. I need more variety than just meat. Joe Rogan had on a guy I think that was a doctor/bodybuilder that did carnivore and was a big proponent of the diet. Said he would feast on meat and also could then fast for more than a day if he ate enough, I think he said he could hit a Brazilian steak house and eat upwards of 5 pounds of meat in a sitting.

The longer I've stayed with how I'm eating these days the more I'm convinced that sugar and processed simple carbs are the worst things we can ingest. I don't drink anymore but I stopped doing that when I got on Bupropion as it doesn't mix well with booze. I eat more fat than I ever have in my life and I weigh what I did in HS and got back into 31 inch pants, I think the last time I wore those I was 16 and I'm 38 now.

I used to try to intermittently fast before but it was hard because I'd get hungry, but not now. I think I only eat dinner 3-4 times a week because I won't be hungry after my afternoon snack. I know I've lost some muscle mass because I don't eat enough but I'd rather keep the weight down at 170-175 than 180-185.

**A tip for anyone that has made any sort of keto bread replacement, buy some psyllium husk powder. I got some recently because I found a pizza crust recipe I wanted to try that called for it and it made a huge difference. It acts similarly to gluten in that it gave the crust some structure rather than being limp.**

Are you lifting? Even lifting twice a week can help maintain muscle mass while on a deficit. I hardly lost any lean mass when I dropped 15+ pounds the first 3 months keto. I was lifting 4 times per week.
nashvilleaggie11
Heads up for DFW people (and maybe Houston?) Mi Cocina's Rico Salad is totally keto friendly!
Max Power
AG
I lift 4-5 times per weak, my bench, squat, and deadlift are definitely lower now than they were before I started keto. The only thing that has increased are my pull-ups because I'm significantly lighter. I work out normally from 5:30-6:30 and don't eat anything before or after due to intermittent fasting. I tend to not eat anything till roughly 9:00 and by then I've been up for four hours. Before keto I ate something on the way to the gym and immediately after. I don't know how many calories I take in now vs then but it's significantly lower, ballpark is 700-1000 less per day. I currently maintain from 170-175 and occasionally dip into the 160's. I used to maintain around 195-200. I still have muscle just not like I used to, but my pants fit way better and medium shirts fit me better than large so it's not the worst trade off.
Guitarsoup
AG
I've been at 1000-1500cal every day for three weeks solid.

Monday is cheat. Getting popcorn while I see Deadpool. I'm sure I'll feel like absolute *****
irish pete ag06
AG
Ate 4K calories yesterday and woke up a full pound lighter. Not sure keto is feasible for me to "gain."

jel_2002
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Ate 4K calories yesterday and woke up a full pound lighter. Not sure keto is feasible for me to "gain."

What is the consensus on how you can eat that much and still lose? Water loss?

BTW, I've lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks doing keto.
DrAg93
AG
Max Power said:

I lift 4-5 times per weak, my bench, squat, and deadlift are definitely lower now than they were before I started keto. The only thing that has increased are my pull-ups because I'm significantly lighter. I work out normally from 5:30-6:30 and don't eat anything before or after due to intermittent fasting. I tend to not eat anything till roughly 9:00 and by then I've been up for four hours. Before keto I ate something on the way to the gym and immediately after. I don't know how many calories I take in now vs then but it's significantly lower, ballpark is 700-1000 less per day. I currently maintain from 170-175 and occasionally dip into the 160's. I used to maintain around 195-200. I still have muscle just not like I used to, but my pants fit way better and medium shirts fit me better than large so it's not the worst trade off.
Sounds very similar to me. I have been doing similar for going on 3 years now. I am lean at 6'2" and 178#. I seem to have peaked on my weight lifting, but this is a longterm lifestyle I can maintain, and I think with the intermittent fasting it will have long term health benefits. I'd rather be a little leaner and have an extra few quality life years than be more bulky and not.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
irish pete ag06
AG
DrAg93 said:

Max Power said:

Sounds very similar to me. I have been doing similar for going on 3 years now. I am lean at 6'2" and 178#. I seem to have peaked on my weight lifting, but this is a longterm lifestyle I can maintain, and I think with the intermittent fasting it will have long term health benefits. I'd rather be a little leaner and have an extra few quality life years than be more bulky and not.

Good point.
Cancelled
AG
I'm in.
irish pete ag06
AG
queso1 said:

I'm in.

Welcome! Be careful with queso. Some restaurants feel the need to add carbs to it.
Sully
AG
HEB has 2 quesos that are excellent and only 1 net carb per serving (or 8 since I usually eat the whole container with chicharrnes)...a yellow one and a blanco. They are in the refrigerated section with the other cheeses and are muy bueno!
irish pete ag06
AG
Sully said:

HEB has 2 quesos that are excellent and only 1 net carb per serving (or 8 since I usually eat the whole container with chicharrnes)...a yellow one and a blanco. They are in the refrigerated section with the other cheeses and are muy bueno!

I don't live in HEB land and it makes me cry electrolyte filled tears.
Guitarsoup
AG
Went to the late Deadpool last night, got my large popcorn... and could only finish about 1/7th before it actually upset my stomach. Worst. Cheat. Ever.

Now starting IF with Keto.
irish pete ag06
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Went to the late Deadpool last night, got my large popcorn... and could only finish about 1/7th before it actually upset my stomach. Worst. Cheat. Ever.

Now starting IF with Keto.
Haha. Gut bacteria is a powerful thing.
txagfisher
AG
Do you take any probiotics? Have any recommendations?
irish pete ag06
AG
I don't, but I do believe that my gut bacteria has changed over this time. I have had one carb filled "cheat day" since I started keto and became fat adapted and holy cow the gas. The gas was insane.
irish pete ag06
AG
Keto bulk update. I got frustrated with the slow and/or lack of growth and upped the calories to 2750 on off days and 3250 on workout days (4 days per week). This "should" be a 3500 calorie weekly surplus and be a pound per week gained hypothetically. If the weight starts going on too fast or waist starts expanding, then I'll dial it back.

The most weight I've gained in a week is .7 pounds and I've averaged gaining .3 pounds per week. Over the entire 10.5 weeks I've average eating 2818 calories per day.
Max Power
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

My favorite fat bomb - cookie dough balls.

It says 1/2 cup of butter or coconut oil - I used 1/2 cup of butter and felt they were too dry, so I added 2 Tbsp of coconut oil and continued mixing.

I keep in a zip lock bag in the fridge.

Routine: Open fridge, open bag, grab 1 ball. Close door. Stand in front of fridge and savor. Open fridge, open bag, grab 1 more ball. Walk away and eat the 2nd even slower.

It's hard to not grab the entire bag and eat them in 1 sitting.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/low-carb-keto-protein-cookie-dough-bites-recipe/

Damn you, I made some of these, crack balls, very tasty.
Pepper Brooks
AG
How expensive is a typical grocery store visit for you?
irish pete ag06
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

How expensive is a typical grocery store visit for you?

Sales.
Buy in Bulk.
Vacuum Seal.
Freezer.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I get my blood checked every 6 months.

My cholesterol went from 247 total, HDL 47, VLDL 20, LDL 180 Tryglycerides 103, on November 17, 2016 to:

Total: 208
HDL - 45
VLDL - 21
LDL - 142
Tryglycerides - 103

on 5/18

During that time I went from 205 to 191 (215 on 1/1/18).

I didn't start keto until 1/22/18.

My LDL is still higher than it needs to be, but I still wan to loose another 25 to 30 pounds.

I guarantee that my cholesterol shot through the roof between 11/17 and 1/22 before I started keto, considering I gained about 10 pounds and ate/drank like it was my last month on earth during the holidays.
Take the trash out staff.
Cancelled
AG
I'm training for a 70.3. Yesterday was my first day running in the heat in Keto. I nearly died. I ran for 30 mins. Today I was supposed to bike but had a flat tire. I was able to run for 45. If I can keep going up 15 minutes per week, I'll be fine.
cs09
AG
My wife and I are thinking about trying Ketosis. Could someone recommend a link for a beginner? I went through a few pages on the thread but didn't see one.

We basically just need something that simply explains the process, do's and don'ts, and provides some recipes. I'm sure I could find something online, but figured if someone had particular success with their starting point it would be even more helpful. Thanks.
txagfisher
AG
Look at the reddit Keto Page. It helped immensely for me when starting out. There is a FAQ that is a decently lengthy read, but should clarify most of your questions.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Are your lifts going up?
irish pete ag06
AG
MosesHallEnforcer said:

Are your lifts going up?

Yes they have been. And I've gained some size. It's a long game, and I have to keep reminding that.

I've backed away from my PR sets lately to do some hypertrophy specific routines (widowmakers and BBB for anyone that knows Wendler's stuff)

I'm gonna do some PR tests next week.
irish pete ag06
AG
cs09 said:

My wife and I are thinking about trying Ketosis. Could someone recommend a link for a beginner? I went through a few pages on the thread but didn't see one.

We basically just need something that simply explains the process, do's and don'ts, and provides some recipes. I'm sure I could find something online, but figured if someone had particular success with their starting point it would be even more helpful. Thanks.

Reddit page ketogains also, especially if you are combining it with exercise.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'm on week three of this low carb/lazy keto diet and my squat/dl are still progressing but I feel like I've stalled on my weighted pull ups/chest press. Have you noticed anything similar?
cs09
AG
Thanks for the replies! I'll checkout the reddit pages.
irish pete ag06
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

I'm on week three of this low carb/lazy keto diet and my squat/dl are still progressing but I feel like I've stalled on my weighted pull ups/chest press. Have you noticed anything similar?

My pull-ups have progressed at a pretty rapid pace. Bench has been a bit slow.
bigtruckguy3500
Are you counting calories to get to a surplus for mass gains, or is it pretty intuitive? I have a hard time gaining mass, so I've been hesitant to try keto while trying to gain.
irish pete ag06
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Are you counting calories to get to a surplus for mass gains, or is it pretty intuitive? I have a hard time gaining mass, so I've been hesitant to try keto while trying to gain.

Yes. Using myfitnesspal

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.