Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,761 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
07fta07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would say no. I usually eat them, but I've stopped all protein bars/powder while I'm doing keto.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I eat them regularly, no issues. They are usually 4 or 5 net carbs.
07fta07
AG
Fair enough. I'm trying to bring my protein intake down from my normal range while on keto, so I've stopped eating any bars and protein powder for now.
Seven Costanza
AG
jjeffers1 said:

What's this board's opinion of Quest bars?

Nutrition Label Says

Total Carbs 21g
Fiber 14g
Sugars <1g
Erythritol 3g

Are these good for Keto? The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ones are pretty tasty.

You are probably already aware of this, but you can subtract fiber and erythritol from the total carbs to find how many "impact carbs" or "net carbs" there are in whatever you're eating (since fiber is indigestible). That means Quest Bars are really 3-4g of carbs, which fits into your goal is <20 pretty well.
irish pete ag06
AG
I tested the Kirkland bars on myself and they caused 0 increase in my blood sugar reading.

I eat them whenever I want.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Typically, how long does it take to get back to keto after a cheat meal? We went out with friends last night and I split a pizza with someone.I assume this is dependent on how quickly a person metabolizes food?
irish pete ag06
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

Typically, how long does it take to get back to keto after a cheat meal? We went out with friends last night and I split a pizza with someone.I assume this is dependent on how quickly a person metabolizes food?
I'd recommend fasting for at least 16 hours and that should help accelerate the process. I think it varies from person to person, but basically your muscles and liver were at least partially if not fully refilled from the gylcogen. Fasting will cause your body to burn that glycogen as energy therefore emptying glycogen stores and re-entering ketosis. Fasting + some type of activity (HIIT, cardio, weights) should accelerate the process. Probably within a day or 2.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Cool. I do a daily 16hr fast anyway and worked out this morning. Thanks.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've also found it depends on how long I've been in ketosis prior to the cheat, which kind of is the same as the glycogen stores statement. If I've been in keto for 3 weeks w/no cheats, I can eat whatever I want for a meal, fast the next morning/afternoon, and I'm good.

It's when you cheat several days in a row, mildly, each day, that it slowly starts you over from square 1, or you just say F it and ignore everything for 2 days.
Take the trash out staff.
AggieGunslinger
AG
This, I have been half assing it lately and when I have two slices of pizza it takes more than just a fast.
atag
AG
Been doing keto for a little over a week now. This is the best diet i have ever been on. I've never been overweight but always a little vanity weight that has annoyed me. I have gone from 149 to 141 in a week and a half. The first few days were hard....very drained of energy and definitely got a little lightheaded (sodium helped cure that). Now I'm at the point where I essentially have no cravings and I feel much fuller with smaller portions. I keep stepping on the scale expecting to have gained some weight back but the number keeps going down. I honestly can't believe this works.

The best part is that I'm cooking a lot more healthy and delicious meals for my family and not sacrificing on the taste. I love that going out is also very easy to do. There are so many things you can eat on keto. I was excited to find this thread as further validation of this lifestyle change.
FbgTxAg
AG
Any of you guys try WINK ice cream (or whatever it is)?
Sully
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

i've been doing keto since feb, and I've gone from a 42" waist, to a 38". I can get into a 36", but its comfortable yet.

Same here...dropped 18 lbs since Valentine's Day. This is absolutely a sustainable lifestyle shift for the rib & I. She's lost 22 lbs. And now the kiddos are off wheat (eat oat bread and almond flour), milk and most he obvious carbs.

Fat bombs are the bomb.com and Dr. Berg, Thomas DeLauer and Keto Connect make it easy for us to learn and grow.

We are in this for the longhaul!
irish pete ag06
AG
Sully said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

i've been doing keto since feb, and I've gone from a 42" waist, to a 38". I can get into a 36", but its comfortable yet.

Same here...dropped 18 lbs since Valentine's Day. This is absolutely a sustainable lifestyle shift for the rib & I. She's lost 22 lbs. And now the kiddos are off wheat (eat oat bread and almond flour), milk and most he obvious carbs.

Fat bombs are the bomb.com and Dr. Berg, Thomas DeLauer and Keto Connect make it easy for us to learn and grow.

We are in this for the longhaul!

Yep. People keep asking me when I'm gonna stop and I really don't know, this feels way more like a lifestyle than some type of diet with an end in mind. I will admit that gaining muscle/weight on this diet has been sloooow and hard. But I do believe it had been very good gains so far. Up around 3.5 pounds with little to no change in my waist.

KCKO, my man!

Editbviously chose wrong emoji.
Guitarsoup
AG
For Quest bars (which I always keep a few around) calculate those net carbs a little higher. They don't count sugar alcohol, but you can digest some of it, so count that sugar alcohol as 1/2 as many carbs as it looks like. So 4g sugar alcohol = 2g carbs.

Avoid it for the most part, but in a pinch, it will do.
Guitarsoup
AG
Not going to read this entire thread, but this guy's channel revolves around Keto and he uses a lot of sciency words that I don't understand, so I assume he is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer
irish pete ag06
AG
Guitarsoup said:

For Quest bars (which I always keep a few around) calculate those net carbs a little higher. They don't count sugar alcohol, but you can digest some of it, so count that sugar alcohol as 1/2 as many carbs as it looks like. So 4g sugar alcohol = 2g carbs.

Avoid it for the most part, but in a pinch, it will do.

Ive tested my blood sugar with Kirkland bars and saw 0 increase in blood glucose. Just FYI
Cancelled
AG
I've got a question. I'm seriously thinking about Keto diet but I am training for a 70.3. Normally during long bike rides and bricks I will drink a supplement that gets me through. I'm assuming that has super high carbs. How do I get the nutrients I need?

Also, assuming I am regularly in ketosis through training, what do I do about all the cokes and sugary drinks they hand out during the race? Is that dangerous if I normally train in ketosis?
irish pete ag06
AG
queso1 said:

I've got a question. I'm seriously thinking about Keto diet but I am training for a 70.3. Normally during long bike rides and bricks I will drink a supplement that gets me through. I'm assuming that has super high carbs. How do I get the nutrients I need?

Also, assuming I am regularly in ketosis through training, what do I do about all the cokes and sugary drinks they hand out during the race? Is that dangerous if I normally train in ketosis?

Jeff Volek. Go watch some of his YouTube stuff. He's been researching endurance athletes on keto diets and many of them are becoming so efficient at burning fat for fuel they don't bonk and need sugar during a race. It's pretty crazy.
_lefraud_
AG
What app do you guys use to track and/or get info on meals, etc? SIAP.
bam02
AG
I use my fitness pal
Ag97
AG
Started at 278 in December and weighed in at 245 this morning. My goal has been 230 which I haven't been at since my college days in the 90's. I'm now thinking about getting to 220 which I haven't been at since high school.
irish pete ag06
AG
You'll get there. Just stay the course my friend!
irish pete ag06
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Not going to read this entire thread, but this guy's channel revolves around Keto and he uses a lot of sciency words that I don't understand, so I assume he is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer
DeLauer is a bit of a polarizing figure among some of the intelligent keto people I correspond with. He seems to know his stuff, but some folks think he takes some extreme stances just for the shock value and to get discussion going therefore more video views. Kind of a click bait approach even though he is legitimate.
aggierandie
AG
Howdy all. I apologize in advance for the length of this. I have been a lurker for quite some time now. My wife and I began Keto on February 5th of this year. I married way out of my league. She was 159 lbs at 5'7" tall and is now down to 145 lbs. I was 263 lbs at 5'9" tall. I was by definition morbidly obese, with all of my weight in my torso. I have very broad shoulders and essentially carry all of my weight from my neck to my waist. I am now down to 235 lbs and went from a 40" waist to easily fitting into 36" jeans. We both consider this to be a lifestyle change and will continue even after I hit my 215 lb goal.

This thread has been a godsend. We both love the Kirkland bars and if we have the occasional sweet tooth at night, we will grab an Atkins bar. I do have a question though. When we started, a typical weekday started with bacon and eggs at around 6:30, chicken salad, a cheese stick and some carrots at around noon, and a grilled protein with broccoli for dinner. This worked for a while, but I'm not really a breakfast person and began trying the intermittent fasting, trying not to eat between 8 pm and noon the next day. This worked very well until I began to plateau at 240 lbs. I have now begun to wake up at 5:15 am and start jogging again. I have walked/jogged 2.5 miles three mornings this week. The problem that I'm having now is that after my jogs, I am exhausted and have an insatiable hunger by about 8 am and cannot make it until noon. Is this normal? Will I get over it with time? By my account, I'm only burning about 350 calories in my session. The only supplement that I'm taking is LyteShow for the electrolytes. Thanks in advance!
irish pete ag06
AG
Awesome job on the success so far.

How long have you been running fasted? If it's been a few days, I would push through for a couple of weeks then re-evaluate. I weight trained fasted when I was eating at a deficit and the first week or 2 was rough, but my body adapted and I would make it to 12 to eat without the hunger being overwhelming.

You may want to recalculate your macros now that you are nearly 40 pounds lighter, I think sometimes that is what causes plateaus just as much as anything. I am partial to the Ketogains calculator out there, but I've currenlty switched to nSuns TDEE tracker. I am a numbers nerd and prefer to have my own calculations. Turns out my TDEE is quite higher than I thought (2500 calories per day), I wasn't gaining any weight using online tracker numbers. I adjusted it myself and boom the weight started tracking up.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I love the nSuns TDEE spreadsheet (love his 5 day LP program also). Simple to use.

How is the weight gain going for you? I'm about a month in to my 'lean bulk' and have put on ~ 2 lbs, which I think is about the track I want to be on. After cutting for nearly a year, it really is a different mindset to force myself to get the calories needed.
irish pete ag06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I love the nSuns TDEE spreadsheet (love his 5 day LP program also). Simple to use.

How is the weight gain going for you? I'm about a month in to my 'lean bulk' and have put on ~ 2 lbs, which I think is about the track I want to be on. After cutting for nearly a year, it really is a different mindset to force myself to get the calories needed.
It's been slooow, but steady. The satiating effect of eating keto actually makes it hard to eat that much. My go-tos have been increasing nuts and finding ways to add butter or heavy cream to just about anything I eat. My lowest weight was 165 flat and this morning, 10 weeks later I weigh 168.5. 3.5 pounds gained but nothing gained in my waist, so i'm happy about that. Been trying to take some pics along the way and it seems like size is being added in the right spots. My neck has increased about a quarter inch... I use the navy fat calculator, so that seems to indicated that lean mass has gone up with very little fat gain.

This is a weekly log I've kept since the very beginning. Everything below the line at week 15 has been the lean bulk.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Very nice, dude. Keep it up.
You have an end goal?
irish pete ag06
AG
Thanks! Originally was an arbitrarily set 170 pounds, then re-evaluate, but I think I am going to try and continue through the entire summer. I'm a football coach, so just maintaining during football season would be a huge win.
Max Power
AG
I don't cheat often, but I have figured out the worst thing I can cheat meal with is any kind of bread. No major issues with the occasional potato, rice, even sugar, but bread just makes me feel like total garbage now. We went camping/hiking this weekend and I had a couple of hot dogs and that did more to me than all the miles we did hiking.

Since I don't live in Texas I for better or worse, don't have access to any restaurants that I would consider to be a vice. But I have a wedding back in Houston in a couple of weeks and I'm sort of dreading it for that reason. I have access to nothing in the realm of Mexican/tex-mex that anyone would want to spend their money on and I'm headed back to the belly of the beast. I can try to focus on fajitas and guac, but chips and salsa is always a weakness. Also how many Whataburgers will I pass over the course of the weekend? Several hundred in my estimation.

At least the cheats will be worth it, I miss Texas food as much as I do Texas people.
Guitarsoup
AG
Buttery popcorn with a movie and the occasional #5 with large fries at Whataburger are my main cheats.
irish pete ag06
AG
Max Power said:

I don't cheat often, but I have figured out the worst thing I can cheat meal with is any kind of bread. No major issues with the occasional potato, rice, even sugar, but bread just makes me feel like total garbage now. We went camping/hiking this weekend and I had a couple of hot dogs and that did more to me than all the miles we did hiking.

Since I don't live in Texas I for better or worse, don't have access to any restaurants that I would consider to be a vice. But I have a wedding back in Houston in a couple of weeks and I'm sort of dreading it for that reason. I have access to nothing in the realm of Mexican/tex-mex that anyone would want to spend their money on and I'm headed back to the belly of the beast. I can try to focus on fajitas and guac, but chips and salsa is always a weakness. Also how many Whataburgers will I pass over the course of the weekend? Several hundred in my estimation.

At least the cheats will be worth it, I miss Texas food as much as I do Texas people.
Dude, Mexican food is the number 1 vice of mine too, but it's been surprising easy to keto. You've got the bones of it down, focus on a dish that features a large amount of protein and make sure to get a lot of avocado, sour cream, and cheese in there too.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Fajitas with no rice and no tortillas extra guac please
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, I just do Fajitas with a fork. No tortillas, no rice. Sometimes a few pinto beans, but never refried.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.