Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,741 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have thoughts on products that drop ketones into your system?

https://mpmf.pruvitnow.com/
JamesBREI06
AG
From following some of the premier Keto athletes on various social media platforms, I believe this is completely unnecessary. Literally pissing away money. If you are looking for short term energy production i recommend MCT oil, but start off with 1/3 dose or you may have GI discomfort
Guitarsoup
AG
No reason to buy anything like that.

Keep your diet right and you won't have issues.
fire09
AG
Agree with Guitarsoup/oreos completely. No need to manipulate ketone production outside of the parameters of a strict diet. An update on my progress, I am off the diet, completed at 65 days losing 27 lbs when I hit my target weight of 168. I am currently maintaining, focusing on portion control, metabolism maintenance (smaller more frequent meals) and maintaining my exercise routine. I highly recommend the diet, it has been much easier for me to avoid my bad habits after the diet than it was to stick to the diet, so it does get easier!
Dan Scott
AG
Been doing this for 1.5 weeks or a variation of it, basically cutting carbs big time, but stumbled on a thanksgiving, I couldn't help myself. I lost 5 pounds with 2 being fat and 3 water. I lost lean muscle but mostly water because I was taking creative before as well.

The first 3 days sucked and my stomach felt terrible eating lots of broccoli but I started drinking some peppermint tea to help in digestion and feel great. I live across the street from Whole Foods so that helps make it easy and convenient. I miss a lot of the fruit I use to eat but that's been replaced with Kale to snack on.
combat wombat™
AG
I've been doing a low carb diet for 4 weeks and I am down 14 lbs. It would be closer to 20 had I not allowed myself a normal Thanksgiving. I did low-carb in the 90s and lost >20lbs. I have way more weight to lose now.

I am fortunate that the cafeteria in the building next door has a grill where I can get a hamburger patty or a grilled chicken breast. They also usually have vegetables that are suitable, but I also keep canned green beans in my desk drawer in case there's a day where they don't have something else suitable.

I also keep hard salami, cheese, raspberries, and SF jello in a little lunchbox in the office refrigerator.

The one thing that's helped me the most? I found a very easy recipe for sugar-free mini cheesecakes that is AWESOME. 4 grams of net carb per cup-cake sized cake. I have 1 or 2 a day. I used to make a different SF cheesecake, but it took too long and didn't taste as good. The mini cheesecakes cook in 30 minutes. I eat them for breakfast when I can't stomach another egg.
Rudyjax
AG
So you think you didn't lose 6 more because of one meal?
combat wombat™
AG
One whole day plus one meal. I gained about 5 lbs, and it took me almost a week to take them back off.
JamesBREI06
AG
combat wombat said:

One whole day plus one meal. I gained about 5 lbs, and it took me almost a week to take them back off.

eating carbs will cause an instant weight gain due to the way water attaches to carbohydrate molecules. Also, I'm down another pound and 1/2 and still getting stronger.
combat wombat™
AG
Yes, I know. Weight gain from chain can be POUNDS PER DAY.
Rudyjax
AG
That's why I feel this diet is not maintainable.
combat wombat™
AG
Unthought Known said:

As I mentioned previously, I lost 20 pounds on this diet in the '90s. I gained 3 pounds immediately when I went off but the remainder stayed off. The weight gain since has not been because of the diet but rather lifestyle changes.

Once you reach your weight goal you add more carbs back in. But focus on lower glycemic fruits and vegetables and grains for daily consumption.

(Edited for stupid phone's auto-correcting glycemic to glycerine.)
JamesBREI06
AG
combat wombat said:

Unthought Known said:

As I mentioned previously, I lost 20 pounds on this diet in the '90s. I gained 3 pounds immediately when I went off but the remainder stayed off. The weight gain since has not been because of the diet but rather lifestyle changes.

Once you reach your weight goal you add more carbs back in. But focus on lower glycerin fruits and vegetables and grains for daily consumption.
I personally will never regularly eat grains again. I'll re introduce potatoes, squashes, and eggplant, but will stay away from rice and wheat except when having beer (I'm a craft beer guy. That is by far the hardest part of all this, and basically 90% of my "cheating")
P.U.T.U
AG
Sumlins Oreos said:

combat wombat said:

eating carbs will cause an instant weight gain due to the way water attaches to carbohydrate molecules. Also, I'm down another pound and 1/2 and still getting stronger.

No it won't. Plus your body treats "sugar free" stuff about the same as sugar.
combat wombat™
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Sumlins Oreos said:

combat wombat said:

No it won't. Plus your body treats "sugar free" stuff about the same as sugar
I immediately gain weight after a carb cheat. I do not gain weight after eating sugar-free cheesecake - I continue to lose. What are you trying to say?
Guitarsoup
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Sumlins Oreos said:

combat wombat said:

Not according to the test strips that test the ketones in my body.
AggieChemist
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Sumlins Oreos said:

combat wombat said:

There is some evidence that the sugar imitations light up receptors in the brain to trigger hormone changes (insulin, leptin, ghrelin etc), leading to increased hunger/etc, but the sugar free stuff isn't going to spike your blood sugar, or be stored as glycogen, or put you out of ketosis.
AggieChemist
AG
And carbs do get stored with water. 4g of water per 1g of carbs. That's why you piss like a racehorse and lose so much water weight when you go low carb after being on a "normal" diet.
JamesBREI06
AG
Bumping to say I ended the year at 163
Sq1dvm
AG
Hey gang, I know I'm late to the party here. This thread was the first thing that popped up under a search. I started a keto diet about 3 weeks ago at 285lbs, now I'm down about 15 and feeling great. My question for those who have done some fasting with this is what do you think is better? Having a high fat intake or fasting? Basically I can hit 70-80% of calories from fat if I have breakfast (even if I have keto or bulletproof coffee) but I really don't get hungry until lunch. I feel great when I skip breakfast for a daily 18hr fast, but I can't seem to get my fat high enough if I don't. Thoughts?
TxAggies2012
started Keto on Jan 8 at 337.

Currently at 294. And that's without any real exercise other than golf or working on things outdoors on weekends.

About to kick the working out into high gear. Not only has the weight loss been great, but removing all that ****ty food from my diet made me feel so much better overall (this is where all the healthy eaters say "no ****, sherlock!" )

I've been a lazy keto cooker for the most part, but lately i've been trying to get into more experimental meals and branching out from my basics.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
That's awesome. Just to let you know (being completely honest don't know much about Keto) but from a scientific standpoint all you have to do to lose weight is consume less calories than you expend each day (eating less). If you know how many calories you're consuming and your average daily expenditure you don't need to excercise to lose weight. You probably won't be healthy if you do that but you'll lose weight for sure. These Keto this and that are usually just great marketing but I'm glad it has worked for you (most definitely because you're just consuming less calories than before)

Also not saying you should stop but I feel like most people don't even know it's literally your calorie intake that determines weight loss/gain. A Harvard professor once did a study where he ate twinkies and protein shakes every day and lost a ton of weight. He obviously wasn't healthy but you get the point. Carry on.
TxAggies2012
Oh yeah, I know at the end of the day it's all about calories in/calories out. But switching the diet sort of gave me a responsibility to not eat fast food, or fried chicken, etc.

I think more than anything it has helped me realize I don't need the temporary satisfaction that chic fil a brings me, etc. I can eat plenty good in a different way. Now that I've lost some of the worst of the weight, I'm much more inclined to begin adding exercise and weights.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
That's awesome man! Yeah that's what I made sure to throw in I'm not saying to stop, but once you make it a habit you'll be able to diversify your nutrition and eat more carbs and really most anything you want which will give you the energy to lift, etc.

Where were you planning on getting your workout regiment from?
TxAggies2012
I have a buddy who does a lot of kettlebell and free weight work, and he has a pretty solid basic routine outlined to get me started learning the swings and methodology. Then once I'm comfortable with that I'll start to increase the weight and intensity.

I'm a pretty athletic guy by nature, even as a big guy. Sports all through HS, etc. I used to play pick up basketball 4 nights a week at around 240-250,etc 5+ years ago......I just let myself go for a handful of years. Time to get back into playing shape, and closer to 200 than 240 when all is said and done.
wbt5845
AG
Sumlins Oreos said:

Just wanted to update. Started at 205 now back in the 160s! Football season has proven difficult to plan around as tailgate food/beer is my biggest vice, but I've still been able to lose more.
Username checks out!

Congrats, bro!
wbt5845
AG
I am interested in this as well.

I started Camp Gladiator a month ago. That 3 days a week plus a 3 mile run five times a week has yielded a 6 pound weight loss in one month.

I'm 55 years old, so weight comes off a lot more slowly after 50.

I'm interested in this ketogenic diet as well. Not long term, of course - that much fat can't be good for you long term. But just to accelerate the weight loss to help my run times.
ftaggie09
AG
Does anyone listen to Vinnie Tortorich? He preaches ketosis through what he calls NSNG (No Sugar No Grains)
He has a podcast that can be annoying at times and a little repetitive but he does have good info
Signel
AG
3 years on Keto/low carb. It is a lifestyle change for sure. Some things that have been imperative in my success were Joseph's pita pockets for when you are on the run, and mission 3net carb tortillas. I get one of either of these a day in a pinch so I can generally eat anywhere they have meat and veggies.

Some important facts... caloric intake is still important if you want to drop lbs. If you do not follow your macros/goals, you will stagnate.

Salt... you will run low because you are no longer eating all the processed foods.. Broth and Poweraid Zero work for me.

Buy meat in bulk and buy an instapot so you can cook quickly at home. You really don't (and shouldn't) eat bunless burgers daily.

Beware the hidden carbs! When you eat out, you'd be amazed where companies will hide carbs. Eggs mixed with pancake batter (ihop.) Corn Syrup in damn near everything. Sugar mixed in with spices on all kinds of dry rubs.

Cheat days set you way back, and are usually not worth it because you will extend them a few more meals. Trust me, until you've 'keto adapted' years down the road, you will fail faster if you cheat.

Alcohol will slow you down as well, because it is burned as fuel. Dump beer. I drink bourbon but limit it to once every few weeks and only in moderation because of the keto hangovers. Trust me, you are not special and if you get hammered, you will wake up with the worst hangover of your life.

There is so much more to talk about that I don't have time to get into, but the best thing you can do is go ask questions at reddit.com/r/keto. Those people know the diet very well, and can guide you. I doubt i'll check back or respond to this though. Good luck! It can be a wonderful way to reverse your weight and get your life in order.
polksalet12345
I've been eating less than 20g carbs for 6 week and weight loss has stopped. Blood sugar has dropped tremendously and stabilized which is great. Bp has barely dropped. Mixed results I guess.
jonj101
Started keto through a brand called Ideal Protein on 4/14. Starting weight was 290 and I'm now around 277. They had my ideal weight around 194, but back in college days/early 20's my in shape weight was 215. I'll be happy with 215-220.

One thing I notice is that even on days where the weight seems to stay the same or the loss stagnates, the clothes still fit looser. I've already retired one belt, and I had one day where I literally had to tighten a belt more than I did that morning. Hope this loss continues and it works for the long run.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Do y'all drink alcohol on the keto diet? I've jut started and want to stick to it as much as possible. I was just wondering if I need to eliminate alcohol altogether or if there are options. Not a big deal either way, just curious.
752bro4
AG
I have found liquors work best. Mix vodka with topo or a flavored water, or add a twist of lime. No beer, minimal red wine, no white wine. Whiskey and ice. I went no booze for the first two weeks. Note that a drink or two has more impact than it would have previously.
JamesBREI06
AG
Distilled liquor and dry red wine. But be careful. Booze hits hard without carbs
Whoop!
PrincessButtercup
AG
Sumlins Oreos said:

Distilled liquor and dry red wine. But be careful. Booze hits hard without carbs

You're two rum and diets too late on that advice

I looked it up before my networking event this evening but they didn't have the no carb disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.