Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,750 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
MrPlow2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm down 73lbs since January 15. Keto is awesome. I'm getting a cookbook from ketoconnect delivered today. I watch a lot of their videos for recipes. My wife is down 32 as well.

This drink sounds weird and gross but I swear I can feel the effects of it. I drink a glass of water mixed with orange flavor heb brand metamucil and two teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and one squirt of stevia. I usually just chug it down fast. I had been stalled out in my weight loss but then I had added the ACV and I have been losing weight again.
irish pete ag06
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

I'm down 73lbs since January 15. Keto is awesome. I'm getting a cookbook from ketoconnect delivered today. I watch a lot of their videos for recipes. My wife is down 32 as well.

This drink sounds weird and gross but I swear I can feel the effects of it. I drink a glass of water mixed with orange flavor heb brand metamucil and two teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and one squirt of stevia. I usually just chug it down fast. I had been stalled out in my weight loss but then I had added the ACV and I have been losing weight again.

ACV is some pretty awesome stuff.
Sully
AG
Yep, ACV is the shiznit. I take a 2 Tbs shot of it in the morning mixed with pink salt, No salt and Stevia.
irish pete ag06
AG
Coming back to post this... Here's a screenshot:

https://imgur.com/VfB6oAh

In summary the last 3 weeks, here's my daily average calories eaten...
* Week 1 - 2919
* Week 2 - 3131
* Week 3 - 3418

Average Weight Gained:
* Week 1 - 0.13 Pounds... (2 freaking ounces)
* Week 2 - 0.20 Pounds... (Wow, 3 ounces)
* Week 3 - NEGATIVE 0.15 pounds (lost weight at nearly 3500 calories per day)

I'm probably going to continue to run this for at least the next week then I might experiment with adding some non-sugar and non-wheat carbs back into my diet to see if the gains come easier. I can see keto being the top dog when it comes to losing weight and maintaining being lean, but my goodness it feels impossible to gain on this diet right now.
Guitarsoup
AG
Today hit 30 lbs lost since April 1 and 43lbs lost total.
irish pete ag06
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Today hit 30 lbs lost since April 1 and 43lbs lost total.

Wow. Congrats!
Max Power
AG
I think my wife has given up on this diet. She was in a weight loss contest at the gym she goes to, ended up taking second place, was real close to first. I was really proud of how hard she worked. Not long after the contest was over she started back with the garbage food. I've been doing it long enough that I don't consider it a diet anymore, it's just how I eat. I'm glad my wife is sticking with the exercise but getting rid of the junk food is the main reason she lost the weight, I'm disappointed, no way to bring it up in conversation without it going horribly wrong.
irish pete ag06
AG
Max Power said:

I think my wife has given up on this diet. She was in a weight loss contest at the gym she goes to, ended up taking second place, was real close to first. I was really proud of how hard she worked. Not long after the contest was over she started back with the garbage food. I've been doing it long enough that I don't consider it a diet anymore, it's just how I eat. I'm glad my wife is sticking with the exercise but getting rid of the junk food is the main reason she lost the weight, I'm disappointed, no way to bring it up in conversation without it going horribly wrong.

Man I'm sorry to hear that. That's a tough spot to be in. I think if you just keep trucking along without making things to big of a deal I bet she starts migrating back over after some of that water weight hits again.
harge57
AG
Max Power said:

Obviously you understand to tread lightly.

Sounds like the competition was good for her.

Maybe find something new for yall to train for together. Suggest to her yall do something together like a 10k or something based on her skill level that she would train for.

Maybe if there is some official goal out there that will motivate her to get the diet back on track.

Also, you don't have to go full keto to eat pretty dang healthy. Yall can eat pretty close to the same food without her going full keto, but still be really successfull. Think good meat every night, but she can add in veggies sweet potatoes etc. I think the real key is no refined carbs and sugars.
atag
AG
Max Power said:

That sucks....weight is such a sensitive subject for sure. There are a couple of different ways to handle it though. You can be honest in the kindest way possible and she will be pissed but then she may use that as her wake up call. I had a bf comment that I had gained weight. I cried my ass off but then I kicked it into gear and lost the weight and was so much happier. He wasn't mean about it so I got over it.

The other thing you can do is focus solely on the health aspect of it. Tell her that you want to focus on your health and that you can't do it alone and need her support to do it together.
irish pete ag06
AG
Gonna experiment on myself.

Gonna re introduce carbs this week on a limited basis. I think keto is superior as a maintenance and weight loss diet but trying to gain muscle on it has been a struggle.

Only gonna add yams and rice... will lower fat to compensate. Still gonna eat a boat load of protein. Probably run this for about 6-7 weeks then re-evaluate.
Vascular Ag
AG
Irish,

You might want to look up the anabolic diet. Cyclical ketogenic with 5 days low carb then 2 days higher carb. Works well for gaining maas without adding fat
irish pete ag06
AG
Vascular Ag said:

Irish,

You might want to look up the anabolic diet. Cyclical ketogenic with 5 days low carb then 2 days higher carb. Works well for gaining maas without adding fat

I'll check that out gonna run Stan Efferding's vertical diet for a while. It's not anything magical, but he focuses on whole food carbs that don't cause gas and indigestion. Which is huge for me. I had bad heartburn prior to keto.

It's mostly white rice and steak.
TayTrox
AG
Anyone having issues drinking alcohol? I had ONE drink last night (whiskey on the rocks) and woke up this morning and threw up 6 times. I didn't recover until 4pm.

It was my first drink since being on the diet. Any suggestions would be great! I would hate to give up alcohol!
07fta07
AG
It definitely makes a difference. The first time I had a glass of wine, I woke up feeling like I drank a bottle of wine. I've found I can have a couple beers, but that's about it. Wine doesn't seem to be ok for me with zero carbs. I haven't tried liquor.
atag
AG
I'm a liquor drinker as is....oddly enough I was okay the next day.
_lefraud_
AG
Doing whiskey and water might help next time.
harge57
AG
TayTrox34 said:

Anyone having issues drinking alcohol? I had ONE drink last night (whiskey on the rocks) and woke up this morning and threw up 6 times. I didn't recover until 4pm.

It was my first drink since being on the diet. Any suggestions would be great! I would hate to give up alcohol!

I had a similar experience. Definitely don't try it out at a work function like I did. Luckily it didn't really hit until I was home.
TayTrox
AG
harge57 said:

TayTrox34 said:

I had a similar experience. Definitely don't try it out at a work function like I did. Luckily it didn't really hit until I was home.
I feel you, man. I went to bed after my ONE drink and chugging 32oz of water. Barely tipsy. Woke up in the morning with the worst hangover I've ever had. Worse than my 21st birthday, bachelor party, and my brother's wedding where I did a 34 second keg stand. I haven't thrown up while sober in 16 years. Not fun.
bigtruckguy3500
So I did a little reading since I was curious as to why hangovers are so much worse on keto.

Apparently your body is normally metabolizing carbs, fat, and protein (in that order), and when you add alcohol into the mix, it kind of hops in line with those other 3 (probably before protein and somewhere around fat). When you're depleted of carbs, you're only metabolizing fat and protein, so alcohol get metabolized at a much higher rate. This means that the toxic component of the alcohol metabolism (acetaldehyde), the one responsible for the hangover and everything else, accumulates in your system much faster than your body can get rid of it as it saturates the normal detoxification process.
Guitarsoup
AG
Me in the Aggie Polo on April 1st with manboobs and a gut hanging over the waistline I could barely fit in. 212#

~60 days later:

181#

Pants are 34" slim fit, but I fit into 33s comfortably. Shirt is a H&M medium slim fit.
irish pete ag06
AG
Congrats man!
AggieGunslinger
AG
Great work!

Why are you taking pictures in a public restroom.
Guitarsoup
AG
That is the entry hallway in Atascocita High School. My daughter had a ballet recital there yesterday.
AggieGunslinger
wbt5845
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That is the entry hallway in Atascocita High School. My daughter had a ballet recital there yesterday.
TIL the entryway of Atascocita HS is a public restroom.

So I'm starting back on keto today. I've held at 210 lbs for several months now through the spring eating season. Wanna shake about 10 more - maybe 20. It'll help my running times a bunch I'm sure.

I don't think keto is a long term solution for me - just doesn't fit my lifestyle. But I wanted to prove I could eat carbs again without gaining weight and I did. I now want to be at my fighting weight before football season so I can drink beer at Aggie games.

EDIT: Latest before and after pics (from race Saturday morning).

07fta07
AG
I'm about 1 month in and have dropped 10 pounds and several % body fat to where I'm now comfortably into the single digits. My goal when I started was to drop 15 pounds and then return to "normal eating". I'm close to meeting my goal.

The dilemma now is that I don't think keto is sustainable long term for me, but I feel so much better after eating like this for a month. For those that have transitioned off keto, what does your diet look like so it's sustainable without too much extra effort, but doesn't cause you to put the bad weight back on? My goal was to get down to 180 so I could afford to put back on a few pounds and hover around 185, so I will have the luxury of being able to gain back a few pounds without feeling like I blew it.

Guitarsoup
AG
When I've transitioned off keto, my diet is almost exclusively Whataburger #5, pizza, chicken fried steak and ice cream.
_lefraud_
AG
I'm not ready to transition, but I've already learned how "bad" I was eating prior, which should help if/when I choose to eat "normal" again. I've been doing around 30 net carbs or so a day, whereas "normal" eating for me was probably 5 or 6 times that. I feel like when I'm ready, I'll just continue to cut out the sugar drinks (tea and coke), or the huge amounts of bread/grain that I use to consume (think 6in sub instead of 12in), and just be cognizant of portion/carb control. At the end of the day, 50 or 75 net carbs a day is much better than 150-200 net carbs, right?

I've never been big on sweets, which has really helped.
irish pete ag06
AG
I've transitioned to eating kind of the "vertical diet" that Stan Efferding promotes. Tons of steak or ground beef (not the generic stuff, ground sirloin, round, or chuck) and white rice and yams are the main carb source. Don't get me wrong, I've had an IPA or 3 since I haven't been able to enjoy one while keto. Also still eating a crap load of eggs. I'm eating around 3250 to 3000 calories while doing Jim Wendler's Building the Monolith in the weight room. Trying to add some major mass. The main thing I've wanted to avoid with carbs is getting digest issues again. Mainly being heartburn and acid reflux. It was almost non-existent on keto. I still drink so sugar drinks and eat little to no bread.
TayTrox
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

doesn't metamucil have a lot of sugar in it though?
wbt5845
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I'm not ready to transition, but I've already learned how "bad" I was eating prior, which should help if/when I choose to eat "normal" again. I've been doing around 30 net carbs or so a day, whereas "normal" eating for me was probably 5 or 6 times that. I feel like when I'm ready, I'll just continue to cut out the sugar drinks (tea and coke), or the huge amounts of bread/grain that I use to consume (think 6in sub instead of 12in), and just be cognizant of portion/carb control. At the end of the day, 50 or 75 net carbs a day is much better than 150-200 net carbs, right?

I've never been big on sweets, which has really helped.

This is a good approach. I've tried to simply avoid the "gratuitous" carbs - whole baked potatoes, dinner rolls, sugared cereals. I don't worry too much about some rice, or a little sugar in barbeque sauce, of a beer every now and then.

Frankly, trying to avoid processed sugar (easy for me as I don't have much of a sweet tooth) is probably enough to keep most guy's weight under control from.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Even if I don't keep Keto long term it has greatly opened my eyes to how much sugar is in everything.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Even if I don't keep Keto long term it has greatly opened my eyes to how much sugar is in everything.

100% this. It's changed me forever.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

AggieGunslinger said:

100% this. It's changed me forever.
We religiously look at all nutrition labels now to try to find things with minimal to no added sugar.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.