Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,692 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
irish pete ag06
AG
Just a little update. Waist has dropped to .1 inch below my original goal waist. I ate at maintenance calories for about a week and a half when I hit this and now I'm dropping back into a deficit. I've decided another inch is needed to get to my body fat goal of below 15%. So far, according to navy fat calculator, I've dropped from 23% to 17% body fat in 78 days.

Strengthwise, I still have yet to hit a solid plateau. I was worried my bench was plateauing, but I had an 8 pound increase on my max yesterday. On a lift to body weight ratio, I have surpassed where I was last year on my maxes.

That table shows squat, bench, dead lift, and overhead press ratio (lift / body weight)

Now, my lifts have not caught up to where they were last year total, but they are getting damn close. I'm interested to see what they do once they get into uncharted territory for myself.
wbt5845
AG
Bob_Ag said:

Bet that feels good! Good job!

It feels ****ing awesome!
Geriatric Punk
AG
wbt5845 said:

Seriously, enjoy the 5-7 pound per week loss rates, guys - when you get to the simply "overweight" vs. "obese" weights, it comes off a lot slower.
Fully.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
AggieChemist
AG
wbt5845 said:

UPDATE: as of this morning, I am now 12 pounds from my target weight. 78 lbs lost - 12 to go.

My latest before & after.

Thanks keto!
Great job! Here's mine. 300 lbs vs. 230. Not all done on keto, but the last 30 lbs have been.

irish pete ag06
AG
AggieChemist said:

wbt5845 said:

UPDATE: as of this morning, I am now 12 pounds from my target weight. 78 lbs lost - 12 to go.

Thanks keto!
Great job! Here's mine. 300 lbs vs. 230. Not all done on keto, but the last 30 lbs have been.

Well done. You've got #BeardGains also. I like it. I've been doing the same thing with my beard since I started.
AggieChemist
AG
Beards burn calories.
wbt5845
AG
When mine turned gray, I cut it off. I look old enough as it is.
AggieChemist
AG
Meh. Mine's half grey.
Woods Ag
AG
Do cigars kill Ketosis?

I haven't had a carb since beer last Friday, but I ain't giving up my cigars..
irish pete ag06
AG
I doubt smoking would cause a glycemic response in the body, so I doubt it would knock you out of ketosis.
AggieChemist
AG
Woods Ag said:

Do cigars kill Ketosis?

I haven't had a carb since beer last Friday, but I ain't giving up my cigars..

Hope not. Enjoying a Lot 826 and three fingers of reposado at the moment
Max Power
AG
Just wanted to say to everyone that is losing weight to keep it up. My dumbass brother in law, who is a 40 year old type 1 diabetic, ended up in this hospital this week. He literally never monitors his blood, came home from work vomiting, his wife made him check and his blood sugar was over 800. Doctors said he should be in a coma, no idea how he was conscious. Getting read the riot act, this is his last chance to get his **** together. I've literally never seen anyone that drinks the amount of soda he does in my life, idiot.
irish pete ag06
AG
Max Power said:

Just wanted to say to everyone that is losing weight to keep it up. My dumbass brother in law, who is a 40 year old type 1 diabetic, ended up in this hospital this week. He literally never monitors his blood, came home from work vomiting, his wife made him check and his blood sugar was over 800. Doctors said he should be in a coma, no idea how he was conscious. Getting read the riot act, this is his last chance to get his **** together. I've literally never seen anyone that drinks the amount of soda he does in my life, idiot.
Damn man. I hate to hear that.

I'm gonna be honest, watching my grandmother, who I love dearly, just absolutely refuse to have the slightest inkling to take care of herself and go through type II diabetes is a big motivator for me to make sure I stay as healthy as possible. I've already talked to my mom about this way of eating to drop some weight because her build is very similar to my grandmother's.
wbt5845
AG
Max Power said:

My doc made it clear I was going to die - he was downright savage with me. Too many doctors are afraid of bad reviews and aren't as tough as mine. I hope your brother's doc goes medieval on him. Only thing us dumb asses often can understand.
wbt5845
AG
AggieChemist said:

wbt5845 said:

Thanks keto!

That really is awesome. I too started just exercising more, lost some, got stuck, then went to keto.
irish pete ag06
AG
Just in case you run into those people that claim diet drinks are worse for you than the regular sugared up sodas.

https://instagr.am/p/BflDZ6wFUo6

I'm obviously not advocating drinking 100 oz of diet soda a day, but the study this dude cites actually kind of OC firmed what I used diet soda for. Sometimes after a meal, when that dessert craving starts to happen, I drink some diet soda to satisfy that.
Woods Ag
AG
the way I understand it the podcasts and articles I've read on the subject: diet soda is fine for diabetics because they can't have sugar. But for those whose goal is weight loss, the fake sugar in diet drinks has a similar effect as regular cola minus the reduction in calories. Your body doesn't know how to break fake sugar down and so it stores it.

That may be bull***** I don't know. I will say from personal experience that I am leaner when drinking mainly water then I am on the periods when I go on a diet soda spree.
irish pete ag06
AG
I really believe that everyone's body is different, so if you feel healthy on water alone then go for it.

All of the "effects" of diet soda seem to be psychological things. That it causes some people to crave more sweets or eat more food. The 2014 study linked in that instagram post is what I've personally experienced. ]

Quote:

Why didn't the water drinkers lose as much weight as the diet-soda drinkers? It must be that people who drank water ended up jonesing for sweetness. In other words, water drinkers felt hungrier and they often succumbed to that hunger, which is the opposite of the effect theorized by the Texas group.
I've been using diet soda as basically a dessert option for when a sweet craving hits me.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I drink water all day at work and diet caffeine free DP at night. I drink too much of the DP, but I haven't noticed an impact in my ability to lose weight. I too use it often as a sweet tooth crutch.

My water consumption during the week is significant. It's heavier in the AM and drops in 1/2 in the PM. In the morning I'll drink a glass, and urinate, every 30 minutes. In the afternoon it's closer to once an hour or every 75 minutes. It's much lower on the weekends. I don't know why, probably just that I haven't conditioned myself during the weekend to constantly drink water. When I travel for work I also consume significantly less water (and zero diet soda).

I think one risk w/the diet sodas is the impact of the chemicals in your body. For all I know, I'll grow a 3rd eye when I hit 70.
Madmarttigan
AG
Has anyone found that their gut is responding unfavorably to the diet... and what they did to remedy. Was fine the first few weeks but having a rough week
irish pete ag06
AG
tv1113 said:

Has anyone found that their gut is responding unfavorably to the diet... and what they did to remedy. Was fine the first few weeks but having a rough week

I would try to eliminate 1 thing at a time and see if it helps. I was supplementing magnesium and I was getting random bouts of diarrhea. Stopped taking it and I've been fine since.

Everyone's body is different, so it's really trial and error.
Geriatric Punk
AG
It might be in my head, but I feel much better avoiding diet drinks.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
irish pete ag06
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

It might be in my head, but I feel much better avoiding diet drinks.

Then I'd avoid them. I actually warped my way of thinking a while back to think well the diet drinks are so bad for you, I might as well just drink the real thing.

The science seems to say that biologically, diet drinks shouldn't affect fat loss. Do I think people should drink 120 oz a day of Diet Coke, absolutely not. But an occasional diet soda to nip a little sugar craving or whatever shouldn't hurt.
SJEAg
AG
My vice is the diet Powerade. I like sport drinks after running and I chug the stuff. Think sucralose is better than aspartame but it's probably still not good.
irish pete ag06
AG
SJEAg said:

My vice is the diet Powerade. I like sport drinks after running and I chug the stuff. Think sucralose is better than aspartame but it's probably still not good.

Still better than high fructose corn syrup.
bam02
AG
tv1113 said:

Could be the keto flu. I got extreme nausea couple of weeks in the two times I've gone keto. If it's that it's an electrolyte issue. Drink some chicken broth.
irish pete ag06
AG
I make my own ketoade every morning.

Gram of salt
Gram of no-salt
5 grams of creatine
About 5-6 oz of water
Squirt of blue raspberry drink flavoring
Chug it.
Shelton98
AG
SJEAg said:

My vice is Propel (kiwi-strawberry). Awesome.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Most of us already know this stuff... but still an interesting video none the less.

https://www.today.com/video/food-myths-debunked-whole-milk-may-be-healthier-than-skim-1172604483944?v=b
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah was definitely nauseous almost after every time I ate but strange thing was I was fine for a few weeks. I started eating more pumpkin seeds which have a lot of mag, salt and potassium and did a multivitamin. Seem to be doing better now and I also am laying off the fiber a bit from some low carb substitutes.
Max Power
AG
bam02 said:

tv1113 said:

Could be the keto flu. I got extreme nausea couple of weeks in the two times I've gone keto. If it's that it's an electrolyte issue. Drink some chicken broth.
I got some electrolyte pills off amazon that do the trick. Now when I get a headache I pop one of those and chug water to see if it goes away before trying Tylenol.

Not sure what extent your gut issues are, but if you're on a high fat diet and not getting enough fiber you need to take a laxative. Regularity can get out of whack on this diet.
979ag
AG
Howdy Keto-ers, I've been a lurker on this tread for about 6 weeks now and have been doing lazy keto for 5. I've dropped from 239 to 219 and feel great. I am needing some advice regarding spring break.

I am a student at TAMU who is making a trip with some friends out to the Smokey Mountains. I am wondering what I should do about Keto. I will have been on the diet for 6 weeks and (hopefully) down over 20lbs. Is it acceptable to take a week off and start again when I get back? Or will I gain a big portion back? Or do I just tough it out and eat meat and drink straight whiskey the whole time?

I am wanting to enjoy the trip, mostly from a food standpoint, what should I, or what would y'all do? Thanks
Bob_Ag
AG
Me personally, I wouldn't take a week long break if I was planning to continue keto afterwards. Doesn't mean you can't splurge a little here and there, but in moderation. Yep, I would bring a big bottle of bourbon to drink.

Ag97
AG
Apparently this diet is pretty freaking awesome. I'm kind of winging it the past 3 weeks and am down about 15 pounds. I've fasted during lent the past few years. I would sometimes go 2 or 3 days without eating and then only try to eat 1 small meal in the evenings the rest of the time. Sundays were always my cheat days and I ate whatever I wanted. It was an effective but tough way to drop 20 to 30 lbs in about 40 days, but being able to enjoy meals was pretty damn hard.

Since Ash Wednesday, the only flour products (other than what some restaurants might sneak into their sauces) I've had is a piece of wedding cake last weekend. I've found I don't even have the cravings I used to have for sweets and breads. What's really nice is I don't really pay attention to portion size which is something I've always fought. Ever since I was a kid I cleaned my plate, and since I've had my own kids I usually find myself cleaning up their plates after they finish. Needless to say, that hasn't been a winning recipe for weight control. Anyways, I guess with the high fat content requirement for this diet, I find myself naturally stopping when I feel full, which happens much quicker. 3 eggs mixed with 3 pieces of bacon, mushrooms, cheese and a handful of baby spinach and I'm good till mid afternoon. Most days I just have another meal like BBQ with coleslaw or some other meat with a baby spinach salad sometime between noon and 5 and I'm good for the day. Rarely am I finding myself hungry.

All that being said, I guess I have a couple questions.

How much do I need to worry about sauces? BBQ sauce in particular. I know many are loaded up with sugar, but are 2 or 3 tablespoons enough to do much to set back the keto process?

Are you guys totally off of breads and chips for days on end or do you allow yourself some leeway?

My goal is to get down to around 230 to 240. I started at 278 on Fat Tuesday. Weighed in this morning at 263. I really haven't had much chance to implement much exercise yet. I've done a couple 5 mile hikes the past couple weeks but won't start jogging again till I get in the 250's since my knees can't take the extra weight and kill me if I try jogging when I'm heavier than about 255 or so. Energy seemed fine for the 5 mile hikes. When I start upping the pace do ya'll think I'll have to worry about stamina with the lack of carbs?

For those of you who have done this for awhile, do you notice much of a plateau for the weight loss after awhile or is it reasonable to assume I will continue to lose 3 to 5 lbs a week until I hit my goal somewhere in the 230's?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.