Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,700 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I support this post.

On a related note...wtf with hangovers on keto?!? I get it: liver working overtime and alcohol probably hits twice as hard. Combine that with the Double diuretic effect of keto and booze and you've got a perfect storm. But, I had four drinks last night and feel like I had 10 this morning. Groan. Not to mention I felt like I was back in HS with how hard they hit me. My wife thought I was on drugs because I can usually hold my hooch.

The morning run is gonna suck. Pounding water and electrolytes to get me back in the game.

Anyone else feel like hell after a couple of drinks these days?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I drink bourbon two or three nights a week, and I rarely drink beer, as in I have had 2 in the last two months. However, both beers were high alcohol craft beers that were probably pretty high in carbs. I was wrecked by the beers, I wasn't safe to drive us home it hit me so hard. I think the mix of alcohol and carbs affects you more on Keto.
irish pete ag06
AG
NYE I had 6-7 drinks over a 7 hour period and I woke up feeling like I had drank double that easily. Salt and No-Salt mixed in water helped cure it along with ibuprofen.
SJEAg
AG
Anyone notice they sleep better on keto? I fall asleep quicker, don't wake up as much, and wake up feeling pretty good. Not to mention I seem to have vivid dreams every night...maybe a sign of good REM sleep?

Geriatric Punk
AG
I made fathead dough pizzas for the Superbowl. They tasted like real pizza and weren't nearly as much of a pain to make as I thought they would be. Highly recommend.
aggie98infl
AG
I made one Sat. and agree it was awesome. I also found a recipe using the Fathead dough to make mini pigs in a blanket and modified version of it to make pocket sandwiches that I made for yesterday. The pocket sandwich recipe is actually a breakfast one, but I modified it to be like my families traditional football watching one that has chicken and cream cheese filling. They were great. I made my parents the traditional version using crescent rolls and my dad said he liked the keto version better. He also loved the pigs in a blanket.

https://instagr.am/p/Bc8TRBPB0gG
https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2017/03/27/keto-morning-hot-pockets
Madmarttigan
AG
Is there a good low carb peanut butter? This Laura scudders is only 2 g net per serving but pretty bad. It ain't no jif but that has too many carbs
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
tv1113 said:

Is there a good low carb peanut butter? This Laura scudders is only 2 g net per serving but pretty bad. It ain't no jif but that has too many carbs

Almond butter
irish pete ag06
AG
How have things been since you returned to eating carbs? I think I will also eat carbs when I decide to eat at recomp or lean bulk calories. Thinking about following Leangains macro calculator for that.
Madmarttigan
AG
little iffy on that since i love peanuts a whole lot more than almonds
AggieChemist
AG
Almonds suck ass. They are the vegetable of the nut world.
AggieChemist
AG
I decided to fast yesterday. So I went from 8 pm super bowl night to this morning. Felt pretty good. Was hurting when my wife made cheesy potatoes last night but I wouldn't have eaten them anyway.

Dropped from a new global minimum of 241.6 yesterday to 238.0 today. I guess two crossfit workouts in a fasted state will do that. Will be interesting to see if that weight stays off as I resume eating more keto "normally" this week. I might use this again in the future 1-2x a month if so.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieChemist said:

I decided to fast yesterday. So I went from 8 pm super bowl night to this morning. Felt pretty good. Was hurting when my wife made cheesy potatoes last night but I wouldn't have eaten them anyway.

Dropped from a new global minimum of 241.6 yesterday to 238.0 today. I guess two crossfit workouts in a fasted state will do that. Will be interesting to see if that weight stays off as I resume eating more keto "normally" this week. I might use this again in the future 1-2x a month if so.
Wow. That's incredible. I've yet to do a fast over 16-18 hours. Seems like a nice little thing to have in your back pocket to bust through a plateau or jump start the fat loss again.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieChemist said:

Almonds suck ass. They are the vegetable of the nut world.
You're crazy. Great source of protein and fat. The salted ones taste delicious.
irish pete ag06
AG
Down 4.1 inches this morning and 13 or 14 pounds. According to Navy Fat calculator body fat % is down 6.5% (probably not quite that much, but at least it's a consistent measuring device through the whole ordeal)

Went into the squat workout this morning expecting a bad one and well... didn't happen. Busted out 8 reps on the PR set (was expecting to only do 3 or 4) and increased my max by 7 pounds. I am at 95% back up to the my personal best I set last May at 14 pounds heavier. When it comes to a ratio of squat max / body weight, I am actually the same, 1.53x my body weight.

I'm going to keep trucking on this setup until a plateau happens, but it doesn't appear to be anytime soon.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

How have things been since you returned to eating carbs? I think I will also eat carbs when I decide to eat at recomp or lean bulk calories. Thinking about following Leangains macro calculator for that.
Great. Feel more energy during workouts.

Downsides... easier to overeat. Since you don't have the fallback of "I can't eat that since it isn't on my diet" and carbs aren't nearly as satiating as fats.

Down to 16% body fat. I'm recomping right now because I don't really want to get any lower weight than I already am. Would like to get down to about 13%-14%.

I posted previously on here, but my cholesterol numbers are way better since reintroducing carbs.
irish pete ag06
AG
That's kind of exactly how I expect it to go also. However, at the point I start eating carbs again, I will be at a spot where I am not eating at such a drastic deficit, so that will help a little with the satiety (is that even a word)? Quick google search says that it is.
wbt5845
AG
I was doing a 24 hour IMF last year - I ought to start back up. Yeah, you see hellacious one day weight drop. You level for a few days after but overall it works. Helps boost the keto concentration in your blood too.
AggieChemist
AG
wbt5845 said:

I was doing a 24 hour IMF last year - I ought to start back up. Yeah, you see hellacious one day weight drop. You level for a few days after but overall it works. Helps boost the keto concentration in your blood too.
I'm afraid to play that card too often, but it was nice. I finally got below 30% BF to 29.6 according to my scale (not that accurate, I know, but it's been trending down).

I have hit a VERY hard floor of 232 pounds twice over the last three years. Once in 2015 and again in 2017. Each time I fought it for nearly a month, then gave up and gained 20 lbs back.

I'm hoping that the keto approach, and maybe a few fasts here and there will finally help me punch through later this month or next.

My "BIG" goal weight has always been 220 lbs, that's what I was listed at on my HS varsity football roster senior year, when I was in the best shape of my life. If I can get back there at 25 years later after spending two decades at nearly 300, I'll be pretty well satisfied with myself.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I do a 24 hour fast twice a month, it sucked at first but got easier and I like the way I feel. I also do a mini cheat meal as my last meal before the fast, helps me fight the cravings.
Max Power
AG
Plain almonds I agree aren't great, but I highly recommend the flavored almonds from Blue Diamond, I'm full on addicted to the habanero BBQ ones. The unfortunate thing for keto is that the best two nuts for me snacking wise are the most expensive. I can eat macadamias and pecans all day every day. My local Costco only carries macadamias very randomly so I eat a lot more pecans. I will also recommend pistachios in the shell because they force you to snack slowly.

If any of you snack on peanuts I do not recommend the ones at Costco, not sure what it is but they don't taste right to me. I prefer straight up planters.
agtwister_5
AG
Anyone have a recommendation on a good macro calculator/tracker app?

I've been doing lazy keto for the most part but am looking to amp it up by watching my macros.

Thanks in advance!
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger
Iifym
aggie98infl
AG
I'm using the the premium version of Carb Manager now. I had been using Cronometer's free version, but I didn't like that it didn't sort entries by meals. I didn't think their upgrade had as many options as I would like so I tried the free version of Carb Manager and liked it enough to upgrade. It has a bar scanner and a decent search engine, plus it allows you to import recipes from urls. They don't all work, but I have had good luck so far. It imports my info from Fitbit as well. The only thing it doesn't import is the weight, but that isn't a deal breaker, but it is nice to have everything in one app so I just put it in manually. I also like that I can use it on the computer or phone.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I use MyFitnessPal. I like it. It was a little annoying on Keto since it doesn't track net carbs, but it's not hard to just subtract out fiber.
irish pete ag06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I use MyFitnessPal. I like it. It was a little annoying on Leto since it doesn't track net carbs, but it's not hard to just subtract out fiber.
Same.

I messed with the others, but they seemed just a little too clunky. It may have been the familiarity factor too. I've used MFP for a long time.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm not really even tracking anymore. I have pretty well settled into foods I can and can't eat. I will track for a couple days if I feel like I'm going over where I want to be on calories.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Satan's offering in the break room this morning:

Holding strong, but...damn.
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger
Geriatric Punk said:

I just cut out the meat and throw away the diabetes.
SJEAg
AG
My office brings in kolaches on Fridays as well. I mutilate them and eat the sausage, cheese, jalapenos with a fork.
irish pete ag06
AG
https://lowcarbyum.com/minute-microwave-muffin-in-a-mug/

If you need a bread fix... here ya go.
AggieChemist
AG
Brutal. I'm in WV and we don't even have kolaches... and you're killing ME. God help me if I smelled 'em.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Speaking of tracking apps... does anyone use an app for tracking their weight lifting?

I'm using Strong for iOS right now, but wondering if there is something different/better/cheaper. Strong is $5/month which seems ridiculous.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger said:

Geriatric Punk said:

I just cut out the meat and throw away the diabetes.
Good call. Next time I'll do just that. Right now, the flesh is too weak. That, and they're gone.
Bob_Ag
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Not gonna lie, that's hard to even look at through a computer screen. Kolaches are my kryptonite.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.