Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,701 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

AggieGunslinger said:

Even if I don't keep Keto long term it has greatly opened my eyes to how much sugar is in everything.

100% this. It's changed me forever.

This. SO many "low fat" knockoffs I used to eat for weight control have tons of added sugar so they don't taste like ass.

Go ahead and have that blue cheese dressing! It's actually better for you!
07fta07
AG
I was easily in the 300+ grams of carbs a day range between rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit, and 4-6 pieces of bread a day. I assume backing off on the fat and holding carbs to maybe 100-150 a day will be ok for me long term. We'll see.
irish pete ag06
AG
07fta07 said:

I was easily in the 300+ grams of carbs a day range between rice, pasta, potatoes, fruit, and 4-6 pieces of bread a day. I assume backing off on the fat and holding carbs to maybe 100-150 a day will be ok for me long term. We'll see.

The American diet, man. It's so loaded with carbs. All from the same sources. Every processed snack out there it seems is flour + sugar + some type of Frankenstein oil.

Carbs are also cheap, so when trying to save money but not being nutrition conscious it is so easy to just fill up on processed carbs. And yes, all "low fat" things are carb added.
Guitarsoup
AG
wbt5845 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

AggieGunslinger said:

Even if I don't keep Keto long term it has greatly opened my eyes to how much sugar is in everything.

100% this. It's changed me forever.

This. SO many "low fat" knockoffs I used to eat for weight control have tons of added sugar so they don't taste like ass.

Go ahead and have that blue cheese dressing! It's actually better for you!

Look at La Madeline' Caesar dressing and their low fat option - you are better off getting the regular Caesar salad there. And it is Keto friendly.
nashvilleaggie11
Actually had a chicken ceasar with full fat dressing there yesterday (minus croutons of course). Not bad! And a nice change since when going out lately it's been burgers or a Rico Salad from my favorite DFW mexican place Mi Cocina.
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
Only fruit I ever really eat are a handful of blueberries in a salad or half an apple every now and then before doing something physical. I want much of a friend person before being keto, though.

Cutting down on fruit is probably why my wife would never go keto.
Average Joe
AG
My wife and I started Keto this week. It's only been 4 days so I obviously haven't seen much change yet. That said, I haven't once felt bloated or tired after eating. It's a nice change not to crash after lunch. Still working on a solid list of recipes. Keeping as close track of what we are eating so we can see what works. I can already tell Freebirds salads and a butter chicken recipe we found will be my go-to until we expand our menu more.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just as an FYI for those thinking that this diet may be a solution to cholesterol problems. I lost 20 pounds with this diet (down about 5-10 from last year during my labs). This year my LDL was 181 compared to 134 last year. So yeah think it just depends largely on the person whether your labs work out or not.
Formerly tv1113
Guitarsoup
AG
tv1113 said:

Just as an FYI for those thinking that this diet may be a solution to cholesterol problems. I lost 20 pounds with this diet (down about 5-10 from last year during my labs). This year my LDL was 181 compared to 134 last year. So yeah think it just depends largely on the person whether your labs work out or not.
It also depends on what you eat.

If you are eating bacon and red meat all day, your cholesterol may not be as good as someone that is getting their fats from nuts and avacados.
Ag97
AG
Totally fell off the wagon last week. Went on an offshore fishing trip and decided I was going to eat what they cooked for us and drink beer till my body said no more. Its amazing how much water weight you can add in a couple days. I want from 243 on Thursday to 252 on Sunday. Now back down to 248 and hopefully falling like i was before.

I did notice that I got tired much easier than I used to when working hard. I was fighting a large bull shark for a little over and hour and after we got him up to the boat and released, I was done for the next hour or so. Absolutely no energy. Thought I was going to pass out at one time. It took 4 bottles of water and 2 Gatorades to get me back to where I could fish again. Its a good diet, but I can see how endurance athletes would have a hard time adapting to it.
Guitarsoup
AG
I heard on Joe Rogan's podcast where he took his family to hawaii for a week, worked out two hours every morning, ate well, but drank everything he wanted and gained 6lbs in a week.
Guitarsoup
AG
Today was a milk of magnesia day for me. I've been eating tons of fiber, but I had to use the trump card on my colon.
atag
AG
Went to new Orleans for the weekend and went keto free for the first time in over a month and gained back 5 but I'm back down after a few days. Pretty sure its water weight. But yeah while I enjoyed the fried food and alcohol the bloaty feeling was gross. On keto I actually have abs again and I love it.
YellAgs
AG
Im about 2 lbs away from my target (23 down). Its been all diet. Next will be adding in exercise mostly in the form of weight lifting and adding some more carbs and protein back into diet. I know its gonna be real tough.

Rule 1 on the abs atag ;-)
YellAgs
AG
Just PM everyone, duh
MrJonMan
AG
I've read the first 10 pages of this thread...

Wife started easing into Keto about 3-4wks ago and I've been abstaining. Finally clicked to me that if I eat her keto friendly meals at dinner but also pound carbs on my own, I'm going to end up in a bad place lol.

So today is day 2 of giving this a shot. Said I'd try it for a few weeks and see.

I'm not necessarily overweight but could lose a few pounds and tone up a bit.

Right now I'm shooting for

30g carbs
142g fat
114g protein

Using Carb Manager ap to track stuff.

I typically work out 3-4 times a week, cardio and weights, so will be continuing that. I also typically easily hit that "10k steps" goal every day, usually easily. I'm more of a 12-15k person on an average day.

Biggest thing to me is the things that I never thought about, that have carbs, like coffee.
FbgTxAg
AG
MrJonMan said:

Wife started easing into Keto about 3-4wks ago and I've been abstaining. Finally clicked to me that if I eat her keto friendly meals at dinner but also pound carbs on my own, I'm going to end up in a bad place lol.

So today is day 2 of giving this a shot. Said I'd try it for a few weeks and see.

30g carbs
142g fat
114g protein

I typically work out 3-4 times a week, cardio and weights, so will be continuing that. I also typically easily hit that "10k steps" goal every day, usually easily. I'm more of a 12-15k person on an average day.

Biggest thing to me is the things that I never thought about, that have carbs, like coffee.
There's carbs in black coffee?
Average Joe
AG
jjeffers1 said:

MrJonMan said:

30g carbs
142g fat
114g protein

If you put cream and sugar in it, yes.
FbgTxAg
AG
Average Joe said:

jjeffers1 said:

MrJonMan said:

30g carbs
142g fat
114g protein

Hence the word black.
JamesBREI06
AG
No carbs in cream.
Whoop!
Average Joe
AG
inoffensive username said:

No carbs in cream.
In actual cream, yes, but flavored and sweetened creamers that are really popular with most people have sugar in them.
Average Joe
AG
jjeffers1 said:

Average Joe said:

jjeffers1 said:

MrJonMan said:

30g carbs
142g fat
114g protein

Hence the word black.
Look, not everybody read real good.
FbgTxAg
AG
Average Joe said:

jjeffers1 said:

Average Joe said:

jjeffers1 said:

MrJonMan said:

30g carbs
142g fat
114g protein

Hence the word black.
Look, not everybody read real good.
Username checks out in convo about coffee.
JamesBREI06
AG
Fact
Whoop!
Average Joe
AG
I do love my coffee.
agfan2332
In people's opinion, what is the max number of grams in carbs that yall would recommend?

I've read a ton of people say it's around 20g but I am a big guy, 6'4 300lbs, so my will power to just do 20g is pushing the limits, so I just wanted to see what people's thoughts on this would be.
MrJonMan
AG
I work a lot outside for my job so I prefer to have cold brew coffee.

Usually just buy the Stok Black iced Coffee. It's 2g carb per serving, even though it's unsweet
_lefraud_
AG
agfan2332 said:

In people's opinion, what is the max number of grams in carbs that yall would recommend?

I've read a ton of people say it's around 20g but I am a big guy, 6'4 300lbs, so my will power to just do 20g is pushing the limits, so I just wanted to see what people's thoughts on this would be.

I was 6'3 235 or so when I started, and my goal was 30 carbs (net). I'm down to 220 after about 45 days. I'm guessing you probably do 300-400 carbs a day (if not more), so I bet if you target even 50 carbs, you will start seeing a big difference.
bam02
AG
Everyone is different. Some can stay Keto at 50 grams or more per day once they are adapted. I'm 5'9" and about 175 lbs. I can stay keto under 40 grams per day. For you I would start aggressive and try to stay under 30 for the first month then start pushing it up a little if you are doing well.
07fta07
AG
There's a big difference between low carb and keto. If your goal is ketosis, just going "low carb" won't cut it.
agfan2332
Thanks for the insight on this! Trying to put together a plan this week and start up Monday with a new diet. I think 30g is a good start and up it to 40g possibly if I don't feel like 30g helps
MrJonMan
AG
I would say that technically I'm probably just doing low carb
CashMoneyYo
in order for this to work, you really need to accept the fact that you can't try and figure out how to carb your way into keto. However, the meals you can eat are usually very delicious and satisfying.

i do have cheat moments from time to time but man they really do delay the process.

but its hard. everything out there has a carb in it.

my goto when I'm out and about is a cobb salad - that's pretty keto friendly.
Max Power
AG
Perhaps the pure number of carbs is all relative. I think perfect Keto macros are 70% calories from fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. I try and stay under 20 grams net carbs but your number could be higher based on caloric intake. Track your daily intake and start figuring out ways to shave them out of each meal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.