Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,771 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
OasisMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.halotop.com/where-to-buy/

A lot of varieties
Usually 5-8 net carbs
wbt5845
AG
Ag97 said:

Started Keto a couple months ago. I weighed in at 280 over Christmas, heaviest I've ever been. Around 275 when I started. I'm down to 255. Went to the Dr. for my annual checkup. I haven't taken my blood pressure medicine in about a month since it started coming down. I was at 122 over 73 on Monday. Last fall I was normally 140 something over 90 something and had daily BP headaches. I've never had high cholesterol but even with the high fat diet I'm still sitting at 93.

I have noticed the weight loss has really tapered off the last couple weeks. I was losing about 5 pounds a week the first 2 or 3 weeks and am now down to about 2. Hopefully that will pick back up some when I start more cardio workouts in the near future.

The diet continues to be fairly easy to deal with. Food variety is starting to get a little monotonous, but I can deal with that. I do miss the occasional ice cream however. I could go for a bowl of Blue Bell right about now. Anybody have any low carb ice cream substitutions? I haven't tried making any low carb deserts and there don't seem to by many if any at all out there just to buy.

That slowdown doesn't get better. I have trouble losing 1 pound a week, but I was at 208 this morning (6'-0"). My target has been 200 but I'll try to push on to 190 over the summer.
irish pete ag06
AG
Slow down is normal. Some folks advocate eating a week or at least 3-5 days at maintenance level calories to jumpstart your metabolism.
irish pete ag06
AG
Anyone listened to the Joe Rogan podcast with Dom D'agostino? I'm an hour in and it's awesome.
Max Power
AG
So if anyone is ever in a pinch for a keto friendly meal, I have an awesome one that works anytime of day, Italian baked eggs, similar to Shakshuka if you've ever had that. You can get this done in about 15 minutes

2T olive oil
1 cup marinara (Rao's is the lowest in net carbs I've found)
.5t garlic powder
.5t Italian seasoning
.25t red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Put all the above ingredients in a small pot and warm to a simmer, cut heat to low. Dig a couple of wells into the sauce and crack an egg into each well. Cover and let cook for about 8-10 minutes. Finish with cheese of choice, parm, mozzarella, etc. If you want additional veggies broccoli or spinach goes great with it, as do roasted red peppers.

Optional: cook up some sausage before adding the rest of the ingredients.
irish pete ag06
AG
Man. Eating keto at a caloric surplus is actually harder than doing it at a deficit.
wbt5845
AG
So my achillies heel is upon us with baseball season. First game of the year for me is this weekend.

What I WANT is a big ol' order of garlic fries and a few beers. Rangers have something called ham fires that I'll try Saturday, but I'm guessing taking my own food will be the normal course of action.
irish pete ag06
AG
wbt5845 said:

but I'm guessing taking my own food will be the normal course of action.

Yep.

Green Chile queso with a whole brown bag of chips with a1 or 2 trashy trailer parks (taco with a breaded chicken tender for the meat). Wash it all down with a St Arnold's IPA. Ate that numerous times this past summer and at ALCS game 7 at MMP

That has to be nearly 400 grams of carbs alone
bam02
AG
It is actually what really pushed me in to keto last summer. I was fascinated by Dom's expertise and research. He doesn't come off as having any agenda whatsoever but truly is believing that keto may benefit so many terrible diseases that we struggle with today.

Funny timing of this is i actually just listened to the whole thing again this week.
irish pete ag06
AG
Fascinating stuff.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but I can't help but think there may have been some "lobbying" that influenced our food pyramid.
AggieChemist
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Fascinating stuff.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but I can't help but think there may have been some "lobbying" that influenced our food pyramid.
It absolutely has. Big corn and Big sugar.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm still plugging away with keto/IMF, dropping a pretty steady 2-ish lbs per week.

218 this morning.
AggieChemist
AG
As we get into spring (8" of snow forecast here in WV again tonight) I have to have some beer on my fishing trips. My buddy suggested I replace Sierra Nevada with Mich Ultra. Apparently, it's only like 4 g carbs per can.

I guess.

If I have to.
AggieChemist
AG
One of my go tos lately has been butter chicken

https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

I add habaneros and some bhut jolokia ghost chilis to it on the recommendation (and hookup) of my Indian neighbor.

The only thing that's hard to find is the fenugreek. If you live in a big city or have an indian neighbor you should be good. Otherwise, Amazon has it.

A big old bowl of this only has a few carbs and it's all from the tomato.
irish pete ag06
AG
I need to make some of these Indian food keto recipes!
irish pete ag06
AG
Just to let you guys know. TKD has worked for me. Right before I switched from eating at a deficit to a surplus, I had been bonking out and plateauing on my lifts a little. I started TKD 2 weeks ago and have now complete around 10 workouts with TKD and the plateau is busted. Just hit 280 (1.7x bodyweight) for 8 reps on dead lift this morning when my previous best there had been 3 reps.

In my coffee, I mix in 8 grams of pure powdered dextrose and a tablespoon of coconut oil. Gonna possibly experiment with using MCT Oil soon instead of the coconut oil as more of it is supposedly quickly mobilized for energy.
AggieChemist
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I need to make some of these Indian food keto recipes!
Yes, you do. Hearty, spicy, filling... great food up here in the frozen north.

Add some miracle rice and it's over the top good.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieChemist said:

As we get into spring (8" of snow forecast here in WV again tonight) I have to have some beer on my fishing trips. My buddy suggested I replace Sierra Nevada with Mich Ultra. Apparently, it's only like 4 g carbs per can.

I guess.

If I have to.
Does Shiner distribute out there?

If so, their light blonde tastes much better than Mich Ultra and only has 3.8 g of carbs.
irish pete ag06
AG
Dang. Didn't know that about Shiner's blonde. I just usually drink some Miller Lite. I really can't stand the taste of Ultra.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Dang. Didn't know that about Shiner's blonde. I just usually drink some Miller Lite. I really can't stand the taste of Ultra.
Same here. ****'s nasty.
AggieChemist
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

AggieChemist said:

I guess.

If I have to.

If so, their light blonde tastes much better than Mich Ultra and only has 3.8 g of carbs.
We have some Shiner. Not sure if we get everything. I will look for light blonde. Does it come in cans?

I don't like to take bottles in a whitewater raft.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieChemist said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

AggieChemist said:

I guess.

If I have to.

We have some Shiner. Not sure if we get everything. I will look for light blonde. Does it come in cans?

I don't like to take bottles in a whitewater raft.
It does. Can be hard to find, even for Texas. I usually have to go to Specs to get it in cans. They sell it in 12 packs.
irish pete ag06
AG
Guys, gaining weight on Keto is damn hard. I feel like I am eating a metric crap ton of food and I've only gained 1.2 pounds in a month (that includes a near 2 week plateau).

Gonna stick with it because I've become too addicted to this lifestyle.

Also, just to update, TKD is still awesome for performance. My weight room sessions have all been awesome, except the one time I didn't have time to get my TKD coffee in before lifting. That session sucked.
Madmarttigan
AG
I can only hope to one day have the issue of having to gain weight.
irish pete ag06
AG
tv1113 said:

I can only hope to one day have the issue of having to gain weight.

I understand. I'm hoping to get back to where I need to lose fat again too because I've added about 10 pounds of lean.
AggieChemist
AG
Due to a death in the family, I am fixing to embark on a six day road trip to/from Minnesota. I'm confident I can stay keto through sheer willpower and some snacks, but if anybody has tips, I'd appreciate it.

My fast food crutch is usually to do a big burger/no bun and a side salad. Any other tips for eating out at garbage restaurants?
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieChemist said:

Due to a death in the family, I am fixing to embark on a six day road trip to/from Minnesota. I'm confident I can stay keto through sheer willpower and some snacks, but if anybody has tips, I'd appreciate it.

My fast food crutch is usually to do a big burger/no bun and a side salad. Any other tips for eating out at garbage restaurants?

I try to seek out chicken places as well.

Here's what I do at Subway:

Chicken Bacon Ranch Chopped Salad (heat up the chicken and bacon)
  • Double meat the chicken
  • Mixed Greens
  • Just a few Onions (I like onions)
  • Jack Cheese
  • 1.5x Ranch
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt Pepper
  • Parmesan
  • Oregano

You can order it on the app and they'll have it ready as soon as you get there when you are on the road. Salads are hard to eat on the road, but this one isn't because it's all chopped up and blended ahead of time for you (including the dressing). Just pop the lid and shovel it down the gullet.

Almonds have become my snack of choice in the nut world (Blue Diamond Smokehouse flavored).

Most decent gas stations carry some type of cheese/meat snack nowadays for a snack at a pit stop.

Don't forget about pork rinds.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Jimmy johns unwhich (lettuce wrap) is money on the road.
irish pete ag06
AG
MosesHallEnforcer said:

Jimmy johns unwhich (lettuce wrap) is money on the road.
I still got to try this.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Two things have gotten me through spending 22 24 hours every other week in airports and on the road. 1st everybody sells Wings these days even the damn convenience stores, they may suck but they're Keto. Lastly i view travel days as good days to fast. When I travel I typically have very little option of what I eat a few nights a week due to work dinners, so I travel day is a good day to reset after being a little higher carbs than I wanted to a few times during the week.
irish pete ag06
AG
Oh also, I went to costco.com to buy some more of their Kirkland bars 2 days ago and they were on sale. A box of 20 for $13.99. That's an incredible value compared to Quest bars. I would be bringing a dozen of them with me on a road trip of that magnitude.

I bought 5 boxes yesterday.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Load up on these low carb tortillas (they're really good): Ole Xtreme Wellness Low Carb Tortilla

Go through taco bell and order grilled chicken tacos, extra avacado ranch. Dump it all into these tortillas.

We buy them at Walmart, but that link is Target.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
If you have to have some carbs on the road take a Pagg and a ketoshield before your meal. It should mitigate a bit of any damage you do.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Oh also, I went to costco.com to buy some more of their Kirkland bars 2 days ago and they were on sale. A box of 20 for $13.99. That's an incredible value compared to Quest bars. I would be bringing a dozen of them with me on a road trip of that magnitude.

As a quest bar fanatic (seriously, we have it on subcription at Amazon, 4 boxes a month), I've got to try those. That would save a fortune.
irish pete ag06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

irish pete ag06 said:

As a quest bar fanatic (seriously, we have it on subcription at Amazon, 4 boxes a month), I've got to try those. That would save a fortune.
Dude. They are the best. I think Quest bars may taste a tad better, but it isn't by much. The first batch I bought of Kirkland was really hard, but they've softened up the recipe and it's much better. I've tried the brownie, choc chip cookie dough, and cinnamon roll. I'd rank them:

1. Choc Chip Cookie Dough
2. Cinnamon Roll

Last. Brownie

I'm saying that and I haven't tried the Cookies and Cream or Choc Peanut Butter yet. I don't even like Brownie Quest bars though. Just not good.

Also, some folks have claimed that these spiked glucose because of a different type of starch than Quest, but I tested my own blood sugar using my wife's meter and it didn't raise it one point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.