Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,688 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wbt5845 said:

The only reason I went off was because it was impacting my half marathon training.

How so? I've been training for one in March. I've noticed a "nothing in the tank feeling" during morning runs, but evening runs have been crazy good. I've felt like I could go forever. I'm limiting my mileage, because my base isn't what it used to be, but most nights I feel like I could run at least another mile or two without issue.

Was it energy? GI? Endurance?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
wbt5845
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

wbt5845 said:

The only reason I went off was because it was impacting my half marathon training.

How so? I've been training for one in March. I've noticed a "nothing in the tank feeling" during morning runs, but evening runs have been crazy good. I've felt like I could go forever. I'm limiting my mileage, because my base isn't what it used to be, but most nights I feel like I could run at least another mile or two without issue.

Was it energy? GI? Endurance?
Endurance.

Routinely on my 10 mile weekend runs, I was completely wiped out around the 8 mile mark and had to walk parts of it. People of r/keto insisted "no dude just fight through it". But it went on for several week. Finally, three weeks before the HM when I had to stop at 8 miles, I said "f this" and went off.

I had no problem with distance after that. Ran my HM (never had to walk) and hung a good time (for me) on Saturday and went back on keto Sunday. Just now getting over the keto flu and hope to hit my target weight by the end of February. Only have 13 pounds to lose now, but will shoot for 18-20 and come off since 5-6 comes right back on when I go off.

My goal all along was to lose weight to where I could exercise regularly again. I'm there now and could plausibly just moderate calories slightly and continue to lose weight. But I have a family wedding in March that I'd like to be at my target weight for.

EDIT: My 3-5 miles runs have been excellent all along, but I attribute that to having lost lots of weight, not keto per se.
Bob_Ag
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I have officially been keto and eating at a deficit for 57 days (8.1 weeks) and it feels like my body has become fat adapted for sure this week. I do Wendler's 5/3/1 program and 2 lifts in this week I have seen a 9 pound increase on squat and a 6 pound increase on bench.

Wendler's workout has AMRAP sets built in (as many reps as possible) that is basically a chance to try and set a new PR every workout. On Squat and Bench I had not been able to must nor more than 5-6 reps on these sets, but this week so far it's been 10 reps on squat and 11 reps on bench.

Pretty excited about the progress.
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger
Pardon me if I don't wade through the previous pages, but what are you guys considering Keto? Are you trying to hold your carbs below 200, 100, or 50?

Are you ensuring your fat intake is over 70% of calories; or are you just watching carbs?

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
20-25 g net carbs/day.

I didn't watch my fat too much, but made sure not to go overboard and def made sure to hit my protein goal.
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

20-25 g net carbs/day.

I didn't watch my fat too much, but made sure not to go overboard and def made sure to hit my protein goal.
you guys should just take the full plunge and go straight on Zero Carb. You could trade out those pesky 100 cals of carbs for another 2 strips of bacon!!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Cry Yer Pardon Gunslinger said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

20-25 g net carbs/day.

you guys should just take the full plunge and go straight on Zero Carb. You could trade out those pesky 100 cals of carbs for another 2 strips of bacon!!
I'm not keto any more, sadly.

It messed with my cholesterol numbers... I shot up to 317 after doing full keto. Just got my numbers back after changing my macros to 150P, 130C, 70F and they are back down to 220.

I'll still probably use keto in the future for getting weight loss back down if necessary, but I don't think it agrees with my body long term.
irish pete ag06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

20-25 g net carbs/day.

It messed with my cholesterol numbers... I shot up to 317 after doing full keto. Just got my numbers back after changing my macros to 150P, 130C, 70F and they are back down to 220.

I'll still probably use keto in the future for getting weight loss back down if necessary, but I don't think it agrees with my body long term.
I don't think it will be long term for me either. I am a high school football coach, so eating Keto during the season would nearly be impossible. Like you said, I'm using to get to a goal body fat %.
irish pete ag06
AG
I follow the Ketogains approach. The main man there always says this.

Carbs are a limit (20-25 net g)
Protein is a goal (minimum .82 g per lean body mass)
Fat is a lever (rest of your calories are fat determined on your goals, deficit, maintenance, or surplus)
irish pete ag06 said:

Fat is a lever (rest of your calories are fat determined on your goals, deficit, maintenance, or surplus)
That's interesting; is there a place where your carbs are supposed to come from? I'm just wondering where the 20-25g of carbs would be a benefit over zero.

irish pete ag06
AG

irish pete ag06 said:

That's interesting; is there a place where your carbs are supposed to come from? I'm just wondering where the 20-25g of carbs would be a benefit over zero.

Fibrous green veggies plus avocados & cauliflower. This is to help with micronutrient intake and fiber of course helps with digestion usually.

Keto makes you diuretic and you need to replace electrolytes at a much higher pace.
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

20-25 g net carbs/day.

That sucks, how were your triglycerides? I've been seeing some data that overall cholesterol doesn't matter with regards to heart health near as much as the ratio of your triglycerides to hdl.
irish pete ag06 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Fibrous green veggies plus avocados & cauliflower. This is to help with micronutrient intake and fiber of course helps with digestion usually.

Keto makes you diuretic and you need to replace electrolytes at a much higher pace.
That's interesting; sounds like we're pretty much in the same place; minus a few green vegetables. I haven't had a true carb 18 months or so. Really interesting to see all the data on how unimportant carbohydrates really are in the greater scheme of health. I wish I had known about this when I was younger and thought eating a high fiber high carb diet was the way to a shredded physique.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Tris went up, but not much. 72-86
HDL went from 63 to 58, so also, essentially the same.

The LDL is what changed dramatically...
231 on keto to 149 off.
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

231 on keto to 149 off.
Geez man, I'm no cardiologist, but your triglycerides to HDL are awesome; regardless of your overall cholesterol. A 1.5 ratio is perfect. Did the cardiologist tell you to get off Keto?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

231 on keto to 149 off.
Geez man, I'm no cardiologist, but your triglycerides to HDL are awesome; regardless of your overall cholesterol. A 1.5 ratio is perfect. Did the cardiologist tell you to get off Keto?
No, but with my overall number and my LDLs so high, it's either statins or try to change them with diet and exercise. My numbers pre-keto were high (279 total, 51 HDL, 201 LDL, 131 Trigylcerides), but not as high as on keto.

I've got a pretty significant family history of heart disease so trying to do what I can to reduce my risk.

I'm trying to avoid statins if possible.
bigtruckguy3500
When you did keto, were you eating any and all fat? Some people do poorly when they eat the large amounts of bacon, coconut oil, butter, etc. But when they switch out some of the saturated fats for the unsaturated healthier fats like olive oil, nut fats, avocados, etc., they see their numbers get better.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

When you did keto, were you eating any and all fat? Some people do poorly when they eat the large amounts of bacon, coconut oil, butter, etc. But when they switch out some of the saturated fats for the unsaturated healthier fats like olive oil, nut fats, avocados, etc., they see their numbers get better.
Nope. Hardly ever ate bacon. Ground beef probably 1-2 a week. Lots of pork tenderloins, ground chicken, chicken sausages.
Would eat almonds, sardines, and cheese sticks as a snack.

My macro goals while on keto:
1400 Calories
135 Protein
<25 gram net Carbs
100 g Fat

Since my calorie goal was so low, I really couldn't waste calories with things like bacon and butter too terribly often.
aggie98infl
AG
I'm listening to a podcast right now by 2ketodudes and they are talking about the different types of cholesterol and how high numbers may not necessarily be bad. It is an older podcast, so I don't know if there is more current info, but I'm finding what they are saying interesting and worth further research.

This is the one I'm listening to now. One of the guys had gotten some additional tests after his numbers came back high and the other one is an earlier show after his first tests came back.
http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=16
http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=9

aggie98infl said:

I'm listening to a podcast right now by 2ketodudes and they are talking about the different types of cholesterol and how high numbers may not necessarily be bad. It is an older podcast, so I don't know if there is more current info, but I'm finding what they are saying interesting and worth further research.

This is the one I'm listening to now. One of the guys had gotten some additional tests after his numbers came back high and the other one is an earlier show after his first tests came back.
http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=16
http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=9

That's what I was mentioning earlier; it's not so much your total cholesterol that is troublesom anymore; it's the ratio of your triglycerides to hdl ratio.
bigtruckguy3500
It's certainly true that high cholesterol may not necessarily be bad when you look at it on a case by case basis. The problem is that when you look at all the data, there is a strong correlation between high LDL/low HDL and heart disease. There's some data that suggests that high LDL only really matters when HDL is low. But the only real way to get definitive answers would be to do very expensive controlled trials. Almost impossible. So in the end, the safe route for the majority of people is to follow the data and watch your LDL and try to maximize HDL.

I think at the end of the day, genetics play a bigger role than anyone cares to admit right now.
AggieGunslinger
AG
No money for Phizer et al if it is mostly genetics.
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Ding ding ding.
bigtruckguy3500
irish pete ag06 said:

AggieGunslinger said:

Ding ding ding.

To be fair, statins do have a proven mortality benefit.
irish pete ag06
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

AggieGunslinger said:

Ding ding ding.

To be fair, statins do have a proven mortality benefit.

True, but many times their usage could have totally been prevented by better life choices.
Post removed:
by user
AggieGunslinger
AG
That seems counter productive. If you carb load on Saturday and Sunday then I would guess you wouldn't drop back into Ketosis until Wednesday or Thursday.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I'm sure it has been discussed somewhere on this thread, but I am not wading through it to find a response.

I need a beer. A solid 20-24 g of carbs beer. I've been doing keto for two weeks or so now and haven't had any issues staying around 20-25 net so far. Workouts are solid. Face is thinner. Feel great. But...I need a beer.

From what I've read, as long as I stay under 100 net, there is a good chance I won't knock myself out of ketosis. My question is, how many of you drink beer (and don't respond if your answer has to do with michelob ultra or some sheet. Dude...that's not beer) and what have your experiences been?
AggieGunslinger
AG
I drink a beer made in Kentucky, it's called Blanton's and it is actually bourbon.

On Keto, liqour is your friend.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I'm a fan of that beer. Have an S, T, and N bottle in the reserves now. But, wife just bought me this (and I have a case of Hop Slam in the fridge) and I need to crush at least one:

bam02
AG
I still drink beer when I go out on the weekends. I love pale ales and rationalize having 2 or 3 when we are out sometimes. Sierra Nevada is around 14g.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Sierra is one of the breweries that got me into beer. Roommate was working for a distributor and brought home some 32oz bombers of the PA. That was the beginning. My wife then leveraged me up to IIPAs and the like. Sierra's Hoptimum is one of my all time favorites. Of course...it has 300 cals or something stupid. We hit up the brewery in Chico on our way to Mt. Hood for a race a few years back. Super cool spot.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Hop Slam
bam02
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

Sierra is one of the breweries that got me into beer. Roommate was working for a distributor and brought home some 32oz bombers of the PA. That was the beginning. My wife then leveraged me up to IIPAs and the like. Sierra's Hoptimum is one of my all time favorites. Of course...it has 300 cals or something stupid. We hit up the brewery in Chico on our way to Mt. Hood for a race a few years back. Super cool spot.

I had a work buddy from Chico, CA where they brew it. I always joked with him when id see him at national meetings that the mayor of Chico should fly me out and honor me my significant contribution to their local economy.

I used to drink an embarrassing amount. Pale pale, celebration ale, torpedo, ruthless rye ipa... drool....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.