Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

124,934 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
JamesBREI06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in February I started eating Keto and have had moderate to high success. Was curious if any long time Ketoers posted here and what their success looked like so far.
Rudyjax
AG
I'm interested too. I have only seen short term success but never long term.
P.U.T.U
AG
Look up Tim Noakes, lots of information about the ketosis diet. Works for some but like all diets not for everyone. Seems to work best for diabetics/prediabetics. Getting into actual ketosis can be very dangerous (especially for women) so be sure to see your doctor regularly.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
We've been trying a Keto diet with a carb night for a few months.
I have lost 10 lbs and some inches in my torso.
I know I need to track things better.
ethridgem
AG
I lost 70 pounds doing it a few years ago. Went off the wagon, gained it all back. Working to lose it again now.
Guitarsoup
AG
I combine it with intermittent fasting. Easy to follow and works great. What would you like to know?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Getting into actual ketosis can be very dangerous (especially for women) so be sure to see your doctor regularly.

How so? Your body can naturally get into ketosis overnight depending on what you had for dinner and breakfast.

Steak+ asparagus for dinner
Black coffee+ eggs+ bacon for breakfast

You are likely in ketosis by lunch.
Madmarttigan
AG
I dont think short term ketosis is what he is refering to.

The question I am curious about is, is long term ketosis harmful or not? I've been curious about this diet but I can't seem to find a reliable answer on that one.

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I dont think short term ketosis is what he is refering to.

The question I am curious about is, is long term ketosis harmful or not? I've been curious about this diet but I can't seem to find a reliable answer on that one.

He said getting into ketosis can be harmful. I don't think that is true or supported by science. People that don't follow the diet have probably gotten into ketosis more than they would think
P.U.T.U
AG
It's been a while since I read the article and I am busy as heck with work. I will at least see if I can find the author that wrote it and you can search. In short it said that women have to walk a fine line since if they go too deep into ketosis and do not get enough carbs it screws up their hormones. The did multiple studies and with lots of blood testing so it seemed like a decent study.
747Ag
AG
The main danger I'm aware of is the "keto flu" wherein one could easily become dehydrated and depleted of electrolytes. I've not read anything with regard to hormonal issues.
P.U.T.U
AG
quote:
The main danger I'm aware of is the "keto flu" wherein one could easily become dehydrated and depleted of electrolytes. I've not read anything with regard to hormonal issues.

This is what Dr Atilla found out, he felt like garbage and when he increased his sodium he was back to normal.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gotta make sure you get enough potassium, too. Coffee, spinach and avocados work wonders on keto.
P.U.T.U
AG
Dr. Tommy Wood

If you can ignore the host who is one of the most annoying podcasters he does give some good info on male vs female fasting and I think he goes into ketosis on this one as well. If not you have his name and can research on your own. Tommy is a medical doctor degrees from Oxford University and Cambridge University. He's currently working toward a Ph.D. in neonatal brain metabolism at the University of Oslo, Norway so he has the credentials

Dr. Tasmin Lewis
Found a better one, Dr Tasmin Lewis discusses ketosis in females. She is a doctor and before her baby won a pro Ironman race. She also works for a company that analysis blood results to help athletes and normal every day people fix their issues. Same as before, annoying host but good info from what I remember
aznaggiegirl07
AG
ketosis =/= ketoacidosis
aznaggiegirl07
AG
quote:
chicken broth or the like will fix this
Guitarsoup
AG
Spinach+feta+bacon and a thermos of chicken broth or beef bouillon is a regular lunch for me
747Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
chicken broth or the like will fix this
I do enjoy my wife's homemade beef and chicken broths. Don't skim the fat either. I haven't had too hard of a time with dehydration and electrolyte loss (maybe slightly once or twice). Down 30 lbs since I started a ketogenic diet. Since moving across the country, my weight loss has stalled (not as strict given the transition period).
tx4guns
AG
I use this diet. The hardest part is cooking and eating out, especially lunches. Bullritos and Feebirds bowls have been my go-to when I'm not eating salad. It can be done, but requires extreme discipline. I have fried eggs and bacon and black coffee for breakfast almost every day.
JamesBREI06
AG
ooops, I started this thread and somehow ended up not following. Still eating Keto. Down 36 pounds and up muscle. probably a keto eater for life. Starting weight was 205 trying to get back into the 150s
mts6175
AG
Didn't see the thread when it started, but a good read here if anyone is interested.

http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html
lawless89
quote:
ooops, I started this thread and somehow ended up not following. Still eating Keto. Down 36 pounds and up muscle. probably a keto eater for life. Starting weight was 205 trying to get back into the 150s

With what kind of exercise?
Cancelled
AG
I never understood people who say that ketosis is bad for you. What if you were stranded on a deserted island with little vegetation and no fruit and all you could eat was wild hog? Would you die? Doubtful.

Our grain favoring AMA and USDA likes to push grains, carbs and processed sugars. His many people die every year because of diabetes and obesity?
JamesBREI06
AG
quote:
quote:

With what kind of exercise?

Lifting three times a week with 20 min cardio warmup

Hour cardio three times a week
P.U.T.U
AG
quote:
I never understood people who say that ketosis is bad for you. What if you were stranded on a deserted island with little vegetation and no fruit and all you could eat was wild hog? Would you die? Doubtful.

Our grain favoring AMA and USDA likes to push grains, carbs and processed sugars. His many people die every year because of diabetes and obesity?

While I do agree the recommended diet has too much carbs and sugar, by a far margin, you do realize that everyone is not the same. Low carb diets are great for some people but others would cut their life's short by going low carb. Go to your doctor, get your blood work, and go from there. Then repeat every year and see how changes effect you
aznaggiegirl07
AG
quote:
quote:

While I do agree the recommended diet has too much carbs and sugar, by a far margin, you do realize that everyone is not the same. Low carb diets are great for some people but others would cut their life's short by going low carb. Go to your doctor, get your blood work, and go from there. Then repeat every year and see how changes effect you
dyslipidemia runs in the family...i've been keto , lazy keto, for a month and a half now....

my mom is worried about my blood lipid levels so i'm going to get them checked firday...i will report back when i get results back
bigtruckguy3500
So I'm trying to get more of my calories from fat, and I was wondering what you guys recommend as easy sources of fat. I'm not a big fan of super greasy foods like bacon, the grease is just a bit overwhelming for me, and I'm not trying to go keto, so some carbs are alright. Right now I've added some extra peanut butter into my diet for snacks, along with avocados, and I already eat a ton of eggs.
P.U.T.U
AG
Heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, MCT oil, whole fat cheese, steak
aznaggiegirl07
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

So I'm trying to get more of my calories from fat, and I was wondering what you guys recommend as easy sources of fat. I'm not a big fan of super greasy foods like bacon, the grease is just a bit overwhelming for me, and I'm not trying to go keto, so some carbs are alright. Right now I've added some extra peanut butter into my diet for snacks, along with avocados, and I already eat a ton of eggs.

Nuts
Max06
AG
whole milk
cheese
olives
fatty fish such as salmon, cod, haddock
chia seeds
fire09
AG
I wanted to post some results. I am doing a low calorie keto diet. (Target 1400 Cal / day) with protein and vitamin supplements and have had success with weight loss. I am 45 days in today and have lost 19.4 lbs, about 2 inches on my waist. I combine my diet with 45 min of aerobic exercise 6 days a week, and 3 days of light weights per week.

My starting weight was 195, I am now 175 and change. I am a 5-11 tall male, late 20's.

Discipline is the key to quick results. A cheat day can kick you out of keto for as long as 4-5 days.
I made the decision to get healthy due to depression and mild anxiety, and that has eliminated those feelings completely.

Would be happy to share more info if anyone is interested.
JamesBREI06
AG
Nice job Fire!
AggieChemist
AG
I'm convinced that the biggest portion of the success I had in my weight loss was due to ketosis.

I was eating paleo and doing crossfit, but I kinda hate vegetables and am too lazy to eat a lot of fruit. I was pretty much just eating protein and fats, with a few carbs from a few veggies and the occasional apple.

I'm pretty sure I put myself into ketosis and stayed there for the bulk of 3-4 months, dropping 50 lbs in the process.
JamesBREI06
AG
Just wanted to update. Started at 205 now back in the 160s! Football season has proven difficult to plan around as tailgate food/beer is my biggest vice, but I've still been able to lose more.
Rudyjax
AG
Wow. Great job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.