Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,783 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted above, Long and slow races it works very well with some people. And if you need anything other than water on 1.5-2 hour rides you need to do some water only rides. Your body has plenty of calories for that amount of time.

Right now all the current research shows carbs are still the king for high intensity work. That may change with more research but I don't see the studies being done for another 5-10 years
bam02
AG
travis37 said:

My favorite version of a keto eating plan was recommended by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale in a book called the Anabolic Diet. Essentially, you kept carbs under 30g per day but then were encouraged to eat essentially anything on the weekends. He had thoroughly tested the diet on olympic level athletes and had scientific reasons for the "cheat" weekends. I was extremely successful in dropping weight, while maintaining muscle. It did require a 2 week strict induction phase of low carb eating, without the weekend reprieve.

That particular diet also works well for your social life, allowing a lot of flexibility with food and drink on the weekends. I believe the Metabolic Diet has similarities to the one I'm describing. Long term, I've adopted a more balanced, but unique 40/40/30 diet that works for me. (I only say unique because of it's stress-reducing qualities.) However, there is no doubt that keto diets followed rather strictly can produce some amazing results. The one I follow now has helped me rid my body of arthritis and eczema (or at least any symptoms of) and at age 49 I feel much younger than my years.

Your ratios don't add up there. Do you do 30 grams or %kcals?
Justin2010
AG
Max Power said:

Bump, planning to start on Monday. Never tried any sort of eating plan where I need to be so specific on macros so it will take some getting used to.

Good luck! I started May 1st and have lost almost fifty pounds. I tracked macros religiously for the first six weeks or so, but then switched to lazy keto. Have started to plateau in the last month, so I'm counting macros starting again tomorrow.

Be sure to read /r/keto... Some amazing resources and encouragement there.
BanditoGold
AG
You're right. Typo. I meant 40/30/30. And I kept carbs under 30 grams per day on the DiPasquale diet...except on the weekends.
bam02
AG
OK. Gotcha.
claym711
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I posted above, Long and slow races it works very well with some people. And if you need anything other than water on 1.5-2 hour rides you need to do some water only rides. Your body has plenty of calories for that amount of time.

Right now all the current research shows carbs are still the king for high intensity work. That may change with more research but I don't see the studies being done for another 5-10 years

I'm talking more post workout meals. If I'm going all out for 25-30 miles with 1,000' of climbing (60-80 min Zwift races), body def feels like it needs carbs, but perhaps it's just a craving thing.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Been doing Keto for about 6 weeks. Lost another 8 lbs or so.

Only 7 lbs from my goal weight. May go a little lower since now my goal is ~18% body fat. Was at 25% about 15 lbs ago, so I'm curious what I'll be at once I get down to my goal weight.

Plan right now is to cut using Keto to goal weight... then slowly introduce carbs since I can definitely tell that my lifting (doing SL 5x5) performance sucks right now with eating no carbs AND cutting calories to only 1400. Not sure which one of those two factors has more of an effect.
TheClaw07
AG
Have any of y'all had labs drawn pre ketogenic diet, and then after about 6 months? I am curious if cholesterol levels are higher with this particular diet plan. Thanks for the input!
Max Power
AG
Been sticking to the plan since Monday. Haven't been able to track the macros straight up like I wanted due to work craziness but I've had under 20 carbs per day and I'm through the period where you feel like you might be losing your mind.

I did plan my meals ahead of time which was a huge bonus and I made some solid fat bombs to keep the fat grams up. I've definitely noticed that even though I'm not eating as many calories I feel fuller for longer. I consider myself fortunate that I love coconut since that's the easiest fat to incorporate. I've never been big on dairy, specifically cream cheese, so coconut and avocado are the best options for me to add fat during the day. The key so far for me has been planning ahead for meals, that's been the main reason I've been able to stay within the parameters.
Always_Right
AG
fire09 said:

I wanted to post some results. I am doing a low calorie keto diet. (Target 1400 Cal / day) with protein and vitamin supplements and have had success with weight loss. I am 45 days in today and have lost 19.4 lbs, about 2 inches on my waist. I combine my diet with 45 min of aerobic exercise 6 days a week, and 3 days of light weights per week.

My starting weight was 195, I am now 175 and change. I am a 5-11 tall male, late 20's.

Discipline is the key to quick results. A cheat day can kick you out of keto for as long as 4-5 days.
I made the decision to get healthy due to depression and mild anxiety, and that has eliminated those feelings completely.

Would be happy to share more info if anyone is interested.

Would you mind sharing what you eat in a normal day.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
Badman
AG
Have any of y'all tried fasting after a cheat day to get back into Ketosis quicker?
Sailor
Guess I should "weigh" in here. I went full keto after Thanksgiving 2016, with a short break around Christmas (homemade chocolate ice box pie, yum). I was 290 and now am at 225 and feel great. I don't eat sugars, breads, carbs, with the exception of fiber carbs at all. Feel great. I'm at my fightin weight now.
irish pete ag06
AG
Bumping this for the interesting discussion.
bam02
AG
It's been amazing for me. I'm the leanest I've been since college, but really probably my leanest ever. Becomes easy after a while. All while getting the strongest I've ever been, too.
irish pete ag06
AG
If you don't mind sharing:

How long have you been running it?

What lifting program do you use with it?

Eating at deficit, maintenance, or surplus?

Thanks
bam02
AG
I started mid-August. I drink more beer on the weekend than I should lately. I had to push through the Keto flu a couple of weeks into it. I attempted keto in January and got the keto flu then, too. I eventually got away from keto that time around as my wife wasn't on board and it was tough to do without her.

I am on my third round of Stonglifts (thanks to you)

I track every calorie Monday to Friday. Most days are at a slight deficit and the weekends are a modest surplus probably. So I probably am at a maintenence level on average. Right now I'm 5'9" and right at 170. I usually manage 80-130 grams of protein each day.
irish pete ag06
AG
Awesome! Thanks for the response. I've switched over to 5/3/1 and I've seen some decent results. The bad thing is that I am a high school football coach so I always fall off the wagon in late July.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I did Keto-ish for 3 months I think... Lost about a pound a week pretty steadily. I say Keto-ish because I think true keto has you eat more fat than protein, but that wasn't possible for me with my calorie goal (~1500 cal/day) and with my protein goal of 150 g/day. I still stayed under 25 g of carbs/day though.

A couple of weeks ago I hit my goal weight of 155 lbs at 5'8". My new goal is a body fat percentage of 15%. I'm at about 20% right now.

I reintroduced carbs about a week ago, but still eating at what most would consider lower carb (130 g/day). Really the only carbs I reintroduced are black beans and fruit... and only around lunch time since that is when I work out.

Macros:
1700 cal/day
Carbs: 130 g
Protein: 150 g
Fat: 66 g

I honestly have trouble hitting my carb goal on the week days. I do think that adding carbs pre and post workout has helped with my lifting. I did Stronglifts during that entire time and saw good progress since I was essentially a beginner. I guess I got the noob gains that everyone talks about. I've since switch to Phraks Greyskull, so we'll see how that goes.

I do the same as bam02 though... on the weekends I drink a little more beer and am more a little more lax with tracking. I don't go overboard and pig out or anything, but I don't kill myself if I'm a couple hundred calories over my goal. I still try hard to hit my protein goal though.

I don't know about the extra health benefits from Keto that some others have talked about, but I will say that eating that much fat and protein makes it easier to stay full and stick to under your calorie goals.
wbt5845
AG
I have gone from 290 to 217 as of this morning on keto. I am 6'-0" and 55 years old.

My daily macros:
Carbs: < 25 g net
Protein: 130-150 g
Fat: As reqd to satisfy and keep calories below 2300.

A lot of online resources said don't exercise during keto, but I'd been walking and started CG about the same time so I kept doing both (well, switched from walking to running).

I would drop about 10 lbs at a time, go off keto and stabilize for a month or so, then go on and lose 10 lbs more. Rinse and repeat.

I've lost more than 73 lbs of fat because my muscle mass has grown. I want to get to 200 lbs and see how that works.

irish pete ag06
AG
That's awesome stuff!

How long would you typically spend on your keto cycles?
wbt5845
AG
Depends on how diligent I was. If I was hard core 100% on it, it took about a month to lose 10 lbs.

#1 killer for me was beer. Bud Light is relatively low carb until you drink 12 of them.
wbt5845
AG
Oh yeah - and my wife, while supportive, is eating pretty badly right now. Lots of temptations around the house. This would be easier if she was doing it too but in the end, I control everything that passes my lips.
irish pete ag06
AG
Haha! I know that will be my downfall too.
irish pete ag06
AG
I hear that, although my wife is eating very low carb right now because of gestational diabetes.

How bad is the keto-flu and do you get it every time you go into Ketosis or not?
wbt5845
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I hear that, although my wife is eating very low carb right now because of gestational diabetes.

How bad is the keto-flu and do you get it every time you go into Ketosis or not?

I usually only have one day I feel run down and then I'm fine. Even the first time I went on it, the keto flu was not a big deal.

You will get drunk a lot easier. I stick with Jack and Coke Zero and one or two is enough to do me in.
bam02
AG
The first time I did keto and got the keto flu I was sick as a dog. I had an important meeting at work and fought through it but was miserable. I went home after the meeting but stopped at heb and bought pickles- I had this weird craving. I ate the entire jar and drank most of the juice! Weird for a guy thinking he was about to hurl, right? Well I felt better almost instantly. Didn't realize that the flu was brought on by lack of electrolytes at that point.

Second go-round off keto months later I did more research and was better prepared. I got really nauseous again one day but had chicken broth to drink. Disgusting, but effective.
irish pete ag06
AG
bam02 said:

The first time I did keto and got the keto flu I was sick as a dog. I had an important meeting at work and fought through it but was miserable. I went home after the meeting but stopped at heb and bought pickles- I had this weird craving. I ate the entire jar and drank most of the juice! Weird for a guy thinking he was about to hurl, right? Well I felt better almost instantly. Didn't realize that the flu was brought on by lack of electrolytes at that point.

Second go-round off keto months later I did more research and was better prepared. I got really nauseous again one day but had chicken broth to drink. Disgusting, but effective.

Good to know. Stopped by the grocery store tonight and decided to jump in attempting to be fully Keto tomorrow.

Any other electrolyte recs to avoid the Keto flu? Should I just oversalt my food also?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yeah. Salt everything.

Powerade Zero is actually really good tasting and has a good amount of electrolytes.

Good snacks to have: almonds, pumpkin seeds (in shell), jerky.
If you go to a party with chips (my nemesis) and salsa/guacamole, pork rinds are a surprisingly great substitute.
I like whataburger more than In-n-out, but a protein style double double is pretty great and still makes it feel like you are eating a real burger since you eat it with your hands. If you order a bun less burger most other places, they give it to you in a tray and you have to eat it with a knife and fork like an idiot.
wbt5845
AG
I've found pork rinds to be very filling. That's a "go to" snack for me.

My biggest challenge is avoiding the late night sweet food fix. For years, I had a bowl of Blue Bell damn near every night. I've found the Kind nut bars as a good substitute, if I can fit the net carbs in for the day.
irish pete ag06
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Yeah. Salt everything.

Powerade Zero is actually really good tasting and has a good amount of electrolytes.

Good snacks to have: almonds, pumpkin seeds (in shell), jerky.
If you go to a party with chips (my nemesis) and salsa/guacamole, pork rinds are a surprisingly great substitute.
I like whataburger more than In-n-out, but a protein style double double is pretty great and still makes it feel like you are eating a real burger since you eat it with your hands. If you order a bun less burger most other places, they give it to you in a tray and you have to eat it with a knife and fork like an idiot.

This made me laugh really hard.
irish pete ag06
AG
Wow. Noob gains I'm sure, but I'm a week into being keto and its' been a good start.

Waist has already dropped 1.4 inches. I hadn't even measure until my wife said something about it. And damn you can eat good doing this stuff with all this fat. I like fat.
bam02
AG
Fat
wbt5845
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Wow. Noob gains I'm sure, but I'm a week into being keto and its' been a good start.

Waist has already dropped 1.4 inches. I hadn't even measure until my wife said something about it. And damn you can eat good doing this stuff with all this fat. I like fat.
Excellent. Keep us updated.

I am not sold on this as a long time eating plan, but for losing weight it can't be beat.

I just finished CG Fit (a four week exercise/diet program where they do body composition tests at beginning and end). I lost 9 pounds and dropped 2.6% body fat BUT lost 0.5 lbs muscle mass as well. Was doing keto whole time.

I am ramping up for a HM at end of January and have re-intorduced carbs this weekend.
irish pete ag06
AG
wbt5845 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Excellent. Keep us updated.

I am not sold on this as a long time eating plan, but for losing weight it can't be beat.

I just finished CG Fit (a four week exercise/diet program where they do body composition tests at beginning and end). I lost 9 pounds and dropped 2.6% body fat BUT lost 0.5 lbs muscle mass as well. Was doing keto whole time.

I am ramping up for a HM at end of January and have re-intorduced carbs this weekend.
I will. I'm also doing Wendler's 5/3/1 with this to hopefully maintain lean mass. It's not perfect but using the Navy calculator I've already dropped 2-3% body fat (probably mostly water weight since ketosis makes you diuretic and pee constantly).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.