Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,767 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
theeyetest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, how do I figure out exactly how many grams of fat to eat in a day? App I'm using (KetoDiet) Says I need 213 grams of fat, 92 grams of protein. That seems like SO much fat and I don't know how to hit that mark. I'm scared that's too much for me lol
irish pete ag06
AG
That fat seems high and protein seems low. I'd recommend a protein ration of .8 grams per lean body mass. I follow ketogains approach which is geared towards at least maintaining muscle while on a caloric deficit.

https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

Use the navy body fat calculator to figure out your body fat percentage. Unless you know you're extremely active, I'd set activity level to sedentary.
irish pete ag06
AG
This post is pretty good. If you're not eating enough protein and eating as much fat as you want... that may be keto, but I think that's misguided. I still think it's pretty simple. Eat enough protein to take care of muscle. Adjust total calories to reflect goals. Keto is just a unique way of skinning that cat.

https://instagr.am/p/BfBC6C4FRL0
irish pete ag06
AG
By the way, I've decided to up my calories this week to maintenance numbers. I've been on a deficit for around 11 weeks, I've read that your body can adjust and slow down your metabolism on long deficits so I'm gonna do this to combat that. Anyone else read of using this before?
agtwister_5
AG
After putting my daily food into a diary I realized that I'm definitely not eating at a deficit . Going to make some adjustments this week to work on my calories.
Bob_Ag
AG
Well, I'm on my 4th week of keto. So far I've lost 12 pounds, gone down two pant sizes, and feel considerably leaner. I've also been working out 3-4x a week, but primarily just strength training. From what I've read, keto and anaerobic exercise are not very complementary, but I've made some real gains and definitely added some muscle.

Not sure how far I'll ride this keto train. I was shooting for a month originally, but now I'm afraid to eat carbs again . I'll have to have some kind of plan if I stop keto and balance out my macros accordingly.
texasaggie2015
AG
Just now seeing this thread. I started the keto diet about 3 weeks ago. I've lost about 13 pounds and my clothes fit so much better. I'm also not bloated all the time and just overall feel better.

My goal is to lose about 40 pounds. We'll see how it goes!
irish pete ag06
AG
Pro tip

Don't drink too much salt and/or no salt at one time. I had read what it could do, but this morning I experienced it. Rapid onset diarrhea. And I had squats. Needless to say, I did not PR today.
hamy
I never could live without my beloved carbs.Lol
bamdvm
Started Keto 6 weeks ago at 233 lbs with a goal of 170. Lost 16 lbs in the first 3 weeks but I've been stuck at 217 for three weeks. Have stayed in ketosis the entire time and maintained a caloric deficit. Also started working out 4-5 days a week with a mix of cardio and strength training and have maintained that for the last 6 weeks as well. Any recommendations for breaking through this plateau?
irish pete ag06
AG
bamdvm said:

Started Keto 6 weeks ago at 233 lbs with a goal of 170. Lost 16 lbs in the first 3 weeks but I've been stuck at 217 for three weeks. Have stayed in ketosis the entire time and maintained a caloric deficit. Also started working out 4-5 days a week with a mix of cardio and strength training and have maintained that for the last 6 weeks as well. Any recommendations for breaking through this plateau?

If you haven't lifted in a long time it could be adding some lean body mass is offsetting the fat loss. I recommend measuring your waist at the navel also. I've had some weeks where it's gone down more dramatically than the weight.
wbt5845
AG
On r/keto, the first question asked when someone hits a plateau is "are you drinking diet sodas?" While they have zero calories, diet sodas may confuse your body's insulin production system and cause you to plateau.

Also, since most of the initial weight loss is water, plateauing is normal after a few weeks. Just keep it up. I started only weighing once a week to avoid the daily drama of "did I lose weight yesterday". Too many variables involved on a day to day basis to make daily weighing meaningful.

EDIT - saw this has been three weeks. What are your macros? And are you truly honestly tracking every bit of food (i.e., really weighing everything diligently?)
bamdvm
I have not been tracking macros diligently or weighing food and calculating exact calories. My daily caloric intake for maintenance is 2500 and I've been trying to stay around 1500 by eyeballing it. As far as macros go, I've definitely been coming in under 20 g of carbs daily by basically cutting them out completely but I'm not sure what my protein:fat ratios are. Eating a lot of meat, eggs, cheese, broccoli and green beans. Don't drink sodas. Coffee in the morning with cream and monkfruit sweetner and water the rest of the day. Occasionally snacking on a handful of cashews or almonds. Maybe I need to be more exact on my stuff
wbt5845
AG
Cashews are a poor snack choice. One serving can have 30 g of carbs.

I recommend using MFP and using a kitchen scale at least for a little while. What you're doing is "lazy keto", which can work if you already have a strong feeling for portion size and carb control.
harge57
AG
bamdvm said:

I have not been tracking macros diligently or weighing food and calculating exact calories. My daily caloric intake for maintenance is 2500 and I've been trying to stay around 1500 by eyeballing it. As far as macros go, I've definitely been coming in under 20 g of carbs daily by basically cutting them out completely but I'm not sure what my protein:fat ratios are. Eating a lot of meat, eggs, cheese, broccoli and green beans. Don't drink sodas. Coffee in the morning with cream and monkfruit sweetner and water the rest of the day. Occasionally snacking on a handful of cashews or almonds. Maybe I need to be more exact on my stuff

You may want to double check your carb intake. They can be in some suprisingly high amounts in foods you would not expect.

i.e. one branch of broccoli, which I can easily eat is 40 total and 25 net carbs.
agz win
AG
Dang. I love broccoli but didn't know that.
irish pete ag06
AG
wbt5845 said:

Cashews are a poor snack choice. One serving can have 30 g of carbs.

I recommend using MFP and using a kitchen scale at least for a little while. What you're doing is "lazy keto", which can work if you already have a strong feeling for portion size and carb control.
100% agree. Get a scale and track it like a scientist. You'll start to get a feel about portion size and you'll realize some foods you thought were good, aren't.
JimDandy
I use the BodySpace app. Tracks total weight for each workout and overall weight lifted. Is also great because I am lazy and just go back and pull up a recent lift and redo it.
Hhilton82
AG
bamdvm said:

For me, I have found it helpful to go back to regular eating for a week or 10 days and then start over. Seems to kind of shock the system.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Here's my Keso recipe (keto friendly queso).

Can be doubled easily. If you double cheese, start with only 1.5X cream. Add cream or broth to desired thickness.

4 oz kraft deli deluxe, chopped up
2 oz medium cheddar shredded
1 cup heavy cream
1/4ish cup chicken broth
3/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp red chili flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeos, dice them up
1/2 can chopped green chilis
1 TBSP chopped cilantro (optional)
S&P to taste

heat broth/cream, S&P over 5/10 heat, until film forms on top
slowly stir in cheese with whisk, starting with a small pinch. don't add more until previous batch is melted
once all cheese dropped, kill heat
dump spices/cilantro, whisk until no clumps
dump peppers, whisk

Great fat bomb. Tastes better the next day. When re-heating you might need to add more cream pending how thick you made it to start with. Because it's heavy cream, some oil will separate on reheat. Just stir the heck out of it and it's good as new.
bam02
AG
Do you eat it with a spoon?
agtwister_5
AG
Maybe eat it with pork rinds/chicharrons?
SJEAg
AG
queso actually tastes really good with the parmesan crisps I posted earlier. I just make queso with sodium citrate (has it's own thread on the food board). Guacamole works well with it too. Salsa not so much.

bam02
AG
I could probably enjoy it with celery.
Madmarttigan
AG
Does Kroger sell the cheese crisps, if so where? Can't seem to find any there.
AggieGunslinger
AG
We buy the precut cheese squares and bake them in the oven. They aren't chips but they are a decent substitute.
JM04
irish pete ag06
AG
Sams club sells a 9 or 10 oz bag according to the website.
Madmarttigan
AG
If this diet causes bathroom problems those low carb tortillas posted earlier do the trick.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Ole XTreme wellness tortillas are great. It's about 5 net carbs for a good sized tortilla. I think they're far superior to a standard Mission tortilla.
wbt5845
AG
UPDATE: as of this morning, I am now 12 pounds from my target weight. 78 lbs lost - 12 to go.

My latest before & after.

Thanks keto!
irish pete ag06
AG
wbt5845 said:

UPDATE: as of this morning, I am now 12 pounds from my target weight. 78 lbs lost - 12 to go.

Thanks keto!
That's fantastic! Congrats!
wbt5845
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

wbt5845 said:

Thanks keto!
That's fantastic! Congrats!
I was stuck at 215 for like 10 days and this morning - WHOOSH.

Seriously, enjoy the 5-7 pound per week loss rates, guys - when you get to the simply "overweight" vs. "obese" weights, it comes off a lot slower.
jenn96
AG
You look great! Congrats!
Bob_Ag
AG
Bet that feels good! Good job!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.