Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ketogenic Diet

125,791 Views | 868 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Lsprott
JamesBREI06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, on the bright side rum and diet is my go to low carb drink. But hopefully the hangover isn't too bad
Whoop!
P.U.T.U
AG
Joe Rogan had Dom on earlier this week, good interview and he talks about where to find the info he was talking about. Being a 3 hour interview I thought this was one of the more informative discussions on the diet, benefits, supplements, and modifications. You can also listen on ITunes (what I normally do in the car).

The thing that interest me the most is the long term benefits and cancer prevention. He did not go into too deeply but he did say his co-worker wrote a book about a lot of cancers being metabolic, meaning a lot of cancer can be prevented.

Also interesting to note the diet was first researched for kids with epilepsy and now has been researched to help with about a dozen different things with autism being one.

PrincessButtercup
AG
Sumlins Oreos said:

Well, on the bright side rum and diet is my go to low carb drink. But hopefully the hangover isn't too bad
That was the first hangover I've had in years. And I only had 3 drinks. Wtf, ketosis. Haha not too bad though. Just a headache.
bigtruckguy3500
What's the highest carbs y'all have been able to take in and still have success? I know conventional wisdom is that you typically need to have less than ~20g of net carbs/day, but I was wondering if with sufficient exercise you're able to negate a slightly higher carb intake. Maybe around 50g/day?
Shelton98
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

What's the highest carbs y'all have been able to take in and still have success? I know conventional wisdom is that you typically need to have less than ~20g of net carbs/day, but I was wondering if with sufficient exercise you're able to negate a slightly higher carb intake. Maybe around 50g/day?

I've been doing it since April 1 and have lost 46 lbs. Male, 41, 6'0", started at 262.... down to 216. The key to this diet, IMO, is to become what they call "fat adapted". Which basically means that you get to the point that you're never really hungry. It takes about 4 weeks of stringing as many <20g days together as you can. Once you get to that point, it gets pretty easy. You can cheat a couple of times a week and it won't really hurt you.
Presley OBannons Sword
I'm curious who of you on this diet are not doing it for weight loss? I'm not overweight, I'm in good shape, and very active, so I'm curious as to what impacts this diet would have on me.
P.U.T.U
AG
Technically you can take supplements and still stay in ketosis, they have not done the long term studies on it to see the effects.

There is a laundry list of proposed benefits from better skin, healing, energy, reduced cancer risk, etc. but there is not a large enough study done. There seems to be a lot of benefits but what about doing the diet for 40 years? No one is for sure yet.

I did it during my IM buildup and won half IM. I am on a lower carb diet most of the time and like the lack of energy swings throughout the day. But I will still have ice cream with my family and so forth. I think for the most part Americans got sold on fat was bad and the sugar industry lobbied enough for so long that it will take another generation or two before we realized how much that has hurt us. Thank about the causes for death in America (seen below), I bolded the ones that could very well be caused by an abundance of glucose in the body. That means the majority of people could have lived a longer life by not eating as much carbs, crazy.

Interesting to note that a lot of the Alzheimer's studies are focusing on glucose in the brain (people are calling it brain diabetes). Also that the NIH is coming up with a plan to decrease type 2 diabetes by a huge number...by going keto.

• Heart disease: 633,842
    Cancer: 595,930
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
    Alzheimer's disease: 110,561
    Diabetes: 79,535
    Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193
bigtruckguy3500
Can probably highlight stroke as well, as that's a big cause of morbidity/mortality in diabetics.

Thinking about doing it just to experiment a bit. I did it for a week once before, but I didn't really plan it so well and didn't get near enough fiber. Ended up pretty constipated. But after about 3 days I could feel the mental clarity. Also I fell asleep quicker and woke up easier, never felt groggy in the mornings. Wondering about doing it with a 24-36 hour fast to kind of help speed up the glycogen burnout.
P.U.T.U
AG
I try to do a 24-48 hour fast once a month and I end up doing a 18-20 hour one about once a week. Kind of resets my system
bigtruckguy3500
Can you expound more on your 48 hour fast? Do you go from dinner to dinner 2 days later? Have just water during the day? Hows your sleep on the second night? What and how much do you eat at the end?

I think the most I've ever done was ~25 hours.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
My wife and I are on day 26 of our Whole30 and are considering switching into keto after we are done. Anyone else done that? Looks like we are mostly following it now, but we can eat cheese. I usually add carrots to my breakfast, but I guess I'll need to cut those since they have a bunch of carbs (I had no idea).

What does everyone use to track their macros? I used to use MyFitnessPal a ton and lost a bunch of weight off of it, but it looks like it only tracks total carbs and not net. I suppose that it is easy enough to just subtract fiber from total carbs.

I also used this Keto Calc to determine my Macros. Does this seem right? Daily calories seems low, but it's at a 20% deficit since I need to lose a little more fat/weight. Seems like A LOT of a calories from fat.

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

1519 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
25 g Carbs (7%, 100 kcal)
97 g Protein (26%, 388 kcal)
115 g Fat (67%, 1031 kcal)
P.U.T.U
AG
Yes sir, just eat dinner and then not eat anything. I do have black coffee but that is it. No issues with sleep, honestly after the first feeling of hunger that normally happens the day after I do not get anymore. I do notice I have more energy throughout the day when I do not eat. I still workout and do whatever I want. This is difficult to do with a kiddo so I normally do this traveling.

Dom recommends counting macros and trying to get around 75-85% of calories from fat.

If you do try keto buy the tools needed to test your levels and do the research before hand. Supplements help but I did not take any. It takes 4-6 months to get into full ketosis so you have to be serious about it.
bigtruckguy3500
So you'll workout at hour 20 or 30, for example, knowing you won't get any protein until much later? Is this cardio? Weights? Calisthenics?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Do you have a recommendation with where to start on Keto?
P.U.T.U
AG
I will do whatever workout I have planned be it weights or HIIT. I do not notice too much of a difference in performance. Remember it wasn't until recently when the human body had an abundant amount of food and people still had to hunt.

I would start here, this is the guy's website that is the youtube video above. The video is also good but it is 3 hours and they go off on a lot of tangents.

Shelton98
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

I'm curious who of you on this diet are not doing it for weight loss? I'm not overweight, I'm in good shape, and very active, so I'm curious as to what impacts this diet would have on me.

The two biggest side benefits that I have experienced are...

1. Much higher energy level... and it's constant. No sinking spells or sugar crashes after eating.

2. Greatly reduced heartburn/indigestion.
Shelton98
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

There is a keto sub-reddit that is very informative and inspiring.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
www.dietdoctor.com
TX_AG_10
AG
Shelton98 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

There is a keto sub-reddit that is very informative and inspiring.
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

I've been doing lazy Keto for a little over 3 months and I've dropped almost 35lbs. I haven't been as strict on my macros and I can tell that I've suffered because of it. I don't exercise and I don't think I'm getting enough protein so I'm pretty sure I've lost some muscle mass. However, I do feel great and I would highly recommend the keto diet. I just need to do a better job counting macros. It's just a pain IMO. Especially with home cooked meals.
O.G.
Anyone here on this diet/lifestyle that is also a distance runner? Curious to know how much the low
carb aspect plays on running when a lot of runners carb load on days before a race.

Lot of conflicting info out there.

Some language on this guy but:

P.U.T.U
AG
I was training for a full iron man when I did it, won a half by smoking everyone on the run and only had like 200 calories the whole race. I wanted to take more but couldn't feel my hands for half of the bike due to a 37 degree morning
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Been on Keto for a couple of weeks I guess. Coming from Whole30, it isn't much different except I can't have sweet potatoes and have to watch my fruit intake much more. Also need a ton more protein.

I've heard conflicting information on macros...

If I've hit my protein goal for the day, calories for the day, and kept my net carbs under 25g... is it okay to not meet my fat limit? I think I read on the keto or ketogains subreddit that protein is a goal and fat/carbs are a limit.
However, I've also read that if you eat too much protein and not enough fat, it will kick you out of ketosis.
Anyone have any recommendations?
P.U.T.U
AG
Eat more fat, yes eating too much protein can knock you out of ketosis.
JamesBREI06
AG
I like ketogains macros.
Whoop!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Eat more fat, yes eating too much protein can knock you out of ketosis.
How much is too much? And again, I'm not over on my protein macro, just under on my fat macro.
P.U.T.U
AG
From what Dr Dom said it was around 30% max, most doubt better with 20%
wbt5845
AG
I have a question. Have any of you been able to test and see how the keto diet affects your blood cholesterol?

I have lost about 50 pounds over the last two years by running and CG and trying to eat better. So my doc took me off cholesterol meds.

I have plateued on weight loss the last few months and would like to try keto But I'm afraid keto will play havoc with cholesterol.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
wbt5845 said:

I have a question. Have any of you been able to test and see how the keto diet affects your blood cholesterol?

I have lost about 50 pounds over the last two years by running and CG and trying to eat better. So my doc took me off cholesterol meds.

I have plateued on weight loss the last few months and would like to try keto But I'm afraid keto will play havoc with cholesterol.
I'm kind of doing that right now. I lost about 30 lbs in about 6 months but with good ol CICO and Whole30. My cholesterol didn't drop a bit. Triglycerides did drop, but HDL and LDL numbers stayed pretty much the same.

Keto diet seems like it would raise the HDL but your total number may stay the same.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Still going strong on Keto.

Electrolyte tracking is no joke. Been feeling light headed/dizzy the last couple of days. I'm thinking from lack of sodium. I looked at my macros the last few days, only about 2500-3000 mg of sodium when 5000-7000 is recommended.
Do you guys literally just drink straight chicken broth to supplement?
P.U.T.U
AG
Salt almost everything, especially meat
BanditoGold
AG
My favorite version of a keto eating plan was recommended by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale in a book called the Anabolic Diet. Essentially, you kept carbs under 30g per day but then were encouraged to eat essentially anything on the weekends. He had thoroughly tested the diet on olympic level athletes and had scientific reasons for the "cheat" weekends. I was extremely successful in dropping weight, while maintaining muscle. It did require a 2 week strict induction phase of low carb eating, without the weekend reprieve.

That particular diet also works well for your social life, allowing a lot of flexibility with food and drink on the weekends. I believe the Metabolic Diet has similarities to the one I'm describing. Long term, I've adopted a more balanced, but unique 40/40/30 diet that works for me. (I only say unique because of it's stress-reducing qualities.) However, there is no doubt that keto diets followed rather strictly can produce some amazing results. The one I follow now has helped me rid my body of arthritis and eczema (or at least any symptoms of) and at age 49 I feel much younger than my years.
P.U.T.U
AG
A 40/30/30 diet it not even close to keto
BanditoGold
AG
P.U.T.U,

I didn't say 40/30/30 was close to keto. I simply said that is what I have transitioned to, long term.
Max Power
AG
Bump, planning to start on Monday. Never tried any sort of eating plan where I need to be so specific on macros so it will take some getting used to.
claym711
AG
How does anyone that runs or cycles heavily do a diet like this? Seems like after a couple of 30 mile rides I would simply die without some damn carbs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.