*****The College World Series Thread*****

76,446 Views | 1008 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cy_Tolliver said:

I'm confused because my sip buddies assured me bdf was the best baseball conference. Two SEC teams in the finals is good, right?

Keep us updated on the excuses. OSU and child abuser, tceh got screwed somehow in their regional, TCU was getting calls, etc.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
The Debt
Gil Renard said:

blake2003 said:

Congrats to Florida! TCU can EAD.

And their TCU15 fans
fify
TexasRebel
AG
MaroonStain said:

Cy_Tolliver said:

I'm confused because my sip buddies assured me bdf was the best baseball conference. Two SEC teams in the finals is good, right?

Keep us updated on the excuses. OSU and child abuser, tceh got screwed somehow in their regional, TCU was getting calls, etc.

When did Oregon State join the Big 12?
MaroonStain
AG
In refernece to all SEC final...DILLIGAF about BDF...
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Goose
AG
MaroonStain said:

Cy_Tolliver said:

Thank god it wasn't a one run game. Imagine the moaning and whining about losing due to a ricochet off 1st base.
swimmerbabe11
BoerneGator said:

Sean98 said:

Watching Skoug hang his head makes my heart Happy.
I actually like/admire the tcu players all. It's their smarmy coach I dislike/disrespect. (although I recognize what's he's done there is exceptional)

A bunch of people have made comments about him, but I can't imagine disliking Skoug. Him and Travwr are incredible young men. He's chippy and super competitive, but a very good kid.
swimmerbabe11
In all fairness, Texas would have killed to switch regionals with A&M. They got screwed.
AggieFrog
AG
Agreed on the TCU players - we've met most all of them and we have a signed ball from most of the starters from after a game earlier this season (also have one from most of the 2017 Aggie team as well). From our experience, good guys all around.
BurnetAggie99
tu had the easier Regional based on RPI and team strengths. Traveling to Long Beach was a haul but the weather and environment are top notch.
gougler08
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

BoerneGator said:

Sean98 said:

I actually like/admire the tcu players all. It's their smarmy coach I dislike/disrespect. (although I recognize what's he's done there is exceptional)

A bunch of people have made comments about him, but I can't imagine disliking Skoug. Him and Travwr are incredible young men. He's chippy and super competitive, but a very good kid.

There's your reason why most fan bases will not like him. Same with goofy Howard and his sprinting to the dugout, etc

They are players you love if they're on your team but hate if you don't
swimmerbabe11
80% of the reason that college baseball is more fun than the MLB is that the kids are having more fun. As long as the kid isn't jawing off at my dugout or whatever, i love watching the players get revved up
Macarthur
Coppell97 said:

See ya TCU! All that will be remembered is that Texas A&M and TCU both went to Omaha in 2017.
If that makes you feel better about another exit at the hands of the frogs...
MaroonStain
AG
Sips get adversity witt the long haul to their desired state and it's "unfair."
"Thanks and Gig'em"
powerbelly
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

In all fairness, Texas would have killed to switch regionals with A&M. They got screwed.

It was an easier regional than Houston. Hardly getting screwed.
SchizoAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Waaaah. Call me when the committee decides not to award them a national seed because one of their players is injured. Or when their AD is on the committee and decides to award a national seed to his former employer instead of a top-8 RPI team with a superior season.
jkag89
swimmerbabe11 said:

A&M was a three seed, t.u. was a two. Also you can not put two teams from the same conference in the same regional. I guess Baylor could have gone west instead of the sips but after the Rice Regional in '14, I do not think the NCAA is going to put A&M and t.u. in the same regional unless one of them hosts.
W
AG
very true
W
AG
also have to understand how the longhorns think...to them going to the Houston regional would have been considered an insult.

they felt much more "distinguished" and "honored" by being selected to play UCLA and Long Beach with the chance to meet Fullerton or Stanford in the super. Got to be grouped with their west coast peers
BoerneGator
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Screwed? Pardon me, but that's laughable! What am I missing in this picture? Besides, they're sooooo far ahead of most everyone else in that department (hell, they're the direct beneficiaries of so many other screwings)! You'll get no sympathy for that crowd here!

Edit to add: hah! Didn't read the other responses before my post, but knew I wouldn't be alone with my attitude.

And swimmer babe, I enjoy your posts here. You're solid!
BQ_90
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Well it wouldn't have been us shipped out west but Baylor. We where a three seed, not a two seed.
The Debt
swimmerbabe11 said:

BoerneGator said:

Sean98 said:

Maybe you should check your glove for pine tar
Fightin Ag491
Never understood the overwhelming conference pride thing, tbh

When A&M was in the Big 12, I hardly ever recall rooting for Texas or Oklahoma or Baylor in the CWS or in bowl games
TexasRebel
AG
That's because the Big 12 never had any conference pride. Two teams wanted a power 5 conference stacked with stifled "cupcakes" to create an easy road to NCs.

The old phrase "iron sharpens iron" never meant anything to them.
BQ_90
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

When A&M was in the Big 12, I hardly ever recall rooting for Texas or Oklahoma or Baylor in the CWS or in bowl games
B12 was a shotgun marriage, nobody wanted it but nobody wanted the alternative either
The Debt
Fightin Ag491 said:

In the SEC, success rises all boats.

When bama wins national titles, that prize money splits 16 ways, 14 teams, 1 share for the conference hq, 1 extra share for bama.

When UK gets extra air time in march, they draw viewers, the SEC gets a bigger check and therefore we get a bigger check.

In the big12, it was a model of every man for themselves and the conference hq only made money when the most popular programs were visible. So who do you think the b12 is gonna side with when Texas runs out the clock against Nebraska in the b12 championship game?
Aggies2009
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

I think there is a level of respect that many hold for SEC teams outside of LSU (who many still want to see lose) that they didn't have for Big XII teams like Texas.
BoerneGator
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

We share a common culture with the SEC. Not so with the B12, and tu made it intolerarable. Now, we have natural rivalries developing with schools we share a mutual respect for. It's therefore easier to pull for them, and vice versa.
LSU Baseball Fan
We're going wholestaff for Game 1 and saving Poche for Tuesday. Fifth-year senior Russell Reynolds will get the start. I expect guys like Bain, Peterson, and Newman will also play a role.

Need them to limit the damage while the offense tries to solve Singer.
MaroonStain
AG
Did LSU play FLA this season?
"Thanks and Gig'em"
HTownAg98
They played in Gainesville and lost 2 of 3.
BanderaAg956
Still pulling for LSU, given I was born in Baton Rouge only a few miles from the campus!
tk for tu juan
Interesting, putting everything on Poche and Lange for games 2 or 3, and hope for a surprise in game 1
swimmerbabe11
swimmerbabe11
Rooting for Florida. Sullivan seems like good people and his kids seem pretty classy.
Fightin Ag491
swimmerbabe11 said:

Agreed they got probably a harder regional. People may not want to admit that, but A&M did get to play in their backyard and got pretty fortunate with their super matchup being at home. Having a large fan presence during postseason play is indeed beneficial, and the Aggies had that much more in Houston than the Horns did in Long Beach

That being said: It's not A&M's fault that Davidson beat UNC. Not to mention, while they may have had the "easier" route, they did exactly what they were supposed to and went 5-0 in regionals and super regionals. And while Houston was essentially in the Aggies' backyard, they still had to play and beat host U of H in the cougs' actual back yard. So kind of defeats the purpose of the regional being overly beneficial.

Plus, A&M hosting Davidson in College Station was not like the Aggies just stumbled across some lowly team to play against at home. Davidson had to beat UNC in their stadium, TWICE, and was just as hot as anyone else in the nation. Once it gets passed regionals, every team remaining is hot as a pistol, so the individual team strength argument, to me at least, doesn't hold as much merit.

If Longhorn fans are salty, they have their own team to blame for blowing a 2-0 winner's bracket lead in the Long Beach regional.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.