***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,277 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Updated OP

Mr.Ackar07
Jack's Twitter now says Texas A&M Baseball as well

https://twitter.com/jcon1744?lang=en
themissinglink
AG
I certainly understand why kids go to pro ball right out of high school and don't blame them for taking the money. It's a jump start on their career and they get the opportunity to develop from a professional staff paid to get the most out of them.

I am, however, shocked at how low the bonus he was offered and took (unless it's being misreported). He fell to the 28th round because teams thought he was going to college or his monetary demands were too much for his value. The scounting report on him was electric stuff and could be a very high level prospect if someone taught him to throw strikes and put him in a good weight program. PG had him as the #3 RHP in Texas (in front of #4 Jack Conlon) which means he likely would have been expected to be a weekend roation guy if he developed properly. He was considered the 246th best prospect in BA's top 500. For comparison, Conlon was 239th overall by BA. If he got drafted exactly where BA had him, he would have been an 8th round pick. I don't know what information he was floating to teams before the draft, but I have to think if he was open with teams about signing he would have been drafted in the top 10 rounds and gotten a higher bonus (even if it was $200-$400k).

The tweet I linked mentioned him having some elbow issues so I don't know the full situation with that and how that may have impacted his draft status or his likelihood of turning pro. Maybe he didn't want to go to college and have a coach abuse his arm (not pointing at A&M specifically).
mdanyc03
AG
The other piece of the puzzle (and we don't know) is the A&M side of things. Tylor Fischer is clearly very talented but in addition to the arm problems, he couldn't throw strikes or get anybody out his senior year and only pitched a handful of innings. With the unanticipated scholarship money we put toward Chafin, Sherrod and Conlon we might not have had more than a minimum scholarship allocation to give to Tylor. From a big league perspective he has the upside that makes him valuable, but isn't a guy we would have counted on to get people out next year and hence less of a priority when it comes to splitting up scarce resources than those other three.
oragator
Baseball is so unique from a recruiting standpoint.
You either have to recruit the absolute best and try to sort out how many you think you will lose. Or try and get the guys good enough to help but not good enough to lose to the draft.
Then, the part no one talks about, once you figure out how many are actually coming, you have to sort out your scholarship money and keep everyone happy. Someone unexpected coming in is great news until someone else gets less money.
It's a real interesting job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.